Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

Saladman posted:

I don't understand how anyone survives in Stockholm. The taxes are insane, the salaries very low, and the prices for everything super high. Everything costs the same as in Switzerland but at 1/2 the salary for equivalent work and 3x the taxes.

After talking to a few Swedes living here it sounds like everything right-wing Americans say about Sweden is like 90% accurate.

It is not uncommon to have dual-income households in the Scandinavian countries. According to the OECD: "in terms of employment, around 75% of people aged 15 to 64 in Sweden have a paid job, above the OECD employment average of 66% and one of the highest in the OECD. Some 77% of men are in paid work, compared with 73% of women." (via here) Additionally, "the average household net-adjusted disposable income per capita is USD 28 859 a year, less than the OECD average of USD 29 016 a year", which is after taxes and transfers. Considering that healthcare, school, university etc. don't have any extra cost other than taxes, that doesn't seem all that impossible. Also, Sweden, alongside Germany, has the smallest average household size out of all European countries, with an average of 2.0 members per household, while Sweden also has an incredibly high percentage of mothers of children under the age of three who are working. This means that dual-income, relatively small average household sizes and generous government support (in terms of benefits and flexible work leave etc.) don't make things all that impossible.

Switzerland is a special case, and I don't really mean that in the most positive sense. For Swiss people near the German/French border, those places are basically like third-world countries, I am sure, yet somehow people manage to live just fine in Strasbourg or Freiburg, not just in Basel. If your benchmark are Switzerland and right-wing American opinions about welfare states, then I am sure living in Stockholm sounds like the worst idea in history. But then, you are listening to the Swiss and right-wing Americans, so ymmv.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

So my GF and I are expected to arrive in Paris in June 11. I've been reading news about the labor protests over there and, while I haven't paid much attention before I'm starting to wonder that if it drags out, should I be considering alternate plans? I can probably cancel the hotel rooms pretty easily, but what about flights? I bought insurance, but I doubt they'd give me a refund because of civil issues in the country. Perhaps I could exchange for another date?

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
Hey folks,

Planning on taking a vacation this fall somewhere in Europe, and I'd just like to get a few suggestions. I'll be traveling solo.

Travel dates: Flexible. I prefer travelling during "shoulder season" when it's less crowded, and preferably at a time when it's not too hot, but also not too cold (average highs in the 60s-70s F or so). Thinking probably late September or sometime in October, depending on where I go.

Budget: I'd prefer to keep it under ~1500EUR for transport and accommodation (flying from Ireland, staying in hotels or B&Bs; no hostels), but that's somewhat flexible as well.

Where I've been: Many places in Ireland (love it here!), Edinburgh (loved it), London (good), Munich (good), Salzburg (loved it).

What I like: For a week's trip, ideally a couple of quieter small cities/towns, no more than three or four hours or so apart. Places where you can walk to most everything in town (or at least the immediate district), or that have good public transit. Lots of interesting historic architecture to look at and quiet back streets to get lost in (but preferably not stabbed to death on). Parks, museums, historic buildings to tour, etc. Good restaurants to eat at (fancy or not doesn't matter, as long as the food is good). Nice views of lovely scenery are a plus. Mostly I just like to wander around a town taking it all in and visiting a few museums and such along the way.

What I don't care for/about: Night life, outdoor activities (other than walking around town and such, maybe a short stroll down some easy nature trails occasionally), sports, bus tours, anything that requires getting up before dawn to see (I'm on vacation, drat it... :v ).
Public transit between cities would be nice, but I'm also fine with renting a car, especially if there are some nice day trips or drives nearby.

I'd also consider doing a week-long "road trip" through a scenic region, staying for a night or two at a few different towns along the way.

Some ideas I've been considering:
- Krakow and Wrocław
- Prague and either Vienna or Bratislava, or maybe Český Krumlov
- Fly into Nice and do a road trip along the south coast to Marseilles
- Fly into Naples and explore the Almafi coast

Any opinions/experiences with these, or other suggestions to consider? I'll probably be doing all of these and more at some point during the next few years (this living in Europe and getting over a month of vacation time per year poo poo is awesome and I intend to take full advantage!), but there's so much to choose from that it's a little overwhelming now. Appreciate any input y'all can provide! :)

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

dennyk posted:

Hey folks,

Planning on taking a vacation this fall somewhere in Europe, and I'd just like to get a few suggestions. I'll be traveling solo.

Travel dates: Flexible. I prefer travelling during "shoulder season" when it's less crowded, and preferably at a time when it's not too hot, but also not too cold (average highs in the 60s-70s F or so). Thinking probably late September or sometime in October, depending on where I go.

Budget: I'd prefer to keep it under ~1500EUR for transport and accommodation (flying from Ireland, staying in hotels or B&Bs; no hostels), but that's somewhat flexible as well.

Where I've been: Many places in Ireland (love it here!), Edinburgh (loved it), London (good), Munich (good), Salzburg (loved it).

What I like: For a week's trip, ideally a couple of quieter small cities/towns, no more than three or four hours or so apart. Places where you can walk to most everything in town (or at least the immediate district), or that have good public transit. Lots of interesting historic architecture to look at and quiet back streets to get lost in (but preferably not stabbed to death on). Parks, museums, historic buildings to tour, etc. Good restaurants to eat at (fancy or not doesn't matter, as long as the food is good). Nice views of lovely scenery are a plus. Mostly I just like to wander around a town taking it all in and visiting a few museums and such along the way.

What I don't care for/about : Night life, outdoor activities (other than walking around town and such, maybe a short stroll down some easy nature trails occasionally), sports, bus tours, anything that requires getting up before dawn to see (I'm on vacation, drat it... :v ).
Public transit between cities would be nice, but I'm also fine with renting a car, especially if there are some nice day trips or drives nearby.

I'd also consider doing a week-long "road trip" through a scenic region, staying for a night or two at a few different towns along the way.

Some ideas I've been considering:
- Krakow and Wrocław
- Prague and either Vienna or Bratislava, or maybe Český Krumlov
- Fly into Nice and do a road trip along the south coast to Marseilles
- Fly into Naples and explore the Almafi coast

Any opinions/experiences with these, or other suggestions to consider? I'll probably be doing all of these and more at some point during the next few years (this living in Europe and getting over a month of vacation time per year poo poo is awesome and I intend to take full advantage!), but there's so much to choose from that it's a little overwhelming now. Appreciate any input y'all can provide! :)

This sounds pretty much like Spain would be perfect for you. Cool museums, nice parks, great food, very walkable, and tonnes of cities off the beaten path or areas of bigger cities that aren't so touristic. Transit between cities by train or bus is very easy, or you could rent a car. Consider Madrid or Sevilla for a bigger city, and maybe Jerez or Logroño for smaller cities, both of which I've enjoyed visiting immensely. I think flights and accommodation could easily be done for under 1500€ for a week in any of the above, even staying in decent well-located hotels.

Mind you, I just recommend Spain to everyone for the most part, all the time, since I've really enjoyed it myself so many times now, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 18:09 on May 26, 2016

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Solaris 2.0 posted:

So my GF and I are expected to arrive in Paris in June 11. I've been reading news about the labor protests over there and, while I haven't paid much attention before I'm starting to wonder that if it drags out, should I be considering alternate plans? I can probably cancel the hotel rooms pretty easily, but what about flights? I bought insurance, but I doubt they'd give me a refund because of civil issues in the country. Perhaps I could exchange for another date?

If the strike is still going on by then, then France will be placed next to Zimbabwe and Venezuela on your "hosed countries" list. (The strike will not last that long). I'd worry much more about getting around because the EuroCup, hosted in France this year, starts June 10th. There won't be a strike, but everything will sell out well in advance and be crowded.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Hollow Talk posted:

Switzerland is a special case, and I don't really mean that in the most positive sense. For Swiss people near the German/French border, those places are basically like third-world countries,

Uh... what? No, Geneva and Vallorbe and Delemont are not "basically like a third world country".

Edit: Oh, you mean in how they feel about those countries. Yes to France, not so much to Germany.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Rolled Cabbage posted:

Hey goons what is fun to do in Den Haag? I am unexpectedly free/come drinking with me tomorrow. I can tell you boring facts about ICC! :shobon:

CLAM DOWN posted:

I'm kinda curious about this too, planning to check it out on my trip.

I guess the beach is nice now that the weather's better. I haven't been to the refurbished pier yet, but that may be nice. There's Madurodam (national miniature city), the Mauritshuis with a lot of Dutch masters, the Gemeentemuseum with a pretty good collection of modern art. You can get tours of the parliament building (weird mix of medieval, 19th century and modern stuff) pretty much every day.

SandersPacheco
Jul 15, 2004

Faster than light
Hey guys, I'm planning to go to Europe this June. For those soccer enthusiasts, the Euro 2016 is happening in June, so things are gonna be hectic.

What I need is some tips from Eurogoons on where can I watch the Euro matches? For reference:

- I'll be in Paris on the 15th, where France plays vs Albania
- I'll be in Berlin on the 16th, where Germany plays vs Poland
- I'll be in Rome on the 22nd, where italy plays vs Ireland

So, I'm aiming to watch each of those matches ideally in some pub with lots of locals and good beer/food/atmosphere.

So, Eurogoons, can you help me recommend me places to see those matches in Paris, Berlin and Rome?

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Saladman posted:

If the strike is still going on by then, then France will be placed next to Zimbabwe and Venezuela on your "hosed countries" list. (The strike will not last that long). I'd worry much more about getting around because the EuroCup, hosted in France this year, starts June 10th. There won't be a strike, but everything will sell out well in advance and be crowded.

Ahh lol this is what I get for not being a soccer fan. Completely forgot about Eurocup. Still, I'll take having to deal with crowds over having to deal with crowd-control!

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Solaris 2.0 posted:

If everyone cancelled their plans every time there was a strike in Paris there'd be no tourists there ever.

If it makes you feel any better I'm arriving there June 10th and I give zero shits about the strike. Like literally worst case scenario there will be fewer RERs and Metros running.

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006

EricBauman posted:

I guess the beach is nice now that the weather's better. I haven't been to the refurbished pier yet, but that may be nice. There's Madurodam (national miniature city), the Mauritshuis with a lot of Dutch masters, the Gemeentemuseum with a pretty good collection of modern art. You can get tours of the parliament building (weird mix of medieval, 19th century and modern stuff) pretty much every day.

Ended up having bbq on beach and it was great! A++ would beach again

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

I can smell your pussy, Clarice.
I'll be in Barcelona and Rome at the end of June and had a couple questions. Please forgive me if they've already been answered before.

First, I've been told by a couple people that Barcelona can be slightly dangerous. Being a woman traveling with another woman, this makes me a little nervous. Is this true, and if so, are there areas we should stay away from?

Second, if we need to get around to any place that is a bit of a distance that will require transit, what are the best options in Rome and Barcelona?

Lastly, where should I go to exchange currency?

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe
The usual precautions should be enough. Stay clear of small side streets in the dark (Barri Gotic in Barcelona for example) and beware of pickpockets. What do you want to see in Barcelona that would require non inner city public transport?

quote:

Lastly, where should I go to exchange currency?

Your best bet is usually to just use an atm. If you are from the US make sure you have or get your credit card pin (4 digits) from your bank.

elwood fucked around with this message at 21:02 on May 30, 2016

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

elwood posted:

The usual precautions should be enough. Stay clear of small side streets in the dark (Barri Gotic in Barcelona for example) and beware of pickpockets. What do you want to see in Barcelona that would require non inner city public transport?

Your best bet is usually to just use an atm. If you are from the US make sure you have or get your credit card pin (4 digits) from your bank.

Thanks for the info!

I'm honestly not sure if I'll need transport in Barcelona, but I know I will in Rome. We fly into FCO and our hotel in a in Rome. I have no idea if an airport shuttle will go that far.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
6 digit PINs work fine everywhere too.

There's a train from FCO to Rome Termini, it's easy/obvious. There's probably a cheaper & slower bus option too. Same for Barcelona -- there's a new metro line that goes to the airport (though you have to change once to get into the center) as well as a direct bus (not sure if that one's slower or cheaper).

Barcelona and Rome are fine. People worry about them because (especially with Barcelona) these are often the first places Americans and Canadians go when they're 18 and don't know anything about traveling or how to avoid obvious scams and sketchy places. If a place looks sketchy it might be (but probably isn't unless late at night). If a place looks nice and safe then it is.

Edit: Hotels in central Rome and Barcelona will have a 100% chance of not offering complimentary shuttle service to the airports. If they offer them at any price, it will be more than a taxi and way more than the easy-to-use public transit.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 21:43 on May 30, 2016

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Bloody Cat Farm posted:

Thanks for the info!

I'm honestly not sure if I'll need transport in Barcelona, but I know I will in Rome. We fly into FCO and our hotel in a in Rome. I have no idea if an airport shuttle will go that far.

Find out before you go. When I was in Madrid, I saw some woman trying to figure out how to get from the airport to her hotel who had done no prior research and didn't want to pay for a taxi, and it didn't look like a fun experience.

Who knew that the shuttles that go to the hotels right by the airport don't drive all the way into downtown to drive you to any arbitrary hotel for free? Well, not this woman!

EDIT: The only two things I hear about Barcelona are "it's beautiful and perfect and you must go," or "it's expensive, touristy, and you will get pickpocketed or scammed." No middle ground.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 21:42 on May 30, 2016

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

PT6A posted:

EDIT: The only two things I hear about Barcelona are "it's beautiful and perfect and you must go," or "it's expensive, touristy, and you will get pickpocketed or scammed." No middle ground.

I have a pretty middle ground opinion of Barcelona. It's okay and nice enough, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone as their first trip to Spain*. I spent a week there as my first trip to Spain and I didn't go back to Spain for 8 years afterwards because "eh, it's like a less-historically-interesting version of Italy and without the gelato". I didn't get robbed or harassed or anything. I've spent like a month altogether in Spain in the last year and a half, including 5 days in Barcelona, and that definitely cemented my opinion.

*You'll enjoy it, other poster, don't get me wrong! And Rome will definitely blow you away.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort
La Rambla used to be quite sketchy. Some 15 years ago I saw pickpockets, street hustlers, prostitutes and drug dealers and I evaded a pickpocketing/mugging attempt. Last year I didn't see any of that and it was far less interesting. Actually I did see drug dealers, just not on La Rambla. It's well policed. The streets around it less so and I probably wouldn't have felt comfortable if I were a woman, alone.

edit: All this applies to night time.

Doctor Malaver fucked around with this message at 22:25 on May 30, 2016

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

I'm glad I asked you guys. Thank you! I'll check out the rail system prior to going so I know what to expect.

As far as pins... I will need a 6 digit pin for my ATM/debit? Is 4 ok?

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

I must sound like an idiot. I've never travelled abroad so this is all new to me

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

EricBauman posted:

Also, the Escher museum.

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Good loving luck finding a time when there isn't a strike and protesting campaign going on in France! :v:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Bloody Cat Farm posted:

I must sound like an idiot. I've never travelled abroad so this is all new to me

Everyone has a first time. Most of the things that you might get anxious about turn out to be extremely simple once you actually experience them.

A four digit pin is fine. Six is an option, I think. If you have a tap-enabled card (or maybe Apple Pay? I didn't try it) it will work as well.

If you want to know how to get around using transit, use Google Maps. It will work for pretty much every city of any reasonable size, although sometimes airport-specific transit needs to be handled separately because it's not always provided by the same company as general urban transit. I can't say with certainty this applies to Barcelona, but the buses in Spain tend to announce each stop, which is dead convenient if you're a tourist.

Saladman posted:

I spent a week there as my first trip to Spain and I didn't go back to Spain for 8 years afterwards because "eh, it's like a less-historically-interesting version of Italy and without the gelato". I didn't get robbed or harassed or anything. I've spent like a month altogether in Spain in the last year and a half, including 5 days in Barcelona, and that definitely cemented my opinion.

Just to clarify: is that your opinion of Barcelona or of Spain as a whole? I'm not saying you're wrong, especially as I haven't been to Italy myself, I'm just curious how you find Barcelona compared to other parts of Spain.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

PT6A posted:

If you want to know how to get around using transit, use Google Maps.

I disagree and recommend city-specific (usually official) apps for public transport information/maps/routing.

Google maps might be ok for that in some places, but I find it severely lacking whenever I try it.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
4 OR 6 digit pin is fine. I have a 6 digit pin and the only place it's ever not worked has been Bolivia which stopped entry after 4 digits in every ATM. Not sure if anywhere requires a 6 digit.

Spain is awesome, but going only to Barcelona is like visiting Boston (also a great city) and never going to the test of the U.S. because you've "seen America". I know so many Americans that have been to Baecelona and only Barcelona and it's too bad they never go back anywhere else. Also PT6A you should really check out Italy.

I'm also a huge fan of Google Maps for navigating. City specific ones are more likely than not to be garbage apps programmed by idiots, slow, unable to navigate, and never updated.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

I'm talking specifically about public transportation stuff, not just general getting around.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

The only place I found Google Maps hasn't worked just fine for transit was Auckland, because I don't even think the locals can navigate that clusterfuck of a bus system.

The Schwa
Jul 1, 2008

That's probably more of a problem with Auckland than with Google, yeah.

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe

Bloody Cat Farm posted:

Thanks for the info!

Most attractions are walkable in Barcelona, but a 10 trip metro card is cheap enough (10 €) so just get that one. A taxi from the airport to the city centre is around 30-35 € (Barcelona). The cable cars up to Montjuïc Castle are expensive, but the castle itself is free if you go on sunday after 3 pm. If you want to visit la sagrada familia and or park güell book your tickets and time slot online or be prepared to wait and wait and wait.
Last time I was there we just rented bikes for a day and cycled all over the city. Bike rental is pretty cheap even for a day.

elwood fucked around with this message at 08:45 on May 31, 2016

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

Ok so I don't need a 6 digit pin. Cool.

Sounds like google maps will be ok?

elwood posted:

Most attractions are walkable in Barcelona, but a 10 trip metro card is cheap enough (10 €) so just get that one. A taxi from the airport to the city centre is around 30-35 € (Barcelona). The cable cars up to Montjuïc Castle are expensive, but the castle itself is free if you go on sunday after 3 pm. If you want to visit la sagrada familia and or park güell book your tickets and time slot online or be prepared to wait and wait and wait.
Last time I was there we just rented bikes for a day and cycled all over the city. Bike rental is pretty cheap even for a day.

I didn't even think of the bike idea. That's awesome!

You guys are SO helpful. Thank you. Puts my mind at ease a bit more.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
Google maps works sort of okay off wifi. It caches maps for 30 days, so just sort of zoom around in Rome and Barcelona beforehand on wifi and you'll be good. It doesn't work for navigation when offline (on iPhone at least, not sure about android) but it'll have metro stations marker and it should be pretty easy even if you don't speak Spanish.

Central Rome is super walkable, you'll probably never need to even take the metro (which apparently exists) and buses are kind of useful but not at all necessary. IMO the major sites in Barcelona are more spread out than Rome.

Traffic in Rome is a nightmare and streets are narrow so you can't bike there unless you're suicidal. Barcelona is surprisingly super low traffic, and the streets are all very wide.

Enjoy! Don't try to plan everything to a T, especially with timing, or you'll stress out over it.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Saladman posted:

Google maps works sort of okay off wifi. It caches maps for 30 days, so just sort of zoom around in Rome and Barcelona beforehand on wifi and you'll be good.

Or better yet, use the Offline Maps function: https://support.google.com/maps/answer/6291838?hl=en

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Yo, me and my gf are planning a 6-day (maybe an extra day, we haven't decided 100% yet) trip to Florence and Venice, around three days in each place, sometime later this year. Most likely between august 1st and 15th somewhere. We're thinking of starting in Florence and then rent a car so we can stop at a few interesting sights on the outskirts of the two places on our trek from one to the other. I've heard parking by Venice is a nightmare and a half, so my guess is we'll probably either park or drop the car off in Mestre.

edit: or in reverse order depending on ticket prices for the flights

does this sound doable?

ulvir fucked around with this message at 12:07 on May 31, 2016

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

Jeoh posted:

Or better yet, use the Offline Maps function: https://support.google.com/maps/answer/6291838?hl=en

Nice! Didn't know that existed.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

ulvir posted:

Yo, me and my gf are planning a 6-day (maybe an extra day, we haven't decided 100% yet) trip to Florence and Venice, around three days in each place, sometime later this year. Most likely between august 1st and 15th somewhere. We're thinking of starting in Florence and then rent a car so we can stop at a few interesting sights on the outskirts of the two places on our trek from one to the other. I've heard parking by Venice is a nightmare and a half, so my guess is we'll probably either park or drop the car off in Mestre.

does this sound doable?

It's a 3 hour drive but through some crazy mountainous terrain, it's doable. There's just alot to see in Italy

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

ulvir posted:

does this sound doable?

Definitely doable, but if you're spending the full time in Florence and Venice I have no idea why you would want a car. Italy's train service works really well between major cities. Either spend a 6 day trip from Florence to Venice, spending 1 day in each city, and drive between for 4 days, or spend a 6 day trip with 3/3 and don't get a car at all.

Also keep in mind that most cities and non-coastal regions of Italy are closed in August, although this doesn't apply to the tourist hotspot of Florence, but it probably will apply to a lot of smaller scenic villages in the countryside. In Milan, for instance, 98% of the native population flees to the lakes and beachsides for the entire month of August. Even the Roma beggars at the station and many major grocery stores take the month off (except for the duomo plaza). <-- Literally, that is not exaggeration.

Edit: Also if you do drive, absolutely don't do it the first weekend of August going from Florence towards the coast. I can't even imagine how miserable that will be. I've driven through France the correct way at the last weekend of August (going south) and I think I would've driven off the first tall bridge if I'd been headed north. Thank the peage system for slowing down traffic by -hours- every time you pass a major city!

Saladman fucked around with this message at 13:34 on May 31, 2016

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

Jeoh posted:

Yeah offline maps are a godsend. Otherwise you will zoom in or out and everything will be blurry.

Tripadvisor will also let you download an entire city, which is really helpful for finding restaurants or bars nearby.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

caberham posted:

It's a 3 hour drive but through some crazy mountainous terrain, it's doable. There's just alot to see in Italy

Saladman posted:

Definitely doable, but if you're spending the full time in Florence and Venice I have no idea why you would want a car. Italy's train service works really well between major cities. Either spend a 6 day trip from Florence to Venice, spending 1 day in each city, and drive between for 4 days, or spend a 6 day trip with 3/3 and don't get a car at all.

Also keep in mind that most cities and non-coastal regions of Italy are closed in August, although this doesn't apply to the tourist hotspot of Florence, but it probably will apply to a lot of smaller scenic villages in the countryside. In Milan, for instance, 98% of the native population flees to the lakes and beachsides for the entire month of August. Even the Roma beggars at the station and many major grocery stores take the month off (except for the duomo plaza). <-- Literally, that is not exaggeration.

Edit: Also if you do drive, absolutely don't do it the first weekend of August going from Florence towards the coast. I can't even imagine how miserable that will be. I've driven through France the correct way at the last weekend of August (going south) and I think I would've driven off the first tall bridge if I'd been headed north. Thank the peage system for slowing down traffic by -hours- every time you pass a major city!

it's mostly my gf that wants a car for the supposed flexibility, and not having to bother with train schedules between cities. I'm 100% certain we won't ever use it in Florence or Venice (even if they had roads), only from one place to another with a few stops on the way there. we've more or less landed on starting in Venice, so at least we won't have to follow the summer holiday traffic, should we decide to rent one (which I'm trying to persuade her to drop). Thanks for the warning though.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

ulvir posted:

it's mostly my gf that wants a car for the supposed flexibility, and not having to bother with train schedules between cities. I'm 100% certain we won't ever use it in Florence or Venice (even if they had roads), only from one place to another with a few stops on the way there. we've more or less landed on starting in Venice, so at least we won't have to follow the summer holiday traffic, should we decide to rent one (which I'm trying to persuade her to drop). Thanks for the warning though.

The train is ~€20/ea, takes 2 or 2.5 hours depending on which one, and there are 23 direct trains per day running approximately 2 times per hour every hour from 7:30am until 10:14pm. I just realized I looked in direction Firenze -> Venezia but it'll be the same give or take in the opposite direction. I'm usually all about driving in this forum, but in this case it seems like a particularly unenjoyable experience.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
Has your gf ever been in a fiat hatchback on an Italian highway? If not you might want to search youtube to give her an idea of what she's getting into.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Using a car when you plan to divide your time between 2 well connected cities sounds really dumb, sorry. Especially in Italy and especially when one of those cities is Venice. Those small towns in-between that you want to visit are probably where that train stops on its way anyway and if not then getting there is still easy using regional trains or buses. I could understand renting a car if you're doing a road trip or on a longer stretch but as it is it sounds like somebody not understanding how much pain in the rear end this idea is. It won't be a romantic drive in a convertible through the mountains, it will be 2 people sweating while stuck in a traffic jam for hours cursing every time they want to find a parking spot. But hey, dumber things have been done for girlfriends so more power to you.