Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pluskut Tukker
May 20, 2012

mobby_6kl posted:

Does anyone know what's the status of the Ukraine visa agreement? All I can find is months old and no indication where it is in the pipeline.

Apparently both France and Germany want to hold off on new visa agreements until some sort of 'snap-back mechanism' is in force, where visa-free travel can be suspended in case of some crisis (say if hundreds of thousands of refugees arrive). The Dutch government will probably also be happy with a delay since otherwise they would have to take responsibility for it, given that the Netherlands holds the rotating presidency of the Council. So Ukrainians will have to waitt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
https://next.ft.com/content/4d3475ca-2734-11e6-8ba3-cdd781d02d89

quote:

Support for Angela Merkel’s ruling conservative bloc and her Social Democrat coalition partners has dropped below 50 per cent for the first time since the rebirth of German democracy after the second world war.
An opinion poll published on Tuesday in Bild newspaper shows the two groupings are losing support following the rise of the rightwing anti-immigration Alternative for Germany party and a recovery in the liberal FDP.
With the Greens and the Left party holding their own, the survey by the Insa agency confirms the political landscape is fragmenting ahead of next year’s parliamentary elections. The risks are increasing that a future government might need three coalition partners instead of two, which have run virtually every administration since the war.
Support for Chancellor Merkel’s CDU/CSU bloc dropped to 30 per cent from 41 per cent in the 2013 election, while the SPD’s backing plunged to 19 per cent from 26 per cent, said Insa.
The AfD, which has profited from the refugee crisis, was on 15 per cent in spite of recent intraparty squabbles. The FDP, a traditional mainstay of the political establishment that lost its Bundestag seats in 2013, secured 8 per cent, enough to return to parliament. The Greens were on 13 per cent and the Left 9.5 per cent.
The latest decline is largely caused by public anger over the influx of refugees. As late as last spring, just before the summer surge in migrants, Insa put support for Ms Merkel’s coalition parties at 66 per cent.
However, the combined backing for the CDU/CSU and SPD has been in decline since the late 1970s, when they commanded more than 90 per cent of the vote. Uwe Jun, politics professor at Trier University, said: “Society has become more differentiated and the two big ‘people’s parties’ can no longer bring together the different social streams.”

Turning and turning in the widening gyre
The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

Surely some revelation is at hand;
Surely the Second Coming is at hand.
The Second Coming! Hardly are those words out
When a vast image out of Spiritus Mundi
Troubles my sight: a waste of desert sand;
A shape with lion body and the head of a man,
A gaze blank and pitiless as the sun,
Is moving its slow thighs, while all about it
Wind shadows of the indignant desert birds.

The darkness drops again but now I know
That twenty centuries of stony sleep
Were vexed to nightmare by a rocking cradle,
And what rough beast, its hour come round at last,
Slouches towards Berlin to be born?

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

LemonDrizzle posted:

https://next.ft.com/content/4d3475ca-2734-11e6-8ba3-cdd781d02d89

Turning and turning in the widening gyre
The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

Surely some revelation is at hand;
Surely the Second Coming is at hand.
The Second Coming! Hardly are those words out
When a vast image out of Spiritus Mundi
Troubles my sight: a waste of desert sand;
A shape with lion body and the head of a man,
A gaze blank and pitiless as the sun,
Is moving its slow thighs, while all about it
Wind shadows of the indignant desert birds.

The darkness drops again but now I know
That twenty centuries of stony sleep
Were vexed to nightmare by a rocking cradle,
And what rough beast, its hour come round at last,
Slouches towards Berlin to be born?

If not for the italics I would have guessed this was a Mcdowell post.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
It's interesting. In comparison, the USA have already seen multiple political parties die and disappear over the course of their multiple century long history. It looks like know it's time for our German democracy to see the death of their first parties.

(I'm still hoping for the FDP to die first.)

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I'm looking forward to dying in a pointless war that happens because one country's party of idiots pisses off another country's party of idiots and sets off the whole shebang.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Tesseraction posted:

I'm looking forward to dying in a pointless war that happens because one country's party of idiots pisses off another country's party of idiots and sets off the whole shebang.

I mean in theory the EU is probably supposed to deter that.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
world war three, it's going to be france vs germany again.

OwlFancier posted:

I mean in theory the league of nations is probably supposed to deter that.

Lagotto
Nov 22, 2010

Libluini posted:

It's interesting. In comparison, the USA have already seen multiple political parties die and disappear over the course of their multiple century long history. It looks like know it's time for our German democracy to see the death of their first parties.

I'm guessing history is not really your thing?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Lagotto posted:

I'm guessing history is not really your thing?

Quite the opposite, actually

Lagotto
Nov 22, 2010

Libluini posted:

Quite the opposite, actually

Maybe American history then? The European political landscape has always been incredibly fragmented compared to the US one.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_historical_political_parties_in_Germany

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Libluini posted:

The last major party to die in America was the Whigs in 1854, and they were a) only around for 21 years and b) never a stable party.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Lagotto posted:

Maybe American history then? The European political landscape has always been incredibly fragmented compared to the US one.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_historical_political_parties_in_Germany

I was talking about the modern German state, which only started existing in 1949. Additionally, that list includes totally irrelevant small groups I've never heard off. Certainly no major German party of the republic has died so far.

fishmech posted:

The last major party to die in America was the Whigs in 1854, and they were a) only around for 21 years and b) never a stable party.

Sorry, you're flat out wrong here.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Libluini posted:

I was talking about the modern German state, which only started existing in 1949. Additionally, that list includes totally irrelevant small groups I've never heard off. Certainly no major German party of the republic has died so far.

Oh... this is why I hear Germans saying their universities are second-rate.

Federalist economic policies were keystones of the Whigs and Republicans, the "Jeffersonian Republican Party" is generally understood to actually be a continuous Democratic party from Jefferson on down that instead shifted with the various party systems which real political scientists and historians use to understand American politics. You can try again next year.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

No party who has never won the Presidency nor secured a majority in the Congress counts as a major party, sorry dude. Hence, the Whigs were the last major party to die, because they were both the last party besides the Republicans and Democrats to hold a presidency AND the last party besides those two to hold a majority in either house of Congress.

You'd know this if you knew anything about American politics, kleine Deutsch. So it's you who is flat out wrong.

Lagotto
Nov 22, 2010

Libluini posted:

Now you are just moving goal posts, are comparing two completely different periods and still manage to be wrong. It is no big deal, but I really don't see how you can look at US history and German history and then make that post.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
Well, the USA have first past the post election system and Germany has mostly a proportional voting system. The one leads to fewer parties but who have more tension within them (e.g. traditional Republicans vs. Tea Party Republicans or EU supporting Tories vs EU sceptic Tories) while the other has more parties (e.g. SPD/Linke or CDU/FDP) who are not that different.

SSJ2 Goku Wilders
Mar 24, 2010
Good luck Germany.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
It looks like there is hope at last for Greece

https://twitter.com/ggathens/status/737762307573448705

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Lagotto posted:

Now you are just moving goal posts, are comparing two completely different periods and still manage to be wrong. It is no big deal, but I really don't see how you can look at US history and German history and then make that post.

When people talk about German democracy, they usually mean the FRG. The Weimar Republic was such a short lived clusterfuck and failure that it's hardly worth the term democracy.

Our political system has been pretty stable throughout the entire history of the Republic and what is happening now is a yuuuuge deal. Much bigger than the emergence of the greens or the left party.

- the FDP just kneeled over and died, leaving Germany without a single influential liberal party

- a tiny neo-liberal movement, founded by a professor of economics, turned into a gigantic racist right wing monstrosity, slowly overtaking the SPD in popularity

- the SPD turned into an incompetent pro-buisness party and is trying to commit suicide at every opportunity they get(soon they will get their wish)

- the unholy union of CSU and CDU is shaking

Lagotto
Nov 22, 2010

waitwhatno posted:

When people talk about German democracy, they usually mean the FRG. The Weimar Republic was such a short lived clusterfuck and failure that it's hardly worth the term democracy.

Our political system has been pretty stable throughout the entire history of the Republic and what is happening now is a yuuuuge deal. Much bigger than the emergence of the greens or the left party.

- the FDP just kneeled over and died, leaving Germany without a single influential liberal party

- a tiny neo-liberal movement, founded by a professor of economics, turned into a gigantic racist right wing monstrosity, slowly overtaking the SPD in popularity

- the SPD turned into an incompetent pro-buisness party and is trying to commit suicide at every opportunity they get(soon they will get their wish)

- the unholy union of CSU and CDU is shaking

The crumbling of the established European center is quite evident, and is certainly an interesting development even though it has already been two decades in the making. That does not make the faulty comparison with two centuries of US any less ridiculous though. I still have no clear idea what was intended with the comparison except as some kind of weird reference to this being part of democracies coming of age or something.

If that was indeed his point, then I am sorry, that is not what is happening and one could easily argue that the entire period starting at the second half of the 19th century is Europe developing as democracies. What is happening now, both in the US and Europe has no parallel with US history and is in fact a fair bit more troubling then the romanticised notions Libluini posts seems to imply.

But maybe I am reading too much into it.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe
Meanwhile, fewer than 500 of 163,000 asylum seekers in Sweden last year found jobs

lol :cripes:

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Yes, I wonder why people might not hire someone who might be deported within a short period of time.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Tesseraction posted:

Yes, I wonder why people might not hire someone who might be deported within a short period of time.

After all, it can't be because they're all underqualified.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

So how many of those are children?

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Hell just do what the germans do, use them as 6 euro an hour slave labor in one of your monolith factories.

You could bring back SAAB with those cuts in production costs

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Ilustforponydeath posted:

After all, it can't be because they're all underqualified.

Well obviously it's because they're lazy. So lazy they travelled thousands of miles from home risking death.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Tesseraction posted:

That also don't know the language and who might not even have the necessary education. Sweden has a very regulated job market with quite a low proportion of low skilled jobs available. Service oriented jobs generally demands that the person knows the local language, while several lines of work that in many other places are classified as low skill jobs for anyone, such as carpenter, requires a 1-2 year education/internship to work as and perform insurance valid work. Aside from this they are generally not allowed to work unless they have been processed correctly, and the backlog for processing is likely a year or so. In short, the numbers makes sense.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Tesseraction posted:

Well obviously it's because they're lazy. So lazy they travelled thousands of miles from home risking death.

Or a combination of unsuitable skillsets, language problems and just about everything else you can think of when immigrating to a fundamentally different society and job market. But you went with "those darn racist employers".

That's quite a brain you've got there.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

Tesseraction posted:

Not only that, but many of them repeat the journey in the other direction:
http://www.thelocal.se/20160504/why-weary-asylum-seekers-are-leaving-sweden
Which raises the question of whether they needed asylum in the first place.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Ilustforponydeath posted:

Or a combination of unsuitable skillsets, language problems and just about everything else you can think of when immigrating to a fundamentally different society and job market. But you went with "those darn racist employers".

That's quite a brain you've got there.

Except I didn't, but it's comical you went there as if to accuse me of calling people racist.

See, here in what I believe is called 'business sense' one looks at a potential employee and whether they can meaningfully contribute to the company long-term. If I had someone who was on tenuous employment status because they may have to move soon, then I wouldn't hire them.

It's almost like asylum seekers are... a bad idea to hire??? Shocking idea I know.

And you assumed it was because I thought you were racist. That's quite a brain you've got there.

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

Tesseraction posted:

Except I didn't, but it's comical you went there as if to accuse me of calling people racist.

See, here in what I believe is called 'business sense' one looks at a potential employee and whether they can meaningfully contribute to the company long-term. If I had someone who was on tenuous employment status because they may have to move soon, then I wouldn't hire them.

It's almost like asylum seekers are... a bad idea to hire??? Shocking idea I know.

And you assumed it was because I thought you were racist. That's quite a brain you've got there.

No your post

Tesseraction posted:

reads exactly like you're accusing him of racism. Either you're completely insincere or you need to make words better.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

The Belgian posted:

No your post

reads exactly like you're accusing him of racism. Either you're completely insincere or you need to make words better.

Well it's interesting you claim this, because on first reading I thought their post was racist, but then I figured to be charitable and assume they were making fun of typical racial talking point, so I replied by making fun of another racist talking point.

The idea being that if I was right and they were also joking then no harm done. But then they got offended so I guess that showed me?

Like this post managed to capture it without being racist in the slightest:

Zudgemud posted:

That also don't know the language and who might not even have the necessary education. Sweden has a very regulated job market with quite a low proportion of low skilled jobs available. Service oriented jobs generally demands that the person knows the local language, while several lines of work that in many other places are classified as low skill jobs for anyone, such as carpenter, requires a 1-2 year education/internship to work as and perform insurance valid work. Aside from this they are generally not allowed to work unless they have been processed correctly, and the backlog for processing is likely a year or so. In short, the numbers makes sense.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm not sure a large volume of asylum seekers will really mesh super well into the normal economy of a country unless the country's economy has already figured out a way to exploitemploy people with limited grasp of the language and a wildly variable skillset.

That's the sort of thing state schemes would be better at doing.

SSJ2 Goku Wilders
Mar 24, 2010
They will return once the coast is clear to build their life where they can. Barring actual socialism (and even there I have my doubts), it'd be impossible to provide all of them with meaningful, en franchised lives wherein they are masters of their own destiny if they do not have the tools already to develop their economic independence. That's no way to live. But considering hunger and death is the alternative, the only proper course of action is to treat them like citizens and provide them with what's necessary so that they can become functional members of society, no? I'm sure the ones who stay will be fashioning their own petit bourgeois in no time, in order to serve the despondent and destitute underclass, bedridden in their new enclave somewhere in a lovely Stockholm neighborhood.

Cake Smashing Boob
Nov 5, 2008

I support black genocide

SSJ2 Goku Wilders posted:

They will return once the coast is clear to build their life where they can.

Not very likely, if history is anything to go by.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Cake Smashing Boob posted:

Not very likely, if history is anything to go by.
Peace in the Middle East is like fusion; always 20 years away.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Peace in the Middle East is like fusion; always 20 years away.

They used to say that about Ireland though.

SSJ2 Goku Wilders
Mar 24, 2010
Y'all are being disingenuous now and deliberately misreading the stated condition, as if absolute peace in the middle east was ever the premise in anyone's goddam argument.

Many of the Syrian refugees that I've spoken want to return eventually. They've lived there until recently and they'll do so again.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Tesseraction posted:

Risking death in such dangerous countries as Austria, Germany and Denmark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Double Bill posted:

Risking death in such dangerous countries as Austria, Germany and Denmark.

As we all know, a journey starts with its destination.