Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

iGestalt posted:

I know that Blood and Wine is set after the main story and thus meant to be played post-game.

When is Hearts of Stone meant to be taken on? Post-game before B&W or some other time during the main story? Can't work it out, atm.

Play it anytime. Level recommendation is like 30+ I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

Play it anytime. Level recommendation is like 30+ I think.

I'm thinking story-wise, though. Like, when would it fit best, etc. Am I correct that Blood and Wine is best experienced post-main quest?

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

iGestalt posted:

I know that Blood and Wine is set after the main story and thus meant to be played post-game.

When is Hearts of Stone meant to be taken on? Post-game before B&W or some other time during the main story? Can't work it out, atm.

HoS can be played during or after the main story. There are a few lines of dialogue/character reactions that will happen if you play during, but nothing major. You probably won't be leveled enough until post-game though. Or until the very end of the main story when it will seem odd to skip out on all the people you've gathered.

Then again everyone would just think Geralt paused saving the world so he could go play Gwent somewhere.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
I swear to god the mountain the looms over the castle in Toussant is the best-looking thing I've ever seen in a video game.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

iGestalt posted:

I'm thinking story-wise, though. Like, when would it fit best, etc. Am I correct that Blood and Wine is best experienced post-main quest?

I'm not sure it matters. the main story reacts to HoS a bit and HoS reacts to the main story a bit, depending on the stage you are with each, so pretty much anytime 30+.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

skoolmunkee posted:

If you are on ps4 and couldn't get the first schematics because of a bugged chest, you should go back and get them. There's a great little addition that makes me sure it will be there for you.

I had to reload a couple times because of the portal, and the skeleton reloads each time you do... I guess cdpr is really really really really sorry (I have four now). Might be worth checking yourself if you need some cash money.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
I'm playing through the base game for the first time.

I know this thing is like the game of the last five years for a ton of people. While it seems like a decent game, I do not completely get the love, particularly on the PS4.

The load times are horrible. Lose a fight, and sit there for a minute or two watching a load screen.

But my biggest current issue is that at level 12, I'm in Novgarad (I think, some big city, and I've never been keen on generic fantasy names), and the game seems to have evolved to me running from point to point trigger cut scenes for some fucker named Dandelion that I actually kind of hate already, just from the description.

Honestly, I feel like I played for three hours yesterday, and in that time had one big fight (with interminable reloads when I lost said big fight 3-4 times) and about 2+ hours worth of "run to this woman, nope, she hasn't seen Dandelion, run to this woman, nope she hasn't seen Dandelion, oh, this one has seen Dandelion, run to this bath, cut scenes about some loving troll, hold Left Trigger to highight red poo poo and trigger more cutscenes about how it must have been a bomb that blew up a vault."

I'm not looking for Dark Souls here, but it seems very stagnant, and more like I'm being fed a lovely (well, good for games, but lovely for literature) story in slowly loading cut scenes.

Am I just in a bad/slow part of the game, or is this what the next 60 hours are going to be like as well?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

iGestalt posted:

Hearts of Stone can kind of adapt to being played either during or after the main story. There's at least one cool interaction you can only get if you do it before completing the main story, but that also relies on you making some specific choices towards the end of Hearts of Stone so you probably won't see it anyway. You're going to want to be at least level 30, ideally higher.

Blood and Wine's story definitely makes more sense as a post-main story thing, but Hearts of Stone works either way.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Is there a way to use the guest room? I expected something more from it than just being pretty.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

SlyFrog posted:

Am I just in a bad/slow part of the game, or is this what the next 60 hours are going to be like as well?
Novigrad was absolutely the worst part of the game for me, just push through and go out ?-hunting in the countryside if you need a breathe of fresh air.

The Good Queen Clitoris
May 11, 2008

You raised my hopes and dashed them quite expertly, bravo sir!

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

multicultural team, not just polish

Out of curiosity what language is spoken in the office? I would assume Polish, but English seems to be the big go to for multicultural stuff these days.

E: also shout out to you and the team for doing such a fabulous job on The Witcher 3.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

SlyFrog posted:

I know this thing is like the game of the last five years for a ton of people. While it seems like a decent game, I do not completely get the love, particularly on the PS4.

The load times are horrible. Lose a fight, and sit there for a minute or two watching a load screen.

But my biggest current issue is that at level 12, I'm in Novgarad (I think, some big city, and I've never been keen on generic fantasy names), and the game seems to have evolved to me running from point to point trigger cut scenes for some fucker named Dandelion that I actually kind of hate already, just from the description.

Honestly, I feel like I played for three hours yesterday, and in that time had one big fight (with interminable reloads when I lost said big fight 3-4 times) and about 2+ hours worth of "run to this woman, nope, she hasn't seen Dandelion, run to this woman, nope she hasn't seen Dandelion, oh, this one has seen Dandelion, run to this bath, cut scenes about some loving troll, hold Left Trigger to highight red poo poo and trigger more cutscenes about how it must have been a bomb that blew up a vault."

I'm not looking for Dark Souls here, but it seems very stagnant, and more like I'm being fed a lovely (well, good for games, but lovely for literature) story in slowly loading cut scenes.

That sequence where you track down Dandelion's lady friends is a great example of what's so great about this game: that one mission splits off into at least two seperate side stories, introduces you to some new characters of minor importance, you get to go hang out with the Not-Nazi General and race horses and then there's that sexy rich girl who wants you to teach her fencing.

I thought that sequence was really great because I was constantly meeting new and interesting characters. The fencing girl in particular is a sequence I really liked, because the writing, performances and the set-up and reveal of the twist were clever, precisely because they played on my expectations of video games in some ways. To be specific, you don't know the girls are twins at first, so when you go downstairs after being ordered to, you meet the woman you just met, and think oh well that's just because the game loaded her down there to be the quest marker. Then it's revealed that she was always a totally separate person! Too bad I murdered some dudes who were harassing her and she got butt hurt and we broke up.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

SlyFrog posted:

I'm in Novgarad

Am I just in a bad/slow part of the game

Yes. The singleplayer campaign is really stellar except for Novigrad. That was the one and only part in the whole game where I felt confused (too many names to remember, and for some reason lots of characters are referred to by 2 or 3 names) and kinda bored. It gets better immediately afterwards.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

iGestalt posted:

HotS is set 2/3rds into the main story. BaW is set after the main story.

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos
I suck at this game or something. I switched to alternate movement and it still feels like trash, and in combat I move so slow and have the hardest time avoiding attacks. I found some camp of bad guys in the starting area and they consistently gently caress my poo poo up because my characters moves like he is stuck in quick sand. Is there something I am failing to realize that enables me to move at normal speed during combat?

Edit: So somehow I just did some extremely cool poo poo where I dodged a guys attack then cut his arm off in slow motion and hosed those four guys up Ninja Gaiden style by accident. How do I get more of this on purpose?

rally fucked around with this message at 17:56 on May 31, 2016

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
You can still sprint while in combat, and rolling covers a good distance, but you also lunge forward a good amount while attacking. Also dodge a lot.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

rally posted:

I suck at this game or something. I switched to alternate movement and it still feels like trash, and in combat I move so slow and have the hardest time avoiding attacks. I found some camp of bad guys in the starting area and they consistently gently caress my poo poo up because my characters moves like he is stuck in quick sand. Is there something I am failing to realize that enables me to move at normal speed during combat?

Edit: So somehow I just did some extremely cool poo poo where I dodged a guys attack then cut his arm off in slow motion and hosed those four guys up Ninja Gaiden style by accident. How do I get more of this on purpose?

Use dodge when fighting humans and most smaller enemies and roll with enemies that have a long reach(such as being able to leap at you and general lunging).

Use bombs and aard to stun most enemies so you can pummel them, back off after striking most enemies 2 or 3 times cause they will counter you.

You could also try parrying but it's pretty difficult to pull off without a lot of practice, I never managed to master it even after like 160 hours in the game.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Has the UI changed enough to make KB+M playable? I remember last time I tried Witcher 3 using KB+M was fine in the main game but a hot bag of hell in menus and such.

(I'd try myself but I'm off to work, rip)

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

SlyFrog posted:

If you aren't digging the narrative the game might not be for you, but did you enjoy yourself before it got to Dandelion? The narrative isn't one-note so if you've enjoyed yourself before there are likely parts of the game to come you will enjoy as well.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Hark, somebody doesn't like the Crimson Avenger?!?

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

JaucheCharly posted:

Hark, somebody doesn't like the Crimson Avenger?!?

More like the Crimson rear end in a top hat.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

Deakul posted:

You could also try parrying but it's pretty difficult to pull off without a lot of practice, I never managed to master it even after like 160 hours in the game.
Parrying (and the follow-up counterattack) is just timing your block at the correct time when the attack indicator lights up similar to how it works in the Batman Arkham Asylum series. It's how anyone can beat pretty much any opponent on any difficulty in fist fighting one on one without needing to dodge or roll. I thought this was explained pretty ok in the tutorial at the beginning of the game? If you have to, you can always go back to ol' Vesemir and keep blocking and blocking for the achievement.

This guy's guide is really helpful if you're having problems with sword combat mechanics and explains why you get hit when you thought you were ok:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPqKqTdkh4E

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

rally posted:

Make sure you're not holding down block. You move way slower and you're ironically way more vulnerable. Look for a red flash around the name and health of an enemy when they go to attack you and quickly tap block in order to perform counters. Use yrden. Use yrden a lot. In fact use it all the time. Slowing people down is incredibly handy. It's much better than spamming quen.

e:fb

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Crappy Jack posted:

More like the Crimson rear end in a top hat.

The only correct answer.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Deakul posted:

The parry window is literally the entire enemy attack animation/time their health bar is flashing red. I am not good at video games and I've never had any trouble with it.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 19:14 on May 31, 2016

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

necrobobsledder posted:

Parrying (and the follow-up counterattack) is just timing your block at the correct time when the attack indicator lights up similar to how it works in the Batman Arkham Asylum series. It's how anyone can beat pretty much any opponent on any difficulty in fist fighting one on one without needing to dodge or roll. I thought this was explained pretty ok in the tutorial at the beginning of the game? If you have to, you can always go back to ol' Vesemir and keep blocking and blocking for the achievement.

This guy's guide is really helpful if you're having problems with sword combat mechanics and explains why you get hit when you thought you were ok:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPqKqTdkh4E

Sindai posted:

The parry window is literally the entire enemy attack animation/time their health bar is flashing red. Unless the attack itself is extremely fast you have all the time in the world to parry. I am genuinely confused at how anyone could have trouble with it.

How have I never noticed any indicators? :doh:

I already beat the base game too and I'm still learning things apparently hah!

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Haha, your house attendant is called Basil Fawlty. Nice.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Combat is super easy when you just Aard fools down and pick them off one by one with insta-kill stabs.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

So yeah horse racing is even more broken in BaW, race won't even start for me after reload or restart :( oh well, there are like a billion more things to do in the meantime.

Paper Planes
Mar 23, 2013
I seem to have run into that glitch on NG+ (on the PS4) where I get negative experience at level 70, I need 2000xp to get to Level 71 and I'm currently on -15,000. so doesn't look like I'm getting there any time soon. Do many of the main or secondary quests for Blood and Wine go above this level? I know some areas are basically blocked off for me as I've seen some level 77 enemies roaming around!

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Quote-Unquote posted:

So yeah horse racing is even more broken in BaW, race won't even start for me after reload or restart :( oh well, there are like a billion more things to do in the meantime.

I've had zero issues with horse racing, both with the patch alone and now with blood and wine. Something might be up with your install or mods or something.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

That Bossfight vs Dietleff sure was something. I'd liked a checkpoint to be honest

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend
drat, no fooling around with enemy upscaling toggled on. It's like the first fight ever in Witcher 2 all the time.

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

Anyone else having issues with Corvo Bianco upgrades not actually happening after Basil says they have? Pretty annoying to drop so much gold and nothing happens. Otherwise this expansion is amazing

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Does anyone know if the expansion includes any Ekimmaras? Still need the mutagen for a decoction.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Damnit. I downloaded BaW, but then I stupidly clicked on it in the DLC tab in the Galaxy Client, thinking that it would give me a dropdown with more detail about it. It just unchecked the box and uninstalled the DLC. loving have to download it all over again.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

hopterque posted:

I've had zero issues with horse racing, both with the patch alone and now with blood and wine. Something might be up with your install or mods or something.

I'm on ps4 so no mods. Would a reinstall help on console?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
How do I git gud at gwent? Are there cards early on that are must haves and is anything gwent related missable by advancing the plot?

MMF Freeway fucked around with this message at 20:56 on May 31, 2016

Puckish Rogue
Jun 24, 2010

did i just win a fistfight via fruity rap battle?

GOTY again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Man Skellige is so cool. It's like a Celtish/Norse mashup!