Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Of those I tried Bitch Planet and ODY-C and the only one I read past issue one was ODY-C and that was just for the art. The story is a mess though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Casanova and Bitch Planet are great, I haven't read the others.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Mr Hootington posted:

How are Bitch Planet, Casanova, Five Fists of Science, Ody-C, Jughead, and Watson & Holmes?

I love Bitch Planet and generally am not that into Kelly Sue DeConnick's writing. I seem to see people being 50/50 between loving it and not caring for it, little middle ground.

Casanova is my favorite series ever. It's all sci-fi super spy stories (the first issue has clones, robots, alternate time lines, psychic battles, and at least three different spy organizations fighting it out), but also really, really personal. Fraction calls it autobiographical, which seems weird until you get some context. If they have the back matter, read it. It's fascinating seeing Fraction look back on the series and his life while writing it and there's some really heartbreaking stuff in there. Due to "reasons", only the fourth series is available in single issues, but the first three can be had in collections.

I'm completely fascinated by ODY-C. It shouldn't be my cup of tea (retelling of a classic tale I'm not that familiar with), but the art is jaw dropping and the story has enough craziness going on keep my interest.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

I would say Bitch Planet is a must read. DeConnick's writing for it is just so angry and it's awesome. If you did a literary analysis of it it would be just "gently caress You"

Edit: There is a trade of it available, but I would say go track down the single issues or get them off Comixology. The essays in the back of each issue are worth reading but not included with the trade. For cost reasons I think.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 32 hours!
Ok thanks guys. I've chosen those that I'm going to purchase and the rest will go on the wishlist. All of them sound interesting.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I'd advise reading Jughead and Bitch Planet on separate days. Would be a hell of a whiplash to do one then the other.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

You know I keep hearing that Archie Comics has been killing it lately. Are they actualy putting out good stuff or is it just "Lol Archie is now playing with zombies?" kind of stuff.

If they are good. Places to start?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
*I haven't read any Archie*

Books I hear great things about:
Afterlife With Archie being an really good horror book.
The current Archie ongoing being written by Mark loving Waid and drawn by Fiona loving Staples, so you can't go wrong.
The current Jughead ongoing being written by Chip Zdarsky and drawn by Erica Henderson, so it's like the Squirrel Girl / Howard the Duck crossover.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 32 hours!

BigRed0427 posted:

You know I keep hearing that Archie Comics has been killing it lately. Are they actualy putting out good stuff or is it just "Lol Archie is now playing with zombies?" kind of stuff.

If they are good. Places to start?

I just read the first three issues of the new Archie on the comixology unlimited. It is really good.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Fiona Staples only drew the first two or three issues of Archie. The regular artist is Veronica Fish. Afterlife with Archie is a must read. But be patient. The latest issue just came out after a year delay.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

If you've ever read any of the Michael Moorcock Jerry Cornelius stuff, Casanova owes it a great debt (all the way down to the protagonist's haircut), but manages to turns up the mind bending multiversal sex party aspects up to 11.

It's both very good and much more sincere and moving then I'm probably making it sound.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Uthor posted:

*I haven't read any Archie*

Books I hear great things about :
Afterlife With Archie being an really good horror book.
The current Archie ongoing being written by Mark loving Waid and drawn by Fiona loving Staples, so you can't go wrong.
The current Jughead ongoing being written by Chip Zdarsky and drawn by Erica Henderson, so it's like the Squirrel Girl / Howard the Duck crossover.

Ironically, Erica's leaving just in time for Chip to be replaced by Ryan North. I'm not that fond of Jughead, mostly because the fantasy sequences don't work for me, for the most part, and it seems to be aiming much younger than Waid's Archie.

And as X-O pointed out, Veronica Fish is the main artist on Archie, but she's really excellent as well. She did the promo art that was being passed around for the CW's new Archie series, and the book itself kinda looks like that now. It's very much a teen soap book, but if you go in expecting and understanding that, and have any enjoyment of Waid when he's writing in that mode, then it's very enjoyable.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Garth Ennis's Punisher MAX run. Yea or Ney?

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 21:13 on May 30, 2016

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

BigRed0427 posted:

Very yea.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

It's got some expected Ennis bumps but it's probably the best thing he's ever written, and also probably the best Punisher material out there.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

BigRed0427 posted:

Very, very yea.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I found this New 52 Batman reading order on reddit. Is it good, and if not what's a good reading order for a guy pretty much completely in the dark on New 52 Batman?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Toxxupation posted:

I found this New 52 Batman reading order on reddit. Is it good, and if not what's a good reading order for a guy pretty much completely in the dark on New 52 Batman?
Chronological by publishing date is usually the best order if you want a deep understanding of a series, That looks like complete garbage.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Just read Snyder's Batman in issue release order. We all lived getting the origin story half way through. It breaks up Joker storylines too.
Skip tie-ins. Skip #23._ issues (Villain Month). Skip Eternal. Skip Arkham Manor.
Skip Detective Comics except maybe for the #27 special, which has a short Snyder story that links back at the end.
The only Zero Year tie-in I'd advise is Action Comics #25 and that's just because it kicks off Greg Pak's run.

N52 Batman Incorporated and Batman and Robin are well worth reading, but you really have to go back to Grant Morrison's old Batman #1. Leave that for another day.

e: You'll see one 'Batman' issue mourning Damian's death (which happens in Batman Inc) but pay it no mind. The kid really couldn't matter less for Snyder's series.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 10:30 on May 31, 2016

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

BigRed0427 posted:

I would even say, hyperbolically, that if you could only read one Punisher run out of all the ones published to date it would be that one.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Teenage Fansub posted:

Just read Snyder's Batman in chronological order. We all lived getting the origin story half way through. It breaks up Joker storylines too.
Skip tie-ins. Skip #23._ issues (Villain Month). Skip Eternal. Skip Arkham Manor.
Skip Detective Comics except maybe for the #27 special, which has a short Snyder story that links back at the end.
The only Zero Year tie-in I'd advise is Action Comics #25 and that's just because it kicks off Greg Pak's run.

N52 Batman Incorporated and Batman and Robin are well worth reading, but you really have to go back to Grant Morrison's old Batman #1. Leave that for another day.

e: You'll see one 'Batman' issue mourning Damian's death (which happens in Batman Inc) but pay it no mind. The kid really couldn't matter less for Snyder's series.

Yeah, this is good advice. That reddit list is too focused on internal chronology and completionism and not enough on reading things that are actually decent.

Batgirl (after the rework in #35) and Greyson are probably the best of the extended Batfamily pieces, but they aren't really related to the main Batman run.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Batman and Robin was good? I have the first volume but never read it. The idea of Batman actually dealing with that he has a son now is something I want to read. Oddly enough it's never delt with in Batman Inc.

Speaking of which, yeah, If you want to read Batman Inc, you have to start at square one of Morrison's Batman run. I think there is a one volume trade that has everything up to Batman RIP. But, as I said before, that run is AP Batman.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 32 hours!

Toxxupation posted:

Have you read any batman?

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
With the New 52 careening towards a brick wall, what are some lesser-known N52 titles to check out? Omega Men, Dial H, Demon Knights and Prez are all on my radar.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 32 hours!

Brocktoon posted:

With the New 52 careening towards a brick wall, what are some lesser-known N52 titles to check out? Omega Men, Dial H, Demon Knights and Prez are all on my radar.

Frankenstein was pretty good.

trashbuilder
Dec 26, 2013

Look at all the poor opinions I have
Animal Man was only big with super comic book nerds but it was great. Drags in the middle during the RotWorld arc but after it is the best issues of Animal Man in N52.

Also i liked black canary when Annie Wu was doing art

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

BigRed0427 posted:

The idea of Batman actually dealing with that he has a son now is something I want to read. Oddly enough it's never delt with in Batman Inc.

It is in the New 52 Batman Inc. Instead of worldtrotting, it's a Batman and Robin team-up series.

Brocktoon posted:

All-Star Western, I Vampire, OMAC, GI Zombie (really), Red Lanterns (under Charles Soule), Gotham Academy, Grayson, Justice League 3000, Constantine: The Hellblazer (2015 series), Martian Manhunter, Midnighter, Batman/TMNT (really.)

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jun 1, 2016

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Mr Hootington posted:

Ok thanks guys. I've chosen those that I'm going to purchase and the rest will go on the wishlist. All of them sound interesting.

Since no one addressed it, Watson & Holmes is great. Good art, and it managed to make me - as someone who felt fairly burnt out on the Holmes mythos after the RDJ movies and Cumberbatch's turn at the role - feel really invested and interested again. It's a solid reinvention and IMO worth the time.

... I only ever read volume 1 though and only just realized volume 2 actually, uh, happened. :downs: So thanks for the reminder?

I know you've already made your choices, but still.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Brocktoon posted:

I loving loved Dial H, even though it had to rush its ending. I think it's gonna hold up for years and years as a great trade to read without context.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Are there any comics with Dormammu being super cool in them?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 32 hours!

Baal posted:

Giffen Defenders mini series.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Good grief, I'm having a hell of a time keeping up with issue release dates and new books. For Marvel, where's the best place to keep up with this stuff? I always end up waiting till the end of the month to get that month's books and then going on a mad scramble, because I'm not sure when they're released.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

10 Beers posted:

Good grief, I'm having a hell of a time keeping up with issue release dates and new books. For Marvel, where's the best place to keep up with this stuff? I always end up waiting till the end of the month to get that month's books and then going on a mad scramble, because I'm not sure when they're released.

There's a stickied thread right under this one that is updated every week with that week's releases.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

10 Beers posted:

You can see what's coming up every week in the releases thread.
I find it useful to make my list there and then refer to it on wednesday.

e: I'm slow.

Further out, release lists from the companies get put out about four months in advance. Google 'Marvel July solicits' to see the types of sites that post them.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:
Get the Marvel and DC comic apps and see what books released every wednesday?

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Baal posted:

Nextwave

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

That's very explicitly not Dormammu and he's not cool.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Superior Foes, too.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Teenage Fansub posted:

You can see what's coming up every week in the releases thread.
I find it useful to make my list there and then refer to it on wednesday.

e: I'm slow.

Further out, release lists from the companies get put out about four months in advance. Google 'Marvel July solicits' to see the types of sites that post them.

I will say when I first started reading this forum it took me forever to figure out how to follow that poo poo. I'm not suggesting you curate that list or whatever, I just wish there was a place that listed just what the new singles were, not all the variants and reprints and trades and whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Thanks, guys! I haven't looked at BSS proper in a while. I'll check it out!