Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica

Cultural Imperial posted:

just some good old canadian boys

fighting over a parking spot at costco

you canadians are the best

watching that in the COSTCO parking lot would have made my day, when you have kids and live a boring life that would be a month high highlight. I would have got a pop and $1 dog as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Newfie posted:

This is magical. :allears: Seriously, is it really a hassle to walk to the back of the parking lot? I usually park there on purpose to avoid the inane people like this.

If you look at how disgracefully loving obese most of the people in that video are, it will all begin to make sense.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
I actually got stuck behind a fist fight in a costco parking lot about a month ago. It was rather embarrassing.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

JUSTIN why aren't you protecting our Costcos!?!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Costco parking lots, or giant parking lots in general, are a great example of everything that's wrong with our society as a whole.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
They need those future Costco greeters from Idiocracy.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Apparently the kid ran in front of the car or something. And the guy was punching him with his keys. The other man has rage issues tho. So shitheads all around.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

I don't know about that Costco in particular, but there are a few that have parking lots that are too small to accommodate the number of cars they get on weekends. I've gone to one only to turn around and go home after realizing that every single spot was taken and I didn't want to battle for a spot.

Not that this excuses any of the behaviour of the people in the article...

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

TrueChaos posted:

I don't know about that Costco in particular, but there are a few that have parking lots that are too small to accommodate the number of cars they get on weekends. I've gone to one only to turn around and go home after realizing that every single spot was taken and I didn't want to battle for a spot.

This is actually good. Retail all having parking based on their absolute theoretical max is a ridiculous use of land. Only build parking based on typical daily levels and let people figure out to come on off-peak hours. Or at least leave this up to the retailer to decide rather than mandating by law maximum black friday levels of parking that sit empty 90% of the year.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

This is actually good. Retail all having parking based on their absolute theoretical max is a ridiculous use of land. Only build parking based on typical daily levels and let people figure out to come on off-peak hours. Or at least leave this up to the retailer to decide rather than mandating by law maximum black friday levels of parking that sit empty 90% of the year.

There's a service here in Calgary that will do a Costco shopping for you and deliver it. gently caress actually going to Costco.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Baronjutter posted:

This is actually good. Retail all having parking based on their absolute theoretical max is a ridiculous use of land. Only build parking based on typical daily levels and let people figure out to come on off-peak hours. .

It amazes me how many retirees can't figure this out. Seriously, you don't HAVE to shop on Saturday anymore. WHY ARE YOU HERE???

See also: Canadian voters.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

TrueChaos posted:

Driving in the GTA suburbs is bloodsport. Everyone is in competition with everyone else to get there 1 second faster, park 1 spot closer, and will do whatever it takes to win. The roads are massive and the parking lots are massive. It's a goddamn free for all and there's room for everyone but it's all about winning. Those people deserve one another.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

It's hilarious to me how people would rather park next to each other to save 20 seconds of walking, when you can pull through to have the easiest entry and exit and have no one beside you if you just aren't a lazy rear end in a top hat.

When I go to the supermarket on a weekend, I make sure not to drive because it's stressful nonsense and doesn't save me much time at all. Walking everywhere is the best, everyone should walk more.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
We should really just remove the "Pol" part of CanPol at this point because people aren't even trying anymore.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Cheryl Gallant Unloads On David MacNaughton, New Ambassador To U.S. posted:

]OTTAWA — Canada's ambassador to Washington was appointed as a cushy reward so he could lobby for his former clients, claimed outspoken Conservative MP Cheryl Gallant Monday in remarks the Liberal government said amounted to character assassination.

Gallant, the longtime MP for Renfrew—Nipissing Pembroke, told the Commons the appointment of David MacNaughton was simply outrageous. He is the former chairman of the Toronto government relations firm StrategyCorp and a former principal secretary to Ontario premier Dalton McGuinty.

"This is one at the same level as appointing a family member, like a nephew, to such a position. It is who one knows in the PMO for the government," she said.

"His appointment at taxpayer expense is his reward for having sat in the same office as the prime minister's principal secretary, the individual who controls everything the prime minister says and does," Gallant said, referring to Gerald Butts, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau's best friend and trusted advisor.

Butts worked for MacNaughton in McGuinty's office — later replacing him as the principal secretary to the Ontario premier. MacNaughton was also the one-time boss of Trudeau's chief of staff, Katie Telford, who worked at StrategyCorp prior to becoming the Liberals' campaign co-chair for the 2015 election.

Gallant went on to suggest that MacNaughton was the "prime minister's bully" and was given the job to line his own pockets. She referenced how he was named in a $1.5 million lawsuit by a disgruntled ex-Liberal candidate.

"Is this the way the Liberal Party is getting the taxpayer to pay MacNaughton's legal bill?" Gallant asked. "Give him a cushy job in Washington where he can lobby for his lobbying clients and add to his clientele list."

'Character assassination'

Liberal MP Kevin Lamoureux, the parliamentary secretary to the government House leader, suggested it was a good thing Gallant was standing inside the chamber — where parliamentary privilege protects her from slander lawsuits — rather than outside of it.

"Wow, what a job on character assassination."

MacNaughton's appointment was subject to the appropriate controls of the ethics commissioner, he said, and the ambassador had ensured all of his previous business arrangements were, and continue to be, in compliance.

Lamoureux noted that MacNaughton, who is well regarded in government and business circles, had a wide breadth of experience both in working with Liberals as well as Conservatives, and with governments abroad, including at federal and state levels in the United States.

"Ambassador MacNaughton brings with him an expertise that will provide the Canadian public, businesses and governments at every level a deep understanding of the various systems and leaders that will help Canada champion its interests in a renewed spirit of co-operation and promotion of every aspect of that relationship," Lamoureux said.

"His resumé speaks for itself. He has worked with various industries, sectors of our economy, key stakeholders, public and private alike, and countless governments from coast to coast to coast. He will do a fantastic job representing our business and stakeholder interests abroad."

The Trudeau government is focused on improving the Canada-U.S. relationship and MacNaughton will play a key role in strengthening that partnership, Lamoureux suggested.

Ex-U.S. ambassador Derek Burney, a former chief of staff to Progressive Conservative prime minister Brian Mulroney, told the Ottawa Citizen earlier this year that MacNaughton had the most vital ingredient for any diplomat in Washington: access, through close connections to Trudeau's inner circle.

"His asset in Washington and in Ottawa will be the fact that he is known to have the prime minister's confidence and to have the ability to get to the prime minister without going through a lot of filters. It will strengthen his capacity to get the job done," Burney is quoted saying.

But Gallant would have none of it.

Unlike prime minister Stephen Harper, who had appointed an NDP premier to Washington — Manitoba's Gary Doer — Trudeau had made a "sordid," "unethical" political appointment, she said.

"Cronyism is at its finest in the Liberal tradition," she said.

Gallant was particularly incensed that MacNaughton, someone with ties to the McGuinty Liberals, would be given a reward.

"MacNaughton is cursed by the taxpayers of Ontario for his time spent as principal secretary to Dalton McGuinty," she said, blaming him for Ontario's high electricity rates and large debt.

"Anyone whose name is linked directly or indirectly to former premier McGuinty should be disqualified for life from holding any government position."

She then went on to read comments from readers on a Postmedia story about the appointment, such as: "Way to go junior you've shown us that you really are ready to pork-barrel as well as anyone."

Lamoureux said it was "amazing" that Gallant felt she could come into the chamber and besmirch the character of an individual who had done so much serving his province and the country.

"The manner in which the member has brought forward issues, which are so beyond what is good parliamentary decorum, is completely uncalled for," he said. "There is no foundation in truth or merit to her arguments. I highly recommend that the member do a little more homework and look at what this individual has done for our country."

Cameron Ahmad, Trudeau's press secretary, told The Huffington Post Canada via email that the prime minister was "proud to appoint Mr. MacNaughton as Ambassador to the United States last fall, and is confident that he will continue to strengthen the Canada-US relationship moving forward."

Gallant keep Gallanting.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Helsing posted:

We should really just remove the "Pol" part of CanPol at this point because people aren't even trying anymore.

It's not our fault the most interesting things in Canadian politics lately are: police enforcing laws, a wildrose MP being an ignorant oval office, and our prime minister brushing past a person in parliament. What are we meant to discuss?

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.
Well, there's always things like solving problems with representative democracy in an irrational world, dealing with global power shifts resulting from transferring to a low carbon economy, a whole buttload of issues related to climate change, and various poisonous trade deals that seem to be largely a coup by the 1%.

Unfortunately all of these need beer to be solved properly. Preferably large amounts of xxxx craft beer.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Literally any of the things you listed would be a more interesting topic of discussion than airplane seating or parking at Costco. But besides that, "politics" doesn't just mean "current events". There's a shitload of stuff with political stuff to discuss. Both the governing party and the official opposition just had conventions, international events in which Canada is implicated happen every day, we're still on the verge of entering a "trade" pact that would have huge implications for every sector of the economy.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Gallant keep Gallanting.

Given the culture of the Ontario and Federal Liberals that all sounds completely plausible.

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

Please. Let me tell you all about how you're all idiots. I am of superior intellect here. Go suck some dicks. You have all fucking stupid opinions. This is my fucking opinion.
Everything is political. Especially fights at Costco. Get the hell of your high horse.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
I always get to park next to the entrance of the whole foods because they have priority parking for car coops. :smugdog:

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.
The government is running out of time to fix the Criminal Code to allow for physician-assisted suicide. I'm not sure what happens if they miss the deadline. It was already extended from 12 to 18 months.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Helsing posted:

Literally any of the things you listed would be a more interesting topic of discussion than airplane seating or parking at Costco. But besides that, "politics" doesn't just mean "current events". There's a shitload of stuff with political stuff to discuss. Both the governing party and the official opposition just had conventions, international events in which Canada is implicated happen every day, we're still on the verge of entering a "trade" pact that would have huge implications for every sector of the economy.

Given the culture of the Ontario and Federal Liberals that all sounds completely plausible.

Lets talk about the EU visa dispute for a change, and how the government is still being useless and stupid about it. No one seems to be worried about it at the moment, but if the EU makes good on its threats, we're going to suffer.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
imagine, weed is legalized before euthanasia

this loving country

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Pixelante posted:

The government is running out of time to fix the Criminal Code to allow for physician-assisted suicide. I'm not sure what happens if they miss the deadline. It was already extended from 12 to 18 months.

If they miss the deadline, all that means is that until Parliament gets around to writing a new law, the existing criminal ban on physician-assisted suicide is void. Any regulations on the practice that come from, say, the various physicians' colleges or provincial medical regulations will still be in force (unless they, too, get challenged), but nobody will be getting arrested for it.

(you may recognise this as the situation prevailing around, say, abortion).

As a bonus, several Senators are Deeply Unhappy about the bill for various reasons and because the government does not actually HAVE a compliant Senate caucus they likely can't steamroll the debate there with time allocation like they did in the Commons.

The Supreme Court deadline, for the record, is next Monday.

tl;dr:

Dallan Invictus posted:

fire up the death panels and clear the ice floes.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 23:48 on May 31, 2016

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

PT6A posted:

Lets talk about the EU visa dispute for a change, and how the government is still being useless and stupid about it. No one seems to be worried about it at the moment, but if the EU makes good on its threats, we're going to suffer.

we you Spain's tobacco industry

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
smoke weed until u die

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Dallan Invictus posted:

(you may recognise this as the situation prevailing around, say, abortion).

No assisted dying except in NS, where they'll do it but only at one clinic and they make you listen to your heartbeat first.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

blah_blah posted:

we you Spain's tobacco industry

I determined the best profit potential is in olive oil, and there are no duty free limits beyond the $800 cap.

€8/L in Spain for poo poo that costs $44/L here. Also, it's packed in tins and therefore cannot break in my hold luggage!

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

PT6A posted:

€8/L in Spain for poo poo that costs $44/L here. Also, it's packed in tins and therefore cannot break in my hold luggage!

So what's that, like $300/L in Arctic Bay?

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Arcsquad12 posted:

Gallant keep Gallanting.

I kind of want to become an MP now, just for the sake of reading Internet comments in the Commons. "KillAllLiberals writes..."

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Helsing posted:

We can still make fun of her for being 5 months late to the party.

brucio
Nov 22, 2004
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/hunter-tootoo-resigns-1.3609915

quote:

Hunter Tootoo resigns as Fisheries minister, leaves Liberal caucus[

Nunavut MP Hunter Tootoo has resigned from his position as Minister of Fisheries, Oceans and the Canadian Coast Guard, according to a statement from the prime minister's office.

The release says Tootoo will be taking time to seek treatment for addiction issues.

It says Dominic Leblanc will assume the role of Minister of Fisheries, Oceans and the Canadian Coast Guard, in addition to being Government House Leader.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Oh that's not good for optics. Not good at all.

Panas
Nov 1, 2009

Helsing posted:

Close allies prefer political appointments to the alternative of professional diplomats. Political appointments usually already have relationships with the leaders that are appointing them(which is true in this case), instead of the alternative which is someone who doesn't know the prime minister or president and is just a career diplomat. Career diplomats make lovely representatives in countries that you actually have an abiding interest in.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Panas posted:

Close allies prefer political appointments to the alternative of professional diplomats. Political appointments usually already have relationships with the leaders that are appointing them(which is true in this case), instead of the alternative which is someone who doesn't know the prime minister or president and is just a career diplomat. Career diplomats make lovely representatives in countries that you actually have an abiding interest in.

How dare you bring reality into the conversation! Justin Turdeau, liberals gonna lib, etc. etc. Trudeau did a thing, therefore it's bad, and it's up to us to figure out why it's bad.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.
so uh Hunter Tootoo just resigned?

Maybe someone was reading this thread and decided we needed something to talk about because wow

wait damnit, beaten

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Panas posted:

Sure, but these aren't mutually exclusive positions. I would assume that Trudeau picked somebody he felt he could trust to handle an important diplomatic appointment, but Liberals (and, for sure, Canadian politicians in general) also use their positions in government to enrich themselves.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

so uh Hunter Tootoo just resigned?

Maybe someone was reading this thread and decided we needed something to talk about because wow

wait damnit, beaten

The truth is that he's already shown greater insight than most by accepting that he needs to address addiction issues, and more than one MP has done similar things pretty recently, and he hasn't done anything untoward whilst under the influence, but he will still be an easy target because he's Inuit. I don't think there's really much else to discuss. I wish him well in addressing his issues, and I hope everyone else would do likewise.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

That's disappointing. I was really curious how he'd do in what's often considered a dead rat portfolio. The Fisheries part of DFO has a direct impact on people's livelihoods and quality of life. As a result DFO has occasionally topped the list of "Most Hated Government Department". Impressive when you consider they have the CCRA as competition and have to burn through all the good will generated by the CCG hauling wet arses out of the drink.

I wish him well. Pity previous ministers didn't do something similar about their alcohol addictions. Or maybe they weren't problem drinkers before they got the portfolio...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I kind of want him to stay on because resigning for addiction reasons probably means he's shown more introspection than most politicians are capable of.