Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Demon_Corsair posted:

I hate that you have no idea what their actual prices are. Sure $44 a month for DSL 25 is great but then throw on another 7-27 dollars for dry loop, and suddenly a great deal is more than I'm paying now. Is there any way to get an actual price from them?
Dry loop if you need one in Telus land is something like $7 but as mentioned you do need to buy a modem. I would just call them or use their online customer service chat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

slidebite posted:

Dry loop if you need one in Telus land is something like $7 but as mentioned you do need to buy a modem. I would just call them or use their online customer service chat.

Or dslreports if you're an antisocial sperg like me; they have good, official help forums there.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Holy hell this is a hot deal for Internet in Rogers land:
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/rogers-rogers-ignite-gigabit-digital-vip-lava-hot-99-month-1992061/

Rogers Ignite GIGABIT (1gbps down, 50mbps up)
Rogers Digital VIP (365+ channels)
Unlimited Usage
Modem Included
HDPVR Included
Shomi Subscription (2yrs)
NHL GCL Subscription (1yr)
$99/mo for 2 years

Deal with the devil and all that. I'm paying over 80/mo for 100mbps with rogers and I don't have any tv whatsover so it's tempting. 2 year term.

Rukus
Mar 13, 2007

Hmph.

EngineerJoe posted:

Holy hell this is a hot deal for Internet in Rogers land:
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/rogers-rogers-ignite-gigabit-digital-vip-lava-hot-99-month-1992061/

Rogers Ignite GIGABIT (1gbps down, 50mbps up)
Rogers Digital VIP (365+ channels)
Unlimited Usage
Modem Included
HDPVR Included
Shomi Subscription (2yrs)
NHL GCL Subscription (1yr)
$99/mo for 2 years

Deal with the devil and all that. I'm paying over 80/mo for 100mbps with rogers and I don't have any tv whatsover so it's tempting. 2 year term.

Goes to show you what (absolutely minimal) competition and cord-cutting can do. It's for new activations only, so they must really want their numbers back up.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Make that plan the new CRTC skinny basic.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
No gigabit internet at my postal code so I'll contain my excitement.

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
Yeah, Bell just got me a bunch of their Fibe TV stuff for $1 on top of my gigabit Fibe (~960/100) connection per month. Two years, no contract. So I finally caved on having broadcast TV in the house. It's OK so far and the wife is enjoying it a bit. Yay!

Put in a calendar event for 22 months from now so you can decide whether or not you should be keeping anything.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
What VPN are people using now? I want something so I can sub to CBS All Access for the upcoming Big Brother season and wouldn't mind US Netflix again as a bonus. UnblockUS seems to be out for Netflix, and while I liked Private Internet Access it doesn't play well with my Apple TV box/smart TV. I guess I could get PIA and airplay everything if I had to.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
Borderless is pretty great. They have to be reactive as well, but unlike Unblock they are pretty active on social media / reddit and actively respond to geoblock updates.

Also: gently caress all of you with gigabit.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Just saw that Telus is now raising my internet bill by $5 per month. Coincidentally, they increased my bandwidth limit by 50gb a month or two back and my overage fee used to be $5 per 50gb.

What a surprise!

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
That $5 increase was actually a blanket cost across all accounts, I believe. I did not notice the extra 50GB they added to the data cap because I pay the unreasonable $30 for unlimited.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Bleh. I'm thinking about paying another $5 more to switch to 25mb but apparently all their modems have built in wi-fi routers now. Do they still have any modem only modems?

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Not sure about that, but you can disable the wifi.

Rukus
Mar 13, 2007

Hmph.

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Not sure about that, but you can disable the wifi.

If the modem/router supports bridge mode absolutely put it into that, as double NAT-ing just makes things more difficult. I had a Rogers tech out when I switched back from Teksavvy and he just told me that turning off the wifi will put it into bridge mode (even though there's an option on the main page of the config). I feel bad for all those less-technically inclined that are now having issues with their game consoles yelling at them that their NAT is strict due to this.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Shaw's launched their 150/15 internet plans today. Regular price is $135, with a two year contract it's $49.90 for the first year if you're a new customer and $79.90 for the second year with a rate guarantee. Existing customers signing a single play contract get $79.90 for two years with a rate guarantee.

Edit: Clarified difference in promos for new vs. existing customers

Coxswain Balls fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jul 15, 2016

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Coxswain Balls posted:

Shaw's launched their 150/15 internet plans today. Regular price is $135, with a two year contract it's $49.90 for the first year and $79.90 for the second year with a rate guarantee. Existing customers signing a single play contract get $79.90 for two years with a rate guarantee.

What's the data cap?

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

priznat posted:

What's the data cap?

1TB with no overage charges. Apparently there's also an unlimited package for $99.90 with a 2 year contract, but only time will tell if the bandwidth team gets stricter about going over the cap than they have been in the past. In my experience I've only seen them getting in touch with people who are having a detrimental effect on the node, and/or they're going over by significant amounts.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Hmm, that is very interesting! I will have to check and see if that is available in my hood.

I'm on the Telus 50 with unlimited and it about the same.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
I wonder how to tell if Shaw has fixed the congestion on my node yet. I had to switch to telus when I moved because my 100mbps Shaw plan slowed down to about 5mbps in the evenings at my new place.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Hit me up via PM and I can take a look.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
What's the biggest difference between shaws business plans and resi? I'm paying $129 for business 50Mb down, 5Mb up but am I actually gaining anything by doing business? Speed wise it's always at or over those numbers but I can't think of anything more. Should I just switch to resi to get that sweet 150? Business prices are nuts for the 100Mb

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Static IP and much faster service calls if you need them are the big ones. Possibly an SLA as well, but I could be wrong on that, or it depends on the plan you have; I don't deal with business much so I'm not sure on that point.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Are those 150 prices with modem rental or no?

bigmandan
Sep 11, 2001

lol internet
College Slice

Nitr0 posted:

What's the biggest difference between shaws business plans and resi? I'm paying $129 for business 50Mb down, 5Mb up but am I actually gaining anything by doing business? Speed wise it's always at or over those numbers but I can't think of anything more. Should I just switch to resi to get that sweet 150? Business prices are nuts for the 100Mb

Is this service at a residence or a business? Most providers will only sell business services if the physical location is a business.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

priznat posted:

Are those 150 prices with modem rental or no?

Yeah, the modem is a free rental on or off contract. It's a dual band Cisco DPC3848V or Hitron CGNM-2250 with 24 downstream/8 upstream channels, which you should be able to bridge on the 150 plan. I prefer a standalone router myself, honestly.

bigmandan posted:

Is this service at a residence or a business? Most providers will only sell business services if the physical location is a business.

Shaw's able to offer residential/SOHO business plans. The one that people get uptight about (here, at least) are residential services at commercial addresses, due to VoD and PPV licensing and the like.

Coxswain Balls fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jul 15, 2016

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

For those that buy the new Shaw plan, I would be curious as to what line speeds are actually observed on a daily basis. As it stands I pay less than that for my 100/20 fiber line from Telus, but I realize that isn't available to everyone.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Outside of saturated nodes you'll be getting speeds at or slightly above the advertised rate due to how the modems are provisioned, and on the whole saturated nodes are few and far between since completing the analog reclamation in large parts of our footprint. We'll see how that holds up with the aggressive push to have everyone on the 150 plan, but the higher ups seem hopeful. Theoretically the faster speeds should get people off the network quicker, so it may end up helping saturation in the end. Again, I can run reports on neighbourhoods to see if you're in an area that may have issues if you PM me.

SamKnows has been doing independent testing of ISPs in Canada, and HFC services seem to be doing pretty well across the board in preliminary reports. I've always gotten my full 100Mbps plan every time I've checked, but it definitely comes down to location and circumstances.

http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/publications/reports/rp160317/rp160317.htm

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Coxswain Balls posted:

Yeah, the modem is a free rental on or off contract. It's a dual band Cisco DPC3848V or Hitron CGNM-2250 with 24 downstream/8 upstream channels, which you should be able to bridge on the 150 plan. I prefer a standalone router myself, honestly.

Same. It's an annoying thing about Telus, although you can access secret settings to set their modem/switch to bridged to skip all the lameness. But they don't make it easy!

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Yeah, with Shaw it's just a matter of having the right modem for your plan and requesting it to be bridged. The dual band modems can't be bridged on the slower plans because of inventory reasons; no reason to install a dual band modem somewhere if the wifi router part is just going to be switched off and a bridged single band modem with 8 DOCSIS channels will work just fine.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
I'm fairly certain Shaw is seeing the beginning of the end of TV cable service and this is the first step to get people on board with fast internet before bringing the price up to 150 dollars a month.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

bigmandan posted:

It's a residential house but I do a lot of critical business work from my house that requires Internet.

For kicks I phoned the business line and they gave me business 150 for $129 a month no contract. Had to get a new modem and go through tech support to bridge it but other than that it was pretty painless. I'm getting bursts of up to 230Mb/s down and 20Mb up. Usually settles at the normal 150 15

The best part is when I went to the shaw office to trade modems the two women at the desk were being so snarky and lovely to me. "We can't swap your modem because 150 is not available in this city" I said whatever just swap it anyways so when you do get it I can just phone in. She acted like such a shithead through the whole process, just condescending and holier than thou attitude. Then I go home and oh look it works even better than what I paid for. gently caress you stupid rep at the store

Nitr0 fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jul 16, 2016

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Nitr0 posted:

The best part is when I went to the shaw office to trade modems the two women at the desk were being so snarky and lovely to me. "We can't swap your modem because 150 is not available in this city" I said whatever just swap it anyways so when you do get it I can just phone in. She acted like such a shithead through the whole process, just condescending and holier than thou attitude. Then I go home and oh look it works even better than what I paid for. gently caress you stupid rep at the store

Feel free to PM me the details and I'll have a chat with whomever the feedback needs to go to. That sounds pretty lovely, and it should be very clear where it is and isn't available (and it's available in a very large majority of Shaw's footprint).

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Sort of related to Canadian ISP, are there any legit Canadian services that offers streaming of TV via the internet?

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Zazeen is the one I know of. Keep in mind, these services are bonafide tv services regulated by the CRTC so they have to comply with all the crap cable companies have to comply with (canadian content, must carry, etc.).

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007
If you don't want to switch internet providers, Zazeen is the only real contender. They've managed to sell un-bundled service while everyone else has forced bundling it with their internet (they claim regulation but.... clearly Zazeen could do it, even if a loophole).

Rukus
Mar 13, 2007

Hmph.
Anyone familiar with how TPIAs buy their throughput/bandwidth from the incumbents? Is it fixed to matching download & upload blocks, or can it be asymmetrical? When looking at the ETA for my backups to get to ACD I was just pondering how well a TPIA provider would do that had higher uploads and lower(ish) downloads. This would appeal to those that need it for cloud-based applications (like photo editors) you hear about in the news when they talk about our third-world infrastructure.

I know DOCSIS is inherently designed to favour downloads, but there's gotta be more room than 20-50mbps that we're getting now.

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007

Rukus posted:

Anyone familiar with how TPIAs buy their throughput/bandwidth from the incumbents? Is it fixed to matching download & upload blocks, or can it be asymmetrical? When looking at the ETA for my backups to get to ACD I was just pondering how well a TPIA provider would do that had higher uploads and lower(ish) downloads. This would appeal to those that need it for cloud-based applications (like photo editors) you hear about in the news when they talk about our third-world infrastructure.

I know DOCSIS is inherently designed to favour downloads, but there's gotta be more room than 20-50mbps that we're getting now.

TPIA are restricted to the same speed packages the incumbents lay out, and I don't see this changing any time soon.

They can make their own pseudo packages (throttle a faster package slower), but they're still charged the price of the full connection by the incumbent.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Looks like that zazeen is only available back east or is that just for internet service?

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007
Ah right, I think they're mostly Ontario (and Quebec?). I think the only people that operate out west is vMedia and requires bundling on their internet (which is awful, notoriously congested with heavy handed throttling to keep their costs low)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Rukus posted:

TPIAs purchase a physical access circuits (n*1/10/40/100gbps) and then purchase symmetrical bandwidth in (generally) 100mbps blocks that flow across those access circuits.

Downstream (to end user) bandwidth utilisation is massively higher than upstream.

Pretty well all broadband access tech (cable/dsl/gpon) is limited in upload capabilities in some way to reduce costs.