Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Genji's M2 really hurts, and you don't even need to get behind him to make it work, though doing so almost guarantees you'll out-DPS the Bastion, especially if you dashed to do it.

Onean fucked around with this message at 11:10 on May 31, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
You reflect, he stops shooting, you dash through him, by the time he tracks behind you, you're already above him and m2 spamming and he's dead. You can approach from angles and bypass choke points he's watching, and you have no falloff so your ninja stars are easy to just spam at him from weird places.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Zorodius posted:

yeah, genji isn't actually a great bastion counter if bastion isn't retarded

I have honestly never not managed to kill a bastion with Genji's reflect. I say this as someone with more time as bastion than any other hero.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I want to see a general drop to turret damage (both IKEA and Robofucker varieties) and a reduction in the rate in which Mercy's super charges. Pairing her up with a Reinhardt or Roadhog (really the only thing that she seems made for at this moment) and making the opponent fight your team twice in a row in overtime is far too popular right now. I can handle the big tanks pretty well on my favorite characters, but having to do it twice is fatiguing even when it's a bad player.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Zorodius posted:

yeah, genji isn't actually a great bastion counter if bastion isn't retarded

And the genji is? You don't reflect just to make him kill himself with his bullets, you reflect so you can close the gap and dance on his head

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Personally, I'm very rarely healing a Reinhardt as Mercy. The vast majority of my healing goes to everyone else. Instead, I'm often boosting someone if they're smart and letting Reinhardt tank with his shield, as they should be.

Now Roadhog, I love having a Roadhog on my team. So much ult charge.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Right, and that's what I mean. Ult charge needs to be modified to require more healing on these characters or something so I'm not left going "jesus christ AGAIN?!?!?"

edit: For context, I'm one of those players that goes out there and throws myself at the invincible fortress of doom and gets fragged over and over again, since I played a lot of FPSes in the days before deaths were tracked. There are times where I'm dying every 90 seconds or so and every single life has a GUTEN MORGEN.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 11:39 on May 31, 2016

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
Got 9 votes on my card as mercy last night. I'm probably never going to beat that.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Germstore posted:

Got 9 votes on my card as mercy last night. I'm probably never going to beat that.

I always tip my healer :v:

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.

Minrad posted:

You reflect, he stops shooting, you dash through him, by the time he tracks behind you, you're already above him and m2 spamming and he's dead. You can approach from angles and bypass choke points he's watching, and you have no falloff so your ninja stars are easy to just spam at him from weird places.

I mean, if you have time to do all that poo poo, sure, but I'd usually picture a Bastion firing from his back lines. From a distance, peeking Genji's M1 against Bastion's turret mode is a lovely proposition, and he can self-heal chip damage.

In that situation, Widow/Pharah/Junkrat/Hanzo can all handle Bastion much better than Genji can.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

did you know: multiple heroes counter thing, so countering a hero with one thing is a losing proposition

furthermore,

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
For those of you that care about lore and haven't seen it, Blizzard slipped in a bit of important back story unification in an article a few days ago. Feel free to skip it if you don't care, there's nothing new there aside from some solidifying of some background details. A lot of it was known, but mostly from scattered sources like Blizzcon panels and various Hero backgrounds.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Germstore posted:

I got instant Epic as Lucio in one match which felt really good :shobon:

Blizzard is actually really good about dealing with the non-game aspect of their games it seems

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

I have been playing in so many six stacks lately that every game involves looking both teams either getting their color to 6 votes or abstaining from voting. I haven't seen a legendary card since beta launched. :rip:

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013

Craptacular! posted:

Right, and that's what I mean. Ult charge needs to be modified to require more healing on these characters or something so I'm not left going "jesus christ AGAIN?!?!?"

edit: For context, I'm one of those players that goes out there and throws myself at the invincible fortress of doom and gets fragged over and over again, since I played a lot of FPSes in the days before deaths were tracked. There are times where I'm dying every 90 seconds or so and every single life has a GUTEN MORGEN.

To be fair, if a Mercy is getting a ton of Ult charge off of a Roadhog, the opposing team is also getting a ton of Ult charge off of a Roadhog. Even better: The Roadhog is probably denying some charge from the Mercy with his own healing move.

Incidentally: If you have your Ult charged, stop shooting Roadhog's fat gut. Use your Ult or find someone else to pick on unless you know you're going to kill Roadhog (you probably won't)

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Craptacular! posted:

I want to see a general drop to turret damage (both IKEA and Robofucker varieties) and a reduction in the rate in which Mercy's super charges. Pairing her up with a Reinhardt or Roadhog (really the only thing that she seems made for at this moment) and making the opponent fight your team twice in a row in overtime is far too popular right now. I can handle the big tanks pretty well on my favorite characters, but having to do it twice is fatiguing even when it's a bad player.

Torb turrets are already some of the weakest weapons in the game.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
After playing about 200 matches since the game released I can confidently say I love this game. The only thing I do not like is Reaper's ultimate. I've seen too many successful pushes stopped in their tracks because of that ability. It absolutely has counters but there is next to no time to react. As soon as I hear his dumb voice saying "die die die" I want to throw my computer out the window. Nothing else in the game makes me feel that way so its doing real good overall.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I reinhardt charged a roadhog who was ulting thinking yeah easy pin

It turns out you ineffectively charge in place while he empties the whole clip into your face

Wildtortilla posted:

After playing about 200 matches since the game released I can confidently say I love this game. The only thing I do not like is Reaper's ultimate. I've seen too many successful pushes stopped in their tracks because of that ability. It absolutely has counters but there is next to no time to react. As soon as I hear his dumb voice saying "die die die" I want to throw my computer out the window. Nothing else in the game makes me feel that way so its doing real good overall.
There was one match where the enemy reaper kept teleporting to really weird high spots I've never seen anyone use, then using his ult as he drops down so there was literally no reaction time at all before you died if you were a 200HP hero. That's just something that will come with experience I guess

Ahhpple
Dec 18, 2011

Delete widowmaker

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2REmh77gM9s

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

Onean posted:

For those of you that care about lore and haven't seen it, Blizzard slipped in a bit of important back story unification in an article a few days ago. Feel free to skip it if you don't care, there's nothing new there aside from some solidifying of some background details. A lot of it was known, but mostly from scattered sources like Blizzcon panels and various Hero backgrounds.

I feel like this was really badly written and I'm disappointed.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Shnooks posted:

I feel like this was really badly written and I'm disappointed.

Blizzard writers botched it, you say?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Lousy games for me last night. Some of that was lousy teammates too. Most of the games I joined I was dumped in from people leaving. I jumped in to a Numbani defense as Torbjorn just as the enemy captured the payload checkpoint. I didn't get a kill until after my turret was set up just before the final stretch under the sniper perch, and I still got a card for 44% kill participation.

Switching to Attack on Numbani I went D.Va as our sole tank because I didn't care and wanted to see if I could make the "flanking D.Va" work. It uh, didn't. I shot an AFK Roadhog in the head for several seconds without killing it before the Bastion I hadn't noticed beside him finally noticed me. The best move I did was to charge bump a Widow off the ledge, but I didn't stop in time either. Our team lost badly and never capped the payload point. It was so bad that I got play of the game as D.Va for trying and failing to kill the Bastion who had killed me, dropping my ult as I was dying, which somehow failed to kill the Bastion or anything else, then me shooting it to death with my pistol. How unimpressive was everything else for THAT to be PotG?

Pumpy Dumper posted:

I've actually been getting pretty decent at genji. I find you have to know the maps fairly well to know where you can climb and double jump to sneak around. Also one burst of LMB plus dash is enough to kill a widow maker and I will always aim for them first.

If the Genji is in melee range, you're hosed even if you stop shooting before he deflects because he can RMB-dash you. And with Bastion's DPS, just a split second of firing while Reflect is up will screw you over. So you kinda have to pretty much stop shooting as soon as you see a Genji, letting him get free hits in.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

A good way to deal with Mercy ressing everybody, is to kill the Mercy.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Lady Naga posted:

Torb turrets are already some of the weakest weapons in the game.

Fair enough. I play a lot of him and I think the turrets are rather disposable.

exquisite tea posted:

A good way to deal with Mercy ressing everybody, is to kill the Mercy.

I already run around like an idiot after her, usually getting killed going after her and telling the team that she's down.

It's questionable if that strategy is sound, if taking out the rest of the team takes so long that she gets back to a whole bunch of yellow orbs.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

How do your 'career profile' stats handle switching characters mid-game? e.g., if you change from winston to reinhardt mid-game, would your per-game stats in your profile for each hero be artificially _lower_ because you only got a half-game's worth of stats accumulated? Or is it somehow pro-rated based on game time? Anyone test this, or see a blizz comment on it?

Zifnab
Aug 21, 2005

Hope Springs Eternal

Bolivar posted:

The reaper is probably yelling at you to heal him at the other side of the map.

I hate that hotkey.

Hanzo, stop yelling at me when you're at 95% health and on the other side of the map when the rest of us are on the payload :argh:

I feel like I never win KotH matches because I always get put in groups that will stand and fight just outside of the objective area, letting the other team stage up in the zone.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

pmchem posted:

How do your 'career profile' stats handle switching characters mid-game? e.g., if you change from winston to reinhardt mid-game, would your per-game stats in your profile for each hero be artificially _lower_ because you only got a half-game's worth of stats accumulated? Or is it somehow pro-rated based on game time? Anyone test this, or see a blizz comment on it?

oh and similarly, how does changing heros affect your chances of getting a vote card on the recap screen or POTG?

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Switching to Attack on Numbani I went D.Va as our sole tank because I didn't care and wanted to see if I could make the "flanking D.Va" work. It uh, didn't. I shot an AFK Roadhog in the head for several seconds without killing it before the Bastion I hadn't noticed beside him finally noticed me. The best move I did was to charge bump a Widow off the ledge, but I didn't stop in time either. Our team lost badly and never capped the payload point. It was so bad that I got play of the game as D.Va for trying and failing to kill the Bastion who had killed me, dropping my ult as I was dying, which somehow failed to kill the Bastion or anything else, then me shooting it to death with my pistol. How unimpressive was everything else for THAT to be PotG?
At the risk of being theorycrafty: with d.va you want to flank when your team has a strong main offense pushing a main route (by strong I mean damage dealers.) If your team has a lot of flankers then stay on the main route, attract attention, fly around, be annoying and just exist so your flankers can maybe make useful things happen.

And even though d.va is like impossible to kill, stay back when your team is half dead. You really need to keep in tempo with your team because being an annoying pink barn-sized distraction is only valuable if someone takes advantage of it.

e: And obviously, try to kill people.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Zifnab posted:

I feel like I never win KotH matches because I always get put in groups that will stand and fight just outside of the objective area, letting the other team stage up in the zone.
It's really kind of amazing how people don't seem to understand that you need to stand in the objectives. Not in sight of the objectives, or kind of near the objective, but in it (or right adjacent to it, for the payload). Even my aged incompetence won a game earlier just due to standing on a payload while everyone else fought a room over. And definitely hit the KotH issue a lot too, long hard fights to clear it then only me actually standing in them to cap it. Or attempt to anyway, then half the enemy team runs over and murders me. :psyduck:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

pmchem posted:

oh and similarly, how does changing heros affect your chances of getting a vote card on the recap screen or POTG?

Well the vote cards can be given out for any old thing, but playing one hero consistently will give you a better chance of appearing there, I guess? And any play can make PotG. But neither of them are meaningful so you should always switch heroes if the situation calls for it. Lots of people love complaining when matches turn into a meat grinder but are far more reluctant to change heroes even when it could help them push through and win.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Asimo posted:

It's really kind of amazing how people don't seem to understand that you need to stand in the objectives. Not in sight of the objectives, or kind of near the objective, but in it (or right adjacent to it, for the payload). Even my aged incompetence won a game earlier just due to standing on a payload while everyone else fought a room over. And definitely hit the KotH issue a lot too, long hard fights to clear it then only me actually standing in them to cap it. Or attempt to anyway, then half the enemy team runs over and murders me. :psyduck:

That's when you pick Reinhardt, stand on the objective and turn your shield on. Teammates will be drawn to your big manly shield like moths and you'll win

exquisite tea posted:

Well the vote cards can be given out for any old thing, but playing one hero consistently will give you a better chance of appearing there, I guess? And any play can make PotG. But neither of them are meaningful so you should always switch heroes if the situation calls for it. Lots of people love complaining when matches turn into a meat grinder but are far more reluctant to change heroes even when it could help them push through and win.

I got a POTG in a king of the hill map before the control point unlocked :shobon: My team went one way, I went the other, the two teams fought and I literally walked up and shot everyone in the back with Soldier 76

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I'm realizing that hitting a sniper with Kenyatta's discord orb is usually enough to make them head for cover asap. It's the best thing ever because you can just duck out, hit E, and pop back behind cover. If you're using voice comms you can then be like "sniper up there, I got an orb on them" and if your team is quick enough with a winston or a dva they'll peep that orb indicator and head up there to ruin the sniper's day. Sure the orb only lasts for a few seconds once LOS is broken but the typical sniper doesn't do much other than duck back in a doorway or behind a corner along the same walkway so lighting them up once is enough to know where they are for a pretty long time.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

pmchem posted:

I'm not sure about kills/deaths etc but I think the win/loss stat only counts for the hero you were playing as when the game ended. (I have a 100% win rate with Symmetra I guess because I always switch to a different hero if we lose the first defense point)

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Help Im Alive posted:

I'm not sure about kills/deaths etc but I think the win/loss stat only counts for the hero you were playing as when the game ended. (I have a 100% win rate with Symmetra I guess because I always switch to a different hero if we lose the first defense point)

How do you play Symmetra? I got her legendary skin that looks like a cool Hindu Goddess

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Play Tower Defense 2016 with forward turrets to very quickly get out a teleporter and hide it in a good spot. Zone people out with her M2, shield allies and reposition turrets when you see how the enemy team is moving. That's about it for Symmetra, your entire goal is to win the game for your team in 5 minutes.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

How do you play Symmetra? I got her legendary skin that looks like a cool Hindu Goddess

Put up sentries in groups of 3 or 6 -> Babysit those sentries -> Murder anyone that comes into that room -> Set up teleporter.

Alternatively just litter a cap point in KOTH with sentries everywhere, since the other team will usually be too busy dealing with your team to take them out when they push.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Finished on an anticlimactic (for me) volskaya last night. We had roadhog and Reinhardt so I went Lucio. The enemy was right outside our doors for some reason and our rush overran them and took point a immediately. I tagged in most of the kills so had ult up already. We rushed point b and I followed roadhog in, ready to break it down and guarantee the win. While rounding a corner I keel over dead from full health. :wtf:

Watching the replay, the roadhog yank and spanked a junkrat the split second before I turned the corner myself, and the death grenades got me. Speed boosted to get back to the fight but the victory popped before I was halfway back. Crazy.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

The main issue whenever I pick her is that people think "Oh there's a support already good" as if the dinky little shield is gonna keep the team alive, and her sentries aren't typically as effective as Torbjorn on a lot of maps, and Torbjorn also tosses armor at your team the same way Symmetra gives shields

It seems like she was supposed to be a Defense hero

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

The main issue whenever I pick her is that people think "Oh there's a support already good" as if the dinky little shield is gonna keep the team alive, and her sentries aren't typically as effective as Torbjorn on a lot of maps, and Torbjorn also tosses armor at your team the same way Symmetra gives shields

It seems like she was supposed to be a Defense hero

Symmetra's "Support" tag comes 100% from her teleporter. Just play her as if she was classified defense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

Capturing Hanamura continues to be difficult, except when the entire enemy team runs off to somewhere else to play team deathmatch with some of the rest of your team and you literally walk in through the front door and capture the point without firing or being fired at.

In other news, Reapers continue to be 5% pretty ok and 95% the most useless heroes on the entire team.