Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.

I don't think this shot quite happened in the movie but I admit I thought of it when it was happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 230 days!

Scyantific posted:

Karl Urban teased a "great story arc" for Skurge in Thor: Ragnarok, so really hoping that translates to "we're doing Death of the Executioner."

Probably, since his glorious death was prompted by the fact that the character never managed to be as awesome as he should have been up until that point.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

MacheteZombie posted:

Probably means he'll get 15 minutes of screen time instead of 5.

If those 15 minutes end with someone narrating "He Stood Alone At Gjallerbru, and that was enough." It will be plenty.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Pig and Rhino would like you to know that they are the stars of this Turtle movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogdnIjvvz_w

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 230 days!

Skwirl posted:

If those 15 minutes end with someone narrating "He Stood Alone At Gjallerbru, and that was enough." It will be plenty.

While Thor and Baldur toast him in Asgard.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Disney is looking to adapt serialized webcomic-turned-graphic-novel Delilah Dirk.

http://deadline.com/2016/05/delilah-dirk-and-the-turkish-leuitenant-graphic-novel-disney-movie-1201763479/

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 10:59 on May 27, 2016

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
There's been a bunch of articles come out these last few days proudly proclaiming that Wonder Woman will be the first ever film with a budget north of $100 million to be directed by a woman. Some of them have since posted a correction that there's been several other such films, such as Kathryn Bigelow's K-19: The Widowmaker and the last few films by the Wachowskis.

http://www.indiewire.com/article/wo...ampaign=IW_post
http://www.themarysue.com/wonder-woman-big-budget/

Still, four films out of the hundreds and hundreds with a budget of $100m or higher is a ridiculously low statistic.

Edit: the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission currently has an investigation underway into the under-representation of women in the top jobs in Hollywood.
http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2016/01/gender-discrimination-hollywood-women-female-directors

quote:

Part of the problem, female directors told the ACLU, is that male producers often make hiring decisions based on tired stereotypes. Women said they were steered toward romantic comedies and "women-oriented" movies, while the most lucrative, action-driven films went almost exclusively to men. Female TV directors said they were offered shows for women and commercials for "girl" products while being overlooked for car commercials or other types of shows.

What's more, Hollywood producers, who are overwhelmingly male, will often pick directors from short lists that contain few women, or through word of mouth. Women who haven't yet directed a major project often end up on the sidelines.
.... not that any of this should be a surprise to any regular CD poster, I'm sure.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 11:03 on May 27, 2016

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I don't see how it would be so difficult to make the male version of Domino

I feel where you're coming from but you can probably count the number of people who want to see any version of Domino on one hand

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Rosa Salazar from Maze Runner: Scorch Trials is your Battle Angel.
http://collider.com/battle-angel-alita-rosa-salazar/

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I feel where you're coming from but you can probably count the number of people who want to see any version of Domino on one hand

I'm indifferent to their plight.

Jim the Nickel
Mar 2, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

The MSJ posted:

Disney is looking to adapt serialized webcomic-turned-graphic-novel Delilah Dirk.

http://deadline.com/2016/05/delilah-dirk-and-the-turkish-leuitenant-graphic-novel-disney-movie-1201763479/

Hell yes, Delilah Dirke is awesome.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

The MSJ posted:

Meh and sigh. I already lost a significant amount of interest the moment Rodriguez was attached to direct. Shame... I would have been stoked about any casting news otherwise.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Does Rodriguez still do that thing where the movie he makes looks like horseshit, but he meant for the film to look like horseshit so it's okay then?

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Karl Urban was in the thor movies?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

teagone posted:

Meh and sigh. I already lost a significant amount of interest the moment Rodriguez was attached to direct. Shame... I would have been stoked about any casting news otherwise.

It's still based on Cameron's script and Rodriguez is working with Cameron on it. It's not a pure Rodriguez joint, and I don't think Cameron would have handed it to him if he didn't have faith it'd turn out better than Machete Kills and Sin City 2.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Uncle Wemus posted:

Karl Urban was in the thor movies?

Karl Urban will have been in the Thor movies.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Someone pointed out to me that Salazar strongly resembles Rodriguez's ex Rose McGowan. He sure has a type.

Now there's a rumor that Lord & Miller's animated Spider-Man movie (which will be unrelated to the live-action movies) will feature Miles Morales.
http://heroichollywood.com/miles-morales-2018-animated-spider-man-film/

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

The MSJ posted:

Someone pointed out to me that Salazar strongly resembles Rodriguez's ex Rose McGowan. He sure has a type.

I'm really not seeing it.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

The MSJ posted:

Not "Bad Pussy" from game of thrones boooo
Boooooooooooooo

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

McSpanky posted:

I'm really not seeing it.

I think I can see it if McGowan have short hair.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Not "Bad Pussy" from game of thrones boooo
Boooooooooooooo

If this leads to more people becoming aware of the amazing Sand Snakes fight I'm all for it. I hope BAA turns out equally well-staged.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

The MSJ posted:

I think I can see it if McGowan have short hair.

Aha, that does it yeah.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

So it seems like The Rock is going to be in a Shane Black directed Doc Savage: Man of Bronze
https://www.instagram.com/p/BGCDhYSoh0x/

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Oh boy

quote:

c-Con
Arrow's Willa Holland hits out at Suicide Squad and Justice League plans saying DC could learn from Marvel

Arrow star Willa Holland has hit out at DC Comics' decision to keep their film and TV universes separate, saying the superhero empire could learn a lot from fierce rivals Marvel .

Holland, who plays DC heroine Speedy/Thea Queen in the American TV series, spoke of her frustration about the situation, which has seen characters dropped from the show because they are getting their own films.

She said at MCM London Comic Con : "Marvel does it in their own weird way - the mash between Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D and the movies and stuff.

"So it's a little upsetting because you know it is possible and it can be done and how good it would be if it was done."

The rival comic franchise intertwines TV's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D with Marvel movies like The Avengers.

But while DC have just brought Batman and Superman to the big screen, they don't mix with the wealth of heroes on television.

Before, this didn't matter much as no hero doubled up, but soon Ezra Miller will take on the big screen role of The Flash - a role Grant Gustin has held for two series on the CW television series.

Holland and her co-star, Katrina Law, who was more reserved in her comments, said they both felt Arrow's Stephen Amell and Grant Gustin would "kill it" playing their characters in a movie.

"Basically you're giving the world two different Flashes all of a sudden," Holland added.

I like Willa but this is really, really stupid on her part.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

None of the actors on those lovely DC TV shows are movie protagonist material, even if the shows themselves weren't so tonally different than the movies.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Wheeee posted:

None of the actors on those lovely DC TV shows are movie protagonist material, even if the shows themselves weren't so tonally different than the movies.

Melissa Benoist. :colbert:

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

I'd say the one valid complaint is that given the lack of continuity between the films and television, it's silly if they're being forced to drop characters because they'll appear in the movies. And it's a bit weird they'd nix that for supporting characters considering they're full speed ahead with having distinct Flashes on both TV and film.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Maxwell Lord posted:

Melissa Benoist. :colbert:

Nope. :colbert:

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Wait so does Agents of Shield actually tie into the MCU in an actual meaningful way now or something?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Continuity is a lie.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The Flash movie in 2018 starring Grant Gustin, just watch 4 seasons of the show to catch up! That'll sit well with mass audiences.

Edit:

TetsuoTW posted:

Wait so does Agents of Shield actually tie into the MCU in an actual meaningful way now or something?

I haven't seen Agents of Shield, but I can say that it doesn't with confidence because the writers and directors of Civil War outright admitted to never watching it.

Detective No. 27 fucked around with this message at 06:14 on May 31, 2016

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

TetsuoTW posted:

Oh God no.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

TetsuoTW posted:

It actually ties less than ever before, now that the Inhumans movie was removed. This could have something to do with Ike Perlmutter being removed from oversight of the films but retaining it over TV.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Oh boy

quote:

Arrow star Willa Holland has hit out at DC Comics' decision to keep their film and TV universes separate, saying the superhero empire could learn a lot from fierce rivals Marvel .

Holland, who plays DC heroine Speedy/Thea Queen in the American TV series, spoke of her frustration about the situation, which has seen characters dropped from the show because they are getting their own films.

I like Willa but this is really, really stupid on her part.
It's especially dumb since the Marvel movies absolutely take precedence over the TV shows and the MCU TV shows have always been limited in what characters they're allowed to use. But the MCU is also a different model and they started with the films and then expanded into the TV shows (and was careful to integrate them), but when the DCCU started with Man of Steel it was after an entire season of Arrow had already aired.

Like Sir Kodiak said, if anything she should be arguing that the DC movies and TV shows should be kept separate rather than trying to awkwardly merge them after the fact.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Many issues with Season 1 of AoS was due to it having to tie in with the movies. With season 2 they started doing their own things more and things got better, but the ratings never really recovered.

A lot of people are already convinced that after Season 4, when AoS qualifies for syndication, the show will be cancelled.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

The MSJ posted:

Many issues with Season 1 of AoS was due to it having to tie in with the movies. With season 2 they started doing their own things more and things got better, but the ratings never really recovered.

A lot of people are already convinced that after Season 4, when AoS qualifies for syndication, the show will be cancelled.

ABC I think passed on another Marvel-based Series (Marvel's Most Wanted), too.

Marvel might really find the miniseries nature of the Netflix arena more to their liking in the long run, where a production can simply run its course rather than deal with issues of cancelling a low-performing, too-expensive or (un)popular show on the networks. I do wonder if Marvel/Disney have any hopes of maintaining a live-action series on a network concurrently with the films and Netflix, though.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

JediTalentAgent posted:

Marvel might really find the miniseries nature of the Netflix arena more to their liking in the long run, where a production can simply run its course rather than deal with issues of cancelling a low-performing, too-expensive or (un)popular show on the networks.

Or even, as the case seems to be, series or characters proving to be so popular that they end up ordering extra series.

I've never been a fan of The Punisher before but he was a real highlight in the second Daredevil series and I'm looking forwards to his solo series.And there's just 4 months to go until Luke Cage!

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Or even, as the case seems to be, series or characters proving to be so popular that they end up ordering extra series.

I've never been a fan of The Punisher before but he was a real highlight in the second Daredevil series and I'm looking forwards to his solo series.And there's just 4 months to go until Luke Cage!

And now I'm seeing the actor who played Frank in every movie I watch. (Sicario and Fury)

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

TetsuoTW posted:

AoS borrows some actors and reacts to the stuff that goes on in the MCU. The MCU doesn't really react with the show in any meaningful way.

The actress is complaining that the DC TV shows are explicitly barred from using characters or mentioning events from the DC movies. Plus the shows are actively being hamstrung by being forced to kill off or disappear characters who are going to be in the movies.

She's not saying that AoS has a huge impact on the movies, she's saying that the show is allowed to take stuff from the MCU and it doesn't hurt the MCU. So, she wants DC to allow them to do the same instead of making them kill off characters or forbidding them from mentioning Superman or Batman.

Edit: I still can't believe they had a show called "SuperGirl" about Superman's cousin and they had to just keep saying "my cousin" or show a glimpse of a boot, because they weren't allowed to mention Superman or show the full costume or actor.

Also, Superman only communicates via text message. lol

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 14:03 on May 31, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

I think she's cool.

• Locked thread