Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
I got a legendary Zarya skin but I don't like playing her :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I've actually played Battleborn and literally everything about that game and its characters is lovely if you're not into memes and god awful try hard gearbox writing.

The Overwatch characters aren't fleshed out or well rounded but at least they don't shout "feminism is awesome!!" when they get a kill.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Papercut posted:

Lucio and Rein are really fun to play though, so that's cool. It is annoying that there are certain characters I never get to try because someone always picks them and for team comp I feel like I should go with someone more useful.

Reinhardt can be fun enough as you can pull off some good plays with him, but Lucio fell into the spot as one of the most boring healing characters I've ever played in an online shooter once I realized that all he can do is dish out auras and knock people back. I've heard his gun was more powerful before, and you might have been able to pull off some impressive stuff with him back then, but as it is, you just run around as an aura bot and occasionally push people off ledges or drop the beat.

Shame he is so effective.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

fadam posted:

The Overwatch characters aren't fleshed out or well rounded but at least they don't shout "feminism is awesome!!" when they get a kill.

This is what I imagine Zarya says in Russian whenever she lobs a gravity bomb.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Stop giving me sprays... please... I'd rather have duplicates than sprays :negative:

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

exquisite tea posted:

This is what I imagine Zarya says in Russian whenever she lobs a gravity bomb.

I know you're just joking but I don't think a lot of people have realized that every character's non-English ult lines are just the English lines translated into their native language.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Lady Naga posted:

Overwatch should have raiding though and by raiding I mean that one player is the raidboss and everyone else has to defeat them.

Until then Overwatch cannot possibly reach the heights of World of Warcraft taiding.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
The obsession many people who like Overwatch have with Battleborn is kind of weird.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Lady Naga posted:

I know you're just joking but I don't think a lot of people have realized that every character's non-English ult lines are just the English lines translated into their native language.

Except Torbjörn :negative:

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Broken Cog posted:

Except Torbjörn :negative:

Lucio neither.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.
The impression I got from Battleborn is that it's a much more literal implementation of the MOBA gamestyle to an FPS. As far as I can understand, everything in the MOBA genre is basically artifacts from how RTS' and Hack n' Slash genres work and I don't find that enjoyable.

I mean if mowing down tons of idiot useless AI people is your idea of fun, or to LEVEL UP! and unlock extra abilities on your character, that's fine I guess, but I think Overwatch had the right idea to keep things focused on how the battle would just carry out between two teams and their objectives.

Grammaton
Feb 3, 2004
Cleric
I found out Symmetra is a great counter to Roadhog. Just avoid his hook then run around him while keeping the beam connected and he goes down quick.

Where to place Symmetra's turrets is a fun little side game. Sneaky little crevices hiding lots of turrets, the enemy coming in and not knowing what the gently caress is damaging them. So fun.

Grammaton fucked around with this message at 19:32 on May 31, 2016

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
i unironically like attacking anubis point b

there's so many little spots in that windy bottom route where you can jump up to the top route and surprise people, and since everyone's shoved in a single room, someone able to be a distraction (or ults that flush people out like d.va's) is way more powerful than in a normal game. been plenty of times that point has been broken by little more than 2-3 people hitting Q in sequence with a bit of mopup

~the power of teamwork~

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Bluhman posted:

The impression I got from Battleborn is that it's a much more literal implementation of the MOBA gamestyle to an FPS. As far as I can understand, everything in the MOBA genre is basically artifacts from how RTS' and Hack n' Slash genres work and I don't find that enjoyable.

I mean if mowing down tons of idiot useless AI people is your idea of fun, or to LEVEL UP! and unlock extra abilities on your character, that's fine I guess, but I think Overwatch had the right idea to keep things focused on how the battle would just carry out between two teams and their objectives.

Battleborn is to Smite what Overwatch is to TF2. They are completely different gameplay wise, and there is really no point trying to compare them.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Overwatch is only comparable to MOBAs if your only experience with them is someone vaguely describing League to you.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Lady Naga posted:

Overwatch should have raiding though and by raiding I mean that one player is the raidboss and everyone else has to defeat them.

This is me playing Zarya

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Gravy Jones posted:

The obsession many people who like Overwatch have with Battleborn is kind of weird.
Eh, not that weird. They're both visually-diistinct, character-driven games in vaguely similar genres that released head to head, except one looks like a cheap unlicensed knockoff of the other. Also one got absolutely stomped in sales compared to the other. Doesn't really matter much that Battleborn plays differently or may or may not be good on its own merits, it's just fun to point and laugh at an also-ran because we are horrible people.

Also it's a MOBA and all of those are intolerable and deserve endless mockery at every opportunity.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

mormonpartyboat posted:

i unironically like attacking anubis point b

there's so many little spots in that windy bottom route where you can jump up to the top route and surprise people, and since everyone's shoved in a single room, someone able to be a distraction (or ults that flush people out like d.va's) is way more powerful than in a normal game. been plenty of times that point has been broken by little more than 2-3 people hitting Q in sequence with a bit of mopup

~the power of teamwork~

Defenses can be easy to break if the other team has even the slightest bit of coordination around ultimates and can use them intelligently. Not even the most well-entrenched team is going to survive a Gravity Bomb + Death Blossom + Flying Dragon or whatever other combination of ridiculous teamkill ults your party has. It's just that most people JUST CAN'T WAIT to make dat highlight reel and will trickle in one at a time when you need to be patient and just hang in there until your meter is full and hopefully bait the bad guys into blowing their own ults.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Lady Naga posted:

Lucio neither.

I'll record Lucio's lines in Portuguese if Blizz pays me

(activates ult)
"É BAILE DE FAVELA NESSA PORRA AEW"

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Dias posted:

(activates ult)

They also need to add a megaphone flange effect in the Brazilian version.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

when i blow up a pesky tracer or genji with a sick trap & mine combo i just sigh because there's no lore so what's the point

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Dias posted:

(activates ult)

Lucio sounding like an African-American and having zero Portuguese lines means that I don't have to deal with horrific racism though.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

Asimo posted:

Eh, not that weird. They're both visually-diistinct, character-driven games in vaguely similar genres that released head to head, except one looks like a cheap unlicensed knockoff of the other. Also one got absolutely stomped in sales compared to the other. Doesn't really matter much that Battleborn plays differently or may or may not be good on its own merits, it's just fun to point and laugh at an also-ran because we are horrible people.

Also it's a MOBA and all of those are intolerable and deserve endless mockery at every opportunity.

Overwatch:Babe::Battleborn:Gordy

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Lady Naga posted:

Not Bastion :eng101:

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I'd like some airhorn sound effects with Lucio's ult personally.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Not Bastion :eng101:

Bastion doesn't have any English lines so your cute one-liner falls flat, jerk.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Overwatch is much more comparable to a fighting game in terms of how it treats the separation between gameplay and story than it is to World of Warcraft or dotalikes or something. The lore and stuff is there to give color to the characters and stages, but it (rightfully) has zero impact on actual gameplay.

nerve posted:

Everything you said is true and I love playing overwatch and watching competitive overwatch and I imagine I'll be playing the game for a long time. In addition to that, their comics and shorts have pretty bad writing.

The stuff they've put out have had varying levels of quality to them, and I didn't like the Symmetra comic much at all and I think they're mishandling Torbjörn, but I think it's silly to wholesale dismiss the output as Bad Writing like some hypercynical goons are doing. Yes, Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3 were embarrassingly bad, but this isn't Starcraft 2 or Diablo 3. Put some thought in your evaluation.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Brannock posted:

Overwatch is much more comparable to a fighting game in terms of how it treats the separation between gameplay and story than it is to World of Warcraft or dotalikes or something. The lore and stuff is there to give color to the characters and stages, but it (rightfully) has zero impact on actual gameplay.

The stuff they've put out have had varying levels of quality to them, and I didn't like the Symmetra comic much at all and I think they're mishandling Torbjörn, but I think it's silly to wholesale dismiss the output as Bad Writing like some hypercynical goons are doing. Yes, Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3 were embarrassingly bad, but this isn't Starcraft 2 or Diablo 3. Put some thought in your evaluation.

I did, and I still think it's bad sorry.

ZentraediElite
Oct 22, 2002

I know this is from a couple of pages back, but to me the lore goes out the window as soon as you have multiple of the same character on the same team or fighting against each other on separate teams.

The goofy results of this are a game I got stomped in where a team of 5 Roadhogs and 1 Lucio capped both points on Volskaya in less than 2 minutes.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Lady Naga posted:

Lucio sounding like an African-American and having zero Portuguese lines means that I don't have to deal with horrific racism though.

Eh, I still get that regardless so.

On the other hand it's very smart of them to not give Pharah lines in Arabic.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Dias posted:

(activates ult)

I'll never forget when I went to Paraty a couple years ago, some dude dropped a 6pack of beers at the beach and one of his friends screamed "ahhh, sua PORRA!".

I had to concentrate just to stop laughing.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Broken Cog posted:

Can you remember any of them? I seriously cant remember a single one.
Someone mentioned one from Tracer earlier, but I never play her, so I haven't really heard too many of hers. I honestly haven't even noticed them being in the game.

I've had a mcree voice line call out to me after I killed him with Pharah "Looks like your momma taught you how to shoot".

The mystery of Pharah's mom intensifies.

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?

Grammaton posted:

I found out Symmetra is a great counter to Roadhog. Just avoid his hook then run around him while keeping the beam connected and he goes down quick.

Where to place Symmetra's turrets is a fun little side game. Sneaky little crevices hiding lots of turrets, the enemy coming in and not knowing what the gently caress is damaging them. So fun.

This does not work if the Roadhog can aim. Once you're close enough to zap him, Roadhog will kill you quite a lot faster, in about two hits.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

Actually now that I think about it, in any of the voice quips does anyone actually talk about Pharah proper, or does everyone just talk about her friggin mom?

Overshadowed by a character that isn't even in the game :(

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
its gonna be cool when everyone chooses a side over the whole omnic thing and then theres going to be a ~huge civil war~ and then right after the battle everyones grumpy and some people get new skins and junk for story purposes and then when the chips are down and no ones got a purpose and everyones arguing within their faction it turns out the aliens and the gorillas are fighting and new alliances are formed thus giving a justification for everyone to fight each other over stupid garbage

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Evil Canadian posted:

I've had a mcree voice line call out to me after I killed him with Pharah "Looks like your momma taught you how to shoot".

The mystery of Pharah's mom intensifies.

Eh, I was certain it was dad 76 on your team that does that.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

you guys who want back stories for Overwatch canon are the same ones that hated Fury Road, aren't you

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

Hamburger Test posted:

Eh, I was certain it was dad 76 on your team that does that.

His line is "your mom would be proud" and she's like "naw", and that is when you are all starting the match up. It was for sure mcree who says the line when pharah kills him.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Brannock posted:

Counterpoint; Widowmaker and Dva.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009
What I miss most coming from TF2 is custom maps. Sometimes I just want to deathmatch on a low gravity map that is nothing more than a spinning cube of Half Life 2 textures.