Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Gotcha. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

simble
May 11, 2004

You could also file with any of the 3 departures from KINT with a GSO transition.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

simble posted:

You could also file with any of the 3 departures from KINT with a GSO transition.

...And if you don't file one of them, real ATC would just amend your clearance and make you fly one of them, anyway.

:haw:

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

http://i.imgur.com/EOI1SGU.gifv

Ughhghgh I can't wait for 1-3 years down the line when VR poo poo like this is fleshed out and not super-prototype anymore

Phi230 fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Jun 1, 2016

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Ahaha what the gently caress sort of little Trump hands are those supposed to be?

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Agreed that looks awful. Imagine having to focus on your hands and double check you flicked a switch. Pilots need split second reactions that's why hotas and huds were developed.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

I wonder how much haptic feedback you need to really make this work. Rotary knobs are probably more difficult but for buttons and switches, having just a bit of pressure on the fingertip might be enough to tell you that you're touching something. It might even be enough to feel your way through a row of knobs and find the third one, for example. Of course it might not work at all, I'm just speculating.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, without a real button panel, you're better off just binding everything you actually need after engine on to your hotas. I hope you like flying warbirds :v:

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

This is the same problem with touch screen devices too. Unless you're looking at the actual button (or near as makes no difference) its very hard to find a specific point in 3d space without a tactile response to guide you. I just can't see how complex clickable VR cockpits will work without it.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Incredibly basic warbirds. Trying to do any of the hands off stuff in a DCS plane like using the UFC would be a loving nightmare.

Also lol using that for civilian sims. The knobs on a real aviation radio are tiny.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Literally no fun allowed

gently caress yall im going home

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, if you're looking at it, it's actually really easy to hit things in VR (I guess in no small part thanks to stereo 3d), and at least with the vive, haptic feedback makes it feel almost natural. But if you're not actively looking at the button you're trying to hit, it's not going to happen without collateral damage, exact same issue as touch displays.

EvilJoven posted:

Incredibly basic warbirds.

Eh, a mustang needs throttle, prop pitch, supercharger stage, radiator, flaps, rudder, gear, and a joystick with 2-3 triggers once you're in the air. Even the most basic hotas around has enough buttons these days I think.

As soon as you move past world war 2 or something like a sabre/mig-15 level, it's over though. Definitely hoping we get some sort of force feedback for button panels in VR eventually.

EvilJoven posted:

Also lol using that for civilian sims. The knobs on a real aviation radio are tiny.

That's just the thing, the vive controllers track incredibly well. The entire issue is that haptic feedback alone isn't enough unless you're looking at something. Well, that and the stupid glove models in DCS often act terrible, but that's more a DCS issue. Beyond that, it's incredible how easy it is to hit the tiniest things with the controllers on the first try. You just reach out and grab it.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
You could use Voice Attack or something similar to help, especially in a plane that would normally have a co-pilot.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

It's great people managed to update the stock FSX fix and navaids database. One thing's that bugging me is the outdated airspaces. Is anyone aware of any initiative to update those? I only found one project limited to the UK, and it seems airspaces air particulary difficult, as they're all baked into a single world .bgl file.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
What would people suggest for a progression of planes? I know the "lessons" missions go from Trike Ultralight > Piper Cub > C172 > Glider > CRJ-700, but I'm curious where I should go in Free Flight if I'm comfortable with the C172.
Something stock, preferably. Maybe a twin prop like the King Air 350? I guess that would introduce some extra features without going full-jetliner like a Boeing.

By the way, I'd just like to say that a) I'm awful at trimming, abd b) I'm loving awful at the glider mission. :(

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Honestly if you want progression you should go stock 172 > A2A 172.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Daimo posted:

Honestly if you want progression you should go stock 172 > A2A 172.

I've done that :unsmith:

The A2A 172 is brilliant. I've still got plenty of flying to do in that.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

I really like the Aerosoft Twin Otter. It's not too big a step from a Cessna but adds a bit more complexity and engine management. And it's fun to fly. And it has a great built-in checklist menu system.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

COOL CORN posted:

There's some really good video on YouTube about VOR navigation and basic airmanship built around FSX. Look at people prepping for PilotEdge exams. Do some of that.

Or set a goal like I'm going to start in London and fly my Cessna all around the British Isles via GPS. Or fly Ontario California to somewhere in New York.

Eventually you will get a weather engine for your flight sim and start seeking out bad weather, or get into the Vatsim or PilotEdge scene.

Edit
+1 the Twottter

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Jonny Nox posted:

There's some really good video on YouTube about VOR navigation and basic airmanship built around FSX. Look at people prepping for PilotEdge exams. Do some of that.

Or set a goal like I'm going to start in London and fly my Cessna all around the British Isles via GPS. Or fly Ontario California to somewhere in New York.

Eventually you will get a weather engine for your flight sim and start seeking out bad weather, or get into the Vatsim or PilotEdge scene.

Edit
+1 the Twottter

PilotEdge vids look good. I'm always looking for good instructional videos on Youtube.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
The Aerosoft Twin Otter is fun as gently caress. The Autopilot is kinda janky basic and old school, the cockpit layout is weird as soon as you look away from the 6 pack and the engines need a bunch of finesse because the PT6A doesn't like to be rushed but does like to catch fire if you dont treat it right.

All of this combines to make it super fun to fly, especially if you find the bone stock FSX planes with a 6 pack and a bendix stack boring after a while.

It's also a STOL amphibian and even if it isn't terribly realistic I love flying amphibians in flight simulators.

I hear the RealAir Turbine Duke is also great, has engine failures if you don't treat em right and is quite the sports car. Thinking of getting it if it goes on sale.

EDIT: There should be like a master list of planes that actually have more realistic failure states and management requirements. Hooning it up in the Carenado 337 and the Flight Replicas Super Cubs is fun for a bit but when there's nothing to break it can get pretty dull.

So far from what I have:

All A2A Planes.
Aerosoft Twin Otter (Engine management, can be turned on or off)

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jun 6, 2016

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Can confirm that the Turbine Duke has engine failures. Fire alarm goes out pretty quick if you take off engines blaring.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
The Turbo Duke is my favorite GA plane in FSX.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Ok then I would find a nice twin engine Carenado aircraft you like for your next step.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Colonial Air Force posted:

The Turbo Duke is my favorite GA plane in FSX.

The Duke, turbine or otherwise, is pretty much the definition of sexy personal-use twin.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Turns out Combat Air Patrol 2 is an unmitigated disaster

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Dang the Duke looks hella good, gonna save up my lunch money for that.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Phi230 posted:

Oh my god. 33% on Steam.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

Phi230 posted:

Jesus Christ. Why can't we have nice things?

EDIT: seriously I'm just about at the point where I regret spending so much on my Warthog. It was fun for a bit but after tooling around trying to find the fun in DCS, being frustrated (and never all that interested in the F-16) to the point of quitting on BMS and the disaster that has been the new IL-2s it seems like such a waste. What I've been doing with flight sims this past year could easily be done with a CH Yoke at 1/3rd the cost.

Maybe those space combat sims that are on the horizon (not Star Citizen that is going to fail and be funny) will be fun for shooting dudes.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jun 6, 2016

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

EvilJoven posted:

Jesus Christ. Why can't we have nice things?

hey bro it's early acess please calm your tits bro..I mean the developer doesn't say in the the EA file that it's all broken and needs a lot of poo poo.. and for $30 you bet your rear end you would expect something that didn't have the bugs listed in the first few reviews. But its' early access brah.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

COOL CORN posted:

I'm curious where I should go in Free Flight if I'm comfortable with the C172.

A good step would be something faster with retractable gear and a constant speed prop. A Bonanza for example. The Baron is also a good choice. It's a twin, but twins fly like fast singles, until you lose an engine anyway.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
The A2A Comanche is also a fun complex plane. Slower than a Bonanza but it's all the fun of a complex aircraft with all the cool A2A stuff that comes with it.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

CAP 2 bad? :smithicide:

Pryce
May 21, 2011

hannibal posted:

Were they? I never really looked at them. Are they any good?

A couple of the later lessons are completely broken in FSX:SE, but overall they're good. Just be aware that if a lessons starts randomly failing you, there's likely a bug in it. Googling will give varied results and suggestions for how to pass them, but they are hit/miss as far as whether you've actually learned the skill vs. are just cheesing it to get past it.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Megadyptes posted:

CAP 2 bad? :smithicide:

Watching a livestream it looks horrendous. Nothing in the cockpit actually functions, let alone have any clickable aspects to it. . The game looks like it was released like 6 years ago on a console.

The overall avionics are Arma 2 level, honestly. You lock on with a button (default is tab I think?), all contacts show up on the hud as green squares. Its somehow even more simplistic than Ace Combat or Strike Fighters.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
W E L P

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Haha that's amazingly bad sounding, even by casual flight game standards.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

COOL CORN posted:

Does this ever go on sale? $50 for one plane, man ...

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

AnimalChin posted:

Does this ever go on sale? $50 for one plane, man ...

I had some money burning a hole in my PayPal account, but I've heard it does go on sale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

Checking my gmail archives I apparently bought the 172 for 37.49 USD so I guess it was on sale back in May 2015.

Phi230 posted:

Watching a livestream it looks horrendous. Nothing in the cockpit actually functions, let alone have any clickable aspects to it. . The game looks like it was released like 6 years ago on a console.

The overall avionics are Arma 2 level, honestly. You lock on with a button (default is tab I think?), all contacts show up on the hud as green squares. Its somehow even more simplistic than Ace Combat or Strike Fighters.

Flight sims are now dead to me.