Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

poty posted:

are you reading the same android whitewashing posts im reading

Man. So, set an alarm on the stock clock app on my 6P running bog-standard M. I've used this app for this purpose many times before. So imagine my unpleasant chagrin when it refused to stop alarming this morning. Hitting either snooze or shutting the alarm off from the app did nothing. Ditto from the notification shade. Swiping it out of the multi-task view? Still alarming.

The wait/kill pop up spawned a few times. Neither option stopped it. 

Ended up having to power the phone down. I gotta say; that's a rotten way to be forced out of bed to go back to work after a three-day weekend. I just wanted ten more minutes 

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
the apple II however allowed me to play all of those minnesota educational computing consortium games like number munchers and spellevator and oregon trail

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

loved number muncher

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

BONGHITZ posted:

loved number muncher

remember that number muncher was so good that Square 1 Television on PBS did a segment MathMan that emulated it, right?

wasnt that supposed to be a number muncher knockoff?

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Sniep posted:

remember that number muncher was so good that Square 1 Television on PBS did a segment MathMan that emulated it, right?

Team Glitch

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
thats numberwang

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Sniep posted:

yes and the noises were loving SCARY

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Sniep posted:

Mathman was a Pac-Man parody, but with math, because it was on an educational show about math.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
i remember mathnet being pretty good

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

fishmech posted:

it was a bad computer by then

Hmm. Actually, it was good

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Sniep posted:

the apple II however allowed me to play all of those minnesota educational computing consortium games like number munchers and spellevator and oregon trail

:same:

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

graph posted:

i remember mathnet being pretty good
same, i bet it still holds up

burning swine
May 26, 2004

PleasureKevin posted:

it's like star citizen but for real life devices and services that you're supposed to be able to count on.

huh

that's actually a pretty good way of framing it

thx kevin, i have received pleasure

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

graph posted:

yes and the noises were loving SCARY

i got so mad at mathman when he would guess the stupidest wrong answer every loving time

like, on the easiest questions but then he got the hard ones right???????????? ???????

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

anthonypants posted:

same, i bet it still holds up

spot reg cathay

KidVanguard
Jan 27, 2006

American Diaper
i don't understand steve jobs approach to computer games. games were pretty integral to the popularity of the apple ii and a big reason kids got into computing and programming. but the macintosh abandoned games and the developers and was even actively hostile towards some of them (id). it was very easy for microsoft to swoop in and take that segment.

games are super popular on iOS too so i don't get way jobs hated games so much on his beloved mac.

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
there are no games on ios because there cannot be games on ios, by definition

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

what is a game

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

KidVanguard posted:

i don't understand steve jobs approach to computer games. games were pretty integral to the popularity of the apple ii and a big reason kids got into computing and programming. but the macintosh abandoned games and the developers and was even actively hostile towards some of them (id). it was very easy for microsoft to swoop in and take that segment.

games are super popular on iOS too so i don't get way jobs hated games so much on his beloved mac.

google "Halo", a well-known game that Jobs backed and MS bought

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

PleasureKevin posted:

google "Halo", a well-known game that Jobs backed and MS bought

exactly, steve jobs didn't care about games enough

KidVanguard posted:

remember that this was steve jobs' demand for the original macintosh keyboard, and which was shipped with macs in the early years:

notice how there are no arrow keys and almost no other keys besides letters and numbers. this is because, according to jobs, using a mouse with one butan obsoleted all those other keys!!

but it was not only hostile to games, it was also hostile to most business use etc, and quite possibly has a lot do with why Macs never got huge usage, even considering all the other horrible aspects of macs

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

fishmech posted:

exactly, steve jobs didn't care about games enough

remember that this was steve jobs' demand for the original macintosh keyboard, and which was shipped with macs in the early years:

notice how there are no arrow keys and almost no other keys besides letters and numbers. this is because, according to jobs, using a mouse with one butan obsoleted all those other keys!!

but it was not only hostile to games, it was also hostile to most business use etc, and quite possibly has a lot do with why Macs never got huge usage, even considering all the other horrible aspects of macs

are you suggesting that steve jobs was not an infallible genius? horrors! :monocle:

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

KidVanguard posted:

video games and video card drivers are the buggiest, lowest quality software available and will not taint his perfect computers

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

KidVanguard posted:

jobs was very clearly obsessed with image. look at the way he carefully constructed an image for himself personally. he wanted to do the same thing with his computers. for a long time apple had this carefully cultivated image as the machine for serious, adult creatives like digital artists, photographers, editors, etc. putting a children's diversion like video games on that platform would taint the image. being seen with a mac should mean to people that you are a talented and professional creator of content.

then at some point steve finally realized that he could sell a billion computers by just making them look sexier than pc laptops and now everyone has macbooks, but all the resources of advancing gaming tech were already focused on PC so at this point devs arent particularly motivated to port poo poo over since anyone who can afford a macbook probably has a console and will just by that version of their game.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
macbooks and consoles are for stupid people

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

computer games are a lovely market to chase, the customers who really care about them are horrible people and there are barely enough of them to keep stand-alone video cards as a healthy business in the first place, amd would be out of business without consoles and nvidia owes its continued existence to selling 100000000 tegra chips

also apple had abandoned the original mac keyboard by 1986 for one with arrow keys and a numpad

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
"macs don't do games" is just a side effect of "doing games is really hard if you want control over your platform", especially in the 90s

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
that doesn't follow because they could still have standardized on a single video card to control the platform with and provide support only for that model, but they didn't because 3d graphics wasn't something they were interested in.

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET
did performa macs and other pre-osx nonsense let you put in graphics and sound cards?

i wonder if that was the hinge?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
also remember they were still on the unbelievably terrible ppc poo poo so finding a vendor to make a working gpu for them was probably next to impossible.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Shaggar posted:

that doesn't follow because they could still have standardized on a single video card to control the platform with and provide support only for that model, but they didn't because 3d graphics wasn't something they were interested in.

when video cards were being obsoleted less than a year after release that's kind of a hard sell

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

saying they're "obsessed with image" is just putting negative-sounding spin on "did marketing", as in researched a market segment and produced a product to suit it. computers are used for running vending machines, operating signage, running cash registers, you name it. you can throw the concept of marketing away and try fight in all those markets, no matter how low-margin, or you can carve out a target market and try appeal to that. Microsoft had a strong foothold in gaming with Direct X, it was better to side-step that market and find another.

they don't have the same entrenched competitor in mobile and there's a big focus on games there, so much that they made Metal and GameKit.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Triglav posted:

did performa macs and other pre-osx nonsense let you put in graphics and sound cards?

i wonder if that was the hinge?

yeah, but add-in video cards for video games wasnt really a thing until the mid-late 90s.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

then at some point steve finally realized that he could sell a billion computers by just making them look sexier than pc laptops and now everyone has macbooks,

lol no they don't. macbooks don't even crack 15% of laptops sold let alone those in use

all macintosh computers ever sold since 1984 remains slightly less than the number of windows computers sold last year. and incidentally, only slightly more than the number of iphones sold last year

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Shaggar posted:

3d graphics wasn't something they were interested in.

this really seems to be a thing at apple and i dunno why, exactly. sure there have been 3d modeling programs for the mac os, but all of the serious big names are either still windows-only (solidworks, pro/engineer, catia) or have only released a token/beta mac version in the last couple of years (autocad, alias, rhino). even maya didn't get an apple version until 3.5 and that was because they did a minimum-effort port of the IRIX version after os 10.1 came out

so it's 2d work, not 3d. and final cut pro used to be the king of the hill in video and film, but apple killed the professional market for that too for some inexplicable reason

so it's always been "apples are best for GRAPHICS!" but they really mean "apples are best for print media!" and even that isn't true any more now that the adobe suite is developed primarily for windows

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

people seldom talk about the stuff that's available for Mac and not Windows. Sketch is much better than photoshop or illustrator for UI design stuff, really popular now in small to medium sized web companies. Pixelmator, Acorn and half a dozen other stripped-down photoshop replacements that don't require a subscription. Hype and Rapidweaver for web stuff.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

just being a less obnoxious OS makes apple still the default choice for most designers even though the applications they use are mostly identical [although sketch is mac only]

like I still don't understand how windows can be so bad at basic stuff like wifi and multiple monitors

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET
steve job thought sony vaio were beautiful

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

qirex posted:

just being a less obnoxious OS makes apple still the default choice for most designers even though the applications they use are mostly identical [although sketch is mac only]

like I still don't understand how windows can be so bad at basic stuff like wifi and multiple monitors

i have no problems with wifi or multiple monitors on my windows machines?

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Triglav posted:

steve job thought sony vaio were beautiful

well they were

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
mac was supposed to be called "bicycle" to the point where the entire product team pushed back on steve and he threw a gigantic tantrum over it

• Locked thread