Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Control Volume posted:

About a year ago I was like, "I'm going to buy street fighter 5 and become Proficient at fighting games" but then it came out and I didnt buy it at all, how good of a decision did I make?

Do you not want to be able to say you were in on the ground floor of what is certainly the last Street Fighter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

You can argue about SF5 being good or not but NOBODY liked SF4 when it was the main game being played

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
I doubt the cfn functionally is G8ing to be improved upon soon. Right now I'm playing ranked until I get someone at least 9k LP and then inviting them to a lobby. I can.t do anything else because of the zero ability to communicate with anyone. Sometimes they join and sometimes they don't.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

You can argue about SF5 being good or not but NOBODY liked SF4 when it was the main game being played

Besides being wrong what does this have to do with anything.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

Besides being wrong what does this have to do with anything.

People are unironically saying they liked SF4 better but I swear half the time I played SF4 the entire playerbase hated it and played it because it was popular

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I like SF4 whether it was or wasn't the main game being played

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

People are unironically saying they liked SF4 better but I swear half the time I played SF4 the entire playerbase hated it and played it because it was popular

It can always get worse.

I had issues with SF4 and SFV got rid of a lot of terrible things about that game...except it also got rid of everything interesting ever so. I'd rate 4 a bit above V. If you're wondering about the popular opinion, let me remind you that SF4 was six years old when people were hating on Elena and E.Ryu and SFV still has the new game shine on it, being about three months old.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

As I've been watching more CPT it's interesting to see the patterns the matches are fitting into. Everybody is just hitting buttons all the time because nothing does any damage and reaction based play is so tough that no one is even bothering to play at a reduced speed. I wish damage was like 3 times higher so people had to actually worry about eating a punish and I think that alone would make me like the game a whole lot more. Increasing the speed of matches like that would make the loading even more annoying though

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

seriously infiltration saying that he straight up cannot recognize players in footage he watches by playstyle without labeled names more or less tells you all you need to know about how much player expression and variety there is in sf5 atm

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Anything gets stale after six years. I'm with Diaz in that there are things in SF4 that were dumb and got repetitive but overall I currently enjoy 6 years old SF4 more than 3 months old SFV.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
IIRC the first year of the SF4 thread was people complaining that the game was too defensive and being annoyed at ultra combos.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Yeah I'm talking about from Day 1. Vanilla Sagat lol

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Oh, sure, but that happens with any new iteration of a popular franchise. Unless you're implying that SF4 at release had a more negative reception than SFV, which I dunno, I'd assume it was the same but since SFV is SF4, Nothing Edition, it's probably an easier transition now.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Since SFIV was Capcom's pitch to reinvigorate the FG scene it made more sense that the game they made was clean, slow and easy to follow. I think the hope was that SFV would be them letting loose and making an exciting new game again but it didn't really pan out that way.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Also if you're still puzzled by the whole 8f lag thing, Core-A did an 8min video on the 8f issue (heh):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ap369ES-6Xw

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

Man this thread is a trash fire. I've been playing a ton of Overwatch, a game with actual effort and love put into it, and it's so much more rewarding than SFV. I've bought MKX, GGXrd and SFV and Skullgirls on PC and the only one I don't regret is SG even though I never play it. I don't like SG's art style or gameplay, but at least the devs put some real effort into their game to make it as good as possible. I like the core game of SFV but the 3 month+ botched launch with no communication from the devs pisses me right off. I think I'm just done with fighting games for now, if I want my 1v1 kicks I'll just play tennis or chess or something. I really want to like these games but the devs are making it really hard for me.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
The hecks wrong with Xrd.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
I really hate how much jumping is in this game compared to SF4

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Dracula Factory posted:

Man this thread is a trash fire. I've been playing a ton of Overwatch, a game with actual effort and love put into it, and it's so much more rewarding than SFV. I've bought MKX, GGXrd and SFV and Skullgirls on PC and the only one I don't regret is SG even though I never play it. I don't like SG's art style or gameplay, but at least the devs put some real effort into their game to make it as good as possible. I like the core game of SFV but the 3 month+ botched launch with no communication from the devs pisses me right off. I think I'm just done with fighting games for now, if I want my 1v1 kicks I'll just play tennis or chess or something. I really want to like these games but the devs are making it really hard for me.

Xrd is good tho, even the netcode is okay.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

The hecks wrong with Xrd.

Dracula Factory posted:

Yeah im not gonna make any excuses for laura and cammy, etc. its pretty much the same problem, maybe im just more forgiving because they are "classic". What I'm really saying is most off the GG characters that arent potemkin or millia look stupid as hell in a VERY japanese way, and I don't feel the same way about street fighter. Also there's like 100 people in the US that play Xrd and I don't want to put time and effort to join a small and shrinking niche video game community. Maybe I should just pick up tennis, because I love 1v1 games but fighting games are riddled with all sorts of stupid video game crap that I don't care for.

croutonZA
Jan 5, 2011
I can see Xrd not being everyone's cup of tea but I can't believe anyone would look at it and think no effort went into making that.

Also, lol no May update. GG Capcom.

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

Dracula Factory posted:

he's a weirdo with hangups about social perception of his hobbies

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Nodoze posted:

I really hate how much jumping is in this game compared to SF4
This is odd considering how most characters can stuff anything air with lp or lk.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Bisse posted:

This is odd considering how most characters can stuff anything air with lp or lk.

Little reward, doesn't really stop crossups, and the reward for hitting a jump-in is massive.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

croutonZA posted:

Also, lol no May update. GG Capcom.

They deserve a month off after all the hard work they've put in.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

surprised i havent seem anyone threatening to make a class action lawsuit yet

Gold Dust Gasoline
Jul 11, 2006

just be yourself and you'll be fine
Pillbug
I had a rough time with MKX on PC, SFV seems incredible relatively.

Fighting games?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Gold Dust Gasoline posted:

I had a rough time with MKX on PC, SFV seems incredible relatively.

Fighting games?

MKX PC is pretty garbage (also abandoned now), and it also isn't as intuitive of a fighting game as SFV.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Dias posted:

Little reward, doesn't really stop crossups, and the reward for hitting a jump-in is massive.
Aah yes and also 8ffff. Makes sense

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
i know a guy who hid his legos from his girlfriend and then he had like a big coming out for her like 2 years where he finally revealed that he owned legos and im thinking dracula factory might be the same person

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

dangerdoom volvo posted:

i know a guy who hid his legos from his girlfriend and then he had like a big coming out for her like 2 years where he finally revealed that he owned legos and im thinking dracula factory might be the same person

What kind of legos

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

surprised i havent seem anyone threatening to make a class action lawsuit yet

I mean I remember being in gamefaqs when cross Tekken came out and people there reporting Capcom to the BBB because of on disc DLC so it's hardly unprecedented

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

Jeez you guys really can't handle the fact that Xrd isn't my cup of tea (also I had friends that liked GGX2 and didn't like Xrd so that's part of it.) This may shock some of you, but I like playing games with my friends over random internet people. I think Xrd is a fine game on a technical level, but it's just too much to memorize and I don't like most of the character designs, and apparently that's a crime in the SFV thread.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Dias posted:

Also doesn't stop people from up backing away from you or jumping forward out of the corner because the game doesn't always allow you to meaty people

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

My japanese fighting game is too japanese. Please send help

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Dracula Factory posted:

Jeez you guys really can't handle the fact that Xrd isn't my cup of tea (also I had friends that liked GGX2 and didn't like Xrd so that's part of it.) This may shock some of you, but I like playing games with my friends over random internet people. I think Xrd is a fine game on a technical level, but it's just too much to memorize and I don't like most of the character designs, and apparently that's a crime in the SFV thread.

I'm totally on the same page.
Xrd definitely subscribes to patchwork game design school (you lose meter if you walk backwards too much? What is that horseshit?) and it's got way too many over-complicated systems.
Also none of Xrd's characters really spoke to me. There's no Q, Vega, Balrog, Cody, Big Band or Nero in there. Everyone is way too anime for my liking.

Try Melty Blood. It's got some confusing mechanics but it's not too bad. Also it has a guy who's hiding a zoo inside his trenchcoat.

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 17:20 on May 31, 2016

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

In Training posted:

What kind of legos

Assorted

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Jack Trades posted:

I'm totally on the same page.
Xrd definitely subscribes to patchwork game design school (you lose meter if you walk backwards too much? What is that horseshit?) and it's got way too many over-complicated systems.
Also none of Xrd's characters really spoke to me. There's no Q, Vega, Balrog, Cody, Big Band or Nero in there. Everyone is way too anime for my liking.

Try Melty Blood. It's got some confusing mechanics but it's not too bad. Also it has a guy who's hiding a zoo inside his trenchcoat.

Negative penalty is very difficult to suffer in a real match

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Xrd is too anime for me, so I play Melty Blood: Actress Again Current Code the Japanese doujin fighter based on a visual novel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

In Training posted:

Xrd is too anime for me, so I play Melty Blood: Actress Again Current Code the Japanese doujin fighter based on a visual novel.

We've had this conversation before but MB designs are more sedate than GG, although still anime as gently caress.