Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?

Solice Kirsk posted:

Over hand is the correct way. Otherwise the quilting would be facing the wrong way.

*rolls down stairs counter clockwise*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

wide stance posted:

"Once it goes thru the compiler it's all the same" is not the point. It's about maintaining (adding functionality, fixing bugs, etc.) source code with hosed up formatting and spending a bunch of time and mental anguish updating it.
Oh, pobrecito. If the placement of curly braces actually causes you mental anguish, you may not be cut out for one of the easiest jobs on earth.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

mrmcd posted:

Truth, brother.

Also,

"There was a time a hundred years ago people like me could have people like that killed."

:stare:

"I mean, hypothetically."

:stare:

I also enjoyed him telling a woman and a person of color how awesome things were in the days of robber-barons.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Grem posted:

Shut up Richards.

Emptyquote

Starting to think the hate this thread has for Richard is more like self loathing than anything else

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I love Richard

White Noise Marine
Apr 14, 2010

Krowley posted:

Emptyquote

Starting to think the hate this thread has for Richard is more like self loathing than anything else

That was more of we don't care about code formats.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
I'm sorry but the tabs vs spaces gag was the best thing to happen all season and if you disagree get out.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

I think they wrote in the tabs/spaces thing because they knew nerds on the internet would argue about that and not about how (comparably) bad the episode was.

That said, if you use spaces or put opening braces on a new line you are objectively wrong.

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

The absolute best thing about this episode is that it has caused people to argue about spaces/tabs and brace placement unironically while simultaneously arguing that the episode was stupid. Just A+ poo poo.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Episode was good. I didn't mind the richard subplot but then again I don't have a problem with cringing so hard I feel like I'm going to collapse inside myself. Dude kills it.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Loved the episode, and the tabs vs spaces argument was too close to home for me. They should have expanded it into indentation depth too, but I guess reality is just too crazy for TV.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Solice Kirsk posted:

Over hand is the correct way. Otherwise the quilting would be facing the wrong way.

Pretty much. People who do it the wrong way probably saw it in a public toilet once and started copying it, without realising that this was just the work of some lazy janitor who didn't give a poo poo. It's kinda ridiculous that it's even a thing.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

code:

if 
{
}
else 
{
} 

if loving ugly as poo poo. curly braces do not deserve their own space.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Pathos posted:

The absolute best thing about this episode is that it has caused people to argue about spaces/tabs and brace placement unironically while simultaneously arguing that the episode was stupid. Just A+ poo poo.

This x10000

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
i never knew what the tab key did before watching this episode

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then he will do it that way.
Gleb blatantly disregarding the company coding standards by using spaces over tabs would actually get your rear end fired irl. Not definitively, but would be a clear strike against you.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

wide stance posted:

Gleb blatantly disregarding the company coding standards by using spaces over tabs would actually get your rear end fired irl. Not definitively, but would be a clear strike against you.

Depends. If he was writing a completely separate service or tool where he is the sole owner, there are companies that would just shrug and let him code in a way that is most efficient for him. But yeah, if he had to contribute to shared code and his attitude was "I'll do whatever, who cares?", then yeah, that's an rear end in a top hat move that won't get you far.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Pathos posted:

Yeah I thought it was incredibly petty and ridiculous and struggled believing that a guy like Richard would be as obsessive about this sort of poo poo as he was depicted but I guess it's an actual thing people murder each other over? who knew.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Yeah I thought it was incredibly petty and ridiculous and struggled believing that a guy like Richard would be as obsessive about this sort of poo poo as he was depicted but I guess it's an actual thing people murder each other over? who knew.

Programmers man. I almost caused a shipwreck yesterday evening by asking this question.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Always remember this show is scary-accurate.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

The Dave posted:

For sure all the things that have made me scoff and go "no way" have been actually real things. Like comparing the plight of the American billionaire to that of the Jews in Nazi Germany.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

The Dave posted:

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

The Dave posted:

It's more like a gritty re-enactment of real life tech culture.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Spacing is a huge thing with programmers. I've gotten into little spats about tab spacing in Sublime, I prefer larger spacing vs my friend who likes it smaller (and more cluttered, and ugly.,askjfdkladjd).

I think the default is 4 which is nice but he changes it to 2.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Vintersorg posted:

Spacing is a huge thing with programmers. I've gotten into little spats about tab spacing in Sublime, I prefer larger spacing vs my friend who likes it smaller (and more cluttered, and ugly.,askjfdkladjd).

I think the default is 4 which is nice but he changes it to 2.

4 is the correct tab width.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

2 spaces are enough to denote a nested block, anything longer looks silly to me.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

you're all worse than richard, who the gently caress cares what the code looks like as long as it works

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Ciprian Maricon posted:

you're all worse than richard, who the gently caress cares what the code looks like as long as it works

Depending on the language/environment it won't always work.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Ciprian Maricon posted:

Don't be a party pooper.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Ciprian Maricon posted:

Once, i had to fix a hosed up mess of php that a contractor wrote, and it was like trying to read sanskrit. Its me, I care.

Although in that case the issue was less tabs v spaces and more "lets give different functions the same name because i forgot that i had already used that name for a different function in an earlier version of the script" and "lets not use version control but heres 20 different php files named script_v1, script_v2, etc"

outsourcing development and not having anyone at your company in charge of managing foreign devs is bad

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Solice Kirsk posted:

If you own a cat you definitely want the paper hanging down the back. Otherwise you're gonna walk in on a pile of shredded TP sooner or later.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.

WarLocke posted:

If you own a cat you definitely want the paper hanging down the back. Otherwise you're gonna walk in on a pile of shredded TP sooner or later.

I have cats but I also have doors on my bathrooms?

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

my bony fealty posted:

Although in that case the issue was less tabs v spaces and more "lets give different functions the same name because i forgot that i had already used that name for a different function in an earlier version of the script" and "lets not use version control but heres 20 different php files named script_v1, script_v2, etc"

drat it's almost like tabs and spaces don't matter and caring about that is super dumb

this show is high art, i thought richard was a ridiculous and obnoxious caricature but apparently tons of you are just like him, kudos mike judge

Ciprian Maricon fucked around with this message at 17:23 on May 31, 2016

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Ciprian Maricon posted:

drat it's almost like tabs and spaces don't matter and caring about that is super dumb

this show is high art, i thought richard was a ridiculous and obnoxious caricature but apparently tons of you are just like him, kudos mike judge

Tabs vs. spaces is dumb but vi vs emacs is some holy war poo poo.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Programmers get paid well but hate every aspect of the job that necessitates them getting paid well.

I have to work across 3 projects using 7 different languages and every coder/file has different formatting and stuff. It's academia so some of the files go back to like 2005 with long-retired authors but if you required consistency across everything you'd go insane first. My eye twitches when people put 5 newlines between every Python def then over in Scala their methods are all in one huge blob, but just gotta suppress and move on. Diffs are hard to read when every bit of whitespace gets highlighted.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Ciprian Maricon posted:

yes youre right tabs vs spaces is dumb but there are in fact times when it matters how code is written and not just 'it works its fine'

I really like this episode cuz for once the stakes weren't very high, its great to see the dudes fail at things (minus Jared) other than tech business mumbo jumbo. they are really hammering in how much of a bad CEO Richard is, he has negative people skills and his idea of leadership seems to be "scream like a child until you get what you want."

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Rexides posted:

Depends. If he was writing a completely separate service or tool where he is the sole owner, there are companies that would just shrug and let him code in a way that is most efficient for him. But yeah, if he had to contribute to shared code and his attitude was "I'll do whatever, who cares?", then yeah, that's an rear end in a top hat move that won't get you far.

The point in having coding standards is for everyone and everything to be on the same page. That dude writing the tool that no one else is going to use isn't going to stay at his job forever and when he leaves someone else is going to have to take over it. If you let people "do whatever" they want on their niche tools/scripts then you're going to end up one day hiring new people to take over roles and they're going to spend some time thinking "what the gently caress does this undocumented class even do" and waste time figuring it out.

I know spaces vs. tabs isn't the same thing as having consistent naming schemes and documentation, but it's still part of the coding/style guide. I personally set my text editor to convert tabs into spaces and to read tabs as spaces for my own poo poo, but if I'm contributing to other people's poo poo then I use whatever format they call for because it's part of the job.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Electromax posted:

Programmers get paid well but hate every aspect of the job that necessitates them getting paid well.

This. I had to start programming in grad school and it was the most soul drenching experience imaginable. I gained 2kg and started drinking almost daily, until the project was finished. The fact that I was actually good at it made it somehow even more depressing.

People should cut programmers some slack. It's a miserable husks of a real human existence. Let them rant and blow off some steam from time to time.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Oh yea, you always follow whatever the coding standard is for where you work, no one would argue that.

Badly named methods/variables is far more egregious than tab and space stuff though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
He was being pretty reasonable with Gleb since him using spaces instead of tabs would mess up source control. Then he goes full retard with that bartender.

• Locked thread