Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Louisgod posted:

I think it's cool how the only people that think traditionally blue states are going to go red this cycle are Trump supporters. Please by all means set yourself up for disappointment, it'll make the election night breakdowns that much better.

Realistically I'd expect the toss-up states like Florida and Ohio to flip back to red but it won't be enough. Somebody on here said that Oregon is at play which is a hearty lol and shows how delusional people are.

Can't wait for the whitepeoplemourningtrump tumblr after this election.

And Florida won't flip...Ohio might, but Trump will be too busy throwing money at California and New York because his delusions have led him to believe he can actually win them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Even now, at the height of Republican unity and Democratic disunity, the poll averages don't have Trump winning Ohio or Florida. Those states will not flip.

Trump spending his money in moonshot states like Minnesota is only going to make it worse.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
MIGF is many things but i do not think he is a Trump supporter

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Alter Ego posted:

Can't wait for the whitepeoplemourningtrump tumblr after this election.

Oh man I forgot about this completely, one more thing to look forward to in November :allears:

This election is going to set the standards for rich, spicy meltdowns

mmm, vintage 2012 meltdowns

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
On the flipside too I think the people that think Hillary is in for a cake walk are equally stupid. Trump's probably going to own her one way or another once face to face debates kick in.

Slate Action posted:

Even now, at the height of Republican unity and Democratic disunity, the poll averages don't have Trump winning Ohio or Florida. Those states will not flip.

hey pal not sure if you've been paying attention but polls haven't meant poo poo for a while because nothing............. matters.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Louisgod posted:

On the flipside too I think the people that think Hillary is in for a cake walk are equally stupid. Trump's probably going to own her one way or another once face to face debates kick in.

I'm curious as to why you think this. I don't think it's gonna be easy for Hillary either, but in the debates? Really? Trump only destroyed Jeb and Marco because a) they were paper tigers and b) they had to court the same lunatic voters he did so they couldn't go at him.

Hillary, for everything else that she is, doesn't have that problem. I've never once seen her lose her cool in a debate, nor have I ever really seen her even stumble over her words in an answer the way Obama did. If she gets on the same stage as Trump, she will goad him into doing something stupid--and because he's Trump, he will take the bait and say something hideously offensive.

Engaging him in a Twitter war is stupid. Trying to out-nickname him is dumb as hell. But they seem to have learned the first lesson--Elizabeth Warren is taking over needling him on Twitter--and so far I haven't really seen the campaign officially try to brand him with a nickname. Just a couple of trial balloons. And I actually think "Poor Donald" works, as long as they're not talking about money, but rather in the "Poor Donald, he's really in over his head. He's got no idea what he's doing" sense.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Louisgod posted:

hey pal not sure if you've been paying attention but polls haven't meant poo poo for a while because nothing............. matters.

Actually, polls have been pretty accurate this cycle so far (in the primaries). Barring a few exceptions, like Bernie in Michigan.

The Trump thing was people not believing the polls, or assuming they would turn around at some point, or that people would clearly come to their senses when it's time to actually vote. But Trump lead in the primary from early on, and never really lost the lead.

Like I said, there are a few exceptions. But most of those have had Trump slightly underperforming his polls, not overperforming.

Then again, yeah, polls this far out from the general usually mean nothing.

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

Louisgod posted:

If I were Clinton I wouldn't be worried about debates; Trump's debate performance was a low-fat nothingburger in matchups against such rhetorical titans as Jeb Bush and Marco "Ctrl-Alt-Del" Rubio

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Alter Ego posted:

she will goad him into doing something stupid--and because he's Trump, he will take the bait and say something hideously offensive.

oh wow I can't wait, this will surely finish him! "hideously offensive" lol man did you just tune in

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

My Imaginary GF posted:

I have been saying for months that Minnesota is trump country. It is a state of white folks who have to deal with ISIS in their midst, how the gently caress can it not go for Trump?

Truth. We live in fear here in Minnesota. ISIS TP'ed my house on 9-11.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

mike12345 posted:

oh wow I can't wait, this will surely finish him! "hideously offensive" lol man did you just tune in

So you really don't think that screaming epithets at Hillary Clinton on stage would do anything to damage Trump's prospects among voters who have yet to make a decision? Why, it's almost like the makeup of the electorate is going to be different during the general election than it was during primary season.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Alter Ego posted:

I'm curious as to why you think this. I don't think it's gonna be easy for Hillary either, but in the debates? Really? Trump only destroyed Jeb and Marco because a) they were paper tigers and b) they had to court the same lunatic voters he did so they couldn't go at him.

Hillary, for everything else that she is, doesn't have that problem. I've never once seen her lose her cool in a debate, nor have I ever really seen her even stumble over her words in an answer the way Obama did. If she gets on the same stage as Trump, she will goad him into doing something stupid--and because he's Trump, he will take the bait and say something hideously offensive.

Engaging him in a Twitter war is stupid. Trying to out-nickname him is dumb as hell. But they seem to have learned the first lesson--Elizabeth Warren is taking over needling him on Twitter--and so far I haven't really seen the campaign officially try to brand him with a nickname. Just a couple of trial balloons. And I actually think "Poor Donald" works, as long as they're not talking about money, but rather in the "Poor Donald, he's really in over his head. He's got no idea what he's doing" sense.

Why do I think this? Because Trump is absolute poo poo when he speaks to concepts, ideas, projects, proposals.. you name it, he thinks it up on the fly and will say the opposite a day later. I think he knows this so he's just going to try and attack Hillary's quirks like he did the other GOP candidates and play to the crowd instead of answering questions. And people are going to eat it up.

I hope I'm wrong though.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
https://twitter.com/justinjm1/status/737738286689615873

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

counterpoint: nothing matters, still :smith:

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

lol

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
In what universe is Clinton this debate god she's being made out to be? I mean, she’s not a pushover, but when pressed on issues she knows she's going to get (Goldman Sachs, emails, etc.) she starts turbo-blabbing and shouting.

You know when someone gets caught in a lie and starts over-explaining things? That's her rhetorical style.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

logikv9 posted:

counterpoint: nothing matters, still :smith:

Pretty sure that like every Democrat-aligned 527 will run ads about this and the Trump University stuff for months.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

thrawn527 posted:

Actually, polls have been pretty accurate this cycle so far (in the primaries). Barring a few exceptions, like Bernie in Michigan.

The Trump thing was people not believing the polls, or assuming they would turn around at some point, or that people would clearly come to their senses when it's time to actually vote. But Trump lead in the primary from early on, and never really lost the lead.

Like I said, there are a few exceptions. But most of those have had Trump slightly underperforming his polls, not overperforming.

Then again, yeah, polls this far out from the general usually mean nothing.

One's opinion of this race versus 2012 has a lot to do with whether or not they include the online trackers. If you don't, it is almost the exact loving same and there are just fewer polls this time around. If you do, Clinton is significantly ahead of where Obama was at this point in 2012.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Louisgod posted:

Why do I think this? Because Trump is absolute poo poo when he speaks to concepts, ideas, projects, proposals.. you name it, he thinks it up on the fly and will say the opposite a day later. I think he knows this so he's just going to try and attack Hillary's quirks like he did the other GOP candidates and play to the crowd instead of answering questions. And people are going to eat it up.

I hope I'm wrong though.

People aren't going to eat it up because the people who eat that poo poo up already ate it and voted for him in the primary. There cannot possibly be anyone left at this point who is just holding out to see if Trump will get a little more offensive before they decide, once and for all, that this is the candidate for them. Just like how Bernie needed to pivot to win his primary, Trump needs to pivot to win his general. If the best that Trump can do is insult his opponent and make unsubtle insinuations he's going to have a hell of a time winning over independant voters. The shithead vote is limited and Trump has already captured all of it.

Trump's favorables vs Hillary look good now but we're still in the middle of a very dirty primary. I would be very surprised if Trump's poll numbers look this rosy in August.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007
If she gets pressed on Goldman or w/e and says she'll tell them to "cut it out" I'm burying my head in my hands and staying there until 11/9

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

Trump is that kid trying to do the reading on his walk to class

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

OatmealRaisin posted:

If she gets pressed on Goldman or w/e and says she'll tell them to "cut it out" I'm burying my head in my hands and staying there until 11/9

Don't worry, campaign internal polling told them that phrase didn't test well.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Mirthless posted:

The shithead vote is limited and Trump has already captured all of it.

We'll see, the shithead vote seems pretty open still.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

OatmealRaisin posted:

Trump has handed her a response on that though when he said he was super happy with how the economy tanked hard and then he hired them to run all money aspects of his campaign (and presumably advise him on his finance platform as he considers them "the best people")

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Clinton is a great debater. The problem will be that Trump doesn't really debate, he gives vague answers and insults people out of the side of his mouth and there's no formula for a politician to counter it, because even Palin would try to debate like a politician.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

Epic High Five posted:

Trump has handed her a response on that though when he said he was super happy with how the economy tanked hard and then he hired them to run all money aspects of his campaign (and presumably advise him on his finance platform as he considers them "the best people")

Yeah I'm down with this I just hate that cut it out talking point.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Grem posted:

Clinton is a great debater. The problem will be that Trump doesn't really debate, he gives vague answers and insults people out of the side of his mouth and there's no formula for a politician to counter it, because even Palin would try to debate like a politician.

Yes exactly, that's the point I was trying to make earlier. Trump's good at goading politicians down a hole they can't get out of. Clinton would be great at a debate.. if this were a debate.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Epic High Five posted:

Yeah, a lot of how Trump won his primary was just by saying "Hey, these guys do a bad thing I also do - I bet they won't call me out on it!" and being right about it 100% of the time

There is so many reasons Trump won but "He is an awesome political powerhouse/debate machine/incredible campaigner" are none of those reasons

Grem posted:

It will be interesting to see Hillary run up against Trump when it comes time to GE debates. His strategy is unconventional and was pretty unbeatable throughout the GOP debate cycle, but there's a different audience tuning into the national debates and Hillary has had a lot of time to study and practice.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Good King Boosted was fair and just, and rewarded his subjects with magnificent gilded powers

Bad King FIshmech was arbitrary and harsh, and rewarded his subjects with nothing but probations

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
Also I'm late here but again, Trump's foreign policy is going to be whatever the Hudson Institute and its ilk want. Stop dreaming of a return to isolationism. All they have to do is bring Trump in to a fancy smoking lounge and look down their cigars with a glimmer of approval in their eyes and they'll own him for the rest of his term.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Louisgod posted:

Yes exactly, that's the point I was trying to make earlier. Trump's good at goading politicians down a hole they can't get out of. Clinton would be great at a debate.. if this were a debate.

The problem is that the Republican party have had a crack team of gravediggers digging hole after hole for her for decades and she's managed to get out of every hole they've dug

Clinton's been doing this too long for a little needling to work. She's not going to have any Rubio or Jeb! moments.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

*makes italian benissimo kiss gesture*
ohhh that's-a good selective-a quote

you deliberately cut out the part where the gold was originally to be used as a pan-african alternative currency but that plan never panned out and no one seemed to take it seriously. it was being taken seriously because it could also be used to finance his military indefinitely despite all their bank accounts being frozen.

almost as if the rest of the world was trying to starve him out and when they realized it wasn't going to work they'd have to get more aggressive. :wow:

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
Glenn Beck :rip:

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

satellite radio has bent the knee

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

only suitable respond to this post:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-faCh8BUEts

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

i would like to see donald trump in an 11 hour congressional hearing. i wager he doesn't have the fortitude clinton did to sit at a table and answer the same questions over and over.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Glenn Beck is no longer conservative enough for the GOP :beck:

Mr. Pumroy posted:

i would like to see donald trump in an 11 hour congressional hearing. i wager he doesn't have the fortitude clinton did to sit at a table and answer the same questions over and over.

He would be the first president to just resign in the middle of a term because he got bored of the job

Like Sarah Palin, if we'd made her president instead of governor of Alaska

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 21:52 on May 31, 2016

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

babypolis posted:

Good King Boosted was fair and just, and rewarded his subjects with magnificent gilded powers

Bad King FIshmech was arbitrary and harsh, and rewarded his subjects with nothing but probations

Which is bizarre, given their respective political ideologies. Just goes to show you, you shouldn't take political ideology as a surefire indicator of someone's personality. There are probably nearly as many irredeemable fuckers among Sanders and Clinton supports as among Trump supporters. Heroes and monsters on all sides, really. But, regardless of his ideology, Boosted has proved a good and true king, a real Ned Stark. fischmech is Ramsay Bolton.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
fishmech is the mod this forum deserves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Mr. Pumroy posted:

i think it would end up being 11 hours of trump ranting about everything and i would probably watch that hell yeah

• Locked thread