Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Verranicus posted:

What screenshot was that?

Yeah please post this I want to see it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Knifegrab posted:

Orson Scott what have I done wrong?!

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Speaking of overarching story. Is there ever given any reason for why the Overwatch cast are fighting each other? Even in TF2 there was one, even if it was just "There are two big corporations fighting over gravel. They hire mercs to fight for them". In Overwatch it just seems so... weird, since I don't think the crew are mercs.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Brannock posted:

Blizzard created and designed a cast that's incredibly diverse with many broad archetypes that appeal to children and teenagers with just enough backstory and characterization that anyone who enjoys the base character can take it and attach their own characterization and quirks to it without contradicting or betraying the base character. One boy will get invested in Jack Morrison's heroics, another will be excited about Soldier: 76's ruthless vigilantism. The characters are cartoony yet detailed, peppered with loads of silly quotable lines that people can shout at each other, and all are highly recognizable.

Overwatch, consequently, has become an instant classic, with droves upon droves of memes and fanart and fanfiction and cosplay and lore discussion and enthusiasm and excitement and investment, capturing the loyalty of an entire new generation of starry-eyed gamers right when the previous, aging generation is finding other occupations with their life. And the game was released barely more than a week ago.

Obese early thirties manchildren with no goals and no prospects in life: "Blizzard's writing and characters suck!!!"

lol are you for real

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Broken Cog posted:

Speaking of overarching story. Is there ever given any reason for why the Overwatch cast are fighting each other? Even in TF2 there was one, even if it was just "There are 2 big corporations fighting over gravel. They hire mercs to fight for them". In Overwatch it just seems so... weird, considering I don't think the crew are mercs.

Ludo-narrative dissonance. Literally "why is Guile punching Chun in the face" in every SF after 2.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I think it's this one:

On the one hand, that's only one character and it's not all the time. On the other that shouldn't happen ever.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Lovecraft not you too!

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Dias posted:

Well, having an overarching story helps with developing interesting characters, because you can contextualize them in a world and connect them. I do think people go in too hard on ludo-narrative dissonance when they shouldn't tho.

i mean

nice meltdown

I suppose I didn't contextualize myself in the right way, it's not that I don't think games shouldn't have any sort of worldbuilding or lore (even though I'm personally disinterested in those things) it's just that if you're going to do that you should at least try. It's probably bad form to ascribe motivations to people without knowing for sure but I get the distinct impression that the three biggest examples I can think of of a game having absolutely needless backstory (The DIvision, Overwatch, and League of Legends) have developers utterly uninterested in actually having a narrative but feel obligated to include one. League is especially egregious, with reams and reams of contextless story that reads like high schooler creative writing exercises.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Dias posted:

Ludo-narrative dissonance. Literally "why is Guile punching Chun in the face" in every SF after 2.

A story mode would seriously fit the game a lot more. Which I guess might be in part because it was put together from the butchered remains of project Titan or whatever (from what I've heard).

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Broken Cog posted:

Speaking of overarching story. Is there ever given any reason for why the Overwatch cast are fighting each other? Even in TF2 there was one, even if it was just "There are two big corporations fighting over gravel. They hire mercs to fight for them". In Overwatch it just seems so... weird, since I don't think the crew are mercs.

You should really just relax.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
The voice lines when killing a character your character is lore-friendly with are pretty funny.

Why anyone is trying to analyze the lore as anymore than tongue-in-cheek flavor for a fun game is beyond me.

Dr. Carwash
Sep 16, 2006

Senpai...
Is there any website that shows the pick rate of each hero?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

gandlethorpe posted:

The voice lines when killing a character your character is lore-friendly with are pretty funny.

Why anyone is trying to analyze the lore as anymore than tongue-in-cheek flavor for a fun game is beyond me.

Can you remember any of them? I seriously cant remember a single one.
Someone mentioned one from Tracer earlier, but I never play her, so I haven't really heard too many of hers. I honestly haven't even noticed them being in the game.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

Broken Cog posted:

i do not know if there is a polite way to say this, but I truly feel that people like you should be loaded into comically large cartoon canons and shot into the sun

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
My team got steamrolled in a route 66 defense vs 6 reapers last night, which sounds like a terrible gimmick but reapers are a lot scarier when you can't keep track of all 6 of them and their constant teleporting.

what would have been a good counter to that? pharah? anything on the ground had two reapers up its rear end immediately. I feel like Pharah on her own still wouldnt have been able to stop the payload

Soothing Vapors fucked around with this message at 19:10 on May 31, 2016

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Wangsbig posted:

i do not know if there is a polite way to say this, but I truly feel that people like you should be loaded into comically large cartoon canons and shot into the sun

Yeah, but what's your motivation? Do you and he have history?

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
I don't think it's fair to criticize someone for asking for a narrative explanation for gameplay conceits when the game's creator seems inordinately preoccupied with said narrative.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Wangsbig posted:

It was an honest question though, I haven't followed all the background stuff.

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

Lid posted:

Anyone else smell cheetos?

https://heatst.com/uk/is-overwatch-overrated-or-the-greatest-shooter-ever/

Overwatch sucks because it lacks raiding.

lmao

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Overwatch should have raiding though and by raiding I mean that one player is the raidboss and everyone else has to defeat them.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Broken Cog posted:

Can you remember any of them? I seriously cant remember a single one.
Someone mentioned one from Tracer earlier, but I never play her, so I haven't really heard too many of hers. I honestly haven't even noticed them being in the game.

I don't remember verbatim, but Tracer says something like "sorry, big guy" when she kills Winston, and Zenyatta says something like "I win this round" when killing Genji (who Zen mentored).

They're not laugh out loud funny, just amusing when you think about the fact that the game acknowledges these friends are killing each other for seemingly no reason.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Soothing Vapors posted:

My team got steamrolled in a route 66 defense vs 6 reapers last night, which sounds like a terrible gimmick but reapers are a lot scarier when you can't keep track of all 6 of them and their constant teleporting.

what would have been a good counter to that? pharah? anything on the ground had two reapers up its rear end immediately. I feel like Pharah on her own still wouldnt have been able to stop the payload

A bunch of Pharrahs with a Mercy or two would probably be fine.

You could also do a Bastion I guess, since even when reaper gets the drop on him a pre-deployed bastion will probably win the fight.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It's pretty obvious what generation of shooter people come from based on their most played heroes. Pharah and Junkrat supremacy forever. Soldiers and Widows get hosed.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Lady Naga posted:

I suppose I didn't contextualize myself in the right way, it's not that I don't think games shouldn't have any sort of worldbuilding or lore (even though I'm personally disinterested in those things) it's just that if you're going to do that you should at least try. It's probably bad form to ascribe motivations to people without knowing for sure but I get the distinct impression that the three biggest examples I can think of of a game having absolutely needless backstory (The DIvision, Overwatch, and League of Legends) have developers utterly uninterested in actually having a narrative but feel obligated to include one. League is especially egregious, with reams and reams of contextless story that reads like high schooler creative writing exercises.

Overwatch is pretty cliché, but I think it does an okay enough job at creating an universe and relationships between characters. If anything they try TOO hard, there's like three different story arcs in the stupid game, which I suppose is a consequence of OW's story being salvaged from a failed MMO. What I meant is that I can understand the need for lore and worldbuilding even if it's something REALLY HARD to represent in actual gameplay.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

gandlethorpe posted:

I don't remember verbatim, but Tracer says something like "sorry, big guy" when she kills Winston, and Zenyatta says something like "I win this round" when killing Genji (who Zen mentored).

They're not laugh out loud funny, just amusing when you think about the fact that the game acknowledges these friends are killing each other for seemingly no reason.

Ah thanks, I might actually have heard that line from Zenyatta, but I guess it kinda blended into his normal kill lines.

Nice to know that kind of interaction is in the game, at least.

exquisite tea posted:

It's pretty obvious what generation of shooter people come from based on their most played heroes. Pharah and Junkrat supremacy forever. Soldiers and Widows get hosed.
Spam versus aim

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

exquisite tea posted:

gently caress everyone that isn't mercy

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Is there plans to add more game modes ? I'm having a blast with the game but the map selection and only having either koth or payload is starting to get a bit stale already.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I like that Reaper's lore revolves around him being "traitorous former Overwatch agent who now hunts down his former comrades" considering the fact that we've seen most of the original Overwatch team and none of them are dead afaik? Reaper is the literal embodiment of death and darkness and he can't even do his job.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

exquisite tea posted:

But S76 and Junkrat are my two most played :o

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

exquisite tea posted:

My most played offense heroes are Junkrat and Soldier. (shut up junkrat is totally an offense hero, the game is wrong)

What does that mean about me.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

exquisite tea posted:

So what character should I get? A giant Pong bat?

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Wangsbig posted:

its a legit question, given how hard blizzard is pushing the "story" of this game, they have never explained in even the most rudimentary terms why everyone is suddenly fighting all the time. Destiny claimed pvp was training for war. Doom claims its a simulation by the AI. Other games have similar conceits to explain what is happening.

Blizzard on the other hand has some line about "the world needs heroes" to fight one another in random places for no apparent reason.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

I think it's this one:

On the one hand, that's only one character and it's not all the time. On the other that shouldn't happen ever.
i'm the microcephalic black guy with huge lips in the corner

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
My most played characters are Reinhardt and Lucio because no one else wants to play those classes, and Zenyatta is really frustrating to play after you reach a level where your opponents can actually aim.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

Lady Naga posted:

I don't think it's fair to criticize someone for asking for a narrative explanation for gameplay conceits when the game's creator seems inordinately preoccupied with said narrative.

this game was cobbled together from the pieces of a game where such questions might have been applicable. they are churning out low-effort stories & lore because they have bored artists and an engine and they want to sell bobble heads

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Roadhog for life

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

None of the shorts or comics or anything are even mentioned in the game with a half-assed ticker or News page or anything, I'd hardly call that pushing anything.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

PantsBandit posted:

I like that Reaper's lore revolves around him being "traitorous former Overwatch agent who now hunts down his former comrades" considering the fact that we've seen most of the original Overwatch team and none of them are dead afaik? Reaper is the literal embodiment of death and darkness and he can't even do his job.

I saw a picture somewhere of Overwatch members before the breakup. There was a sniper who looked related to Pharah. Maybe Reaper got to her and she'll come back as infested a zombie.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

flashman posted:

Is there plans to add more game modes ? I'm having a blast with the game but the map selection and only having either koth or payload is starting to get a bit stale already.

I just wish there was better distribution in the map selections. There are maps that I forget even exist because I see them once every 50 games, then maps like Route 66 or Dorado that show up constantly.

Broken Cog posted:

My most played characters are Reinhardt and Lucio because no one else wants to play those classes, and Zenyatta is really frustrating to play after you reach a level where your opponents can actually aim.

Lucio and Rein are really fun to play though, so that's cool. It is annoying that there are certain characters I never get to try because someone always picks them and for team comp I feel like I should go with someone more useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Dias posted:

Overwatch is pretty cliché, but I think it does an okay enough job at creating an universe and relationships between characters. If anything they try TOO hard, there's like three different story arcs in the stupid game, which I suppose is a consequence of OW's story being salvaged from a failed MMO. What I meant is that I can understand the need for lore and worldbuilding even if it's something REALLY HARD to represent in actual gameplay.

gandlethorpe brought up the relationship between Zenyatta and Genji and it really exemplifies why I hate Overwatch's "story". In DOTA 2 there really isn't any concrete "lore", there aren't stupid-rear end mini-novels about in-game events or detailed wikipedia articles on fake cities you'll never see in the game. Every character has a short, paragraph-long bio and tons of voice lines. If Zenyatta and Genji existed in DOTA 2 the only way to understand their relationship would be through listening to the banter the two share both pre-match and when they kill each other. To me, that's infinitely more interesting and rewarding than a dumbass animated short or comic where we're specifically shown that Zenyatta teaches Genji to be a real human being, and a real hero.

WoodrowSkillson posted:

its a legit question, given how hard blizzard is pushing the "story" of this game, they have never explained in even the most rudimentary terms why everyone is suddenly fighting all the time. Destiny claimed pvp was training for war. Doom claims its a simulation by the AI. Other games have similar conceits to explain what is happening.

Blizzard on the other hand has some line about "the world needs heroes" to fight one another in random places for no apparent reason.
Funnily enough League actually had a narrative conceit like this and then decided "no actually nevermind" and tried to scrub that element from the game, except now like half the characters have outdated bios and there's no real explanation for why everyone is fighting or can die like thirty times in a single match.

Lady Naga fucked around with this message at 19:25 on May 31, 2016