Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Telex
Feb 11, 2003

Serperoth posted:

That seems like a pretty good idea tbh.

What makes you think that it's what Wizards is doing?

it was in their annual stockholders report.

But software development despite what people seem to think, is not a rapid process. I would rough guess that if they threw an appropriate amount of resources (~5m in software dev maybe) that it'd still take two years for things to get made with any sort of quality. Maybe an alpha quality release with the majority of card interactions possible in a year or so.

The better thing with a ground up release and a lot of the keywording things being perhaps more machine-readable thanks to the Duels implementations (rather than MTGO) is that you can probably re-use a lot of the logic from Duels to make a new unified MTG game client that has the MTGO functionality of tournaments and trading and applies at least some of the F2P aspects of Duels to a game that lets people play for free up to a point, supplement the free with some paid options and eventually let that Duels player go from free to whale in the same client.

it'd be super nice if they'd learn from Hearthstone and make things cheaper and more on the IAP side of things with the ability to earn points for free that you can use to play events and/or buy packs with, but I have a feeling that any money invested will justify their decision to keep things at full Store Prices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Serperoth posted:

That seems like a pretty good idea tbh.

What makes you think that it's what Wizards is doing?

There's no way they're even close to actually doing this, even though it's what they desperately need to do. They're understaffed just in terms of being able to keep the current version working and up to date with new sets, never mind developing a completely new version in parallel. Remember that last huge version update to MTGO 5 years ago or whenever it was? It was a flashy new client program with some marginally better UI and stability improvements, that still runs like a dog and there's been hardly any improvement on the back end. And it was a huge effort on their part to do even that much.

They have their hands full just trying to keep MTGO from crashing whenever they code new cards in. To actually make improvements they'd really need to double their digital team's size, install new management, and pay competitive salaries for the Seattle tech sector.

Or they can just keep trundling a long doing what they're doing. The program works most of the time, rakes in a fair bit of money, and hasn't failled too disasterously in a while.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Telex posted:

The better thing with a ground up release and a lot of the keywording things being perhaps more machine-readable thanks to the Duels implementations (rather than MTGO) is that you can probably re-use a lot of the logic from Duels to make a new unified MTG game client that has the MTGO functionality of tournaments and trading and applies at least some of the F2P aspects of Duels to a game that lets people play for free up to a point, supplement the free with some paid options and eventually let that Duels player go from free to whale in the same client.

I'd be skeptical of the value of Duels code. As an example, the devs are pulling Archangel of Tithes from the card pool because, in their opinion, it's a complex card that leads to too many bugs. The actual storefront is also fraught with issues (collections are stored entirely locally).

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
that feel when you find an Inquistion of Kozilek in your card pile and look it up and it's 15 bucks on TCGPlayer

now how do i actually sell this drat thing

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
As has been suggested, it's likely MTGO cannot be improved without being completely torn down and starting again. The stuff about coding every card individually is so mindbogglingly incompetent I can't even begin to think what the program looks like under the hood.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

MTGO is a mess due to poor initial planning for new rule changes while having to deal with old cards. Duels remedies that by making the game simpler and play more like paper, where priority isn't always explicitly passed, detailed portions of the rules are glossed over/don't come up, etc. The problem is that you need robust testing and planning for a program to look as nice as Hearthstone while having the correct tournament behavior and rules complexity of MTG. The "real" solution of rebuilding MTGO is very expensive and WotC is incredibly wary of risk.

E:

MrL_JaKiri posted:

coding every card individually

ok WotC get a software architect if you rebuild MTGO so your program doesn't end up being entirely anti-patterns again

ThePeavstenator fucked around with this message at 20:29 on May 31, 2016

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

MrL_JaKiri posted:

As has been suggested, it's likely MTGO cannot be improved without being completely torn down and starting again. The stuff about coding every card individually is so mindbogglingly incompetent I can't even begin to think what the program looks like under the hood.

It's literally individual json(from what I recall leaking) entries for each individual card with no reference to inheritance or polymorphism. Like each card has a section of code that references when it can be cast, then the actual cost/effect code is written, then copy/pasted between editions of the card.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Skyl3lazer posted:

It's literally individual json(from what I recall leaking) entries for each individual card with no reference to inheritance or polymorphism. Like each card has a section of code that references when it can be cast, then the actual cost/effect code is written, then copy/pasted between editions of the card.

I will never complain about working on another legacy system for the rest of my life no toxx

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

IIRC it was supposedly perl scripts not json, but otherwise that's correct. Bugs have occurred which back this up (specific printings of relic seeker being bugged).

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Skyl3lazer posted:

Imagine if someone had invented some kind of metatypes like "creature" or "instant" that share a lot of structure with each other, or given rules text keywords so you know it's a standardised effect.

What a world that would have been

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Reuse is good, but polymorphism is overrated. Also "just make a new client from scratch" is what they just did, recently in fact. If you all recall it was a poo poo show for 18 months after release.

Judd Stackington
Oct 27, 2015
I think the MTGO client is - aesthetically at least - absolutely fine and completely appropriate for the game. I'd be happy with a Hearthstone-ish ranked play system with a ladder, an option for phantom drafts so I can just draft for the fun of it and more opportunities to get play points for free.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

mcmagic posted:

This isn't the reason I don't play MTGO. I have a pretty big paper collection and I can't justify paying for the same card twice to myself.

I mostly use it for $5.00 pauper decks or casual random commander where I can spend like $20.00 on a deck.

I don't know the troubles ya'll have with MTGO. I just play casual EDH, pauper and rarely draft and I have a 7 year old gaming computer and it literally never crashes or goes slow on me.

80s James Hetfield fucked around with this message at 20:53 on May 31, 2016

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Reuse is good, but polymorphism is overrated. Also "just make a new client from scratch" is what they just did, recently in fact. If you all recall it was a poo poo show for 18 months after release.

They don't need to make a new client from scratch; the client's not really the problem; they need to make a new server from scratch.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

the MTGO client is bad, there's no mobile version, there's no mac version. The prices are absurd for a digital game, there's nobody sane who should be dumping money into it.

Duels is "better" but only in the sense that there's a really laggy mobile version. The prices are still pretty bad and it's not the real game. It's better, in that I can play without having to pay, but still not good.

Both are fully and completely embarrassing in the light of Hearthstone eclipsing the popularity of MTG in less than a year with 30 million players and 20-30m/mo in revenue which I guarantee MTGO does not bring in, and maybe the paper product after operating costs probably doesn't clear that either. I can't imagine anyone at Hasbro is super proud of what they're putting out in this age of online/mobile gaming and would love to change it, but that poo poo is not cheap to do.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

mcmagic posted:

I'm talking about the whole process of turning cards into cash without getting killed by the buylist prices...

No, what you are actually talking about is your made-up fantasy idea of how something you clearly have no familiarity with whatsoever works. And doubling down on said position with emphasis.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Angry Grimace posted:

No, what you are actually talking about is your made-up fantasy idea of how something you clearly have no familiarity with whatsoever works. And doubling down on said position with emphasis.

I actually tried to do this about 2 years ago when I was playing MTGO so you're wrong.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

I'd be exceptionally surprised if even MTGO had the rules functionality encoded client side only. As that is not just incompetent but actually insane.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Telex posted:

the MTGO client is bad, there's no mobile version, there's no mac version. The prices are absurd for a digital game, there's nobody sane who should be dumping money into it.

Duels is "better" but only in the sense that there's a really laggy mobile version. The prices are still pretty bad and it's not the real game. It's better, in that I can play without having to pay, but still not good.

Both are fully and completely embarrassing in the light of Hearthstone eclipsing the popularity of MTG in less than a year with 30 million players and 20-30m/mo in revenue which I guarantee MTGO does not bring in, and maybe the paper product after operating costs probably doesn't clear that either. I can't imagine anyone at Hasbro is super proud of what they're putting out in this age of online/mobile gaming and would love to change it, but that poo poo is not cheap to do.

They are really kind of locked into the pricing model they've built for themselves with MTGO. That's the peril of being an early adopter, you can do it get wrong, and get locked in to your bad decisions.
It would be really hard for them to shake up pack / event pricing on MTGO right now without destabilizing the secondary market and pissing a lot of people off.

If you look at how over-cautious and worried they are with even something as simple as Modern reprints in paper, for fear of pissing off collectors, imagine how reluctant they are to mess with MTGO in any big way.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

mcmagic posted:

I actually tried to do this about 2 years ago when I was playing MTGO so you're wrong.

I mean it's a factual matter and not just your bad opinion about cards, so no, you just managed to screw up something which is impossible to screw up because you're apparently as dumb as you sound.

Like, how the gently caress do you imagine buylists work in paper?

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Imagine the WoW auction house setup on mtgo.

:allears:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Molybdenum posted:

Yeah and thats only what? 10 years old? 12 years old?

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

mandatory lesbian posted:

that feel when you find an Inquistion of Kozilek in your card pile and look it up and it's 15 bucks on TCGPlayer

now how do i actually sell this drat thing

make an e-bay and paypal account if you don't have them already, grab the image of the card from magiccards.info, search listings on ebay for Buy It Now, price yours 1c cheaper than the cheapest including shipping, buy a plain white envelope (dollar tree/99cent stores are probably the cheapest place to buy envelopes), buy a single stamp (you can only buy singles at the post office, but you can buy books at the grocery store, wherever you buy them they're the same price), load up card in sleeve and toploader, tape it shut, put in envelope, ship it to the guy that bought it from you.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Molybdenum posted:

It'd be nice, but I think this would also desperately need a 1 -> 100 or 1000 conversion for tickets to be particularly useful.

It would also probably have.... interesting effects with the MTGO economy.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Sigma-X posted:

make an e-bay and paypal account if you don't have them already, grab the image of the card from magiccards.info, search listings on ebay for Buy It Now, price yours 1c cheaper than the cheapest including shipping, buy a plain white envelope (dollar tree/99cent stores are probably the cheapest place to buy envelopes), buy a single stamp (you can only buy singles at the post office, but you can buy books at the grocery store, wherever you buy them they're the same price), load up card in sleeve and toploader, tape it shut, put in envelope, ship it to the guy that bought it from you.

my post office sells books of stamps, cause i brought some today, but thank you

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

Entropic posted:

It would be really hard for them to shake up pack / event pricing on MTGO right now without destabilizing the secondary market and pissing a lot of people off.

I think the existing secondary market is proof that they've got it all wrong already and it can't actually hurt to fix it.

The prices of new packs and new cards are absurd compared to their resale value online.

The EV of an SOI booster is what, less than a dollar? It's at least 2ish for paper. Therefore the price of a booster on MTGO should be at best, 2 bucks. There's no legit reason not to price sealed product appropriately because the secondary market already has. I'm not sure there would be much of a correction other than the one from increased supply which wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

mandatory lesbian posted:

my post office sells books of stamps, cause i brought some today, but thank you

He means that the only place you can buy singleton stamps is at the Post Office...

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Entropic posted:

They are really kind of locked into the pricing model they've built for themselves with MTGO. That's the peril of being an early adopter, you can do it get wrong, and get locked in to your bad decisions.

If you look at how over-cautious and worried they are with even something as simple as Modern reprints in paper, for fear of pissing off collectors, imagine how reluctant they are to mess with MTGO in any big way.

They are ultraconservative in their decision making, no doubt. But I believe modo will never expand quickly enough not to be eclipsed in the market if they don't make some drastic changes. If that means the secondary value of people's digital collections is wiped out so be it. Denying yourself large untapped markets out of concern for your current market is the classic innovator's dilemma.

Some way to play constructed without having to have the cards is a good first step. Some sort of phantom league where you just need event points and a decklist to join, where the cards never enter your collection, with either a subscription fee or a reasonable (imo ~10%) rake on fees minus prizes would be sustainable and would turbocharge their usage. Cut the tie of redemption between online and paper events, and you can then offer online events at different pricepoints that don't have to assume a $3.99/pack parity.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

They are ultraconservative in their decision making, no doubt. But I believe modo will never expand quickly enough not to be eclipsed in the market if they don't make some drastic changes. If that means the secondary value of people's digital collections is wiped out so be it. Denying yourself large untapped markets out of concern for your current market is the classic innovator's dilemma.

Some way to play constructed without having to have the cards is a good first step. Some sort of phantom league where you just need event points and a decklist to join, where the cards never enter your collection, with either a subscription fee or a reasonable (imo ~10%) rake on fees minus prizes would be sustainable and would turbocharge their usage. Cut the tie of redemption between online and paper events, and you can then offer online events at different pricepoints that don't have to assume a $3.99/pack parity.

Their business model prints money in both paper and digital. Why would the cannibalize all of that and burn their current player base? What market do you think they're going to hit that's going to be more lucrative?

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What's the funnest deck you've played/built? Links please. Want to try some new stuff.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

ButtWolf posted:

What's the funnest deck you've played/built? Links please. Want to try some new stuff.

Legacy Grixis Delver.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

ButtWolf posted:

What format/era?

Mine is Standard Birthing Pod in SoM/Inn standard.

Edit for link

ScarletBrother fucked around with this message at 21:57 on May 31, 2016

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

ButtWolf posted:

Floch's Sphinx-Elixir deck, bar none.

26 LANDS

2 Azorius Guildgate
4 Hallowed Fountain
6 Island
2 Mutavault
6 Plains
4 Temple of Enlightenment
1 Temple of Epiphany
1 Temple of Triumph

30 INSTANTS and SORC.

4 Azorius Charm
4 Dissolve
3 Divination
2 Last Breath
3 Planar Cleansing
4 Quicken
4 Sphinx's Revelation
4 Supreme Verdict
2 Syncopate

4 OTHER SPELLS

1 Elixir of Immortality
3 Jace, Architect of Thought

SIDEBOARD

2 Archangel of Thune
1 Deicide
2 Dispel
1 Elspeth, Sun's Champion
2 Gainsay
1 Jace, Memory Adept
2 Last Breath
4 Nyx-Fleece Ram

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

ButtWolf posted:

Legacy UWR miracles. Fun enough that I have played it for the past ~5 years. (The fun is in talking to your opponent about anything other than Magic, so don't play this against grognards)

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

ScarletBrother posted:

He means that the only place you can buy singleton stamps is at the Post Office...

:doh: my bad, sometimes i have terribad reading comprehension

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Sigma-X posted:

Their business model prints money in both paper and digital. Why would the cannibalize all of that and burn their current player base? What market do you think they're going to hit that's going to be more lucrative?

The market of people who don't want to spend $360 on a playset of LotV, especially if they already have done so in paper. The market of people who don't want to deal with a lovely collection view full of thousands of chaff commons that can't be deleted. The people who want to try out or test a variety of decks without committing hundreds of dollars just to see if they enjoy how it plays. The people who want to play magic but don't have giant amounts of disposable income. The people who don't want to have to time the market and deal with rotations. The people who are used to hearthstone and other games and who will either glaze over or laugh when they learn how much mtg costs by comparison. Basically everyone except those who believe they have a store of value in their online collections already.

Your statement also contains the implicit assumption that this is bad for their current player base. It's not. They'd receive the ongoing benefits of a larger playerbase and dead simple access to any format too.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

The market of people who don't want to spend $360 on a playset of LotV, especially if they already have done so in paper. The market of people who don't want to deal with a lovely collection view full of thousands of chaff commons that can't be deleted. The people who want to try out or test a variety of decks without committing hundreds of dollars just to see if they enjoy how it plays. The people who want to play magic but don't have giant amounts of disposable income. The people who don't want to have to time the market and deal with rotations. The people who are used to hearthstone and other games and who will either glaze over or laugh when they learn how much mtg costs by comparison. Basically everyone except those who believe they have a store of value in their online collections already.

Your statement also contains the implicit assumption that this is bad for their current player base. It's not. They'd receive the ongoing benefits of a larger playerbase and dead simple access to any format too.

They also need to somehow make it as entertaining and quick as Hearthstone because many of those people, understandably, don't have the patience to deal with us lovely MTG nerds. So that means restrict the responses to HELLO and WELL PLAYED and put a timer on a turn like duels did. And if you're a grog that can't put up with that, gently caress you and stick with paper.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

Sigma-X posted:

More customers. Is this a trick question?

Blizzard jumped into the game out of absolutely nowhere, made a card game that was free AND cheap AND competitive AND casual, and in one year made more money than MTG.

Anyone looking at the game from a completely rational and neutral perspective on revenue and customers bases looks at that and sees a significant problem and lack of inspiration to capture those customers. They were out there somewhere, but the MTG product wasn't cheap/compelling/good enough to get them on board. That kind of poo poo is exactly what you hire new c-level execs to figure out.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Madmarker posted:

Floch's Sphinx-Elixir deck, bar none.

26 LANDS

2 Azorius Guildgate
4 Hallowed Fountain
6 Island
2 Mutavault
6 Plains
4 Temple of Enlightenment
1 Temple of Epiphany
1 Temple of Triumph

30 INSTANTS and SORC.

4 Azorius Charm
4 Dissolve
3 Divination
2 Last Breath
3 Planar Cleansing
4 Quicken
4 Sphinx's Revelation
4 Supreme Verdict
2 Syncopate

4 OTHER SPELLS

1 Elixir of Immortality
3 Jace, Architect of Thought

SIDEBOARD

2 Archangel of Thune
1 Deicide
2 Dispel
1 Elspeth, Sun's Champion
2 Gainsay
1 Jace, Memory Adept
2 Last Breath
4 Nyx-Fleece Ram

My budget deck from the following Super Standard was my favorite.

Deck: Riddle Me This

//Lands
4 Island
4 Izzet Guildgate
4 Mountain
4 Shivan Reef
4 Temple of Epiphany
4 Temple of Triumph

//Spells
4 Blast of Genius
4 Catch // Release
1 Cyclonic Rift
4 Dictate of the Twin Gods
4 Enter the Infinite
4 Izzet Keyrune
4 Magma Jet
4 Riddle of Lightning

//Creatures
3 Omenspeaker
4 Sigiled Starfish

Display deck statistics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

4x Faerie Miscreant
4x Toppelgeist
4x Cleric of the Forward Order
4x Reflector Mage
4x Whirler Rogue
2x Avacyn

4x Mirror Mockery
4x Invocation of St Traft

4x Eerie Interlude
4x Compelling Deterrence

Lands

Despite clearly being really really terrible it's great fun to play, and has taken at least one game in every match up I've played with it (somehow).

(You put Mirror Mockery on your own stuff, in case it's not clear)

• Locked thread