Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TacticalNecromancy
May 25, 2015

I'm in the Diamondback Explorer rather than the Scout, which is a much better ship. I've heard the Asp is probably better for really deep exploration, but I've been enjoying the DBE because it's reasonably manoeuvrable, isn't a wedge and can carry most things you'll need. Downside is that it's pretty much a case of carrying either a bike rack or a repair kit. I've gone for the bike rack because it's fun to pootle around now and then.

It also looks pretty fantastic wherever you go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Akion posted:

How does the vulture do with 1 beam and 1 MC now?
Current meta is rapid fire PACs... :mmmhmm:

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Goddamn I swear the RNG for what spawns you get in a RES is built just to infuriate. All week, a bounty parade of Condas, Pythons, and FAS for mucho $$$. I notice I've dropped out of the AA top 5 Commanders and decide to go put in another 10mil of work; swarms of elite Eagles that take forever to down and pay you literal pocket change. After an hours shooting, 2mil in the bank.

ffuucckkk ooofffff

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

tooterfish posted:

That person is the AI lead.

I stand by my post.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
So I've spent my day building a profile in voice attack to simulate command locks and relatively natural speach from my computer. Its me, I'm the voice attack sperg.

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006
Is there something specific you have to do to cause a mission USS to spawn, or is it just "fly around aimlessly until it comes up"?

I know they added the "Scan Nav Beacons" thing, but it seems like all that does is changes it to "fly around looking for mission objectives that never spawn" to "you now know which planet to fly around looking for mission objectives that never spawn"

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Main Paineframe posted:

There's now only a couple of donation missions at a time, and donation missions can ask for a LOT more stuff. Some of the credit donation missions ask for as much as 750k at once

I've seen multiple donations missions asking for 1 million CR, and I'm pretty sure i saw one for 3 million as well :shepface:

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Rah! posted:

I've seen multiple donations missions asking for 1 million CR, and I'm pretty sure i saw one for 3 million as well :shepface:

Does anyone know if these give the equivalent in how much that many credits have been worth before, at least?

I mean, may as well ask instead of just assuming it's a hackjob nerf to donation rep gains.

As strained as that kind of optimism is.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Goddamn I swear the RNG for what spawns you get in a RES is built just to infuriate. All week, a bounty parade of Condas, Pythons, and FAS for mucho $$$. I notice I've dropped out of the AA top 5 Commanders and decide to go put in another 10mil of work; swarms of elite Eagles that take forever to down and pay you literal pocket change. After an hours shooting, 2mil in the bank.

ffuucckkk ooofffff

poo poo man, I'd rarely break $1m per hour :argh:

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Section Z posted:

Does anyone know if these give the equivalent in how much that many credits have been worth before, at least?

I mean, may as well ask instead of just assuming it's a hackjob nerf to donation rep gains.

As strained as that kind of optimism is.

3 million would buy your way from zero to Rear Admiral/Duke before, so no. Not even close.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

TacticalNecromancy posted:

I'm in the Diamondback Explorer rather than the Scout, which is a much better ship. I've heard the Asp is probably better for really deep exploration, but I've been enjoying the DBE because it's reasonably manoeuvrable, isn't a wedge and can carry most things you'll need. Downside is that it's pretty much a case of carrying either a bike rack or a repair kit. I've gone for the bike rack because it's fun to pootle around now and then.

You're goddamn right it does

Slashrat fucked around with this message at 09:42 on May 31, 2016

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010
Ugh, Security Firmware Patches come from one specific place: High security settlements. The larger the settlement, the higher the chance of getting patches. The trouble lies in any high security settlement being patrolled by ships and at least two goliath drones backed up by guardian drones with rocket launchers on top of the usual turrets and skimmers.

gently caress it, not worth the goddamn hassle.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Yeah. And if flying around those kinds of vistas was the game, that'd be absolutely great. Top notch, game of the year. But this:

is what the game looks like 90% of the time.

Game could be vastly improved by instantaneous jumps between those kinds of views, in my opinion. FSD travel that's not jumping is boring as hell, even the EVE Online system is more exciting.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Nice piece of fish posted:

Yeah. And if flying around those kinds of vistas was the game, that'd be absolutely great. Top notch, game of the year. But this:

Game could be vastly improved by instantaneous jumps between those kinds of views, in my opinion. FSD travel that's not jumping is boring as hell, even the EVE Online system is more exciting.

Yeah, the accel/deceleration part of supercruise is waaaay too long.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
But it's ~realistic~ and anyway, how would the AI gank you if you could just instantly arrive at a station?

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Colonial Air Force posted:

But it's ~realistic~ and anyway, how would the AI gank you if you could just instantly arrive at a station?

How is it realistic? At superluminal speeds I wouldn't expect to be able to see poo poo, or at least everything blueshifted to hell and instruments shouldn't be able to tell you anything about anything outside of your local space-time frame oh wait you're being sarcastic. It's me, I'm the sperg.

Honestly, jumping between points of interest whether they be deep space (signal) a sun or a planet or an asteroid field would detract nothing from the game that can't be replaced by a better version.

Interdiction? Player signals in-system, jump there, FSD scrambler. Cat-and-mouse game like hunter-killer sub wargames replacing dumb piloting minigame that careens you into the sun.

Exploration? Exploration mini-game with manual scan of interesting sources (like the scarab vehicle "sonar" thing) with deep scan with specialized modules, interesting places get a jump and a scan from specialized short ranged scanning equipment, each with their own screen and or minigame. Just to make you feel like you're a technician and a navigator instead of an autopilot for jumping and honking.

Combat? There's no reason I can see that getting attacked at stations should be a thing. EVE Online experiences of station camping add nothing to the game, as does NPCs attacking you at a station. It's dumb, potentially frustrating and annoying. So gently caress that! Stations are safezones, everywhere else you jump has a chance of a dude being there or jumping in on you, see the aforementioned signals, asteroid fields and whatnot.

I dunno. I just reread Peter F. Hamilton's "Night's Dawn" trilogy and I just wish space combat was more like that. Some fun "realism" that makes logical sense and some intelligence behind the design decisions. Maybe I'm just asking for too much, but I'm old and crotchety and I want complexity and skill-based difficulty in my games. Not artificial difficulty through grinding, dumb AI bugs and pres butan fly plane type mechanics for goddamned space travel. loving Battlecruiser 3000 was more fun than that. And that game was a piece of poo poo.

gently caress this game. My spare time is too precious for this.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

lol just lol if you don't even flip for a deceleration burn

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Flipped decel burn? gently caress that, I just hit reverse.

How is it realistic? :spergin:

It was a joke.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Decel burn? gently caress that, I just hit reverse.

It was a joke.

It was a joke???

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

It was a joke???

It's precisely what the Brown Sea will say, that it isn't realistic.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Someone didn't play Privateer 1.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

It's precisely what the Brown Sea will say, that it isn't realistic.

I don't think I like the Brown Sea much.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

oh wait you're being sarcastic. It's me, I'm the sperg.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Look at this chump who doesn't fly between the planet and its rings or the rings themselves like it ain't no thang. Thread a couple needles, man, then we will talk turkey

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

Strategic Tea posted:

lol just lol if you don't even flip for a deceleration burn

Because the "Slow Down" warning appears like 15 seconds after you needed to start slowing down.

Also, what's a good location to grind rep for an icourier? I have no desire to punish myself or seek unemployment any further than that.

Is it remotely feasible to do so in an iggle (just want to fly it) or should I stick with my Cobra Mk3?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

MoraleHazard posted:

Because the "Slow Down" warning appears like 15 seconds after you needed to start slowing down.

Also, what's a good location to grind rep for an icourier? I have no desire to punish myself or seek unemployment any further than that.

Is it remotely feasible to do so in an iggle (just want to fly it) or should I stick with my Cobra Mk3?

I ground out my initial imperial ranks by just taking any old [empire] missions on the bulletin boards. It's not terribly efficient I guess but the early ranks aren't that bad.

Later on you'll definitely want to minmax your time investment though and I'm not yet sure how 2.1 has interacted with the old Cubeo base assault grind.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

MoraleHazard posted:

I ground a couple ranks to Baron at HIP 10716, but I'm not sure if it's still viable post-patch. There's a Reddit page and some youtubes documenting the procedure.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

MoraleHazard posted:

7 seconds to your destination is "the Pipe".

You can hit 6 and still decelerate in time.

But if you hit 5 you're probably going to overshoot or need to shoot by a gravity well to slow down.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer
All of the salt on the official forums about "griefing" NPCs is delicious.

Every thread reads, in some way or form, as follows:

Solo player: They're killing me!
PvP player: lol git gud

and the way it devolves from there is spectacular.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

NoneMoreNegative posted:

I ground a couple ranks to Baron at HIP 10716, but I'm not sure if it's still viable post-patch. There's a Reddit page and some youtubes documenting the procedure.

Thanks for the heads up. Hopefully, I can do it in an Iggle.

Xae posted:

But if you hit 5 you're probably going to overshoot or need to shoot by a gravity well to slow down.

Good to know.

Also, while trying to supply Svortzkov in my Cobra I got interdicted by a "Dangerous" Viper. I submitted, boosted away with four pips to engines and in a short time I had my shields blown off and 25% of my hull taken out. It was no more than 10 seconds. :supaburn:

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

MoraleHazard posted:

Thanks for the heads up. Hopefully, I can do it in an Iggle.

You could, but much better to do it in a stripped out e-rated sidewinder with 2 dumbfire racks fitted; once you've blown the generator and killed the skimmers, hit silent running to kill your shields and boost into the ground - basically 4K rebuy credits to save you flying back around the planet and instead teleporting there :cool:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Xae posted:

What I'm doing these days is just keep throttle at 100% (100% pretty much stops decelerating almost completely for some reason), fly "below" the target, look up at it, and keep the timer at 2-3 seconds by pulling up into it and reducing throttle to 95%.

Usually leaves me in safe destination lock speed and range around the time I finish the 2nd or 3rd circle around it. It's probably slower than riding the 5-6 second window, but it also doesn't feel slower and is way more fun.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

quote:

Hey guys,

We just wanted to get a post up to talk about some key issues that have come up in the community over the last few days and talk a little about some of the changes that are coming into effect from today and in future updates.

AI and NPCs
One of the most hotly debated topics in the community since The Engineers (2.1) is the AI and NPC changes. There’s no denying that higher ranked NPCs are now tougher to beat than ever before.

The aim of the AI and NPC changes is to ensure that there is a balance between having combat that challenges you and is exciting while not being so challenging that it spoils your ability to enjoy the galaxy and game on a day to day basis.

We’re aware from your feedback that this hasn’t hit that balance, either because of bugs or a number of other reasons, and so we’re going to be making some changes to help address those concerns.

The first change is that we will be removing almost all Engineers upgrades from the NPCs in game. There are a very few select upgrades that will remain for coding reasons but they will be low level and not combat specific upgrades. On the whole you should notice that the vast majority of upgrades are gone from NPCs which will mean that players will be greater equipped to deal with NPC threats and should be able to last longer in a combat situation, should they need to make a hasty exit. It will also mean that players who gather their own upgrades will have a technical advantage on the NPC combatants too. The good part about this is that these are all server side, which means we are able to make those changes today! Commanders will be able to see the changes taking effect shortly.

Staying on the topic of AI, we have also had a number of people discussing bugged or cheating weapons and abnormal, overly aggressive, NPC behaviour where NPCs are attacking Commanders without being wanted, being full of Cargo or for other known obvious reasons. In order to investigate these concerns more closely there are two new bug forum threads dedicated to these issues specifically. If you have any evidence or detail about these issues, we would appreciate you heading over to the Bugged weapons or the NPC aggro threads and giving us your feedback there.

With the removal of Engineers upgrades, even if the NPCs do become more manageable, we would still greatly appreciate any reports of AI attacking unexpectedly in the thread mentioned above as it will help us investigate the issues.

With the changes going out today the development team will be able to review the effectiveness of the AI on its own and see what additional balancing will need to take place. There are a number of additional changes that the dev team are looking at right now which could include balancing the frequency of higher end NPCs as well as other changes and we’ll keep you informed with more news on those as we have them.

The Engineers – RNG & more
We’ve also seen a lot of discussion on the Engineers generally we are listening to feedback. We’ve mentioned previously but in 2.1.1 we will be giving players the ability to exchange their experimental modifications for another modification but at a cost to your reputation with that Engineer. This will allow players a better opportunity to select what upgrades they receive. We are also very much listening to feedback on the Engineers and other updates too. If you have any specific feedback regarding the Engineers, the material gathering or any other changes, be sure to add them to the Engineers forum where the team will be reviewing and reading.

Bi-Weave shields
Many of you have noticed that Bi-Weave shields seem to have been taken off the shelves across the galaxy. This was the result of a bug fix which ended up removing them from circulation. These will be going back into game via today's server side update. They won’t be available at every station but they will result in becoming available at stations across the galaxy, in the same way other items do currently.

Thank you again for your feedback, it truly is vitally important to us. Please do continue to give us your suggestions! Fly Safe Commanders!

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=257892

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
At this point you really have to wonder why they even bothered with a test server.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

DancingShade posted:

At this point you really have to wonder why they even bothered with a test server.

Gives customers the illusion that their feedback matters. Pretty much SOP in games these days.

SEE: The Division

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Well at least they're taking feedback and making adjustments. (Although quite a few people pointed out that engineer mods made NPC's overtuned in the beta...)

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Imagine that the mods went away, and they kept some Elite NPCs tied to missions etc that actually had full mods, were extremely difficult to kill and gave out multi-million bounties (before even adding in the mission rewards).

This would make too much sense though.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Didn't they previously say that Bi-weave shields being removed was 100% the plan and always intended? At least own the mistake.

Not sure about the NPCs being stripped of all engineered mods. Seems a bit drastic. Shame they've not fixed the one, enormous, game-breaking bug that is multi-cannon PACs.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer

TacticalNecromancy posted:

I'd gently caress in all of these.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

TTerrible posted:

Didn't they previously say that Bi-weave shields being removed was 100% the plan and always intended? At least own the mistake.

They never said that.

TTerrible posted:

. Shame they've not fixed the one, enormous, game-breaking bug that is multi-cannon PACs.

That cannot be done via a server update. It needs a client patch. I think it will be done inside the week.

• Locked thread