Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Ambaire posted:

How do I change the default respawn time to be maybe a second at the longest? I'm loving tired of staring at 'YOU DIED, fuckwad' for an eternity. wasted enough of my life already staring at this stupid poo poo

There's a mod for that but I don't know if any mod loaders have updated yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fizbin
Nov 1, 2004
Zoom!
Is there a reliable way to keep monsters from spawning in the splashdown pool at the bottom of my hellevator? I would like to be able to occasionally use it to hide from (expert hardmode mediumcore) goblin invasions and such, but that doesn't work very well if I land directly on a blood jelly. I thought I had it solved when I put background walls up for a couple screens, but once I hit hardmode that stopped working. Hopefully that's just because the spirit V started ~600' west of center and corrupted a lot of my shaft, since that's fixable.

Also, it's really annoying that I always seem to get the hallow side going directly into my snow biome(i.e. no surface Hallow), which means my Crimson/Corruption side goes into my jungle(not really gameplay bad but I like to keep my surface jungle). The Crimson side already has a big head start and is far more dangerous above and below ground, while the Hallow has a lot of the important drops (horns/dust/shards/rod).

It's also a little weird to me that Ichor is so much more useful than Cursed Flames, although I guess it's kind of(?) balanced by the blindfold being a 2% drop in Crimson and and an ~8% drop in Corruption, and also the Crimson Heart being nearly useless.

edit: there should really be a built-in mirror hotkey so I can quickly use it without accidentally using it.

Fizbin fucked around with this message at 02:23 on May 30, 2016

way to go steve
Jan 1, 2010
So I put about a hundred hours into this back in 1.1 and had a pretty good time. I've been thinking about starting up again now that my Stardew playthrough has tapered off, but I have some concerns.

What's up with fishing? I haven't tried it or anything, but the op has a whole bit about setting up auto hotkey to run while you're afk, and that raises some red flags for me. If it's just mindless tedium, would I be missing much by ignoring it completely? I never felt like terraria was lacking in ways to kill time.

Also, how much content is gated behind this expert mode? I tried it a little and poo poo had an overly obnoxious amount of health. Having to hit basic enemies 20 times isn't fun at all to me. I guess I'd have to make multiple worlds in order to check out new stuff for both crimson and corruption anyway. I could split my playing between modes, but I guess I'm wondering if it's even worth it.

If the new content is blocked behind stuff you're better off automating and tedious hp sponges I'd rather just keep my good memories of the game and find something else to do. Does it get better, or do the updates just cater to the hardcore crowd?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

way to go steve posted:

So I put about a hundred hours into this back in 1.1 and had a pretty good time. I've been thinking about starting up again now that my Stardew playthrough has tapered off, but I have some concerns.

What's up with fishing? I haven't tried it or anything, but the op has a whole bit about setting up auto hotkey to run while you're afk, and that raises some red flags for me. If it's just mindless tedium, would I be missing much by ignoring it completely? I never felt like terraria was lacking in ways to kill time.

Also, how much content is gated behind this expert mode? I tried it a little and poo poo had an overly obnoxious amount of health. Having to hit basic enemies 20 times isn't fun at all to me. I guess I'd have to make multiple worlds in order to check out new stuff for both crimson and corruption anyway. I could split my playing between modes, but I guess I'm wondering if it's even worth it.

If the new content is blocked behind stuff you're better off automating and tedious hp sponges I'd rather just keep my good memories of the game and find something else to do. Does it get better, or do the updates just cater to the hardcore crowd?

Don't do expert mode. Only a few items that drop from bosses are exclusive to it, and most of them aren't that great or just too situational. If you really want them, bring in a more powerful character into an Expert mode world.

Fishing isn't really vital, but it can let you sequence break the game hard.

There's a lot of new stuff that came in 1.2 and 1.3, and only a very small fraction of what was introduced in 1.3 was gated behind expert.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

way to go steve posted:

Fishing is just a tedious way to skip normal mode and the first part of hardmode. If you do enough early on you can have end of normal weapons and then a mountain of hardmode ores as soon as you kill Wall of Flesh. There's also a bunch of buff potions that require fish to make, which sucks balls if you have a build that wants them.

Expert content is limited to one item per boss. They kinda blow their load on those early, with eater's 17% damage reduction accessory and WoF's accessory slot. It's meant for people who know where all the good stuff is and don't waste a lot of time on crap like iron armor and early melee weapons. You'll want to have a pretty big platform arena for bosses so that you can avoid taking too many hits.

Fizbin
Nov 1, 2004
Zoom!

way to go steve posted:

Fishing can be used to skip chunks of the regular progression of the game, but automating it(or even doing it, in non-expert difficulty) is definitely not mandatory. There's an optional item that requires 3 rare fishing quest rewards to complete, but it just takes up more inventory space if you don't do it.

Expert mode adds new attack patterns to bosses, and each boss has a special expert-exclusive drop, but most of them are not super exciting, unless you're the sort that really likes the extra challenge. It basically makes the whole game feel like the beginning of hardmode, which is definitely not for everyone.

Fizbin fucked around with this message at 03:09 on May 30, 2016

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

way to go steve posted:

You don't need to fish. There's some fun stuff you can only get by fishing quests, and you can also use fishing to sequence break, but none of it is required.

quote:

Basically no content. The bosses have some new moves and attack patterns and you get another accessory slot, and also drop special expert only weapons and accessories. I can't think of anything else. It's mostly just for people who think the normal game is too easy and want it to be harder.

e: Dr. Fetus also mentioned this but I think it bears repeating: 1.2 and 1.3 added a TON of content to the game that isn't fishing or expert mode related. If you haven't played since 1.1 I think you'll have a ton of fun playing again.

Lowen fucked around with this message at 03:10 on May 30, 2016

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Fishing provides:
1) A way to sequence break normal mode by catching a fish that can be used as a pickaxe that is as powerful as the Molten Pickax,
2) A way to sequence break hardmode by catching crates, which when opened in hardmode can give you any of the 6 hardmode ore, even if you obtain the crate in normal mode,
3) Ingredients for a number of powerful potions, e.g. Endurance Potions, Lifeforce Potions, and Ammo Reservation Potions,
4) A bunch of accessories and tools of varying utility through the Angler Quests, including items for the PDA/cellphone.

The Autohotkey stuff is for #2 and possibly #3, and maybe #4 if you get lucky and catch one of those fish outside a quest. It's absolutely not necessary if you want to do fishing! And you definitely don't have to do fishing if you don't want to do.
Personally I enjoyed the power fishing gave me (through 1 and 2), and 3 and 4 are definitely worth doing in any playthrough in my opinion.

e:f;b, should really refresh before posting.

Fizbin
Nov 1, 2004
Zoom!
Also in expert enemies generally drop more money, and certain bosses have some vanity items they can drop, but it's definitely nothing gamebreaking.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

That extra accessory slot ONLY works in expert mode by the way.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I don't remember when it was added but the guide is useful and can show you how to craft anything if you give him a material.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
There's always the wiki for information:
http://terraria.gamepedia.com/Fishing
http://terraria.gamepedia.com/Expert_mode

And yes, from 1.1 to 1.3, you'll get a ton of new stuff, including a ton of things to do after getting in hardmode:
http://terraria.gamepedia.com/Desktop_Version_history

way to go steve
Jan 1, 2010
Thanks for the responses! I had already done (at least 1.1's version) of hardmode stuff. Once the hallow appears? I don't really feel the need to sequence break, that seems silly in a game like this. Sounds like the biggest bummer is fishing for potion ingredients. One of my favorite things about terraria was feeling like the game really rewards you for coming prepared, I loved getting an alchemy lab together and liberally using buff potions.

I'll probably just play around in normal mode then, make a few maps, explore some stuff. Like I said, I hadn't even tried fishing, maybe it's not so bad. I just played expert for a few minutes and read a little of the thread, and I was pretty worried that they had decided to go with the philosophy of 'more tedious repetition = more hours of gameplay = better!'.

Is it recommended to have a starting world with the corruption, or the crimson? Probably doesn't matter? I've probably forgotten more than I remember about the game, I doubt I'll even be able to tell what's new. Should be fun.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

way to go steve posted:

Thanks for the responses! I had already done (at least 1.1's version) of hardmode stuff. Once the hallow appears? I don't really feel the need to sequence break, that seems silly in a game like this. Sounds like the biggest bummer is fishing for potion ingredients. One of my favorite things about terraria was feeling like the game really rewards you for coming prepared, I loved getting an alchemy lab together and liberally using buff potions.

I'll probably just play around in normal mode then, make a few maps, explore some stuff. Like I said, I hadn't even tried fishing, maybe it's not so bad. I just played expert for a few minutes and read a little of the thread, and I was pretty worried that they had decided to go with the philosophy of 'more tedious repetition = more hours of gameplay = better!'.

Is it recommended to have a starting world with the corruption, or the crimson? Probably doesn't matter? I've probably forgotten more than I remember about the game, I doubt I'll even be able to tell what's new. Should be fun.

Crimson has some REALLY good items but a really annoying Eater of Worlds replacement. Eater of worlds can be used to easily farm certain hardmode drops if you get creative with block placement. The crimson version of the shadow armor set is generically useful instead of just boosting melee.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
If you're planning on going primarily with ranged weapons, Crimson gives you a better first gun.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
Corruption is a little better for magic users. You can get a Band of Starpower and eventually turn it into Magic Cuffs, which are pretty much necessary ever since the Mana Flower got nerfed into uselessness. Also the Vilethorn is a much better early game magic weapon than it was back in 1.1.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Mountaineer posted:

Corruption is a little better for magic users. You can get a Band of Starpower and eventually turn it into Magic Cuffs, which are pretty much necessary ever since the Mana Flower got nerfed into uselessness. Also the Vilethorn is a much better early game magic weapon than it was back in 1.1.

I'd say the opposite on the Vilethorn, mostly because it has competition now. Most of the gem staves are still better, even with the nerf they got.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Fishing is a fun little mini game that help you get some additional resources and buff potions.

Rushing for meteorite armor + space gun seems to be the best way of handling pre-hardmode expert worlds until you can get the fossil, molten, or necro armor. No idea how it'll handle against skeletron though, expert skeletron does not play around.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

watho posted:

Fishing is a fun little mini game that help you get some additional resources and buff potions.

Rushing for meteorite armor + space gun seems to be the best way of handling pre-hardmode expert worlds until you can get the fossil, molten, or necro armor. No idea how it'll handle against skeletron though, expert skeletron does not play around.

A decent sized platform arena with 3+ levels and a lot of room to roam, shield of cthulhu + hermes boots and your favorite weapon with some reach. 300-500 tiles long sounds about right, the spins get really long as the fight goes on.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 07:36 on May 30, 2016

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Yeah, that was how I did it last time. I keep underestimating the defensive capabilities of the shield bash. You have i-frames during it as well, right?

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Mountaineer posted:

Of course, once you're at the point in the game where you're breaking orbs, you can easily handle making another world with the biome that your main world doesn't have! World hopping for fun and profit.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

way to go steve posted:

You just made me wish that there was a suggestion place for Terraria Otherworld/2 ideas. An autofisher that puts things into a chest would be amazing.

way to go steve posted:

Nah, that's Starbound. There've been a few dumb nerfs to items other the years but the game's still fun regardless. The only big-ish thing I can think of that's missing is the ability to chose to have a Corruption or Crimson world.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

watho posted:

Yeah, that was how I did it last time. I keep underestimating the defensive capabilities of the shield bash. You have i-frames during it as well, right?

Just from melee damage but the important part is that it kickstarts your hermes boots so you don't lose speed when you change direction.

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

I made a large world and then no hallow at all spawned after I killed the wall D:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Bakalakadaka posted:

I made a large world and then no hallow at all spawned after I killed the wall D:

It spawned under your jungle or snow where you can't see it from the surface. And this is why you don't make large maps unless you're running a server for a dozen people or something.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012
Send help; I've been trapped making the Great Terrarian Small World Underground Railroad.

That is literally half of my small world and I still have to paint part of it and finish the background walls. Then off to the other side. :shepicide:

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
I'm not sure why, but I started a new character in an expert mode world for the hell of it. It was a real shock to see zombies carrying off my gold the first time I died... but I did get extremely lucky by getting sandstorm in a bottle from a pyramid. I followed it up with cloud and blizzard in a bottle and capped it off with flurry boots. Just insane chest rng...

I didn't know that minecart tracks could spawn parallel like this.

Is there any reason not to use life crystals as I find them? I'm not sure what the cutoff point is for goblin army and I want to get a decent equipment set going before I trigger any events. Sitting on 3 right now.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

Ambaire posted:

I'm not sure why, but I started a new character in an expert mode world for the hell of it. It was a real shock to see zombies carrying off my gold the first time I died... but I did get extremely lucky by getting sandstorm in a bottle from a pyramid. I followed it up with cloud and blizzard in a bottle and capped it off with flurry boots. Just insane chest rng...

I didn't know that minecart tracks could spawn parallel like this.

Is there any reason not to use life crystals as I find them? I'm not sure what the cutoff point is for goblin army and I want to get a decent equipment set going before I trigger any events. Sitting on 3 right now.

Slime Rain can occur with 140 life and 8 defense (expert has a lower requirement). Goblin Army and Eye of Cthulu require 200 health, but also have other requirements. You must have smashed a Shadow Orb or Crimson Heart for Goblin Invasion to have a chance of occuring. Eye of Cthulu also requires a certain amount of defense and a couple NPCs around.

TLDR: No point in sitting on life crystals.

Maguoob fucked around with this message at 18:54 on May 30, 2016

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Ambaire posted:

200 hp is the cutoff for when the Eye starts to harass you every night. So I would hold back on using more crystals until you get a proper arena set up.

way to go steve
Jan 1, 2010
Started up again on a small normal world and immediately had four hours disappear. This game is nuts. Corruption on the left and jungle on the right, so nowhere to go but down. Found a bunch of sweet loot, died to a boulder, good times. Also found four summoning items for the eye, so I should probably get on that. I have a few more questions though.

Do certain ores only spawn on different worlds? I've found a bunch of tin, lead, silver, and gold, but I haven't seen any copper or iron. Might be more I'm missing too, I'm not sure what's available before hardmode now.

Also, why are there so many spiders?! Holy poo poo those caught me by surprise. I know they're hiding cool stuff down there, but they spawn so drat fast I can't make it very far in yet. I need more gear! I don't really remember the general progression, so I'm just feeling it out so far. I think I need to build a bunch of houses too, my guide is lonely and I'm sure there's more that should be showing up.

Oh yeah, is there any way to make navigating the crafting menus better? It's cool that there's a bunch of new cosmetic items, but it's a real pain in the rear end to scroll through so much stuff to see what I can craft. It practically makes the guide useless.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
There's 4 pairs of basic normal mode ores: Copper and Tin, Iron and Lead, Silver and Tungsten, and Gold and Platinum. Each world has 1 from each pair, like tin, lead, silver and gold in your case. You can't naturally find the other four ores in your world. There's no real difference between the ores in each pair, except for some decorative items. In hard mode, there are 3 more pairs of ore.

Spiders spawn in a special area. Stay away from it if you can, they're hard to handle until you have better weapons, as you've found out.

Click the little hammer icon, it'll show you the crafting menu as a grid.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
steve, there's no real reason why corruption or jungle should block your progress; just make a bow and arrows and get good at sniping bats / eaters out of the air. You can go a long ways with a jungle/tundra wood bow and fire arrows and you have practically infinite ammo, just requires a bit of farming. It's what I did in this expert mode world; managed to survive a couple nights in the open with arrow spam.

I finally got the nerve to take on the Eye of Cthulhu and it got murdered with the space gun + meteor armor, then slaughtered a goblin invasion the next morning. About to try expert Skeletron and see what happens.

Regarding King Slime spawning mechanics, the wiki says 'There must be standard, green grass at its potential spawn point'. Does this mean if I pave over the desert with a single tile thick grass carpet that it will be a valid spawn point?

e. Also, the bunny mount is AMAZING for early game mobility. Been fighting everything on it since I got it. It only needs 5 angler quests.

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 08:36 on May 31, 2016

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Ambaire posted:

steve, there's no real reason why corruption or jungle should block your progress; just make a bow and arrows and get good at sniping bats / eaters out of the air. You can go a long ways with a jungle/tundra wood bow and fire arrows and you have practically infinite ammo, just requires a bit of farming. It's what I did in this expert mode world; managed to survive a couple nights in the open with arrow spam.

I finally got the nerve to take on the Eye of Cthulhu and it got murdered with the space gun + meteor armor, then slaughtered a goblin invasion the next morning. About to try expert Skeletron and see what happens.

Regarding King Slime spawning mechanics, the wiki says 'There must be standard, green grass at its potential spawn point'. Does this mean if I pave over the desert with a single tile thick grass carpet that it will be a valid spawn point?

Yes, but if you want to challenge him, just make a Slime Crown. The chances of him randomly spawning are really low.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Dr. Fetus posted:

Yes, but if you want to challenge him, just make a Slime Crown. The chances of him randomly spawning are really low.

Yeah, I know, the wiki says 1 in 300. I can't find any rubies though and I haven't gotten lucky with the extractinator.

way to go steve
Jan 1, 2010

Solumin posted:

Click the little hammer icon, it'll show you the crafting menu as a grid.

Thanks for this. I guess there's nothing to be done about the guide though?

And yeah, I've since run past the corruption and found the dungeon. It's just that I usually run around and look for treasures near the surface when I start, and this world wasn't particularly agreeable for that. Tomorrow I guess I'll see what's off to the right, I need to swing through the jungle anyway to find moonglow seeds so I can start making sweet sweet spelunker potions.

I guess I'll get another world started to see if I can't find crimson as well. I like small worlds for single player, things feel really densely packed.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

way to go steve posted:

Do certain ores only spawn on different worlds? I've found a bunch of tin, lead, silver, and gold, but I haven't seen any copper or iron.

If for some reason you really want copper, iron, tungsten, or platinum, you'll find some in the crates you're fishing and in extractination of silt, slush and fossils. Though you're advised to wait until hardmode before opening crates, so as to also get hardmode ores and bars.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Ambaire posted:

Don't make fire arrows. Make frostburn arrows. They're just as cheap (add 1 ice block per 30), hit harder, and cause a stronger debuff that fewer enemies are immune to. They're my default arrows well into hardmode.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 10:41 on May 31, 2016

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

dis astranagant posted:

It spawned under your jungle or snow where you can't see it from the surface. And this is why you don't make large maps unless you're running a server for a dozen people or something.

No I mean it actually didn't spawn. I talked to the dryad after hard mode started and she said something like 14% crimson and not even a mention of hallow.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

Cat Mattress posted:

In R&M it kinda works because it's used as a way to describe how offensive some slur is supposed to be: it's just a fancy way of saying 'it's as bad as all these slurs combined". Your use of it just plain didn't work.

Just because it was Rick & Morty doesn't mean it wasn't just stupid there too.

It was just stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
Also, for Hardcore (or Hardmode, or whatever the New Game+ is called after you beat the Wall of Flesh), do I really effectively have to set up arenas to kill the boss monsters?

I know that it is recommended, but I don't know if that is just nerds optimizing their gameplay, or if I realistically will have to set up these arenas to have a reasonable chance to win.

Because the whole arena preparation thing is my least favorite part of the game, and I'd like to avoid it.