Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Visidan posted:

Please post your commander frontline ele build, a bunch of us are interested in it. Unless it's a secret, ofcourse. :mmmhmm:

Indeed it is, especially since we're up against Maguuma this week :)

But I can at least offer my personal advice on the posted Ele build. I'm familiar with the Staff Air/Water/Tempest build, its more of a roaming build and I switch to it if I need to venture into WvW alone and like take a camp but don't want it to take forever nor want to get jumped and one-shot. And I see the assumption is that everyone in the group has done sufficient Auric Basin runs to pickup their Durability Runes, which is the main reason why you think you can drop the Earth line, which is fine. And I'm assuming the gear listed is more of a guideline of suggestions rather than exactly what you should be running.

Problem 1: Bolt to the Heart is PvE nonsense. That should be switched to Lightning Rod. The interaction between Lightning Rod and Tempest Defence, including the relevant Staff skills (Air 3, Air 5, Earth 4) have all been fixed (or patched well enough to make it more useful in WvW). The spike damage is better in the majority of cases, even in sustained fights (e.g. if the Enemies are below 50% health to the point where that matters, your teammates are probably also that low and you should be healing anyways). Not to mention the Shocking Aura you're proccing as you run through the frontline trying to get hit.

Problem 2: This is minor, but running Gale Song over Unstable Conduit is preferred self sustain and team support. Finishing overloads in WvW is rare and sometimes unnecessary, but the upside to that automatic Eye of the Storm is too good in WvW. This Tempest 323 setup comes from the sPvP build, but while Gale Song can be played around by the opposing team/single sPvP opponent, in WvW it can swing skirmishes from a loss to a win, especially when you get good enough to choose when to proc it.

Problem 3: Sigils. This is the biggest :raise: and where this build loses it's identity. Dodge juice management is not the main issue with this build. You could save so many more lives with, like, anything else. Renewal, Transference, hell even Water and/or Cleansing as budget options. And Accuracy is just like whatever, depends on the gear and playstyle. But these sigils feel like a relic of pre-HoT Arcane builds, where you needed to take care of your Endurance and crit chance, but that's just not the case for the modern Tempest.

edit: it's called Sigil of Renewal

AnacondaHL fucked around with this message at 18:48 on May 31, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lonk
Jan 26, 2012

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO
Don has half of the proper ele rotation down; the other half is pressing f12 to log back out and switch to a better class.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

drat he wouldn't give up the build, all our plans ruined! We need to create a spy on his server, a cute, young ele to befriend the wvw leader and try to pry out the secrets.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

AnacondaHL posted:

Indeed it is, especially since we're up against Maguuma this week :)

what a bad post

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
TBH I wasn't expecting anything other than a gutless theory craft post with no build, big surprise. Sack up and post this incredible ele build that saves lives, you can even PM it if you're embarrassed. I promise I won't share it with the other commanders here to force DBs K:D ratio even further under 0.8

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010
Y'all take PvDoor real seriously.

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
I think you mean PvForum

in other news, no patch today the new wings will be on the gemstore tomorrow

Lonk
Jan 26, 2012

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO

Hope you like desert borderlands!

Roc
Nov 8, 2010

Lonk posted:

Hope you like desert borderlands!

:barf:

edit: why is there no option for no desert borderland at all?

Roc fucked around with this message at 20:39 on May 31, 2016

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i feel like some people didn't play on the desert borderlands after the big spring update, because they were massively improved and it sucks that they're not in the game right now

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
They improved it but there's more to be done, I'm sure by the time we see it again it will be vastly changed. Maybe there's a smoosh tool in their map editor to make it flatter.

Anyway that poll is no good, this is way more important. https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/GuildWars2Merchandise

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

at the very least the increased playercount did a lot towards taking care of the problem of it being way too large

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
True, I'm open to it but it's going to be a hard sell

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
It'll be like every other gw2 update/change. It will be awful for a long time, and anet devs will slowly crank away at something such that when it does get fixed it'll have been a long time coming.

treizebee
Dec 30, 2011

Stage 3 oil injection

Sure but not in a GvG 15v15 comp.

Not that it matters anymore 😞

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
There were a bunch last week just not in OS, you were too busy finding the cheesiest ranger build to notice m8.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

I need to either buy the expansion or an account jesus

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Visidan posted:

TBH I wasn't expecting anything other than a gutless theory craft post with no build, big surprise. Sack up and post this incredible ele build that saves lives, you can even PM it if you're embarrassed. I promise I won't share it with the other commanders here to force DBs K:D ratio even further under 0.8

no sack for you!

also lol at bringing up K/D ratio it's like middle school CS1.6 all over again :thumbsup:

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

AnacondaHL posted:

no sack for you!

also lol at bringing up K/D ratio it's like middle school CS1.6 all over again :thumbsup:

treizebee
Dec 30, 2011

Stage 3 oil injection

Visidan posted:

There were a bunch last week just not in OS, you were too busy finding the cheesiest ranger build to notice m8.

Please, I was already making that cheese *before* you linked me to metabadle.

check out my Youtube
May 26, 2006

Satan's on my side
and you wanna brawl?
When the Devil comes
you better heed his Quall

AnacondaHL posted:

no sack for you!

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

a secret elementalist build so powerful it'd imbalance wvw if it was released to the masses

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Lonk
Jan 26, 2012

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO

Thanks to all the goons who helped me out along the way and a huuuuge shoutout to Don for shaving weeks off my farming =D

lol.

Lonk fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jun 1, 2016

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Wait I'm confused what's this about Kraft Dinner ratios

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Shout-outs to Don for being literally the best dentist ever, maybe even the best goon of ALL TIME.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Don est mon papa Français

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QVVpx-qQv8

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008

Finally, someone else who understands fashion.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

RNG adventures are the loving worst

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Xun posted:

adventures are the loving worst

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008
Some goons have been asking in chat for Stronghold tips. I'll note that this loose collection of tips is made with lower rank play in mind, so I can't promise that it'll hold up much past Sapphire/Ruby.

-(Attempt to) talk with your team before the round starts and find out who's doing what and make sure all of your bases are covered. Typical split is to have two people clear the way for your breakers, one person to guard them, and at least one person to kill the other team's breakers, either by going after them directly or trebbing them into mush if there's an ele sitting on them. If someone states their intent to run supplies, try to redirect them into one of the other tasks.

-DO NOT RUN SUPPLIES. Having someone do this pulls them off of one of the other tasks and only increases the likelihood that you'll actually need to do it. The only time you should ever bother with supplies is if there are no guards up, the enemy team still has intact doors, and you have no active breakers; or if you need your treb back up right now and can't wait for the automatic respawn. If neither of the above situations is true DO NOT RUN SUPPLIES.

- Use your initial supply to summon a breaker at the start before running off to your chosen task. Some people will insist on wasting a supply or two on archers to kill the first set of guards to free some of your team up to waste time brawling pointlessly in mid. These people are idiots. Unless the other team is composed entirely of cross-eyed Rhesus monkeys who make no attempt at defense, they'll rip right through your 1-ply tissue paper archers out of hand and what breakers you do have will take that much longer to chew through the gates, giving the other team more opportunities to take them down.

-Speaking of archers, the only time you should ever bother with them is if there are no gates up, you're already by the summoning gates, and you already have supplies in hand from beating up other players. Don't bother with them otherwise.

-DO NOT RUN SUPPLIES.

- If you're on offense, your first priority is to take down the other team's guards, then make sure there's nobody hanging around their treb; if there's nobody on it, don't worry about destroying it. After that, double back and help guard your breakers until they get to the door, then stand by while they melt it. Once it's down rush through and hit the next set of guards with everything you can. If you're quick, and especially if you're not alone, you can take them down before they can pull the breakers to them and one-shot the lot of them. Once they're dealt with, proceed onward to take down the vet guards by the Lord's door. If you're quick about killing all of the guards, your initial set of five breakers will be more than sufficient to take you all the way to the end, rendering any supply collection superfluous.

-If you're on defense, remember to spend your supply. Don't run off like an idiot. Next, take one of the side paths in mid to get down to your lane, but hold back for a moment to let the other team engage your guards so you can slip by them without them seeing you, because they will never turn around to look. Next, check the other team's door breakers. If they're not guarded, or if they're not guarded by a class that's actually suited for the job, smash 'em. If they're being babysat by an ele, fall back to your treb and start hammering them into mush the moment they're close enough to hit without charging the shot. If you're not alone on defense and the treb is taken, run interference so they can focus on smashing the breakers. If the other team is a bunch of idiots and are relying on archers to do the job for them, kill the archers and leave the breakers for the guards. Your number one priority is to get the breakers down, once they're down you're free to disengage if you're getting pressed; heroes take ages to bash through doors, and archers are basically dead weight against anything other than guards.

-DO NOT RUN SUPPLIES.

-Heroes are nice, but not much on their own. They're tough, but they take a while to get through doors on their own, so don't rely on just them for your offense. You'll be encountering Ossa the most, but do check up on what the other heroes do(Tybalt is great against condi-heavy teams). As for the channel, damage alone won't knock you out of it, so if you have a decent source of stability you can often pop it and finish the channel before the other team can force off.

-If both teams are turtling hard and it looks like it's going to go down to a score decision, the best way to run up the score is to take out the guards by the other team's unit spawn and focus on getting off hero channels.

-DO NOT RUN SUPPLIES.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. Let me know if there's any glaring omissions, or if there are any questions. I'm hardly an expert, but the above as largely served me well.

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016
Run supplies?

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

You guys are the best :3:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I'm gonna run supplies next time, ty

check out my Youtube
May 26, 2006

Satan's on my side
and you wanna brawl?
When the Devil comes
you better heed his Quall
-DO NOT PLAY STRONGHOLD.

Lonk
Jan 26, 2012

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO
https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/4lx2gx/may_31_new_wvw_poll/d3qwc2f

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/for...xed-Borderlands

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Impressive valley on that preview.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DonVincenzo
Nov 12, 2010

Super Monster
The Absolute Guardian of the Universe
Friend of All Children

Lonk posted:

Thanks to all the goons who helped me out along the way and a huuuuge shoutout to Don for shaving weeks off my farming =D

Enjoy buddy! While my means are not limitless I'm always happy to help.

• Locked thread