Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I legitimately want the version of Barbarossa/El Alamein that's just pictures of tanks instead of Japanese panty girls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
Pit is easily my favorite stock market game, and has the bonus of being fast, easy to teach, and nearly universal appeal.

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

Big McHuge posted:

Pit is easily my favorite stock market game, and has the bonus of being fast, easy to teach, and nearly universal appeal.

I love Pit, but it's not much of a stock market game.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Fantastic drinking and yelling game, though.

... Thinking about that genre makes me want to play Ugg-Tekt again but one of our inflatable clubs broke

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Archenteron posted:

Fantastic drinking and yelling game, though.

... Thinking about that genre makes me want to play Ugg-Tekt again but one of our inflatable clubs broke

Time to step up your game.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

silvergoose posted:

A friend is like that with zombies, and similarly, it's a good metric but not an actual good "reject solely because of".

This is me with insurgencies

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

StashAugustine posted:

This is me with insurgencies

So no COIN for you?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I meant that I'd play them on theme. Which is actually an exaggeration, not all the games I'm historically interested I like (Virgin Queen is an example of a game thats historically interesting and got some cool ideas but just mechanically weak enough that I wouldn't want to play it), but I was saying that I respond to a lot of historical themes the way kickstarter backers do to zombies/cthulu/etc

al-azad
May 28, 2009

My LGS had a dusty rear end copy of 1856 in the darkest corner of their shelves that I picked up for $30. As someone who has never played an 18xx game and will be introducing it to at least two other veteran board gamers who enjoy heavier games, did I make a good purchase or should I look for another 18xx?

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

al-azad posted:

My LGS had a dusty rear end copy of 1856 in the darkest corner of their shelves that I picked up for $30. As someone who has never played an 18xx game and will be introducing it to at least two other veteran board gamers who enjoy heavier games, did I make a good purchase or should I look for another 18xx?

I like it as a first 18XX but it's not fully representative of the series as a whole.

Edit: Suppose I should say more than that. Having the destinations to unlock your other half of capitalization gives you an immediate goal to work toward instead of trying to puzzle out the best place to build track to. The partial capitalization (money per stock instead of a lump sum when a company is fully floated) has seemed easier for most of the people I've played with to get their heads around. A major thing I'd warn you about is the Canadian Government Railways halfway through the game - they can be powerful if leveraged correctly.

SilverMike fucked around with this message at 22:30 on May 31, 2016

al-azad
May 28, 2009

SilverMike posted:

I like it as a first 18XX but it's not fully representative of the series as a whole.

Care to elaborate? I know the series is split into two camps and this one belongs in the 1830 line but I have zero idea what that means.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Honestly, Tekopo or one of the other regulars of the 18XX thread can give you a better opinion here. I just play the games very occasionally and don't tend to see the flaws that come from repeated plays.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I like 1856, but it's very auction dependant. The biggest issue I have with it is that it is not a two permanent game, and that the Government rules means that a lot of the pressure of getting permanents evaporates, since you can just dump companies onto the national for very little loss. As mentioned, it is an outlier, and although it is more cut-throat than 46, it is still a partial cap game: partial cap means that if people plan to buy and dump, they feed money into your company, which makes it have a feedback loop of good companies getting better (until they run out of shares to sell). On the other hand. Partial cap games tend to start slower as well.

I think 56 has a lot of chrome that makes it newbie unfriendly. 46 is the true partial cap beginner game: it's gentle yet competitive and becomes cut-throat due to track-lays/tokening once the players are more familiar with the game. If you can wait until 46 is out (GMT is producing it), I would recommend it, but 56 IS a good game and if you think your group is gonna like 18XX and it's a bargain, go for it.

EDIT: Also 56 suffers from a lack of viable starting slots. IIRC if you have 4 players, 3 of them are at one end of the map and basically boost each other, while one player goes into Niagara and has a long slog to get out of there, making it much harder for him unless he didn't gently caress up the auction too much.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Zark the Damned posted:

It's a skeevy as gently caress game from CMON where you tentacle rape Japanese schoolgirls. I wish I was kidding. IIRC they tried KSing it and it got taken down for being in bad taste.

It's not explicitly rape or anything explicitly skeevy. Just implied based on context. The game itself is basically a set collection game where you try and score sets of cards that are: Location, Girl, and Method (iirc the last one correctly). Bonus points for matching suits, Girls that scored have special effects, etc.

It's not a great game overall, but it's relatively short (30-60 minutes). I had a friend who owned the game so that's why I remember so much of it.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Tekopo posted:

I like 1856, but it's very auction dependant. The biggest issue I have with it is that it is not a two permanent game, and that the Government rules means that a lot of the pressure of getting permanents evaporates, since you can just dump companies onto the national for very little loss. As mentioned, it is an outlier, and although it is more cut-throat than 46, it is still a partial cap game: partial cap means that if people plan to buy and dump, they feed money into your company, which makes it have a feedback loop of good companies getting better (until they run out of shares to sell). On the other hand. Partial cap games tend to start slower as well.

I think 56 has a lot of chrome that makes it newbie unfriendly. 46 is the true partial cap beginner game: it's gentle yet competitive and becomes cut-throat due to track-lays/tokening once the players are more familiar with the game. If you can wait until 46 is out (GMT is producing it), I would recommend it, but 56 IS a good game and if you think your group is gonna like 18XX and it's a bargain, go for it.

EDIT: Also 56 suffers from a lack of viable starting slots. IIRC if you have 4 players, 3 of them are at one end of the map and basically boost each other, while one player goes into Niagara and has a long slog to get out of there, making it much harder for him unless he didn't gently caress up the auction too much.

I'm certainly intimidated but I'll hold onto it. The guys I play with run their own companies so I think the heavier economic aspect will appeal to their number crunching mentality.

Say I spot something neat at Origins at a vendor or trade. If there were a handful of "buy without hesitation" 18xx games what would they be?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

al-azad posted:

I'm certainly intimidated but I'll hold onto it. The guys I play with run their own companies so I think the heavier economic aspect will appeal to their number crunching mentality.

Say I spot something neat at Origins at a vendor or trade. If there were a handful of "buy without hesitation" 18xx games what would they be?

For me 1862, but I know Tekopo doesn't like it, so there's that. '17 for sure.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

1860 & 1862 are on the top of my list. 1856 is one I've been looking for as well but you are good there.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Lorini posted:

For me 1862, but I know Tekopo doesn't like it, so there's that. '17 for sure.
I only played 1862 a couple of times, but I kind of liked it. It's ugly as hell though. 1860 is alright, not really that exciting for me and kind of set in stone in terms of play, at least the times I've played it. 1817 is a loving masterpiece though.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say

I'm excited for 1844/1854 and 18CZ. They we're all designed by the same guys who designed Russian Railroads.

Edit: seconding 1817. That game seems almost comical in the amount of financial options/tools it provides you.

Durendal fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jun 1, 2016

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I might buy 1844/54 for 54 alone. 44 is...eh, well, the gimmick it has outstays its welcome.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Hey guys, I'm looking for a board game that I'd be able to play with my girlfriend. Our current go-to games are Tash-Kalar, Dominion and Pandemic, with the occasional Dungeon Petz. We're looking for another game to diversify the games that we can play together. Any recommendations?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

berenzen posted:

Hey guys, I'm looking for a board game that I'd be able to play with my girlfriend. Our current go-to games are Tash-Kalar, Dominion and Pandemic, with the occasional Dungeon Petz. We're looking for another game to diversify the games that we can play together. Any recommendations?

From the games you listed I could recommend Agricola, Race for the Galaxy, and Mage Knight. They are all good with two players (Race especially). Magic cards are also fun, but be careful they have an all consuming quality.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST
Tash-Kalar, someone talk to me about how to be good at this game.

Because I have no idea what I'm doing.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Had a few rounds of Legendary Encounters: Aliens. Good stuff and hard as we got swarmed every single time. How different in the Predator version?

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

TheCog posted:

Also interested in this. Recently acquired a copy of the base + a fire and an ice expansion, but haven't learned how to play yet. Doing that soon. What pitfalls should I avoid? What's good rules/tips to remember?

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Tash-Mystica?

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Tash-Kalar has an ice expansion and the Nethervoid expansion has demons which I guess could be considered fire?

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Merauder posted:

Also interested in this. Recently acquired a copy of the base + a fire and an ice expansion, but haven't learned how to play yet. Doing that soon. What pitfalls should I avoid? What's good rules/tips to remember?

TheCog posted:

Legendary Creatures aren't the end-all be-all effects. They're good, don't get me wrong, but you can totally win a game without ever firing one off. They're basically just immovable objects so if you do fire one off, try to get it off on a coloured space. Try to set up to take points multiple turns in a row. Don't just look at the active row, look at the upcoming ones as well.

When it comes to disrupting your opponent, don't set your own plans back, but if is so happens that you can do it without heavily disrupting your opponent, then so much the better. Also, don't be afraid to blow up your own pieces, if it ends up being a better trade-off with your opponent.

I don't recommend playing the ice expansion dudes in the first few games, they're very combo-heavy and can be difficult to play. The Barbarians play an aggressive combo game, and are really strong at disrupting your opponent's play. the Tree people play more of a ramp game, getting a bunch of small creatures out, and then upgrade the crap out of them through monster abilities. Very hard to disrupt due to their ability to spam out their units.

berenzen fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jun 1, 2016

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say

Bios: Genesis+Pax Renaissances+Pax Pamir expansion preorders are up

http://sierra-madre-games.eu

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say

Tekopo posted:

I might buy 1844/54 for 54 alone. 44 is...eh, well, the gimmick it has outstays its welcome.

I heard they fixed up the tunnels and a lot of issues with the board/city placements.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Machai posted:

Tash-Kalar has an ice expansion and the Nethervoid expansion has demons which I guess could be considered fire?

Yeah that's the one. I just based that on the orangish color of the package, and that the other one was ice-based.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

My LGS also had 1853 (the 20th anniversary) but that one doesn't seem popular even among 18xx players.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Durendal posted:

I heard they fixed up the tunnels and a lot of issues with the board/city placements.
Oh poo poo I meant it the other way around. I like Switzerland, it's Austria that has the lovely gimmick.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I was still waiting for my Cuba Libre, so I called GMT and it turns out the credit card had been declined, without letting me know. If you're still waiting too, give them a call

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

al-azad posted:

My LGS also had 1853 (the 20th anniversary) but that one doesn't seem popular even among 18xx players.

Wouldn't that be the 163rd anniversary?

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

al-azad posted:

Someone with the audacity to steal board games knows how much they're worth and they can only sell them to other people who know what they're worth.

I don't think this is true. Some Numbers, my game collection was stolen out of the trunk of my car a couple of years ago. I filed a report and got in touch with every game store I could think of in a wide radius, and posted on BGG too. I think I posted here as well. The only good to come of it was the remarkable kindness of BGG users offering me free replacements (for all the faults of BGG Gen Pop I will never seriously badmouth them, not after I got a free replacement Space Alert + New Frontier and was able to respectfully decline a few other things).

Thieves are just thieves. Whoever broke into my car took everything they could get their filthy hands on and I'd not be surprised if my games ended up in a dumpster somewhere. I don't mean to be a downer, you know, certainly take every possible step to put out the alarm and I genuinely hope your luck beats mine, but I'd not assume these guys are savvy board game consumers.

Only tip I'd add in is think carefully about special identifying markers. For example, my old copy of Space Alert had an X-Wing toy in it to represent the fighters, and magnetized badges. If you have customized your games in any way that could conceivably be useful proof for recovering them or possibly even in a court case.

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

what's the hive mind opinion on archipelago?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

SuperKlaus posted:

Only tip I'd add in is think carefully about special identifying markers. For example, my old copy of Space Alert had an X-Wing toy in it to represent the fighters, and magnetized badges. If you have customized your games in any way that could conceivably be useful proof for recovering them or possibly even in a court case.

My copy of Coup was sleeved, my copy of Tragedy Looper was sleeved and I had the tokens in pill bottles.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

SuperKlaus posted:

This is how I got my Magic cards back from a 6th grade thief. I had drawn a distinctive picture of Megaman on the inside cover of the card binder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
There you go, good, that could be useful. They hit you hard, even harder than me. I wish you the very best luck recovering your games and even seeing the perps prosecuted.

e: i guess what i'm saying is be sure to watch pawn shops and stuff, the thieves are probably just standard issue assholes and while game stores are smart to check they are more likely to try standard off-loading methods

SuperKlaus fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jun 1, 2016