Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

Jose posted:

What wsd the point in that

paulie gets 3 grand, i get the robe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
It's over and the Swiss threw maybe 5 punches

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

What's happening? I'm too lazy to find a stream for a fight that's probably already over.

Haye was basically fighting a heavybag with legs and it ended in the second round.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

haye fought in the worst shorts

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
i'm glad dave broadcasted 6 segments where a woman read tweets off an ipad and then didn't broadcast the clearly pre planned haye/briggs standoff

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
Best thing to come out of the Haye fight was finding out his son is called Cassius.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Solid card last night of very close, if perhaps not the most exciting, matches. A bunch of guys who are good at spoiling fighting each other. All favourites won, but had to work for it. Judges did a pretty good job too, considering the messiness of some of those fights.

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
David Haye is a world class con artist

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

Honestly feel like Lara would get mauled by GGG after watching him vs Martirosyan. I know that I rate GGG probably about as high as you can given his opposition, but Martirosyan did not have much trouble cutting the ring off. If Lara takes body shots that well all night fine, but GGG has shown "catch and return" against him is a pretty awful strategy.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

There are not enough guys in rings now with huge moustaches and tons of gold chains. Just sayin'.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
Guys guys i think we're losing sight of the big story.

Shannon Briggs is getting a big fight in 2016 Anno Domini.

EDIT: Also there are-pretty obvious rumblings about Canelo-Lemieux for Mexican Independence Day weekend. It only makes sense that he 'steps up' and fights Lemeiux at 160 as a springboard to a big(ger) showdown with GGG in May 2017. 100,000 at AT&T Stadium > 80,000 at Wembley

http://www.boxingscene.com/lemieux-interested-canelo-fight-no-catch-weight--104893

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 01:15 on May 24, 2016

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

gtkor posted:

Honestly feel like Lara would get mauled by GGG after watching him vs Martirosyan. I know that I rate GGG probably about as high as you can given his opposition, but Martirosyan did not have much trouble cutting the ring off. If Lara takes body shots that well all night fine, but GGG has shown "catch and return" against him is a pretty awful strategy.

Yeah I think he'd get wrecked. Golovkin would have less of an issue catching him than Angulo did and I don't think there's anything Lara could hit him with to slow him down.

Probably will never happen thanks to a combination of network politics and Lara having no fanbase to speak of.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

so is golovkin going to be made the undisputed middleweight champion or whatever since canelo ducked him again and he can move up? i want to see him fight someone decent

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Jose posted:

so is golovkin going to be made the undisputed middleweight champion or whatever since canelo ducked him again and he can move up? i want to see him fight someone decent

He's got one guy left, Billy Joe Saunders.

Also I guess Daniel Jacobs if you care about lesser WBA titles, which not even the WBA do.

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

GGG might as well get ready to go on a tour of the UK at this point.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Joseph Parker beat Carlos Takam by close decision in a tough scrap on Saturday as well, which is not a great outcome for Parker. Parker showed fast hands and solid technique in the fight, but he wasn't active enough and despite his record (19-0, 16 KOs), does not have top shelf power. He also proved pretty hittable, tired in spots, and might have been hurt a couple of times. Recently, Takam has had 1 other loss, by KO to Alex Povetkin, and a draw vs Mike Perez, and Parker looked closer to Perez than Povetkin here.

Parker has a homecoming New Zealand fight against some scrub up next, but technically he's the mandatory to Anthony Joshua now. I doubt Parker's people are eager to make that fight, as Parker showed in this fight that he's firmly in the second tier of the division along with guys like Kubrat Pulev and (assumably) Alex Povetkin.

Cigar Aficionado fucked around with this message at 06:15 on May 25, 2016

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

While the Mayweather-McGregor smokescreen continues, it sounds like Mayweather has been visiting the Wild Cards gym recently. Pacquiao was recently elected as a senator and it's unclear whether he will continue in boxing (he said he wouldn't) but by all accounts he's open to a Mayweather rematch and has even been talking about competing in the Olympics. So keep an eye out for some goofy negotiation rumors that are bound to show up by the end of the year.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

what's the point

stay hosed off floyd and manny

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Neither of them has degenerated much or taken a significant beating (Marquez IV was four years ago now) so I'm sure both guys feel like they can still compete on the top level.

I'm not particularly interested in seeing them fight each other but I wouldn't complain if either of them fought on, they are both still phenomenal fighters.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

The Ninth Layer posted:

While the Mayweather-McGregor smokescreen continues, it sounds like Mayweather has been visiting the Wild Cards gym recently. Pacquiao was recently elected as a senator and it's unclear whether he will continue in boxing (he said he wouldn't) but by all accounts he's open to a Mayweather rematch and has even been talking about competing in the Olympics. So keep an eye out for some goofy negotiation rumors that are bound to show up by the end of the year.

I'm not the only one that wants to see Pac fight some police officer from Mongolia and lose because Olympic judges are weird, am I?

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Until very recently I was under the impression there would be restrictions for which professional fighters would be allowed to compete in Rio, remember hearing something about there being a window of 2 years where someone could have turned pro and still compete in the Olympics. I can't find any information on that now, just some stuff about the WBC threatening to remove the rank of any pro fighter that competes.

I have mixed feelings as someone who has never really followed Olympic boxing. I think pros have a HUGE advantage under the new rules (professional scoring, no headgear) and I personally think the Olympics is a great goal for up-and-coming young fighters rather than old goats, but at the same time having pro fighters compete would certainly drum up more interest than the prospect-scouting events of the past, and we could get some entertaining fights out of it.

By the way, aside from Manny Pacquiao I have not heard news of any other notable professional fighters that plan to compete. For a lot of top guys, competing in the Olympics will be a high-risk, low-reward proposition. If you're a guy like Terence Crawford you probably don't want to shelve your pro career for 3 months to compete for free against nobodies that could potentially beat you. The sweet spot for the pros that jump in will probably be 10-0 guys looking to jump their names up.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The Ninth Layer posted:

Until very recently I was under the impression there would be restrictions for which professional fighters would be allowed to compete in Rio, remember hearing something about there being a window of 2 years where someone could have turned pro and still compete in the Olympics. I can't find any information on that now, just some stuff about the WBC threatening to remove the rank of any pro fighter that competes.

I have mixed feelings as someone who has never really followed Olympic boxing. I think pros have a HUGE advantage under the new rules (professional scoring, no headgear) and I personally think the Olympics is a great goal for up-and-coming young fighters rather than old goats, but at the same time having pro fighters compete would certainly drum up more interest than the prospect-scouting events of the past, and we could get some entertaining fights out of it.

By the way, aside from Manny Pacquiao I have not heard news of any other notable professional fighters that plan to compete. For a lot of top guys, competing in the Olympics will be a high-risk, low-reward proposition. If you're a guy like Terence Crawford you probably don't want to shelve your pro career for 3 months to compete for free against nobodies that could potentially beat you. The sweet spot for the pros that jump in will probably be 10-0 guys looking to jump their names up.

You're right. 100% when it was first announced there was going to be a limit of total pro fights for Olympic eligibility. I didn't hear about it changing.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Pacquiao supposedly has some kind of exemption from the pro fight limit so he could compete in Rio if he decides to do so by sometime in the next week or so.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/olympics/rio-2016/2016/05/24/manny-pacquiao-comeback-philippines/84880994/

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

bute failed a drugs test. they're dropping like flies these days

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

At this point I suspect everyone of cheating and think the difference between fighters is in who can avoid getting caught.

The SituAsian posted:

Pacquiao supposedly has some kind of exemption from the pro fight limit so he could compete in Rio if he decides to do so by sometime in the next week or so.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/olympics/rio-2016/2016/05/24/manny-pacquiao-comeback-philippines/84880994/
Sounds like it's not going to happen. I'm a little relieved, it'd be pretty unfair for some 18 year old kid to have to fight Manny Pacquiao.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

The Ninth Layer posted:

At this point I suspect everyone of cheating and think the difference between fighters is in who can avoid getting caught.

That's sort of been the conventional wisdom for a little while but it definitely seems like they're taking it more seriously lately.

If I was a boxer using PEDs right now (which I guess is a pointless thought experiment on every level) I'd really think twice about it in the current climate.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Bellew scored a nasty knockout on Makabu last night. Not sure about the rules of linking directly to this stuff but there's a full fight replay up on YT right now if you want to catch it.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

So I've been killing time here and there by watching matches I've never seen from years when I wasn't following the sport, and so I occasionally run up against guys where I just don't know what to think about them. The latest example of this is Calzaghe. He didn't really out-and-out impress me, and online I see alternating points of view where on one side he's an underrated winning machine, and others saying he's just a chump who only ever fought other chumps or guys too old to make it worth it, like Hopkins. Thoughts?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Bellew scored a nasty knockout on Makabu last night. Not sure about the rules of linking directly to this stuff but there's a full fight replay up on YT right now if you want to catch it.

That was pretty brutal. I can't stop laughing at Bellew's somersault in the first round, though.

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008

Allen Wren posted:

So I've been killing time here and there by watching matches I've never seen from years when I wasn't following the sport, and so I occasionally run up against guys where I just don't know what to think about them. The latest example of this is Calzaghe. He didn't really out-and-out impress me, and online I see alternating points of view where on one side he's an underrated winning machine, and others saying he's just a chump who only ever fought other chumps or guys too old to make it worth it, like Hopkins. Thoughts?

Depends if you're British or American...
His stamina, workrate and adaptability makes a tough fight for anyone at super middleweight. He was overprotected until that Lacy win which I think surprised his handlers and even himself. Lacy was built up as the middleweight Mike Tyson and Joe slapped the soul out of him. The Kessler fight was him at his best though.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I'm English, so I've probably got some bias against the Welshman, but I see him as a guy who was legitimately very good but picked and chose match-ups at the end, got his biggest names on his record when they were past their best and was lucky with some decisions too. I don't think he'd have taken RJJ at his best, nor maybe B-Hop. He definitely didn't want any of Carl Froch at any time, even though I think he probably would have beaten him.

I wouldn't consider him among the best of all time though.

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

With the exception of RJJ, I don't know that Calzaghe could have done a ton more to cement his legacy. It wasn't really his fault that he was rising to power at the time the previous generation of British fighters in the weight class were on their way out. He certainly could have fought Froch (and probably would have beat him) but there a lot of guys who don't take that fight at that stage of their careers.

He is probably the best pure 168er we have seen so far, but part of that is a fluky division and the other leading lights of his generation going by the division to more lucrative fights. From 2005-2008, he has a pretty decent stack of wins against guys at the time who were seen as legit (especially Veit, Lacy and Kessler). I honestly think his style gives Hopkins trouble no matter what weight class they fight at, his work rate and timing were very high level in my opinion.

If i could have picked one guy for him to fight at 168 in a prime vs prime type of match up, I'd probably go with Ward.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Dan Rafael is "live tweeting" some mock boxing bbq thing.

https://twitter.com/danrafaelespn/status/737343151740989440

https://twitter.com/danrafaelespn/status/737331935043833857

https://twitter.com/danrafaelespn/status/737332306264883202

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 19:26 on May 30, 2016

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

:chloe:

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

The SituAsian posted:

Guys guys i think we're losing sight of the big story.

Shannon Briggs is getting a big fight in 2016 Anno Domini.

EDIT: Also there are-pretty obvious rumblings about Canelo-Lemieux for Mexican Independence Day weekend. It only makes sense that he 'steps up' and fights Lemeiux at 160 as a springboard to a big(ger) showdown with GGG in May 2017. 100,000 at AT&T Stadium > 80,000 at Wembley

http://www.boxingscene.com/lemieux-interested-canelo-fight-no-catch-weight--104893

Happy for Shannon that he gets a great payday, but I think the best case scenario here for him is he and Haye have a relatively entertaining fight that Haye wins easily and no one gets hurt. Would be wild if he scored a fluke knockout but he's already got a nice comeback story at this point regardless.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I'm English, so I've probably got some bias against the Welshman, but I see him as a guy who was legitimately very good but picked and chose match-ups at the end, got his biggest names on his record when they were past their best and was lucky with some decisions too. I don't think he'd have taken RJJ at his best, nor maybe B-Hop. He definitely didn't want any of Carl Froch at any time, even though I think he probably would have beaten him.

I wouldn't consider him among the best of all time though.

Pretty much this. Keep in mind that Calzaghe won his first title in 1997 against an old Chris Eubank and didn't "step up" until 2006, against Jeff Lacy, who didn't turn out to be world class. Then he fought Sakio Bika (gatekeeper) and Peter Manfredo Jr (tomato can) before beating Mikkel Kessler (his best win), then finally came over at the end of his career and fought aged 40+ versions of Roy Jones Jr and Bernard Hopkins. That's his whole career, and he arguably fought zero pound-for-pound talent level fighters (Kessler was on the fringe). He gets some credit for outworking an old but still effective Hopkins, but Jones was totally shot by the time of their fight. Carl Froch was a much more relevant, dangerous opponent and Calzaghe avoided him.

Calzaghe was basically a poor man's Jones. Slick, fast handed fighter without the power or otherworldly athleticism. He dominated on the domestic scene (though had tough fights with guys like Robin Reid and David Starie), but never really challenged himself against the true world elite. His best win, against Mikkel Kessler, did not age particularly well, as Kessler would prove to be a very good but not a great fighter.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Kessler is still a great scalp though.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

how much of calzaghe not fighting the best is that they avoided him because he wasn't a big enough name to be worth a fight they could well lose?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Kessler is still a great scalp though.

That was a great fight too, gonna have to look that up later on and watch it again.

• Locked thread