Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

GimmickMan posted:

What happens to Bright? :smith:

He goes off to Zeon with the others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Yeaaaah, I think I'll stay away from that novelization as well. Was bad enough finding out Kiki commits suicide after a gang rape in the 8th ms team novel. The space Imperial Japan wins and goes on to oppress the earth. I take it that book doesn't have a very happy ending either?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Arcsquad12 posted:

Yeaaaah, I think I'll stay away from that novelization as well. Was bad enough finding out Kiki commits suicide after a gang rape in the 8th ms team novel. The space Imperial Japan wins and goes on to oppress the earth. I take it that book doesn't have a very happy ending either?

It's strongly implied another war is very shortly away.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

ImpAtom posted:

It's strongly implied another war is very shortly away.

Well, it's certainly true Tomino, then. But I'll stick with the tv show. Not quite as bleak. (slightly)

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

The novel ending is kind of grim, yes. Tomino said somewhere that if he had known more Gundam series were going to happen that he wouldn't have killed Amuro in the book. The novel did a lot to flesh out the universe - discussing some of the history and politics of the Universal Century that kind of got skipped in the Gundam series, and similar things. Origin is filling in some of those blanks, though, so it's not the only source for some of that information.

Not Dave
Aug 9, 2009

ATAI SUPER DRY IS
BREWED FROM QUALITY
ENGREDIENTS BY USING
OUR PURE CULTURE
YEAST AND ADVANCED
BREWING TECHNIQUES.
Didn't Tomino also have Kamille kill himself in the Zeta novels? Given the general excess of grimness he puts into the novels, I'm terribly curious to how the Victory Gundam novels go.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Y'all was the Ideon crossover manga ever translated?

I just assumed it was for the last few years since the Victory gaiden thing was translated, and that was packaged with it, but I'm having trouble finding anything online.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
In observance of Memorial Day in America, I will use it as an excuse to post Andrew WK Gundam music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpNk1xZ8bDs

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Seriously no matter what version I just love the piano music at the start of every version of Soldiers Of Sorrow.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
My favorite song on that album is Star Children.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fh3iG61loYg

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

MonsieurChoc posted:

My favorite song on that album is Star Children.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fh3iG61loYg

Seriously, this one pumps me up so much every time I hear it I want to slam in a Gundam game, mute the in game music and blow up mobile suits like crazy.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Just finished 25, so I am halfway done with Zeta now.
- I liked the design of the Psycho Gundam way may before it just transformed into a giant black gundam. It just being a menacing floating block of death would have been way more effective for me.
-I really enjoy Four and I can't really figure out why. She is interesting. I really like the episode where she gives the shuttle to Kamille. This series isn't the best at action scenes, in the action sense, but its really good at capturing a frantic energy.
-I like Zeta Gundam's legs.
-The song in the old opening was better, but I like the new stuff in this opening more.
-Jerid is back thank god. But now there is new Jerid lookalike right after the last one died, thankfully this one looks like a goblin so its way easier to tell the difference between Jerid and goblin Jerid.
-Scirocco is boring so far.
-Katz is a dummy who falls for the simplest tricks. But he did free Kamille from Jerid by pointing a gun at him so the kid is alright.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

PBS Newshour posted:

Just finished 25, so I am halfway done with Zeta now.
- I liked the design of the Psycho Gundam way may before it just transformed into a giant black gundam. It just being a menacing floating block of death would have been way more effective for me.
-I really enjoy Four and I can't really figure out why. She is interesting. I really like the episode where she gives the shuttle to Kamille. This series isn't the best at action scenes, in the action sense, but its really good at capturing a frantic energy.
-I like Zeta Gundam's legs.
-The song in the old opening was better, but I like the new stuff in this opening more.
-Jerid is back thank god. But now there is new Jerid lookalike right after the last one died, thankfully this one looks like a goblin so its way easier to tell the difference between Jerid and goblin Jerid.
-Scirocco is boring so far.
-Katz is a dummy who falls for the simplest tricks. But he did free Kamille from Jerid by pointing a gun at him so the kid is alright.

Four is good because she's Lalah done right, has a good voice-actress, design, backstory and theme.

So enjoying Four is the right opinion based on all the evidence.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

I selfishly wish Four had come with the crew, no matter how little sense it would make, just because I want an MA as a hero for once. Have the Psyco be towed behind the Argama. Make a scene where Psyco carries around Emma and Kamille on it's shoulders while they shoot at something. This franchise has had so many love interests pilot giant suits, but never be on the hero's side. Let the giant robots have their tiny boyfriends, imo.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

The GIG posted:

I selfishly wish Four had come with the crew, no matter how little sense it would make, just because I want an MA as a hero for once. Have the Psyco be towed behind the Argama. Make a scene where Psyco carries around Emma and Kamille on it's shoulders while they shoot at something. This franchise has had so many love interests pilot giant suits, but never be on the hero's side. Let the giant robots have their tiny boyfriends, imo.

I've got good news for you:

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

It didn't last all that long but you're right, I forgot about G-Reco. I should watch G-reco again now that it's been a while.

The GIG fucked around with this message at 13:05 on May 31, 2016

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

The GIG posted:

It didn't last all that long but you're right, I forgot about G-Reco. I should G-reco again now that it's been a while.

Yeah, i'm considering rewatching it as well. I'd want to get it on blu-ray first though.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

NikkolasKing posted:

Four is good because she's Lalah done right, has a good voice-actress, design, backstory and theme.

So enjoying Four is the right opinion based on all the evidence.

Four's story is "fake newtype made in a newtype lab, meets Kamille, they literally instantly fall in love, then she dies and Kamille feels really bad about it before Rosamia shows up for round two".

I mean she's cute and I don't hate the character or anything but she's one of the extreme low points of Zeta's writing.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Kanos posted:

Four's story is "fake newtype made in a newtype lab, meets Kamille, they literally instantly fall in love, then she dies and Kamille feels really bad about it before Rosamia shows up for round two".

I mean she's cute and I don't hate the character or anything but she's one of the extreme low points of Zeta's writing.

Four and the entire Cyber Newtype program are the epitome of one of Zeta's most fundamental themes. It's like Char says early on, Newtypes aren't weapons. Their combat prowess and psychic abilities are nice but that isn't what makes them special. Newtypes are humans who "naturally evolved" and are destined to bring peoploe together.

Four is some girl who was probably kidnapped, had her mind destroyed and was turned into a weapon. She was forced to change and she was made to kill. She is a Newtype but she is also an an anti-Newtype in terms of the idea of Newtypes. The Cyber Newtype program is one of the most important examples of just how evil and, perhaps more importantly, absolutely clueless the Titans are.

As for our two very angry teenagers, Four and Kamille actually have a few things in common. They have "Newtype Bonds" but their interactions still work well enough to explain why they feel so connected to each other. And acting like Kamille just gets over Four isn't fair. The kid has a lot of poo poo to deal with, he can't mope around all the time any more than Jerid can mope after Lila.

It's no coincidence that saving Four seems to be one of the most popular what-ifs in anything featuring her.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
Then seed destiny came along and did the whole thing again with Stella.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Ka0 posted:

Then seed destiny came along and did the whole thing again with Stella.

well, it was largely worse, because at least four could communicate and seemed somewhat human. All Stella did was scream about not wanting to die and wanting someone to protect her.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

I wish Seed Destiny had deviated from Zeta more than it did. Original Seed branched off from 0079 remake pretty quickly, but Destiny takes its sweet time.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

TheManSeries posted:

I wish Seed Destiny had deviated from Zeta more than it did. Original Seed branched off from 0079 remake pretty quickly, but Destiny takes its sweet time.

It doesn't really become its own thing until the three ships alliance and that's what, three fifth into the show?

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
I loved Four, but I never really understood what was going on with Rosamia. Did Kamille really fall for her or was he just pitying her and trying to keep the poor confused girl alive out of a sense of guilt? Because I got the latter out of their interactions.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Xinder posted:

I loved Four, but I never really understood what was going on with Rosamia. Did Kamille really fall for her or was he just pitying her and trying to keep the poor confused girl alive out of a sense of guilt? Because I got the latter out of their interactions.

Rosammy (as opposed to Rosamia, the Titan killing machine) was basically a terrified five-year-old. Kamille wanted to look out for her like he wanted to look out for Shinta and Qum.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Xinder posted:

I'm pretty sure Option B is all it ever was. Kamille had romantic feelings for precisely two people in Zeta and neither is that subtle. Kamille's feelings for Rosamy were entirely platonic and big brotherly because...well, that's how she treated him.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Droyer posted:

It doesn't really become its own thing until the three ships alliance and that's what, three fifth into the show?

Eh, not really. Once you get past the Desert Arc there's not a lot of 1-for-1 comparisons the way there are in the early show and even prior to that it's going in different directions. (Not always good ones but still.) Even then aside from Ramba Ral and Andy being pretty extremely similar they don't hit a lot of the same beats despite forcibly attempting to in some places. (Andy has no connection to Cagalli in comparison to Ramba and Sayla and so they kinda try to frame Cagalli's Desert Dawn membership in a similar way without it really working.)

That said Unicorn has probably made me a bit more forgiving of similar-but-different in comparison to its similar-but-similar ideas.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Droyer posted:

Something like that. It deviates right after Stella, because it immediately begins the shift to the Orb faction.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Related aside, has SRW or G Gen ever done a Four vs Stella scenario? It feels like something that should have happened by now.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The GIG posted:

Related aside, has SRW or G Gen ever done a Four vs Stella scenario? It feels like something that should have happened by now.

Yes, multiple times. Four is basically Stellar's big sister in SRWZ for example.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

NikkolasKing posted:

Four and the entire Cyber Newtype program are the epitome of one of Zeta's most fundamental themes. It's like Char says early on, Newtypes aren't weapons. Their combat prowess and psychic abilities are nice but that isn't what makes them special. Newtypes are humans who "naturally evolved" and are destined to bring peoploe together.

Four is some girl who was probably kidnapped, had her mind destroyed and was turned into a weapon. She was forced to change and she was made to kill. She is a Newtype but she is also an an anti-Newtype in terms of the idea of Newtypes. The Cyber Newtype program is one of the most important examples of just how evil and, perhaps more importantly, absolutely clueless the Titans are.

As for our two very angry teenagers, Four and Kamille actually have a few things in common. They have "Newtype Bonds" but their interactions still work well enough to explain why they feel so connected to each other. And acting like Kamille just gets over Four isn't fair. The kid has a lot of poo poo to deal with, he can't mope around all the time any more than Jerid can mope after Lila.

It's no coincidence that saving Four seems to be one of the most popular what-ifs in anything featuring her.

I understand what Four means thematically, it's just that Zeta executes her plot arc extremely poorly. It's extremely compressed to the point where the relationship seems jarring even by Newtype standards and Four basically exists in her own zone of the plot where nobody really cares about her existence except Kamille. Lalah was poignant because she was a living emblem of Char's direct hypocrisy. Four is an example of "Hey guys, the Titans are evil!", except we've already seen them beating up innocent people, gassing colonies, and murdering Kamille's mom. I would argue that even Stellar's "let's ape Four!" arc in Destiny was better done.

Four is extremely popular in what-if scenarios because she's a cute character and Zeta basically utterly wastes her, so people want to see her used better just like people like SRW games for their take on the Destiny plot.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
So after assembling a bunch of kits lately (sorry, Droyer), I've been thinking about mechanical design, and how a little bit of care and attention can really enhance your story and its setting. Any of you folks got any little details you especially like in particular suits' design? I'll start us off with a really recent example, the EB-06 Graze from Iron-Blooded Orphans, which is just this mass of clever little decisions by the dudes who drew it up.

Here's the standard EB-06/EB-06s Graze - a sleek, plain, functional-looking suit that basically embodies the 'modern military weapon' concept. The idea behind them is that they are indeed the only truly modern mobile suits, thanks to the paramilitary organisation Gjallarhorn's monopoly on the technology. Everyone else has to resort to refurbished Calamity War kit, or at least designs incorporating refurbished Calamity War kit - it's a major achievement for the criminal megacorp Teiwaz, for instance, that their suits are even mostly new. It's highly modular, capable of fulfilling a vast number of roles through simple part swaps. For instance, you can convert a spaceborne Graze for ground combat by simply shifting its thrusters from the hardpoints on its back to the one on its rear skirt, lowering the suit's centre of gravity in a way that's more useful under gravity. The armour fits loosely on the frame, making it easy to strip it away for maintenance or replace damaged parts. Notice the large wristguards and the hardpoints on them, too - they're designed to clip onto weapons like the rifle and shield, so that the suit is less likely to lose them in combat. The whole thing is kept as simple and idiot-proof as possible - it is, in its own manner, the pinnacle of suit design in a way that crazy elite suits like the Gundams aren't.

This, meanwhile, is McGillis's Grimgerde, one of the limited-run Valkyrie frames of the Calamity War. It's what the Graze was based on - a minimalist, high-mobility suit that eschewed the Gundam series's fancy gimmicks in favour of superb craftsmanship and rock-solid fundamentals. There's one really obvious difference from the Graze - the armour distribution. The legs are much skinnier than the Graze's big, solid pillars, while the huge shoulders and the two arm-mounted shields mean that the upper half is much better protected. That's a cool little bit of visual storytelling - the Calamity War was a war of mobile suits, and the Grimgerde was designed to fight against equals. The Graze, on the other hand, is built by an organisation that has a virtual monopoly on suits, and so its main opponents are tanks and infantry, who really only stand a meaningful chance of hurting the legs. It's literally all about stamping out resistance. Another little detail is that the Grimgerde's Ahab reactor is black, just like in every other suit in the show. Only the Graze has that signature yellow glow, showing that it's a modern machine that's benefited from three hundred years of technological recovery and development rather than a Calamity War relic.

This, meanwhile, is the EB-05s Schwalbe Graze, a high-manoeuvrability prototype that got restricted to elite pilot use because it was a bit too manoeuvrable and its test pilots kept crashing into things. You can immediately see that it's an older iteration of the Graze by its closer resemblance to the Grimgerde - it has two head sensors rather than one, and the longer, thinner command antenna looks much more like the Valkyrie's rabbit-ears. The back-mounted thrusters are also visibly more primitive, lacking the great big shields that protect the EB-06's ones. I decided to use an image of Gaelio's Schwalbe because it highlights another cool little detail that really demonstrates the Graze's design philosophy - the lance.

The Graze rifle, just like the suit itself, is a modular design, capable of being reconfigured for different mission roles. The barrel can be extended with an attachment for accuracy (or you can forego the attachment to make the gun easier to handle in close quarters), and there's a bit underneath that guards the suit's fragile hand and locks onto the wristguard to ensure stability. Magazines can be attached to either side, with the hole on the other becoming the ejection port for shell-casings. The standard configuration actually attaches box magazines on either side - one full, one empty - in order to prevent the combat area getting showered with casings. Gjallarhorn protects shipping across the solar system, so any accidents caused by space debris are coming out of their budgets. So what does this have to do with that lance? Simple. It's not some special, unique weapon, it's a Graze rifle with a few parts swapped out. The extended barrel is removed, the two box magazines are replaced with a single pan mag, and the hand-guard is replaced with that gigantic lance attachment (which is also compatible with the Graze's wrist hardpoint). For the rulers of the solar system, even wacky gizmos like that are standardised and par for the course.

The EB-06j Graze Ground Type feels to me like the original Graze design of this generation, which makes sense considering that Gjallarhorn is an Earth-based organisation. The longsword and flat feet resemble those of the Grimgerde, and it has hip-mounted thrusters that were clearly simplified and scaled down from those pioneered by the Schwalbe Graze. Presumably, you could fit an EB-06 with thrusters on its hips and back, but then you'd get the problems with the Schwalbe all over again.

Finally, there's Carta's EB-06rs Graze Ritter. The Ritters are ceremonial suits not designed for front-line combat, a blast from Gjallarhorn's heroic past, and so they're optimised for a forgotten form of warfare - mobile suit combat. They don't just share their Valkyrie ancestors' weapons, but also their design priorities - their massive pauldrons and enhanced chest armour are designed to defend against attacks from an angle that no soldier or mobile worker could reach. They aren't terror weapons, but larger-than-life saviours, designed to remind the crowds they perform in front of what Gjallarhorn protected them from.

So yeah, I like cool little details in my mechanical design, and the Graze family are full of them. They really make them feel like actual parts of a world, rather than just things that look badass. Any cool little details in Gundam mech design you like?

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

It's not exactly design details in the same way, but I did like nearly all of the G-IT Lab's Mechs from g-reco being callbacks to UC mechs. It was a neat detail considering they were essentially history buffs.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I really like the dust canvases applied to the RX-79[G] in 8th MS Team when they're on the desert operation. Same thing for the joint covers on the Thunderbolt Mobile Suits. It seems rather obvious thing to do, but it's a nice touch to show them taking environmental wear into account.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Arcsquad12 posted:

I really like the dust canvases applied to the RX-79[G] in 8th MS Team when they're on the desert operation. Same thing for the joint covers on the Thunderbolt Mobile Suits. It seems rather obvious thing to do, but it's a nice touch to show them taking environmental wear into account.

Covered joints are really cool, it's one of the reasons I really like the Penelope. You know, aside from everything.

Darth Walrus posted:

Any cool little details in Gundam mech design you like?

It's less 'little details' and more 'design history', but I love the evolution of mobile suits in the Universal Century. Starting from mobile workers, MS design eventually evolved into more combat oriented roles, ending in the Zaku II, which reigned supreme until the Gundam came into place.

That started the arms war for designs with more armor to better withstand MS beam weaponry, which resulted in newer more powerful beam weapons to pierce that, spiraling out of control and resulting in gigantic MSes as things like ifields and minovsky craft got scaled down to MS level. Until eventually no armor could withstand stuff like VSBRs, which resulted in a super fast turnaround to tiny suits focused more on mobility. It feels like a logical endpoint to the technology curve, and I like that sort of stuff.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Droyer posted:

It's not exactly design details in the same way, but I did like nearly all of the G-IT Lab's Mechs from g-reco being callbacks to UC mechs. It was a neat detail considering they were essentially history buffs.

There's a bunch of neat little things in G-Reco's mech design. Some more examples:

* Grimoires are inspired by the Acguy, and have three eyes because of the extra track that suit has for its monoeye.

* The Capital Army specialises in aerial warfare, so their suits' legs are designed less for walking around and more for murdering the poo poo out of the enemy with all the weapons packed into them.

* Amerian suit design advancing is signified by them gradually transitioning from their big round ball cockpits to more conventional torso designs, with the Grimoire and Jahannam as the starting point and the Hecate and Space Jahannam at the end.

* Every faction uses a particular colour of beam weaponry, so the G-Self's unique pink beams are a signifier of it being a combination of Venusian (red) and Towasangan (white) technology. Similarly, its Towasangan heritage is why it's eyes are so big.

* The Wuxias used by Becker and his merry band of lunatics are designed to hold their guns sideways. This is a practical measure to keep the firing lines of their arm gatlings clear... and makes them look like undisciplined idiots playing at war, which they are.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

There's a bunch of neat little things in G-Reco's mech design. Some more examples:

* Grimoires are inspired by the Acguy, and have three eyes because of the extra track that suit has for its monoeye.

* The Capital Army specialises in aerial warfare, so their suits' legs are designed less for walking around and more for murdering the poo poo out of the enemy with all the weapons packed into them.

* Amerian suit design advancing is signified by them gradually transitioning from their big round ball cockpits to more conventional torso designs, with the Grimoire and Jahannam as the starting point and the Hecate and Space Jahannam at the end.

* Every faction uses a particular colour of beam weaponry, so the G-Self's unique pink beams are a signifier of it being a combination of Venusian (red) and Towasangan (white) technology. Similarly, its Towasangan heritage is why it's eyes are so big.

* The Wuxias used by Becker and his merry band of lunatics are designed to hold their guns sideways. This is a practical measure to keep the firing lines of their arm gatlings clear... and makes them look like undisciplined idiots playing at war, which they are.

all of these are cool, but the first one kinda seems like a stretch. you got a source on it?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Here's my fun mecha design tidbit: G-Reco's Grimoire is the best thing ever.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Droyer posted:

all of these are cool, but the first one kinda seems like a stretch. you got a source on it?

Not particularly, but all of the Amerian suits are based on iconic Zeon designs. The Jahannam is the Zaku I, a somewhat dweeby, out-of-shape prototype design. The Space Jahannam is the Zaku II, its bulkier, more intimidating mainstay big brother with heavier shoulder armour (and a shield that fits with its shoulder armour in a manner reminiscent of the MS-06's big flat shoulder-plate). The Montero is the Gouf, a blue ace suit with a whip. The Hecate is the Dom, a heavily-armoured assault suit with an unusual head design and a huge gun. The Armorzagan is a Bigro that can turn into a Big Zam.

That leaves a short, round special-ops suit with a domed head and a dark colour scheme. Even before you take into account the eye thing, the Grimoire's parallels with the Acguy are pretty clear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I am sorta surprised how well unicorn and this song goes together.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5jnaextwrQ