Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

It's still odd that there is literally nothing about Mereen or Dany's plots in the full season spoilers.

:page3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
^^^ that's because danys plot never goes anywhere

Kajeesus posted:

The Maester school he's going to in Oldtown has a bunch of characters that will probably be important in the future, including a Sand Snake, a Faceless Man and a dude named Marwyn the Mage who can do some Valyrian and/or blood magic poo poo. He taught Mirri Maz Duur the spell that turned Drogo into a zombie. Sam will at the least serve as the link between these characters and team Jon/Melisandre, assuming that they exist in the show.

It would be pretty cool if we never saw the showdown between the Waif and Arya and we just see Maisie Williams in Westeros in a later episode. Who's to say if that's actually Arya, then?

My favorite book detail about Walder Frey is that he does provide for every single member of his family, no matter how much he curmudgeons. A bunch of the shittier Freys are genuinely concerned for his health because they know that the next Lord Frey would just give them the boot and leave them to fend for themselves, if not cull them outright. Walder isn't a complete shitbag.

Wait what where's all this from

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

24-7 Urkel Cosplay posted:

The one that stands out to me though is that I can't really reconcile last episode's "The BWB has risen up against us" and "the BWB is now just a bunch of highway robbers".

My memories a bit hazy but in Briennes chapters aren't the bandits lead by "the Hound" posing as the BWB and she only meets the real one after figthing the fake one's off?

I hope the show won't turn the BWB into a gang of robbers because that would be a waste and given how streamlined the show is it would be the actual BWB doing it.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Walder doesn't even try to save Jinglebell.

quote:

Boom, the drum sounded, boom doom boom doom. The old man's lips went in and out. The knife trembled in Catelyn's hand, slippery with sweat. "A son for a son, heh," he repeated. "But that's a grandson . . . and he never was much use."

Catelyn killing Walder's new wife instead was a really good change. "I'll find another."

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Ague Proof posted:

That's what I meant, I wasn't criticising. Coldhands as Benjen just made sense and even if they brought on an elk for some reason, it would probably be terrible. I don't think even the most nitpicky people would complain about it, it's pointless to do it to make this unknown character more mysterious/memorable when you find out who they are a minute after they're introduced instead of 16 years later.

Haha, whoops. I just tend to read sarcasm in every post in this thread, it's the safer option.

mastershakeman posted:

Harsh, but fair.

E: VVV In that case, it's weird that the leaker worked on every set and worked with each crew to get all of that information and yet never found out the Dany/Mereen stuff.

WampaLord fucked around with this message at 15:30 on May 31, 2016

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

WampaLord posted:

It's still odd that there is literally nothing about Mereen or Dany's plots in the full season spoilers.

:page3:

Not if the person that leaked it didn't work on that stuff. Total exclusion makes more sense than if there were bits and pieces.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

You are gonna get in trouble for leaking the show outline.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Ague Proof posted:

Would you trade revenge for a 'tard in medieval times?

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
The Dany storyline has been fairly straightforward so far, if you were trying to trick people you'd include that one. Before any of the episodes were aired you could predict that Khal says Dany is the "thousandth of your name", the Dothraki take her to Vaes Dothrak and she burns down that hall. Just add in Drogon appearing and Dany's obligatory motivational speech.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

mastershakeman posted:

It's in brief bits scattered throughout the books. The biggest bit of info on this is the two Frey wards at Winterfell reveal that the Frey family has an extensive and incredibly convoluted line of inheritance. When one of the Freys gets killed fighting for Rob the two kids argue about whose gained more because of it.

Oh and the Frey who gets migraines and is hanged by Lady Stone Heart was financially secure even though Walder thought he was useless. That's why he got killed, he volunteered to prove he could be off use to the family if/when the succession happens.

Ague Proof posted:

Catelyn killing Walder's new wife instead was a really good change. "I'll find another."

Well yeah, but it's far too late then. If he let's Robb go after what he's pulled the whole family would be at risk. Sometimes you've just got to take one for the good of the team.

Baka-nin fucked around with this message at 15:50 on May 31, 2016

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008
Jinglebell being there was meant to be an insult anyways, the first time the Starks were there Walder hid him away somewhere.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
He could have lied about letting Robb go. Let him leave the hall, he's not going to get very far.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Baka-nin posted:

Well yeah, but it's far too late then. If he let's Robb go after what he's pulled the whole family would be at risk. Sometimes you've just got to take one for the good of the team.

Lets. Not let is. Lets.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

Ague Proof posted:

What's wrong with the quote I posted? Everything has come true so far. You could put a lot of this together from trailers and set leaks but parts of it are too specific to be guesses.

The bulk of what the spoilers cover that has already happened is true, and it doesn't appear to be reconstructed from previews or anything. But, for example, it says Summer survives, which is not true. There's also things like saying the Children created the White Walkers to protect 'something' but they've turned against them. I just found it odd that they don't specify what the 'something' is, since this information is all revealed in the same scene.

There are also similar spoilers for the battle scene, but have details that differ (Ramsay dying, for example). So it's possible that the spoilers are broadly true but the more specific details are not necessarily correct.

Pedro De Heredia fucked around with this message at 16:11 on May 31, 2016

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Let' the man put's it's ' wherever he want's, what's wrong with you people's

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

mastershakeman posted:

The Oldtown stuff happens in a Feast for Crows, and the Frey stuff in a Storm of Swords. Arya and the Waif is just me idly speculating plot lines that would be more interesting than Arya killing the Waif and successfully severing all ties with the House of Black and White in one scene.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Apoplexy posted:

Lets. Not let is. Lets.

Sentence fragments, surely commas would be more appropriate?

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
So from the spoilers Tommen's "suicide" sounds like it could be the work of Varys' little birds.

More exciting for the show at this point than killing Kevan.

xwing
Jul 2, 2007
red leader standing by

Kajeesus posted:

Arya and the Waif is just me idly speculating plot lines that would be more interesting than Arya killing the Waif and successfully severing all ties with the House of Black and White in one scene.

Yes, either of these would be interesting: A) Arya getting her face taken and then the faceless men muck things up in Westros as the iron bank want their money back. OR B) not just killing the Waif, but taking her face and murdering all the faceless men.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Baka-nin posted:

Sentence fragment's, surely comma's woul'd be more appropriate?

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009

Pedro De Heredia posted:

The bulk of what the spoilers cover that has already happened is true, and it doesn't appear to be reconstructed from previews or anything. But, for example, it says Summer survives, which is not true. There's also things like saying the Children created the White Walkers to protect 'something' but they've turned against them. I just found it odd that they don't specify what the 'something' is, since this information is all revealed in the same scene.

There are also similar spoilers for the battle scene, but have details that differ (Ramsay dying, for example). So it's possible that the spoilers are broadly true but the more specific details are not necessarily correct.

The truth is this season isn't actually finished yet and D&D are actually searching the internet for fake spoilers and then adapting them.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

It must be tiresome to care so much about grammar on the internet

kater
Nov 16, 2010

It is my sincere wish that the next Sam scene is 'Well we can't go to Oldtown, my father expects that, lets go back to the wall.'

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

kater posted:

It is my sincere wish that the next Sam scene is 'Well we can't go to Oldtown, my father expects that, lets go back to the wall.'

Maybe, but I can't shake the horrible suspicion that Oldtown is still on and that will mean Gilly and her time travel wizard baby will have to stay with the other Sand Snake with the Alucard name, and thus give Dorne the leverage it needs to burst back into the plot when the time is right.

unburied
Jun 8, 2015

nooneofconsequence posted:

Cersei is going to kill all the Tyrells, think she's won, and then Dorne will invade

Then Cersei will be in command of all the Tyrell armies, so Dorne won't be a threat. That's how it works, right?

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
We have every reason to believe that the Snakes are still at King's Landing and that they will do a thing at some point, most signs point towards a high value assassination.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Kajeesus posted:

The Oldtown stuff happens in a Feast for Crows, and the Frey stuff in a Storm of Swords. Arya and the Waif is just me idly speculating plot lines that would be more interesting than Arya killing the Waif and successfully severing all ties with the House of Black and White in one scene.

I just didn't remember the oldtown stuff at all besides a prologue that I mostly ignored. A sand snake being there is really surprising, same with the others you mentioned

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

mastershakeman posted:

I just didn't remember the oldtown stuff at all besides a prologue that I mostly ignored. A sand snake being there is really surprising, same with the others you mentioned

Yeah, it was in the prologue chapter with Pate the dumb acolyte - when he mentions meeting some of the other acolytes at the tavern, he mentions Alleras the Sphinx, who is a small, slight-featured young man who has been kicking rear end at all the maester stuff. Then, in Dorne, Arianne mentions how her sister Sarella had been gone from Dorne for some time, and should be left to her "game". It's the sort of thing that might just be a coincidence in real life, but had to have been put there deliberately by the gurm, and almost certainly means Sarella's "game" is posing as a man in order to learn the secrets of the maesters.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Baka-nin posted:

Sentence fragments, surely commas would be more appropriate?

The "flying comma" actually has a name :eng101: The apostrophe is typically used for possession and contractions. Lets, as in "lets him go," is neither.

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008

unburied posted:

Then Cersei will be in command of all the Tyrell armies, so Dorne won't be a threat. That's how it works, right?

Only if she sets King's landing on fire to kill the Tyrell family.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

I think those full season spoilers are right about some things, but not others.

I don't see how the Brotherhood without Banners can have deteriorated to basically highway men who rob the common folk, while also rallying the common folk against the Freys as we found out they are doing this week.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Narmi posted:

Only if she sets King's landing on fire to kill the Tyrell family.

According to the show that will only work if Cersei was kin by blood. Murdering a relative gets you all their stuff, and universal praise. But murdering anyone else will get you enemies and accusations of theft.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
The season spanning spoilers have so far been accurate about the broader strokes and large set pieces but got pretty much all of the specific details and character motivations wrong.

Basically they were the spoilers equivalent of a D&D adaptation.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I was kind of hoping for Sam's Study Sessions in Oldtown with Marwyn (and Bad Pussy #4) but I dunno if they will ever go that route. It's not happening at least in this season, if spoilers are to be believed.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

"he's beaten us, that's what's happening!" is in retrospect the most clumsy goddamn expository dialog that sticks out like a sore thumb. The king standing up there could mean a lot of things but if the king talking to the high sparrow is a huge game changer why didn't anyone loving notice the dozen other times he came by and got a bible story?

I feel like I saw a chess game and someone did an Indian opening and someone in the stands yelled "my god. It's checkmate!" as the black player openly weeps before having played a move.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

xwing posted:

Yes, either of these would be interesting: A) Arya getting her face taken and then the faceless men muck things up in Westros as the iron bank want their money back. OR B) not just killing the Waif, but taking her face and murdering all the faceless men.

For option A it would be interesting to leave it ambiguous, and have "Arya" show up in Westeros with no explanation for the audience or anyone else.

They are going to have some trouble with a plausible option for her killing the waif (option B), if that's the direction they go in, for the reason you highlight: she's not the only faceless assassin. Unless the whole thing is going to turn out to be a test for Arya, with killing the waif turning out to be Arya's initiation (itself a pretty implausible outcome).

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Krinkle posted:

"he's beaten us, that's what's happening!" is in retrospect the most clumsy goddamn expository dialog that sticks out like a sore thumb. The king standing up there could mean a lot of things but if the king talking to the high sparrow is a huge game changer why didn't anyone loving notice the dozen other times he came by and got a bible story?

I feel like I saw a chess game and someone did an Indian opening and someone in the stands yelled "my god. It's checkmate!" as the black player openly weeps before having played a move.

Lol yeah Mace Tyrell was playing the audience standin. 'Wtf is going on?' 'The priest won'.

Also I find it absolutely hilarious that they would show up in force at the High Sept with the king still there as a guest, basically giving them the best hostage they could ever want. And if they didn't know he was there then what in the gently caress is Jaime even doing for a living?

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Annual Prophet posted:

For option A it would be interesting to leave it ambiguous, and have "Arya" show up in Westeros with no explanation for the audience or anyone else.

They are going to have some trouble with a plausible option for her killing the waif (option B), if that's the direction they go in, for the reason you highlight: she's not the only faceless assassin. Unless the whole thing is going to turn out to be a test for Arya, with killing the waif turning out to be Arya's initiation (itself a pretty implausible outcome).

I thought she was gonna kill the waif and then Jaqen would just be like "Well the faceless god just wanted blood he didn't really give a poo poo who it was so ~shrugz~" and then they go about their business

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Demiurge4 posted:

Lol yeah Mace Tyrell was playing the audience standin. 'Wtf is going on?' 'The priest won'.

Also I find it absolutely hilarious that they would show up in force at the High Sept with the king still there as a guest, basically giving them the best hostage they could ever want. And if they didn't know he was there then what in the gently caress is Jaime even doing for a living?

The plainest truth in all of ASOIAF/GoT lore is that the kingsguard is TERRIBLE at their jobs.

One of them killed a king, they couldn't protect the next one from a boar, the next died at his birthday party and the current one is not long for the world either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Stefan Prodan posted:

I thought she was gonna kill the waif and then Jaqen would just be like "Well the faceless god just wanted blood he didn't really give a poo poo who it was so ~shrugz~" and then they go about their business

She was offered a second chance with killing the actress and was told there would not be a third. She's done with the Faceless Men, killing the waif will just make her have to run away.

• Locked thread