Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Symmetra cannot solo support but a team that understands this is also a team competent enough to hold Defense Point A for what is usually an easy win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

lazorexplosion posted:

In other news, Reapers continue to be 5% pretty ok and 95% the most useless heroes on the entire team.

There's like no middle ground for reapers. Either they're utterly garbage or they're getting ult every 10 seconds and shutting down every single loving push your team attempts by jumping on the payload from a roof and doing his stupid little dance.

I think I'm salty about Reapers. :(

Primetime
Jul 3, 2009

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I got a POTG in a king of the hill map before the control point unlocked :shobon: My team went one way, I went the other, the two teams fought and I literally walked up and shot everyone in the back with Soldier 76

My most recent PotG was when I was dropped onto a defending team when the enemy team was 10 yards from the finish line. I exited spawn, got 3 headshots in a row on hanzo, died and we lost. Play of the game, 3 kills, 100% accuracy.

Also, I think torb turrets need a slight delay on their tracking. Just a 1 second delay before they fire. Sure they aren't crazy strong, but if I put in a ton of work flanking the whole enemy team as tracer the turret shouldn't instantly do a complete 180 and start locking me down

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

Symmetra can also solo certain characters around if you can jump around like crazy and avoid a couple hits. Her regular beam is crazy powerful when charged and the auto-targeting makes it easier to run circles around a person.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Primetime posted:

My most recent PotG was when I was dropped onto a defending team when the enemy team was 10 yards from the finish line. I exited spawn, got 3 headshots in a row on hanzo, died and we lost. Play of the game, 3 kills, 100% accuracy.

Also, I think torb turrets need a slight delay on their tracking. Just a 1 second delay before they fire. Sure they aren't crazy strong, but if I put in a ton of work flanking the whole enemy team as tracer the turret shouldn't instantly do a complete 180 and start locking me down

Hmm yes, let's nerf Torbjorn in favor of Tracer.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I think I am a bad widowmaker but I am better than 90% of widowmakers I come across holy poo poo.

TASTE THE PAIN!!
May 18, 2004

We actually lost to a team with Symmetra on Lijang tower last night... :negative:

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Primetime posted:

I have not had a problem with torb turrets at all and I am amazed people do. A second delay before firing would make them even weaker to corner peeking to the point they may as well not exist.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

TASTE THE PAIN!! posted:

We actually lost to a team with Symmetra on Lijang tower last night... :negative:

She's not the strongest pick for KOTH maps but if your team never bothers to hunt for the teleporter it can be the most frustrating thing in the world.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
A single torb is fine. When you're dealing with 2 or 3 torbs on a team though? Maybe they could stand to give a little diminishing return on each additional turret. It can get pretty out of hand.

On the other hand though I don't think the devs should listen to anything I have to say since they've somehow managed to make a mostly balanced game.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
What modes/maps does d.va really shine in? I've been playing her a lot more in an attempt to get better at her and I'm finally at a pretty confident point where I can usually go the game without fully dying, but I just can't tell what she's best at. KoTH seems great for her because mech explosions are great for clearing points, and point defense seems to be her big thing if I'm right?

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

Slime posted:

I have not had a problem with torb turrets at all and I am amazed people do. A second delay before firing would make them even weaker to corner peeking to the point they may as well not exist.

Maybe people just don't realize they're also getting shot by the little dwarf guy, who actually does very decent damage.

Torb is a lot more interesting to play than the engineer in TF2 ever was and he seems well balanced, it's just that defensive oriented heroes will always cause issues for completely uncoordinated teams

Primetime
Jul 3, 2009

Broken Cog posted:

Even to make it auto target from the front but have a slight rotation time would be nice. It just feels goofy when you get the drop on someone, say with a good reaper teleport or by sneaking around as genji, and you have a turret turn around instantly and lock you into a corner

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

How do you play Symmetra? I got her legendary skin that looks like a cool Hindu Goddess

Hide turrets in rooms or other places which can't be seen until you are in range of them. I prefer groups of two because it's easier to replace them. Spam her M2 in the direction the enemy comes from and at a shielding Reinhardt. Her M1 is super-good at close range and can kill quickly. If you lose the first point switch classes.

In KotH, if your team pushes the enemy off the point she is great there. If your team loses the first push switch immediately.

Sanctum posted:

And even though d.va is like impossible to kill,

I've spotted the flaw in your theory crafting.

Kashuno posted:

What modes/maps does d.va really shine in?

None.

quote:

I've been playing her a lot more in an attempt to get better at her and I'm finally at a pretty confident point where I can usually go the game without fully dying, but I just can't tell what she's best at.

Nothing.

Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything
It's funny how at higher level play widow maker is seemingly not an issue for people to counter pick.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Friends just talked me into buying/playing this with them last night and I have to say...holy poo poo is Mei an absolutely adorable BEAST when you get used to her. In addition to just freezing people in place her ability to contest points by becoming immortal for 2 seconds, and tossing walls everywhere to screw with the enemy. Oh did Reinhard and his pet Mercy want to push through that entrance? WALL! Oh does the Reaper want to escape for health? WALL!

Managed to get an 11 kill streak last night, which I find hilarious considering I'm running around as a dorky girl with a snow-gun.

I'm also apparently halfway decent with Winston (that leap is amazing)...so it's probably just me being good at W+M1 characters? :v:

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?
Apparently, shotguns in this game are bad beyond very near ranges, not only because of their extreme spread, but because they have a huge damage fall-off per pellet after a few feet. This is in contrast to other bullets, arrows, and thrown objects which do not do hurt less after any distance. Very video game logic. I started doing much better with shotgun folks (D.Va included) after I figured this out.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Mei is scary. When you're frozen solid, and you see that smile below those cold, soulless eyes, you know the true meaning of fear. She is not to be trifled with.

Samara
Jan 6, 2011

quote:

Deposited $150 at Mt Gox to try this Bitcoin thing out.

Stolen 6 days later. Really enjoyed my time there.

Helpful? Please donate - being this retarded ain't cheap!

Samara Investments
Basement Suite #101
Mom's House, Hometown FL
USAAA+
So I played against a bunch "gimmick" comps this weekend that both amused me and frustrated me.

Route 66 all Torb on offense (We were defense) Crushed them, they barely turned the first corner but it was fun as heck to play against.

Temple of Anubis all Pharah (we were defense). They crushed us with nonstop artillery. It must've been a pre made because they would 5 man Ult all at once and just wipe us out.

Ilios all Soldier 76 (my team was mixed as usual). We lost 100-0 on both maps. Literally could not stop them no matter what we did. Their speed and mobility was breathtaking.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

FAUXTON posted:

I'm realizing that hitting a sniper with Kenyatta's discord orb is usually enough to make them head for cover asap. It's the best thing ever because you can just duck out, hit E, and pop back behind cover. If you're using voice comms you can then be like "sniper up there, I got an orb on them" and if your team is quick enough with a winston or a dva they'll peep that orb indicator and head up there to ruin the sniper's day. Sure the orb only lasts for a few seconds once LOS is broken but the typical sniper doesn't do much other than duck back in a doorway or behind a corner along the same walkway so lighting them up once is enough to know where they are for a pretty long time.

As someone who only plays Widowmaker to ruthlessly stunt on Zenyattas, I 100% approve of this "attempt to counter a sniper with Zenyatta" strategy.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I actually really like the tip about switching out Symmetra if you lose the first point. Makes her use very very clear to me. I switch heroes really frequently anyway and seem to be the only one on my team who does, until I get into a game where the entire team decides to switch every death and I have no idea what to go and we die.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

maybe at least nerf damage fallout because holy poo poo the range on turrets and the instadeath from that range is frustrating. I should be able to safely rocket them with Pharah and not get gibbed from a mile off.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

I actually really like the tip about switching out Symmetra if you lose the first point. Makes her use very very clear to me. I switch heroes really frequently anyway and seem to be the only one on my team who does, until I get into a game where the entire team decides to switch every death and I have no idea what to go and we die.

You will never get the 20 teleports achievement that way!

You'll probably never get it anyway though, because that's 3 and a half full teleporters, and the game is stompy enough that getting and keeping that many teleporters up will usually mean the round is over before you even get close.

MUSCULAR BEAVER
Dec 26, 2014

HENDO! HENDO!

exquisite tea posted:

She's not the strongest pick for KOTH maps but if your team never bothers to hunt for the teleporter it can be the most frustrating thing in the world.

Don't make me post my symmetra KOTH vid again

https://youtu.be/yoWN1fGcD2k

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

PantsBandit posted:

Mei is scary. When you're frozen solid, and you see that smile below those cold, soulless eyes, you know the true meaning of fear. She is not to be trifled with.

The first game I played was just a random pubbie game where I cleaned up without even knowing her snow-blower had an icicle railgun bolt alt-fire because sudden walls and immortality ice are just that strong. After that my friends told me how to really play her, and she just clicked. I should be shoving icicles into skulls! I've had a couple of long-range snipes as well since that icicle doesn't have any damage dropoff.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

MinibarMatchman posted:

maybe at least nerf damage fallout because holy poo poo the range on turrets and the instadeath from that range is frustrating. I should be able to safely rocket them with Pharah and not get gibbed from a mile off.

Level 1 and 2 turrets are the weakest guns in the game.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

Primetime posted:

Even to make it auto target from the front but have a slight rotation time would be nice. It just feels goofy when you get the drop on someone, say with a good reaper teleport or by sneaking around as genji, and you have a turret turn around instantly and lock you into a corner

Turrets, especially multiple ones, just eat flankers. Which makes it annoying because depending on where they're positioned (e.g. out of junkrat range) your only option is to try and snipe them from behind Rhein's shield.

I work they had different interactions with ult's, because they'll instantly take down a tire but the dragon arrows do nothing to them.

The real solution is to put in a KotH playlist so I never have to play attack/defend again.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
is there a competitive overwatch scene yet?

kaleedity
Feb 27, 2016

MinibarMatchman posted:

a pharah shooting a turret is impossible to hold as torb outside of his ult, and his ult doesn't stop pharah's if she gets an ounce of support

mercy heals 90% of t2 turret damage, and a yellow beaming mercy can keep you going against a t2 turret for more than 30s if you don't use cover to heal back to full. If you don't have support, it takes more than three and a half seconds for a turret to kill you. Using cover, you should always be able to rocket down a turret if folks aren't pushing your poo poo in. If he's repairing, your indirect fire will kill torb before you have to reload unless he has enough scrap to feed himself armor.

tho torb can twoshot you across the map with his leftclick even if you're getting healed by mercy

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
It seems to me like it would be really easy for them to determine a balance problem with a testing server that ran pure deathmatch free-for-all using only the DPS characters (obviously Mercy or Reinhardt aren't going to win a FFA), rotating the characters among players to allow for differences in player skill. If you run a *shitload* of those and the data comes out that, say, McCree or Widowmaker wins 60% of them, you could say they might have a problem, because that means that they don't have sufficient counters, or are too good at everything.

Imagined fucked around with this message at 15:16 on May 31, 2016

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Am I the only one who wants them to polish up the art direction and characterisation a bit more? I really think this game has the potential to be really iconic like tf2 used to be but it falls just a little short. Take reaper for example, he has a neat backstory and cool weapons and animations, but they made him a generic grim reaper who screams DIE DIE DIE. Id get really into it if they fleshed it all out. Makes me appreciate the effort the tf2 team put in a whole lot more.

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 15:13 on May 31, 2016

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They're not so bad, but I could do without turrets tracking through walls.

But it's mostly because I like to play Pharah and she dies fast.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
Mei: Still Better than D.VA for pub stomps.
"Try countering D.Va as ANY-CLASS, ANY-CLASS, or ANY-CLASS."

Do we know when a balance patch is coming? It's boring playing as/against Jesse "Flashbang" Mcree.
That and the 10 seconds it takes to kill a D.Va before you go back to whatever you were doing before.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Lady Naga posted:

Level 1 and 2 turrets are the weakest guns in the game.

How many other guns have perfect targeting at a 40 meter range.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

Am I the only one who wants them to polish up the art direction and characterisation a bit more? I really think this game has the potential to be really iconic like tf2 used to be but it falls just a little short. Take reaper for example, he has a neat backstory and cool weapons and animations, but they made him a generic grim reaper who screams DIE DIE DIE. Id get really into it if they fleshed it all out. Makes me appreciate the effort the tf2 team put in a whole lot more.

Yeah, the characters are all completely one-dimensional, flat and boring in-game. No interesting interactions and no interesting or witty lines. It's a shame, really, as they put a ton of effort into the sound and art.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

That's when you pick Reinhardt, stand on the objective and turn your shield on. Teammates will be drawn to your big manly shield like moths and you'll win
Yeah, I was on Reinhardt at the time, and they sure weren't. Which brings up article B, which is how people don't seem to recognize that this big shield is important to stand behind so you can fire through it and hit the evil red guys. So many fights where I handily blocked a sniper or turret and people would run through the shield and get instantly murdered... :suicide:

There needs to be one of those loading screen :siren:PROTIPS:siren: along the lines of "you can shoot through a friendly Reinhardt's shield!" or something.

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

I dunno, the art direction is fine, it's mostly the writing that's iffy. Since there... isn't a lot of it, and all of it's in secondary materials with jack squat in game. Not that I'm expecting a story mode for a team FPS or something, but it's really obvious how roughly the old Titan stuff was hammered into shape here. It's kind of hilarious to see that the game is fully released and pretty well balanced but the story is still in mid-writing beta.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

MUSCULAR BEAVER posted:

Don't make me post my symmetra KOTH vid again

https://youtu.be/yoWN1fGcD2k

I am glad you posted it again as I missed it the first time.

Mostly played Symmetra last night had a blast on defence, but usually swapped for attack. I guess she doesn't really work on payload attack though? (Although I did discover if you line the inside of the spawn door with zappers they do work when the doors open if anyone is dumb enough to be standing right there).

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 15:21 on May 31, 2016

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Has Blizzard mentioned adding more game types in the future aside from escort, capture, and king of the hill?

Capture the flag could be interesting, though it might not be the best competitive game mode given the vast differences in character mobility.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Kashuno posted:

is there a competitive overwatch scene yet?

My friend there's been a competitive overwatch scene since closed beta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Harrow posted:

Capture the flag could be interesting, though it might not be the best competitive game mode given the vast differences in character mobility.
Yeah that wouldn't really work, it'd basically boil down to "which tracer grabs it first".