Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darko
Dec 23, 2004

She's really just trying to talk herself into being prominent in film and the added money/success/trajectory that comes with that. If I was mostly stuck in television, I'd probably try and do the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Darko posted:

She's really just trying to talk herself into being prominent in film and the added money/success/trajectory that comes with that. If I was mostly stuck in television, I'd probably try and do the same.
Willa Holland ain't gonna be no movie star. She should be glad she's at least getting a steady paycheck.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

AoS borrows some actors and reacts to the stuff that goes on in the MCU. The MCU doesn't really react with the show in any meaningful way.

The actress is complaining that the DC TV shows are explicitly barred from using characters or mentioning events from the DC movies. Plus the shows are actively being hamstrung by being forced to kill off or disappear characters who are going to be in the movies.

She's not saying that AoS has a huge impact on the movies, she's saying that the show is allowed to take stuff from the MCU and it doesn't hurt the MCU. So, she wants DC to allow them to do the same instead of making them kill off characters or forbidding them from mentioning Superman or Batman.

Edit: I still can't believe they had a show called "SuperGirl" about Superman's cousin and they had to just keep saying "my cousin" or show a glimpse of a boot, because they weren't allowed to mention Superman or show the full costume or actor.

Also, Superman only communicates via text message. lol

Did the show have a fight scene consisting entirely of reactions from everyone else narrating the whole thing?

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Darko posted:

Yeah, it's basically this. Even being charitable, Arrow's best days are behind it and while you might get a built-in audience by tying the TV shows and movies together, those TV viewers are likely gonna see the movies anyway. And tying them together when shows like Arrow and Flash have minimum 2 seasons already risks alienating a ton of general audiences who probably don't want to watch dozens of hours of CW television just to have a good grasp on a 2-hour movie. And from a creative standpoint, tying the universes together immediately dictates the sort of tone and kind of stories you can and can't tell in the movies. It would be cool if they eventually want to end this DCCU run of movies in a big Crisis-type clusterfuck with the movie and TV characters representing different Earth versions, but honestly I'm totally fine with them remaining separate entities. Like it or not, the DCCU is consciously going for a different tone than the CW shows so I understand WB wanting to keep them separated.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I feel like Civil War is a self-deleting movie for some reason
it's tampering with my memory
It's the first movie where I've repeatedly gotten the "Hey, I should see Civil War maybe ha-ha. Wait I did..."
brain tumor or design feature?

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
I don't think she's trying to argue herself into anything. I think she knows that if they called up Arrow and The Flash then they'd leave the other characters by the wayside, and she specifically mentions Amell and Gustin, both of whom are pretty good at what they do. Gustin in particular is a charming presence and I hope that whenever they're done on that show he goes on to something better. Melissa Benoist too is a better Superman than Cavill is, and I like Cavill.

I do think the hampering of DC with the TV stuff is ridiculous though. They basically had to kill off their Suicide Squad, and a brief appearance of Harley Quinn was ordered to be cut altogether. Marvel don't have it right either, but that's because of their weird divide in bosses between the film and tv divisions getting really petty about that poo poo. DC could've taken some initiative, and if you're going to say that the TV world doesn't matter, then let the TV world do whatever they want.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

TheFallenEvincar posted:

I feel like Civil War is a self-deleting movie for some reason
it's tampering with my memory
It's the first movie where I've repeatedly gotten the "Hey, I should see Civil War maybe ha-ha. Wait I did..."
brain tumor or design feature?

Brain tumor.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

PriorMarcus posted:

Brain tumor.
In your medical opinion will it be cured by X-Men Apocalypse or inflamed

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

DrVenkman posted:

I don't think she's trying to argue herself into anything. I think she knows that if they called up Arrow and The Flash then they'd leave the other characters by the wayside, and she specifically mentions Amell and Gustin, both of whom are pretty good at what they do. Gustin in particular is a charming presence and I hope that whenever they're done on that show he goes on to something better. Melissa Benoist too is a better Superman than Cavill is, and I like Cavill.

I do think the hampering of DC with the TV stuff is ridiculous though. They basically had to kill off their Suicide Squad, and a brief appearance of Harley Quinn was ordered to be cut altogether. Marvel don't have it right either, but that's because of their weird divide in bosses between the film and tv divisions getting really petty about that poo poo. DC could've taken some initiative, and if you're going to say that the TV world doesn't matter, then let the TV world do whatever they want.
I'm not really shocked because WB/DC did this to the DCAU cartoons were certain heroes/villains were "embargoed" because they showed up in this new Batman cartoon or there was a potential Aquaman Smallville spinoff

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Keeping the shows and movies separate is good, but the embargo has always been stupid.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Also, Superman only communicates via text message. lol

People in the SG thread defend this as creative storytelling it is exactly as emberassing as it sounds.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

bring back old gbs posted:

People in the SG thread defend this as creative storytelling it is exactly as emberassing as it sounds.

Under the circumstances I don't know what else they could've done. They're not allowed to use Superman in any real way, not even as a voice I don't think, and they can't just not acknowledge it either.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

DrVenkman posted:

they can't just not acknowledge it either.
Only because they are not good writers.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

DrVenkman posted:

and they can't just not acknowledge it either.

Sure they can.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

DrVenkman posted:

Under the circumstances I don't know what else they could've done. They're not allowed to use Superman in any real way, not even as a voice I don't think, and they can't just not acknowledge it either.

If the alternative is:

Clark: good job 2day
Kara: i just tried to do what u would
Clark: ur a good hero I'm glad I crash landed on earth;)
Kara: thx

Then you just don't loving do it. You make up some poo poo about Clark bring superman and being too busy for you. You don't pay a guy to animate some idiotic text message conversation between two alien gods. It's the absolute stupidest way to handle something they never needed to include in the first place. I hope CW is smart enough to nuke that dumb poo poo.

EDIT: Oh yeah and we're not talking about those trendy text convos that appear over action happening. They cut away to full frame IM conversations. It's sooo brutal.

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 19:18 on May 31, 2016

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Dunno if there's a dedicated comic book TV thread but the first episode of Preacher is pretty good, y'all. Nothing like the comics' plot, of course (but I repeat myself hurr hurr).

I only wish amazon hadn't picked it up in my country because their video service interface is the definition of out of touch.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Part of the plot is Kara figured the Earth didn't need another superhero so she lived as a regular person up until now and is still getting the hang of her powers. And there's the whole women having to work harder to get noticed subtext, which, this being a DC show, is not done with any kind of subtlety or finesse but is still a story worth telling.

And Benoist is as good a bit of casting as they're ever gonna have. She just radiates sweetness, and has handled some stretches for her character quite well (including a scene where a shapeshifter was filling in for her at work- long story- and she was visibly walking and talking more like that character.) She really carries the show through its missteps.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I've had the thought before that maybe Supergirl should have decided to use her superhero powers after Superman dies, but I'm not sure if that kind of motivation would have been better or worse than her deciding it was what she should do. For the show I mean.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

bring back old gbs posted:

If the alternative is:

Clark: good job 2day
Kara: i just tried to do what u would
Clark: ur a good hero I'm glad I crash landed on earth;)
Kara: thx

Then you just don't loving do it. You make up some poo poo about Clark bring superman and being too busy for you. You don't pay a guy to animate some idiotic text message conversation between two alien gods. It's the absolute stupidest way to handle something they never needed to include in the first place. I hope CW is smart enough to nuke that dumb poo poo.

The text messages convey Clark's personality pretty well actually. He's not an unknowable alien God, he grew up on Earth too, he knows how to be a decent guy and supportive of his family.

It's silly, yes. But the show's about family and people supporting each other.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I think for the show to work, it needs to take place in a world with Superman. For one thing, it makes more sense to name the younger cousin of Superman Supergirl. If there's no Superman, it would make even less sense to not call her Superwoman.

Having said that, If you want to complain about how they handled Clark in the last two episodes of the season, I would not fight you.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Isn't there an actual Man of Steel-related show for Syfy in production?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Chairman Capone posted:

Isn't there an actual Man of Steel-related show for Syfy in production?

They've ordered a pilot for Krypton which "will follow Superman's grandfather – whose House of El was ostracized and shamed — as he fights to redeem his family's honor and save his beloved world from chaos."

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

They've ordered a pilot for Krypton which "will follow Superman's grandfather – whose House of El was ostracized and shamed — as he fights to redeem his family's honor and save his beloved world from chaos."

I WONDER HOW THAT WILL END

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Cancelation, after mediocre ratings

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I always like that two of DC's superhero TV shows stars former Glee actors. I smell a musical episode coming. It was what the crossover should have been, with Neil Patrick Harris reprising his role as Music Meister.

Speaking of TV, here is Dan Stevens as the title character in FX's Legion.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/dceufacts/status/737672305338253314

https://twitter.com/dceufacts/status/737671402292023296

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
"Mastery of ropes" he can lasso yo rear end!

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
(chaos personified!)

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Wheeee posted:

None of the actors on those lovely DC TV shows are movie protagonist material, even if the shows themselves weren't so tonally different than the movies.

This is nonsense. I'm sure everyone said the same thing about Even Stevens

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Honest Thief posted:

"Mastery of ropes" he can lasso yo rear end!

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/skills.htm#useRope

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Jon Bernthal has to be Fred Ward's illegitimate son right

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

A show that literally nobody asked for. The worst Batman comics were always the ones about some old rear end Wayne family member in the past doing poo poo nobody cares about

Also re: Supergirl, they started using the word "Superman" right after the first episode so it's a dumb complaint to make now that the entire first season is done.

I also think it's silly that you don't think audiences would react well to a movie that could conceivably benefit from watching previous material, since this describes Civil War and is what everyone said would kill the Marvel movies.

Basically none of you have any imagination

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jun 1, 2016

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
The remaining members if the SS
https://twitter.com/dceufacts/status/737794892370321408

Dark_Tzitzimine fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jun 1, 2016

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.
edit: whoops, didn't see the first tweet. Weird the pictures didn't embed.

Crion fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jun 1, 2016

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I feel like Kinnaman's the cast member with the most riding on this movie; he was the weak link in the RoboCop remake and just terrible in The Killing, and I feel like this might be his last opportunity to prove he can carry an action movie or just fade into obscurity like Sam Worthington and so many other flavors of the month.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

A show that literally nobody asked for. The worst Batman comics were always the ones about some old rear end Wayne family member in the past doing poo poo nobody cares about

Also re: Supergirl, they started using the word "Superman" right after the first episode so it's a dumb complaint to make now that the entire first season is done.

I also think it's silly that you don't think audiences would react well to a movie that could conceivably benefit from watching previous material, since this describes Civil War and is what everyone said would kill the Marvel movies.

Basically none of you have any imagination

I think it could be cool. There's a lot of DC space stuff you're not going to see on any other TV show that could show up on Krypton, Nightwing and Flamebird, Kandor, Brainiac.

A lantern could drop by, the Main Man could show up, fourth world could be involved.

Of course I'm someone who really liked Caprica. And you just know the main character's best friend will be Zod's father.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

The MSJ posted:

I always like that two of DC's superhero TV shows stars former Glee actors. I smell a musical episode coming. It was what the crossover should have been, with Neil Patrick Harris reprising his role as Music Meister.

Hair isn't big enough.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

The MCU completely ignores the TV material.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

The MSJ posted:

I was wondering what the hell he's doing back on TV, but if it's FX that's not too bad I guess.

• Locked thread