Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
You can also generally sell your MODO cards back for a significantly higher percentage of what you paid for them than you get with paper buylisting, and then sell your tix for cash pretty easily. You'll eat fees and exchange rates when you cash out, but you can get back enough of what you put in that it's not as cut and dry as "you'd never pay that for a video game."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Johnny Landmine posted:

You can also generally sell your MODO cards back for a significantly higher percentage of what you paid for them than you get with paper buylisting, and then sell your tix for cash pretty easily. You'll eat fees and exchange rates when you cash out, but you can get back enough of what you put in that it's not as cut and dry as "you'd never pay that for a video game."

That is also a GIANT pain in the rear end to do.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Nothing is going to happen to MTGO as long as people continue to spend money on it. As in, it's not gonna get better.

Wizards is a company that makes money in spite of their best efforts to fail. I can't think of any other entity that's has managed to do so for so long.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

mcmagic posted:

Not really? I mean it can be if you put the time in to stretch for the most value you can possibly get, but even then compared to the equivalent process in paper it's relatively nothing.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
20 or 30 bucks a month good god lol

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

MiddleEastBeast posted:

20 or 30 bucks a month good god lol

I would pay 30 bucks a month to access every standard card online.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I like the digital card trader games that Topps puts out since you get free packs every day and it's like playing the pack lottery for free. And people still buy them on ebay, so they do have value~

Snacksmaniac posted:

Nothing is going to happen to MTGO as long as people continue to spend money on it. As in, it's not gonna get better.

Wizards is a company that makes money in spite of their best efforts to fail. I can't think of any other entity that's has managed to do so for so long.

Games Workshop. Even now, their licensing from video games will cover for their abysmal AOS debacle.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

mcmagic posted:

Knowing Wizards, 30 a month for one-ofs, 120 for 4x.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

GoutPatrol posted:

Knowing Wizards, 30 a month for one-ofs, 120 for 4x.

And all prize payouts are now in avatars or mirrodin tokens

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

mcmagic posted:

considering a single standard deck plus entry fees to one standard event every week for three months of a standard deck life would easily run you over 30 bucks a month if you took 30 seconds to examine, yeah sure sign me and everyone else up on this idea that will never leave your head.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

mcmagic posted:

You should be able to subscribe to "Standard" for 20 or 30 bucks a month and have access to the card pool.

You should be able to subscribe to the lottery for $20-$30 a month and get full access to $800 every month

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Chill la Chill posted:

Games Workshop. Even now, their licensing from video games will cover for their abysmal AOS debacle.

I thought of them too but Magic sales were just insane for a period from Scars - Theros.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I'm sure I've said it before, but it's pretty sad when an online game would improve significantly if it adopted some ideas from the Free to Play model.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012
Their investor report had some big words about changes on the digital side I'm super interested to see what bizarre decisions they make

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Allstone posted:

Their investor report had some big words about changes on the digital side I'm super interested to see what bizarre decisions they make

Yeah they talked about Magic Digital Next or whatever but that was 7 months ago and we haven't heard shitall, despite a new CTO. I'd be shocked if they revamp the mtgo business model, but a new/better client might not be out of reach.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Snacksmaniac posted:

I thought of them too but Magic sales were just insane for a period from Scars - Theros.

GW had a shorter surge in sales during the End Times. They may have enjoyed a similar prolonged increase in sales if they hadn't transitioned to AOS in the planned period but elongated the End Times period after looking at data. But this is the company that doesn't have a marketing department.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Sickening posted:

Gitaxian Probe
Might of Old Krosa
Dryad Arbor
Inquisition of Kozilek
Dismember

The list goes on and on. Of course I get that they like to promote standard so some standard cards need to be in there, but so far the choices have been awful.

Probe was already an FNM promo back when it was in Standard, wasn't it?

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

mcmagic posted:

Nah, it's easy as hell. You can spend some time making sure you're getting max tix from the bots, but you don't lose too much by finding a decent one and just selling everything to them. Cardhoarder pays 95c / ticket right now, and they can direct deposit your cash without fees, which I just did recently and it was a super smooth transaction.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
You just got a find a reliable botchain that keeps credit between all its bots.

I've found goatbots to be pretty good, they have reasonable buy prices for most stuff and they have a zillion bots that are always available to trade.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
i am writing this letter also after coming to a realisation. when somebody told me that i haven't come home happy on a friday in a while even after winning. (1 Year)

Now my situation is this, we are 4 players at our LGS that are Judges/Organizers
I have long dreamed about being both, consider i have played this game since i was 12 year old and i am now 24.
Now i will not mention their real names so lets call them Sorin,Tibalt, and Venser for now.

Now bear in mind that i have tried to become an organizer for our store before the three others even started playing magic in my town. there are 4 weeks and the schedule for holding FNM looks like this
--------------------------------------
Week 1 - Venser
Week 2 - Sorin
Week 3 - Tibalt
Week 4 - Venser

Call Liliana (This is me) if stand in is needed
---------------------------------------
Now, we are 4 people, and he wants two weeks, so i am left being the "Stand-in" i ask them whats the reason behind this, they just look at me like i am stupid, and they say i don't know we are to many as it is. i remind him that i tried to become an organizer before the other two and even have held more tournaments then Sorin has.

after they just deny that i will get a week i tell Venser ill quit judging and organizing and i want a break from magic as this is kinda breaking my spirit. Venser calls me up the next day telling me not to quit he just wants me to make beginners more comfortable around me. as they apparently felt intimated by my play style (i have heard around with this. this is untrue. i let people correct their mistakes and so on) i tell him okey, why didn't you just tell me so ill improve and after a while you let me have my place. he tells me yes and some time goes. they use me as their stand in 3 times only during 4 months. the other times they just changed their weeks around.

after a while we all travel to a judge conference except Tibalt, he doesn't see the point in becoming a judge. i failed the test a second time. during our travel back from the conference Venser told me i would get his weeks during April and forward as he would need to study, i told him thank you i would appreciate it. now we are in may. and i only have held game day cause i asked for it. i am sick of being ignored and left out i am sick of their behavior

i feel their reasoning for not letting me get a week is that they get their FNM for free, and they also receive gift cards the more people that shows up. now Venser has been hoarding gift cards for Eternal Master while Tibalt and Sorin exchange their weeks what they do with their Gift cards i don't want to know but i think they hoard them too. basically these guys have a job and everything and they just leeching off.

Sorin has a real "i don't care" attitude he even says it out loud, he even brags about his FNM being free. and that it doesn't matter if he loses cause the cards are free. (makes it easy for him to smile when losing?) i never felt he has done anything to make more people showed up beside borrowing somebody a legacy deck once

Tibalt has the habit of winning and even after taking first place he will say out loud that "i got first place for free how neat" we basically had to spread out the prizes cause people where tired of him getting FNM for free plus 6-8 Boosters every Friday.

Venser i really don't have an issue with, except the has the habit of leaving me in the dark. like when he promised me his place but then didn't say anything

Now if me Liliana holds i usually have to pay Smile oh yes, i have held tournaments on Saturdays where i payed from my own pockets. and for FNMS so far i have only received a gift card but it doesn't really matter that much, the point is im sick of this. they getting things for free, while having great cards and jobs, and i am stuck being denied becoming something i dreamed about since i was a kid. and without a job. i have used money i don't have a lot of times just so i could support our community, i have given my prizes that i have won to new players, i made new players show up. i have tried including people by reaching out and actually talk to them.

Now what tipped the glass? there is a new stand in. there is a 5th person now and they are juggling between us.

and i am writing cause i wonder is this normal between organizers and judges? to be caught like this by ignorance? am i wrong? am i the one who's at fault or is this actually unjust cause i kinda feel really ignored and left in the dark and it has made magic really sad for me. and the conclusion that i have reached is that.....

I give up...

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I solve the cashing out of modo problem by not having any cash in modo.

I just buy some tix to draft, and roll over the packs I win and selling rares to bots to keep drafting for as long as I can until I have to buy tix again.

I think the only way I'd ever buy into constructed on modo would be if I had to move somewhere where there was no paper magic scene at all.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

mcmagic posted:

I'm not sure what exactly it is you think is a GIANT pain in the rear end to do, but if you're talking about cashing out tickets into cash, you are ridiculously misinformed.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

kizudarake posted:

mtgsalvation.txt

quote:

i failed the test a second time.
lol isn't the L1 test supposed to be pretty drat easy?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Skyl3lazer posted:

Yeah they talked about Magic Digital Next or whatever but that was 7 months ago and we haven't heard shitall, despite a new CTO. I'd be shocked if they revamp the mtgo business model, but a new/better client might not be out of reach.

I assumed Next was a very long term prospect. Building software from the ground up incorporating all of the intricacies of magic is going to take a while. Especially if they're going to make it presentable this time.

There'd be no reason to share anything with us if they only started working on it a year or so ago (don't know how long in actuality).

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

kizudarake posted:

i am writing this letter also after coming to a realisation. when somebody told me that i haven't come home happy on a friday in a while even after winning. (1 Year)

Now my situation is this, we are 4 players at our LGS that are Judges/Organizers
I have long dreamed about being both, consider i have played this game since i was 12 year old and i am now 24.
Now i will not mention their real names so lets call them Sorin,Tibalt, and Venser for now.

Now bear in mind that i have tried to become an organizer for our store before the three others even started playing magic in my town. there are 4 weeks and the schedule for holding FNM looks like this
--------------------------------------
Week 1 - Venser
Week 2 - Sorin
Week 3 - Tibalt
Week 4 - Venser

Call Liliana (This is me) if stand in is needed
---------------------------------------
Now, we are 4 people, and he wants two weeks, so i am left being the "Stand-in" i ask them whats the reason behind this, they just look at me like i am stupid, and they say i don't know we are to many as it is. i remind him that i tried to become an organizer before the other two and even have held more tournaments then Sorin has.

after they just deny that i will get a week i tell Venser ill quit judging and organizing and i want a break from magic as this is kinda breaking my spirit. Venser calls me up the next day telling me not to quit he just wants me to make beginners more comfortable around me. as they apparently felt intimated by my play style (i have heard around with this. this is untrue. i let people correct their mistakes and so on) i tell him okey, why didn't you just tell me so ill improve and after a while you let me have my place. he tells me yes and some time goes. they use me as their stand in 3 times only during 4 months. the other times they just changed their weeks around.

after a while we all travel to a judge conference except Tibalt, he doesn't see the point in becoming a judge. i failed the test a second time. during our travel back from the conference Venser told me i would get his weeks during April and forward as he would need to study, i told him thank you i would appreciate it. now we are in may. and i only have held game day cause i asked for it. i am sick of being ignored and left out i am sick of their behavior

i feel their reasoning for not letting me get a week is that they get their FNM for free, and they also receive gift cards the more people that shows up. now Venser has been hoarding gift cards for Eternal Master while Tibalt and Sorin exchange their weeks what they do with their Gift cards i don't want to know but i think they hoard them too. basically these guys have a job and everything and they just leeching off.

Sorin has a real "i don't care" attitude he even says it out loud, he even brags about his FNM being free. and that it doesn't matter if he loses cause the cards are free. (makes it easy for him to smile when losing?) i never felt he has done anything to make more people showed up beside borrowing somebody a legacy deck once

Tibalt has the habit of winning and even after taking first place he will say out loud that "i got first place for free how neat" we basically had to spread out the prizes cause people where tired of him getting FNM for free plus 6-8 Boosters every Friday.

Venser i really don't have an issue with, except the has the habit of leaving me in the dark. like when he promised me his place but then didn't say anything

Now if me Liliana holds i usually have to pay Smile oh yes, i have held tournaments on Saturdays where i payed from my own pockets. and for FNMS so far i have only received a gift card but it doesn't really matter that much, the point is im sick of this. they getting things for free, while having great cards and jobs, and i am stuck being denied becoming something i dreamed about since i was a kid. and without a job. i have used money i don't have a lot of times just so i could support our community, i have given my prizes that i have won to new players, i made new players show up. i have tried including people by reaching out and actually talk to them.

Now what tipped the glass? there is a new stand in. there is a 5th person now and they are juggling between us.

and i am writing cause i wonder is this normal between organizers and judges? to be caught like this by ignorance? am i wrong? am i the one who's at fault or is this actually unjust cause i kinda feel really ignored and left in the dark and it has made magic really sad for me. and the conclusion that i have reached is that.....

I give up...

These Uncharted Realms articles are starting to go over my head big time.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Entropic posted:

I solve the cashing out of modo problem by not having any cash in modo.

I just buy some tix to draft, and roll over the packs I win and selling rares to bots to keep drafting for as long as I can until I have to buy tix again.

I think the only way I'd ever buy into constructed on modo would be if I had to move somewhere where there was no paper magic scene at all.
This is how I play limited online too. I suspect there are a bunch of us who do this who provide a pretty good income for WotC.

And there's no paper magic scene here, but I still can't bring msyelf to buy in to constructed online.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Angry Grimace posted:

I'm not sure what exactly it is you think is a GIANT pain in the rear end to do, but if you're talking about cashing out tickets into cash, you are ridiculously misinformed.

I'm talking about the whole process of turning cards into cash without getting killed by the buylist prices...

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

C-Euro posted:

These Uncharted Realms articles are starting to go over my head big time.

Ok. I audibly chuckled at this.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Entropic posted:

lol isn't the L1 test supposed to be pretty drat easy?

Depends, but the rules advisor test is generally considered much harder. That said, it still sounds like that person is in a lovely situation :[

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

mcmagic posted:

I'm talking about the whole process of turning cards into cash without getting killed by the buylist prices...

If looking up a few bots on mtgowikiprice is really that much work for you, then you are probably correct that MtGO is not the right thing for you, if you care about cashing out eventually. The absolute worst non-promo cards on there have like a 10% spread between the buy and sell prices.

I mean, of all the things to complain about regarding MtGO, this is the one thing that is actually vastly superior to paper.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

ShadeofBlue posted:

If looking up a few bots on mtgowikiprice is really that much work for you, then you are probably correct that MtGO is not the right thing for you, if you care about cashing out eventually. The absolute worst non-promo cards on there have like a 10% spread between the buy and sell prices.

I mean, of all the things to complain about regarding MtGO, this is the one thing that is actually vastly superior to paper.

This isn't the reason I don't play MTGO. I have a pretty big paper collection and I can't justify paying for the same card twice to myself.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

mcmagic posted:

This isn't the reason I don't play MTGO. I have a pretty big paper collection and I can't justify paying for the same card twice to myself.

Not that it properly shuffles for you?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Pontius Pilate posted:

Heh.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

mcmagic posted:

Yes, but it is what you are complaining about right now.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

Pontius Pilate posted:

You guys are so mean to poor mcmagic

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
i think it would be alright to basically rent all the standard legal cards for their duration in standard, doesn't seem crazy to me

people will still buy packs for draft, the only people who really get burned is the secondary market and that gets a resounding eh from me

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

I love WotC's cognitive dissonance -

1) MtgO Product should be treated on the same level as paper product, and in-print product should be redeemable to paper because it isn't all digital!
2) MtgO Product shouldn't be treated on the same level as paper product, we can re-print online cards that we can't in paper because it's all digital!

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

mcmagic posted:

Mega same. Especially for non-standard formats. That and not using windows or a desktop at home anymore.

To answer that other guy's question about sustainable mtgo, my buddies who are infinite do it through the premium tournaments. MOCS qualifiers, pptqs, limited championships, legacy challenge, etc. Once you have a large surplus of event points, you do sealed league or higher competition sealed events plus incidental drafts and either sell the cards for tix or trade them for sets and redeem them and sell the physical cards.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
Any Louisville area goons out there? If you are, suggest to me a good place to play an FNM, I'm gonna be passing through on a road trip and would love to play wizard poker with some strangers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Rinkles posted:

Building software from the ground up [...] make it presentable this time.

That seems like a pretty good idea tbh.

What makes you think that it's what Wizards is doing?

• Locked thread