Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

I roll through their bullshit magic because thats what youre supposed to do :colbert:.

You can also kill them before the second phase in ng+ with a max bleed build.

Or super hyper mode estoc spam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

Guillermus posted:

That's one of the reasons why the Profaned Greatsword is my favourite UGS with the Cathedral Knight Greatsword because it's weird combo of Strike/Trust damage.

I too have trust damage issues

Sven
Oct 4, 2005

Guillermus posted:

As a melee player I always do the same and I agree that the spell barrage seems to never hit me at all and usually just hits the ground behind me.

I always just stand over on the side that has the pointless ramp, then run/dodge towards the one casting purple crap at me.

Also, holy crap grinding those silver knights for concords... I will have this trophy, even if its the last thing I do :argh:

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Sperglord Firecock posted:

I too have trust damage issues

Neople constantly hurting me by saying poise is working.

Jordbo
Mar 5, 2013

sector_corrector posted:

Is it just me, or the Kukuri a much better option than almost any bow? Not having to switch off your main, faster fire speed, pretty solid damage (on a quality build), and bleed proc.

Not really, since you can have your bow drawn and ready to fire instantaneously at the right moment (catching someone coming out of a roll, for example). Regular throwing knives are great for putting pressure on a passive opponent, but I think black firebombs are better than the kukri since they are easier to aim.

With bows you can also do that thing Peeve does where you draw an arrow, but switch to your parrying tool to catch their attempted punish :)

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

Sven posted:

I always just stand over on the side that has the pointless ramp, then run/dodge towards the one casting purple crap at me.

Also, holy crap grinding those silver knights for concords... I will have this trophy, even if its the last thing I do :argh:

I gave up on the trophies specifically for this reason. Way to grindy and most of the covenants are just borked for me or I'm apparently too high a level for them to work.

Sven
Oct 4, 2005

Fire Barrel posted:

I gave up on the trophies specifically for this reason. Way to grindy and most of the covenants are just borked for me or I'm apparently too high a level for them to work.

Well, all the other covenant items weren't too bad for me. Aldrichs actually worked for me, pale tongues I got from dueling at the pontiff bonfire, the wolf covenants drop rate isn't too bad, sunbroing is a non-issue, but god drat, farming those two silver knights at the top of the londo stairs was a lesson in patience I wont soon forget.

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

Sven posted:

Well, all the other covenant items weren't too bad for me. Aldrichs actually worked for me, pale tongues I got from dueling at the pontiff bonfire, the wolf covenants drop rate isn't too bad, sunbroing is a non-issue, but god drat, farming those two silver knights at the top of the londo stairs was a lesson in patience I wont soon forget.

Pale tongues, sunlight medallions, and vertebra were all super easy to get. In all my hours of playing I've gotten summoned twice as an Aldrich faithful, once as a Farron Watchdog, and never as a Blue Sentinel/Darkmoon.

Kobogartimer
Mar 17, 2006

Demon's Souls is art. Dark Souls 1 is magical but tragically unfinished. Dark Souls 2 is a good game, and impressive mechanically, but fails to capture what made DS1. Bloodborne is a true and complete masterpiece. DS3 also fails to capture the magic of DS1, but instead creates some of its own. Mechanically baffling. Serviceable and a Good Game.

To recap: Bloodborne > DS1 > DS3 > DeS > DS2

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
The second version of the Gundyr fight was very difficult, until I realized that I could parry him. Reminds me of Gwyn of DS1.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I have never parried the Champ. I trade blows like its a title fight.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Is a fast roll melee character at all viable in pvp? I want to weild an estoc and caestus. Seems fine as far as pve goes but getting parry times down in pvp is tough.

I guess it doesn't have to be an estoc since they are so overused. What other good lightweight weapon choices do I have? I have a darksword but... Bah.

Happy Hedonist fucked around with this message at 22:09 on May 31, 2016

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Kobogartimer posted:

Demon's Souls is art. Dark Souls 1 is magical but tragically unfinished. Dark Souls 2 is a good game, and impressive mechanically, but fails to capture what made DS1. Bloodborne is a true and complete masterpiece. DS3 also fails to capture the magic of DS1, but instead creates some of its own. Mechanically baffling. Serviceable and a Good Game.

To recap: Bloodborne > DS1 > DS3 > DeS > DS2

Is Bloodborne ever coming out for PC? I feel like I'm missing out :(

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Necc0 posted:

Nope.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Happy Hedonist posted:

Is a fast roll melee character at all viable in pvp? I want to weild an estoc and caestus. Seems fine as far as pve goes but getting parry times down in pvp is tough.

I guess it doesn't have to be an estoc since they are so overused. What other good lightweight weapon choices do I have? I have a darksword but... Bah.

fast roll doesn't matter as much as wearing the bloodring for pvp. parrying is also not game changing unless you're going to bring the hornet ring.

other good lightweight weapons include literally any other straight sword, the carthus curved sword, warden or sellsword or gotthard twin swords, gimmick bandit knife + rouge + iron skin.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Necc0 posted:

It was developed at the behest of Sony, so no chance. And you are missing out.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

grab a PS4 and BB off of ebay for cheap and then just stop eating for like a month or two

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

homeless poster posted:

fast roll doesn't matter as much as wearing the bloodring for pvp. parrying is also not game changing unless you're going to bring the hornet ring.

other good lightweight weapons include literally any other straight sword, the carthus curved sword, warden or sellsword or gotthard twin swords, gimmick bandit knife + rouge + iron skin.

I'm sick of my str build. I think I may respec and try some twin swords.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Deified Data posted:

Pontiff took me the most tries out of any boss, actually, even more than NK.

What phase of the fight are you stuck on with him?

It's not just one particular thing. Sometimes I do badly on the dragon phase, sometimes his fast attacks get me. I think the last time I tried I got two or maybe three hits away from killing him, then stupided myself dead and got discouraged. It would be a lot easier if there would be "right, you need to do this" but it's just a matter of endurance and staying on the ball the whole time.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

Happy Hedonist posted:

It's not a matter of viable or not it's just that the medium roll is already so good that there's not a huge advantage to getting a fast roll. Most of the time when you're attacking you're either trying to trade or punish a swing, so your target's already not rolling. It might help you avoid people catching your rolls but from my experience I don't have my rolls get caught very often anyway. I'm pretty good at catching rolls though.

So you could beat me. It seems like an awful lot of wasted effort to design your build around beating me, people do it all the time without any special effort.

Good light weapons are any of the twin things, straight swords, Carthus curved sword (or any other curved sword but Carthus is by far the best), maybe a Lucerne or spear. Drang twin spears are my personal nemesis but not that popular for whatever reason. That's all stuff under I think 9 weight. Stick with straight swords or curved swords if you want lighter than a dark sword.

Parrying with anything other than a medium shield just seems like foolishness to me because it's so obvious what you're doing but I guess that's the meta.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

I guess I'll just stuck with medium roll and spec around a new weapon. I've been using a Yhorm's machete for awhile now, and I'm bored with it. I've had good luck with it, I'm just ready to try something different. I started merc with the intention of going quality, but ended up str. I like the move sets on the Drang twin spears and the Gotthard twin swords so I'm going to one of them give them a go.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

A light roll archer would probably be just infuriating to fight.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

DatonKallandor posted:

Demon Fist also has the Caestus moveset in the off-hand (punch and parry) and the only difference to regular punchy-fist is that it doesn't have the hilariously good tough-it-out move and instead gets a spin-slash-into-launcher combo.

demon fist also costs twice as much stamina per swing. theres nothing worse than running out of stamina in the middle of a monster stunlock combo.

oh i could offhand the demon fist, you mean. that would work.

edit: oh that's an expensive parry, tho. offhand caestus, right hand demon fist. i can two fist either demon fist or caestus that way.

oh and there's a display bug when you do that:

see both caestus and demon fist appear equipped

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jun 1, 2016

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Deified Data posted:

Dancer took me a couple dozen tries on my shieldless run but only one try ever since.

Crystal Sage was a nightmare for my sorcerer on NG+.

Yeah, it's pretty awful because you'll be forced through a billion iterations of the clone phase. For what it's worth though, farron dart will let you clear out the clones fast if you don't die in the initial murder flurry.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

You would think....but it's not. Trust me, it's worse to be the archer.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich
I've had two saves get corrupted, one around lvl 100 and the other around 60. Verifying the data and the trick where you move the save file, create a new character, press load, alt-tab out, and overwrite the new save with the old one didn't work. I'm not super jazzed about starting a new character until this gets worked out.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

not if they stuck to using a bow 100% and didn't switch to any backup weapons or gimmicks. all you have to do is close distance and they're toast. they can't trade hits or do anything to push you away, and you can also roll through all their shots. I mean, I don't know how you would win as the archer unless you were using a greatbow in an area with a lot of instant death drops and you were posted up somewhere and your opponent was unaware of you and you could snipe them off a ledge with your first shot without missing. otherwise, once the melee guy found the archer it'd be game over.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3

homeless poster posted:

not if they stuck to using a bow 100% and didn't switch to any backup weapons or gimmicks. all you have to do is close distance and they're toast. they can't trade hits or do anything to push you away, and you can also roll through all their shots. I mean, I don't know how you would win as the archer unless you were using a greatbow in an area with a lot of instant death drops and you were posted up somewhere and your opponent was unaware of you and you could snipe them off a ledge with your first shot without missing. otherwise, once the melee guy found the archer it'd be game over.

Seeing as how I've done that exact build before, you CAN win. The point is to be as annoying as you possibly can be and get the opponent to make too many risky mistakes trying to hit you. It's a constant uphill battle.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
So I have all of the rings save for the covenant rings. I will gladly trade with anyone on PS4 who has the covenant rings. We can drop, hold till the achievement drops and be on our merry way.

Otherwise the rest of that achievement is waiting on a patch to hopefully fix the autosummon covenants, since I have NEVER been summon as any kind of Bluebro or Darkmoon, I have maybe 10 Watchdog summons, and maybe 5 Aldritch summons. That's it. I will trade for anything I have, which playing through almost to the end of NG++ is quite a bit.

Anyone willing to let me hold their covenant rings for a few minutes, please shoot me a message on PSN: Monkrocker

Thanks.

HaB fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jun 1, 2016

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

Bows are really bad in this, for some reason. And by some reason I mean it's because they didn't make them like DS2 bows. Rather than immediately firing an arrow when you release the button, you instead stand stock still for half a second and then fire. This results in the bows both firing way slower than even the slow regular bows in DS2, and having effectively worse tracking, meaning it's really loving hard to hit people with the regular arrow shot. Most of the skills are similarly useless, and while the fast shot one is actually pretty decent, the FP and especially stamina consumption are much too high for the damage it does. The only actually good attack is the smooth rolling shot, but even then it's merely okay, and only the short bow and composite bow have it. Bows are loving trash in this.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

A light roll crossbowman would probably be infuriating to fight.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Crossbows are still fun though. Finishing off someone who panic roll away to heal with a crossbow shot feels so good.

Shame they made the heavy crossbow only drop from one enemy in the entire game though.

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

Light roll dual Avelyns :shepface:

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

So I have Smough's soul but I just realized without Andre I can't upgrade any hammers so I'll never be able to use it, right? should I just consume it for regular souls

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

Once again...they are not. Ranged combat in general sucks in pvp. They would be better if you didn't have to load a bolt first. Avelyn at least is sort of fun to use though.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

Gologle posted:

Once again...they are not. Ranged combat in general sucks in pvp. They would be better if you didn't have to load a bolt first. Avelyn at least is sort of fun to use though.

Crossbows are swell and I use them all the time and now I am going to go do dual crossbow fast rolling and will report back.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Tokyo Sex Whale is probably just infuriating to fight.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

Crossbows are swell and I use them all the time and now I am going to go do dual crossbow fast rolling and will report back.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Gologle posted:

Simple solution: equip each of your 6 hand slots with a +10 heavy crossbow, and swap as needed. Six bolts, more than enough to kill anything that moves.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Oh, it suddenly occurred to me (this is probably obvious and old) that all the Lord of Cinder bosses get embered in their second phases. That's a nice detail.

e: oh, they completely burn down to cinders as well

McDragon fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jun 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

1 for 1