Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

And those guidelines are for run-of-the-mill Wednesday warrior type books. A comic that's seeing unusual sales patterns of any sort can throw the math off. Some things that have kept low sellers going in the past: doing well in trades, being a perennial seller in trades, having very low monthly attrition, and doing well with the nontraditional audience mix that reads digitally.

For instance, there was a rumor floating around that DC editorial anticipates that Omega Men collections could sell decently for years. Keeping the book running for twelve issues would be an investment in steady future returns. Another example: Peter David's X-Factor rode the cancellation line for a long time, but the audience was rock solid. It had remarkably consistent sales numbers every month, for years, instead of showing the normal monthly decline. Reliable money is good money, so X-Factor stayed alive for a couple of extra years.

Digital sales are a big black box of mysterybucks, but literally everything ever said on the matter tells us that Ms. Marvel sells gangbusters online, despite moving anemic numbers through Diamond.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

:cry:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Run Arsenal, run!

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

That seems like an inopportune time to take a selfie, if I'm being honest.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I mean, to be clear, I have nothing against people who take selfies, I'm not one of those obnoxious people who rage about selfie sticks or whatever, you do you follow your bliss, I'm just saying that the middle of a gun/bow fight is perhaps not the best time to be taking one.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
She's not angling her phone very well for an effective background on that selfie. Doesn't Roy have a Selfie-Stick-Arrow she can use?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Oh man the art in this is so hilariously bad. Why are the gunshots coming out of the walls and floor if they're looking toward their attacks?

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Toxxupation posted:

I mean, to be clear, I have nothing against people who take selfies, I'm not one of those obnoxious people who rage about selfie sticks or whatever, you do you follow your bliss, I'm just saying that the middle of a gun/bow fight is perhaps not the best time to be taking one.

She is so overwhelmed with being in the presence of :swoon:JASON:swoon: that she ignores the chaos and imminent danger around her as she pauses to document this, the proudest moment of her life. From this moment on, no other photographs she takes will ever be worth saving because none of them will have JASON in them.

(I wouldn't bat an eye at a character ignoring obvious danger to take a selfie with Superman or Wonder Woman, but Red Hood and Arsenal? Even within their own book they're not exactly household names)

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Red Hood's lips. :stare:

Get the man some chapstick.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Is The Great Darkness Saga the best place to start with LOSH?
The Comixology trade picks up at #284.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Run Arsenal, run!

Into the waiting arms of Booth's art.

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

We're all so ugly and stupid and doomed.

Teenage Fansub posted:

Is The Great Darkness Saga the best place to start with LOSH?
The Comixology trade picks up at #284.

LOSH is a complete minefield, but yeah, you could do a lot worse that start with the Great Darkness Saga collection. It's pretty much the start of what may consider to be its best run. The trade starts a bit earlier than the "saga" itself as 284 was the first issue of Levitz's return as writer.

It's a shame DC only released this and the following "The Curse" book. Lot more really good stuff uncollected in Legion-land. Think there are a couple of 6-issue trades (out-of print most likely) of the later issues though. Whole thing should have got the deluxe HC treatment IMHO

Shameless fucked around with this message at 11:12 on May 31, 2016

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Shameless posted:

It's a shame DC only released this and the following "The Curse" book. Lot more really good stuff uncollected in Legion-land. Think there are a couple of 6-issue trades (out-of print most likely) of the later issues though. Whole thing should have got the deluxe HC treatment IMHO

The story I've heard is that when Levitz was publisher, he went out of his way to block Legion collections from his own run forward so he wouldn't have to collect any of the Five Years Later stuff, which he dislikes. The DC Archive editions for the Legion get right up to 1979, where his first run began, then stop there. Might make for a good Comic Book Legends Revealed article. :D

Why they haven't gone for it in the five years since he stepped down as publisher is beyond me. Probably a combination of it being a minefield, as you mentioned, and the awkward royalty arrangement DC had in the 1990s that makes reprints unappealing for them (I think that's part of the reason why there's never been any Power of Shazam collections beyond Ordway's original graphic novel).

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

At least the singles are covered on Comixology.

Cheers.

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

We're all so ugly and stupid and doomed.

Wheat Loaf posted:

The story I've heard is that when Levitz was publisher, he went out of his way to block Legion collections from his own run forward so he wouldn't have to collect any of the Five Years Later stuff, which he dislikes. The DC Archive editions for the Legion get right up to 1979, where his first run began, then stop there. Might make for a good Comic Book Legends Revealed article. :D

Why they haven't gone for it in the five years since he stepped down as publisher is beyond me. Probably a combination of it being a minefield, as you mentioned, and the awkward royalty arrangement DC had in the 1990s that makes reprints unappealing for them (I think that's part of the reason why there's never been any Power of Shazam collections beyond Ordway's original graphic novel).

Yeah, I had heard that about Levitz blocking collections. Shame really as there's some cracking stuff there, including 5 years later. The fact that some of it has already been collected makes me think that it's not necessarily a royalties issue. Could easily be that the books that were out just didn't shift the numbers they were expecting.

Teenage Fansub posted:

At least the singles are covered on Comixology.

Cheers.

Might be worth checking out a chronology site if you intend to read a big chunk of them because in the middle of the Levitz era the books split into the new direct-market only "Legion of Superheroes" and the existing newsstand book was renamed "Tales of the Legion" with the latter telling new stories for a while and then becoming a reprint title of the former. Same thing that happened with New Teen Titans. It can get sort of messy in there for a while.

Shameless fucked around with this message at 12:40 on May 31, 2016

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Squizzle posted:

Digital sales are a big black box of mysterybucks, but literally everything ever said on the matter tells us that Ms. Marvel sells gangbusters online, despite moving anemic numbers through Diamond.
Ms. Marvel sells right around 30k through Diamond which, while not in "massive hit" range, is far from "anemic."

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Endless Mike posted:

Ms. Marvel sells right around 30k through Diamond which, while not in "massive hit" range, is far from "anemic."

Embarrassingly, with the quality of writing from Ms. Marvel, this still finished over twice the amount of sales last month.

quote:

14 Batman Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 5 $3.99 DC 65,616

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Endless Mike posted:

Dang, I have no idea how I got it into my head that it sold poorly. It's nice to be wrong about that.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

XBenedict posted:

Embarrassingly, with the quality of writing from Ms. Marvel, this still finished over twice the amount of sales last month.
I would bet with pretty strong certainty that with digital sales included, Ms. Marvel sells more. Ms. Marvel is legitimately a massive hit for Marvel, it just doesn't show up on Diamond sales charts as such since its audience is largely people who don't go to comic stores whereas that's exactly who Batman/TMNT is targeted at.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

G. Willow Wilson posted on Twitter a while back that people need to move away from using single issue sales to judge the success of comic book because "some titles" can triple or quadruple their sales in digital and in trade. I think she'd be as well placed as anyone to know how much a digital-heavy book can sell on digital, so if even a couple books are selling that much digitally, it's a good thing.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Batman/TMNT is good and cool :colbert:

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Dunbar posted:

G. Willow Wilson posted on Twitter a while back that people need to move away from using single issue sales to judge the success of comic book because "some titles" can triple or quadruple their sales in digital and in trade. I think she'd be as well placed as anyone to know how much a digital-heavy book can sell on digital, so if even a couple books are selling that much digitally, it's a good thing.

I remember some chart people posted ages ago comparing TPB sales, that had books like Captain America losing slightly to Black Widow, and both books being absolutely buried by Ms Marvel, selling more then 4x BW and CA combined.

For DC, digital doesn't matter as much from what rumors I've heard but their trade sales still matter.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Dunbar posted:

She has a point, which is why I really wish the big two would wait for trade sale figures of their new titles before deciding which titles get cancelled. It also helps if those trades come out quickly.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I know I am way late to the party, but I agree with everybody posting alternate Tim Drake costumes. The new one's nice and all, but it needs something to make it stand out as being more distinctive from Grayson and Todd's Robin duds besides an extra R, especially since as far as I know, the New 52 still retconned out Dick's original suit with the exposed legs and I doubt Wally West is gonna pop b Diyck's place for a touching moment where he and Wally hug and go "How could I forget, Wally? How could I ever forget when I fought crime in green briefs?" I mean, even the wing suit, dumb though it may be, is certainly visually distinctive from any other Robin suit.

Rhyno posted:

Let's talk about Joker's Daughter instead.

I still say Lobdell missed out for not ridding the world of The Worst Character. I mean, maybe I don't have the power to award Eisners, but I would've made a paper mâché Eisner and sent it to him.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

SonicRulez posted:

I have a question, but it's mildly Todd-related, so please don't hate me. Why did Arsenal and Starfire end up in his comic? I've never known those characters to have any relationship with him before. Did someone get their Robins mixed up?

As far as know they had never interacted with him. And I considered them weaker for it.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Madkal posted:

She has a point, which is why I really wish the big two would wait for trade sale figures of their new titles before deciding which titles get cancelled. It also helps if those trades come out quickly.

That's what Marvel does. That's why we still have books like Ms Marvel and Squirrel Girl.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

DrProsek posted:

For DC, digital doesn't matter as much

Hey. They were the ones to kick off day-and-date digital and made it possible for me to keep up with new releases without stealing them. Digital props.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Teenage Fansub posted:

Hey. They were the ones to kick off day-and-date digital and made it possible for me to keep up with new releases without stealing them. Digital props.

And they have a few books that are probably big digital sellers (Batgirl and Bombshells come to mind), but not as many as Marvel or Image and they seem to care less about capturing the non-traditional comics audience.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Do we have digital numbers from anyone to quantify any of that? Marvel's largely given up on any sort of digital forward stuff.

JoshTheStampede posted:

they seem to care less about capturing the non-traditional comics audience.

DC You was a big shot at 'em. Vertigo's last creative spurt was a shot (Twilight Children, Sheriff of Babylon and Unfollow are fantastic if you didn't try 'em)

The larger public didn't give a poo poo and they've pretty much scaled their attempt right out of the mainstream, but there's still Young Animal coming. I think they could care less.

The Hanna-Barbera stuff seems to be working out so far. Which is heartening for the future of weird ideas.

e: They didn't cancel Dr Fate (ethnically diverse cast and non-traditional art) for whatever reason, and Gotham Academy is coming back.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jun 1, 2016

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Teenage Fansub posted:

Which is very nice for them, but as JoshTheStampede said, despite that their digital sales just generally don't matter for most books, unlike Marvel and Image where digital makes up a much larger portion of their sales.

Teenage Fansub posted:

Do we have digital numbers from anyone to quantify any of that? Marvel's largely given up on any sort of digital forward stuff.

No, Comixology never releases their numbers. All we have are rumors from various DC/Marvel/Comixology people but the rumors are that DC's digital sales make up a much smaller portion of their sales than Marvel or Image.

burnishedfume fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jun 1, 2016

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Giving digital codes with every physical issue would be a step in the right direction.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
David Gabriel "unofficially" said that Ms Marvel's digital sales blow the physical copy sales out of the water.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

I feel like digital sales are just the equivalent of DVR viewings in the TV industry. All that matters is Nielsen ratings (i.e. physical books sold) because that's all advertisers care about and everything else is entirely meaningless / white noise to the actual decisions made.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Cael posted:

I feel like digital sales are just the equivalent of DVR viewings in the TV industry. All that matters is Nielsen ratings (i.e. physical books sold) because that's all advertisers care about and everything else is entirely meaningless / white noise to the actual decisions made.

Ad revenue is a much larger percentage of tv money than it is in comics, though. Marvel isn't living off that hostess fruit pie money.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I think I'd prefer if 3rd party ads weren't removed from the digital versions.

That goes 10000% for old comics.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Being ad free is one of the reasons I switched to digital. :colbert:

Though ads in old comics would be kinda rad if you could toggle them off and on.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Detective No. 27 posted:

Though ads in old comics would be kinda rad if you could toggle them off and on.

I would probably pay for like a big digital volume full of ads from the 70s and 80s and no actual comics. You might think it's nuts paying for ads but especially if they were all like, crisp and stuff? Not like the crappy scans of old yellow comic books from a time when printing was, let's be nice and call it "workmanlike"? Yeah that'd be worth having.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I WISH digital versions retained the look of old comics printing. Most of the time that coloring just isn't made to be presented clean.
Say nothing of going back and adding horrific 'modern' gradients and effects like they've shoved into old Neil Adams Batman comics.

The Jack Kirby Fourth World collections I have strike a decent compromise for modern print. There aren't any halftones or bleeding, but the paper's matte and off-white.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jun 1, 2016

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Yeah no, "modern" coloring can gently caress right off. I don't even like it in most "modern" comics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Detective No. 27 posted:

:yeah:

It's still weird to me that comics from the Big Two sell so well that they interrupt their stories with ads to make even more money, and all the smaller publishers purposely exclude ads or limit them to the very last pages, and still only comprise a sliver of each month's sales. (I mean, yes, it makes sense economically, but you'd figure smaller publishers would pinch every penny they could too, beyond having measly page rates)