Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Some guy lines up at a fan expo in a trench coat and red high heels. Waits his turn, then:

Barrowman is impressed!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

Little_wh0re posted:

I don't actually care weither or not ICBMs can go into space irl

Intellectually lazy viewers like you are the reason the show has such high ratings despite lovely writing.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Also most ICBMs aren't MIRVs, as those are limited in addition to nuke stock piles in general in various treaties.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Everyone knows nukes can't escape Earth orbit unless Superman chucks them into the sun.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Rhyno posted:

Everyone knows nukes can't escape Earth orbit unless Superman chucks them into the sun.

How would Superman fly in space? There would be no thrust.

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Arrow was way better when he could just kill people without crying about it.Corporate corruption, drug violence, etc. also seemed like a much more menacing threat. Once again, comics ruin everything.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

enraged_camel posted:

Intellectually lazy viewers like you are the reason the show has such high ratings despite lovely writing.

Eh. Once you're willing to accept 'felicity computered it' as a solution where the missiles go doesn't matter

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

Arrow was way better when he could just kill people without crying about it.Corporate corruption, drug violence, etc. also seemed like a much more menacing threat. Once again, comics ruin everything.

Agreed. It also made him different than Batman.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

Chokes McGee posted:

Has any show experienced as much of a quality free fall as Arrow did this season? It's like I'm watching AoS' first season in reverse like some sort of deranged Benjamin Button.

I thought Dexter was great at first, before the writers thought he was the "good" guy. Looking back on it, season 1 of Arrow was easily my favorite when Ollie was in the line of being a bad guy.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Except by and large the only people he killed were the poor rent-a-cops hired to watch over the true criminals. At least now he's taking down those waves of faceless guards :airquote:non-lethally:airquote:

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

howe_sam posted:

Except by and large the only people he killed were the poor rent-a-cops hired to watch over the true criminals. At least now he's taking down those waves of faceless guards :airquote:non-lethally:airquote:

Except they could have hit a middle ground, where he takes down rent-a-cops non-lethally but doesn't hold back when fighting the actual villains. Instead they decided to make him Batman-lite.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Batman kills people.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

Aphrodite posted:

Batman kills people.

Only back in the day when his comics first started, and most recently in BvS (which all fans hated). In between though, during the majority of the character's career, he was much more reserved, killing only very rarely and usually only in a roundabout way (e.g. Joker in the original movie). The Dark Knight trilogy depicts the quintessential Batman with his no-kill rule. He refrains from killing Heath Ledger's Joker during a climactic battle for instance.

This is in stark contrast to Season 1 Arrow, who was leaving a trail of dead bodies everywhere he went. In the pilot episode alone he killed like 10 people without a second thought.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
The by far worst part of Ollie not killing people any more is the painful deficit of "droppin' bodies"-lines from Paul Blackthorne.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Batman straight bombs a warehouse full of goons and kicks goons clean off the clock tower in Batman '89. He also kills Ra's in Batman Begins.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Diggle clearly shoots a shitload of people. Those aren't tranq darts he's got in there.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Oliver had exceptions for his no-kill rule too, he murdered the poo poo out of the Count and was planning on assassinating Slade when he first showed up.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Batman straight bombs a warehouse full of goons and kicks goons clean off the clock tower in Batman '89. He also kills Ra's in Batman Begins.

He didn't kill him.

He just didn't save him.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Invalid Validation posted:

Diggle clearly shoots a shitload of people. Those aren't tranq darts he's got in there.

That's because Diggle don't give a gently caress and doesn't let himself get weighed down by a bunch of bitchass whining about HIS DARHKNESS.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

enraged_camel posted:

Oh man, I had forgotten another awful thing about the season: the sudden and casual disbandment of League of Assassins!

I have the sneaking suspicion that the League is going to play a role in the upcoming Batman movies so they just went ahead and wiped it from the TV universe.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

raditts posted:

That's because Diggle don't give a gently caress and doesn't let himself get weighed down by a bunch of bitchass whining about HIS DARHKNESS.

Oh god, I forgot he calls it his darkness. Shut up you little bitch Ollie.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

The smaller stakes were so much more interesting. Nukes should have been the mid season thing and saving Olivers son should have been the season ender. It wouldn't have really fixed the big glaring problem of world saving zero budget heroes, but Oliver clowning Dhark(who I guess forgot he was in the league of assassins lmao) in front of his son who promptly chucks his Flash toy in the trash for an Arrow one was a really good bit.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

raditts posted:

Which was true right up until the point where he started grieving about Andy.

E: sorry, I meant Andhy.

Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx

enraged_camel posted:

And hysterical pedantic human shitshows are the reason people laugh at sci-fi fans.

Maybe you should stick to seething that they didn't kill Iris.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Even the thread about Arrow is bad

Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx

Chokes McGee posted:

Even the thread about Arrow is bad

TV show threads in the off-season get weird.

People want to keep talking about the show, but there's nothing to talk about. And around here, that wonderful self-loathing goon attitude seems to mean that people just want to rage about how much they hate the dumb nerd show to show that they're not dumb nerds. It'll probably stay that way until we start getting solid info about the next season. Then it will be people getting a head start on hating the season so they can feel like they're above the hype, and dumb nerds like me who will :circlefap: to every morsel of data.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Detective No. 27 posted:

The movies are dumb, we're talking about real life.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

boom boom boom posted:

The movies are dumb, we're talking about real life.

I'm the one who said it, so no we're not.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Ah yes, corruption, drugs, and violence. Three things that Batman has never tackled.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

Hermetic posted:

And hysterical pedantic human shitshows are the reason people laugh at sci-fi fans.

Maybe you should stick to seething that they didn't kill Iris.

I wasn't seething. I just said it would have been mre powerful and meaningful if Zoom had killed her instead of Flashdad.

Besides, Iris is a Bad Character who has zero chemistry with Barry. Killing her could have meant no longer having the Barry-Iris romance shoved down our throats, which would have been a big plus. That seems to have been postponed with Barry changing the timeline though, so I'm satisfied. Hopefully she will be married to someone else next season and will only barely know Barry (since they won't have grown up together). :pray:

Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx

enraged_camel posted:

I wasn't seething. I just said it would have been mre powerful and meaningful if Zoom had killed her instead of Flashdad.

Besides, Iris is a Bad Character who has zero chemistry with Barry. Killing her could have meant no longer having the Barry-Iris romance shoved down our throats, which would have been a big plus. That seems to have been postponed with Barry changing the timeline though, so I'm satisfied. Hopefully she will be married to someone else next season and will only barely know Barry (since they won't have grown up together). :pray:

I'm not the first to tell you you're wrong, I won't be the last. On this or most things. :smuggo:

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

Hermetic posted:

I'm not the first to tell you you're wrong, I won't be the last. On this or most things. :smuggo:

thats ok. see my avatar

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

Hermetic posted:

TV show threads in the off-season get weird.

People want to keep talking about the show, but there's nothing to talk about. And around here, that wonderful self-loathing goon attitude seems to mean that people just want to rage about how much they hate the dumb nerd show to show that they're not dumb nerds. It'll probably stay that way until we start getting solid info about the next season. Then it will be people getting a head start on hating the season so they can feel like they're above the hype, and dumb nerds like me who will :circlefap: to every morsel of data.

Not true, I rage about hating the show precisely because I'm a dumb nerd. I wouldn't be watching it otherwise.
Also because raging is fun.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He's wrong in the movie.

Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx

enraged_camel posted:

thats ok. see my avatar

"Some people can't handle the truth" smugs the manchild :qq:ing about Barry ending up in his standard comic book relationship for reasons that totally aren't "Iris was cast as a black woman".

You are dumb and wrong. Sorry. :(

Aphrodite posted:

He's wrong in the movie.

Forgot about this. Thank you for an extra layer of hilarity.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I peaced out after they pointlessly killed Laurel. I made the right decision, didn't I?

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Narcissus1916 posted:

I peaced out after they pointlessly killed Laurel. I made the right decision, didn't I?

You're fine. Half of team Arrow peaced out with you in the finale episode anyway so you won't be alone.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
maybe next season we'll find out iris is actually jay

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Iris is pretty terrible. Remember that time she thought her boss asked her out on a date? Remember when that went nowhere?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

Hermetic posted:

"Some people can't handle the truth" smugs the manchild :qq:ing about Barry ending up in his standard comic book relationship for reasons that totally aren't "Iris was cast as a black woman".

You are dumb and wrong. Sorry. :(

Forgot about this. Thank you for an extra layer of hilarity.

Iris was also black in the comics I thought? Anyway, I havent read any so I don't care. Candice Patton is a decent actor, her character is just written terribly and in a very uninteresting way, and she doesn't have chemistry with Grant Gustin (unlike Patti's and Linda's actors, both of whom clicked with him really, really well). I don't think this is about her race either. Diggle and Layla work really well in Arrow for instance.

It is also interesting that you call me a manchild yet your rationale for rooting for Barry-Iris is that they are married in the comics. :rolleyes:

• Locked thread