Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

Crossbows are swell and I use them all the time and now I am going to go do dual crossbow fast rolling and will report back.

you don't have dual wield, or power-stance moves, for 2 crossbows, so having 2 of them doesn't give you any tangible benefit? does firing the left hand interrupt the reload animation for the right hand, and then magically the right hand is now reloaded, and you can just alternate back and forth gatling-gun style? that's the only possible way I could see that approaching usefulness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

homeless poster posted:

you don't have dual wield, or power-stance moves, for 2 crossbows, so having 2 of them doesn't give you any tangible benefit? does firing the left hand interrupt the reload animation for the right hand, and then magically the right hand is now reloaded, and you can just alternate back and forth gatling-gun style? that's the only possible way I could see that approaching usefulness.

I made a light crossbow and an arbalest +9 because sometimes I need to make weight and sometimes I need more stopping power so I have 2 crossbows.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

1 for 2 but the second guy flasked 3 times and I didn't.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
My greatest PvP moments have been me VS host/invader, and none of us flasked. I'm not a honournerd who wants bowing before engaging but that has been the greatest ever. DLC better bring variable geometry arenas.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
A dual crossbow invasion build probably wouldn't kill anything but it sure would be annoying as hell.

Until they pop a giant's seed and then you just die.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Blech. Which is the worst bonfire to boss run? Consumed King seems like the worst because you've got to avoid those little wallhangers, take a lift, stab a dude that's in the way then take out the two knights so you can summon help.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

3-1-1 with dual crossbows and the one loss was a guy who got angry and flasked so I think all of you are talking jive.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

SynthOrange posted:

Blech. Which is the worst bonfire to boss run? Consumed King seems like the worst because you've got to avoid those little wallhangers, take a lift, stab a dude that's in the way then take out the two knights so you can summon help.

Sometimes a shortcut is not actually a shortcut and the original route is preferable.
The Champ is probably the worst, just in terms of the damage you can take if you gently caress up a little bit, then Vordt, and then maybe Consumed King or the Deacons. The boss runs are very short and easy in this compared to DS1/2.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Deacons is probably the worst but that would require dying to the Deacons.

For actually hard bosses its probably Dragonslayer Armour just because the elevator is so painfully slow for no loving reason.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Internet Kraken posted:

Deacons is probably the worst but that would require dying to the Deacons.

For actually hard bosses its probably Dragonslayer Armour just because the elevator is so painfully slow for no loving reason.

Deacons is a quick run from Rosaria's: cross the raised platform, run to elevator

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

yea deacons doesn't have that bad a runback

Domattee posted:

Sometimes a shortcut is not actually a shortcut and the original route is preferable.
The Champ is probably the worst, just in terms of the damage you can take if you gently caress up a little bit, then Vordt, and then maybe Consumed King or the Deacons. The boss runs are very short and easy in this compared to DS1/2.

the consumed king shortcut is absolutely the preferred route because of the toxin, the giant shadow snake things, and the inaccessible mage on a roof shooting you. the shortcut is really easy to get back from

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Kobogartimer posted:

Demon's Souls is art. Dark Souls 1 is magical but tragically unfinished. Dark Souls 2 is a good game, and impressive mechanically, but fails to capture what made DS1. Bloodborne is a true and complete masterpiece. DS3 also fails to capture the magic of DS1, but instead creates some of its own. Mechanically baffling. Serviceable and a Good Game.

To recap: Bloodborne > DS1 > DS3 > DeS > DS2

Bloodborne had the tragic fault of not having a good invasion system. Basically killed most of the replay value it might have had for me and I was back at DkS2 in like a month.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

LegoPirateNinja posted:

Deacons is a quick run from Rosaria's: cross the raised platform, run to elevator

Hell, you can get clever, pull the lever from Rosaria's side, and jump onto the bridge as it's lowering to avoid having to take the elevator.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Has anyone actually died from Deacons aside from the very first time maybe?

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

sector_corrector posted:

Is it just me, or the Kukuri a much better option than almost any bow? Not having to switch off your main, faster fire speed, pretty solid damage (on a quality build), and bleed proc.

Those ninja skeletons in the catacombs (how are you so fast, you don't have any loving muscles) certainly use them effectively.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

argondamn posted:

Bloodborne had the tragic fault of not having a good invasion system. Basically killed most of the replay value it might have had for me and I was back at DkS2 in like a month.

I'd reinstall BB if invasions were more common outside of eternally ringing areas :argh: but when invasions were running things were perfect, damnit

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

SynthOrange posted:

My deacons runs:

1st time I was summoned as a sunbro and we beat them easily
2nd time I was the host, summoned Anri and Harold and they were utterly useless - they didn't attack the red enemy, just whoever was nearby. Harold and Anri both died, and I got myself killed by pressing the wrong button (I meant to heal, and hosed up) just before a heat-seeking dark spell hit me from the other side of the room.
3rd time I got a single phantom and equipped myself with a greatsword and we stomped 'em.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

sector_corrector posted:

Is it just me, or the Kukuri a much better option than almost any bow? Not having to switch off your main, faster fire speed, pretty solid damage (on a quality build), and bleed proc.

It's not useful against agile foes (read: anything that can move to the side even slightly), and you can't prime a shot like you can with a bow. It works more like a crossbow than a regular bow in the sense that there's an unavoidable windup before your shot fires. Still a solid choice though.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

I forgot the Rosaria Fire and the Dragonslayer Armor. Probably Champ - Vordt - Armor for me then.

Manatee Cannon posted:

yea deacons doesn't have that bad a runback

the consumed king shortcut is absolutely the preferred route because of the toxin, the giant shadow snake things, and the inaccessible mage on a roof shooting you. the shortcut is really easy to get back from

If you're fighting things you don't absolutely have to it's not a boss run. The shortcut is a little faster but you're way more likely to take damage in the process. The original route is very safe if you remember to send the elevator back up.

DoYouHasaRabbit
Oct 8, 2007
The zone between Anor Londo and Pontiff is obnoxious. I was in a pickle when I couldn't beat those drat Aldrich dogs so I used an ember to get more health. They were killing me in 2 hits even with all my health. Proceed to get invaded constantly. Finally beat the dogs and join Aldrich's covenants so I WON'T get invaded. Couldn't even make it up the ladder before going into an invasion and it spawned me back at the bottom of the ladder.

Ended up dying to two invaders and just ran through unembered to Anor Londo.

I guess it could be worse. At least it's not the Belltower I guess?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

it's a lot faster and you only get into a fight in the shortcut if you don't send the elevator back up. the normal route is worse on about every level. I can't even think of a single regular route that is quicker or easier than the shortcuts you open up

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

SynthOrange posted:

My first playthrough of this game sure was a helluva thing. :suicide:

I don't think I've died on any playthrough since then.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

SynthOrange posted:

When I am rushing through the game and don't yet have a good weapon or the stats it becomes kinda difficult. Same with Crystal Sage.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
I always do max summons for the deacons because the extra health from the stupid npcs lets you clown around a bit more in that fight. Swinging around Morne's Hammer and watching them fly everywhere and then Wrath of the Godsing them all apart as they rise in the second phase is pure bliss.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

SynthOrange posted:

I died twice to deacons my first playthrough. first time to that weird charge spell in the final form without realizing what it was, 2nd time by trying to be clever and hiding behind the statue in the middle to avoid it (this doesnt work)

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
Why is it that I can only summon one person any more (or NPC)? All the others disappear when I summon

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Crack those knuckles.

oneof3steves
Oct 25, 2007

Sgulp
I feel like Deacons could actually be a really good fight, but was tuned to be too easy. On NG++ with a weapon/setup that isn't good for them it's fun and challenging and you actually see and think about some of their abilities.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Harvey Wallbanger posted:

My pure pyro, no weapons run is getting viciously wrecked by Oceiros, of all things...Pontiff only took me like 6 tries, Dancer probably 7, I'm at like 20 and counting on ol dragon-dad. It's basically because I rushed 40att/30int/30fth and consequently have no health so literally all his moves 1-shot me.

This run has been FUN though. I recommend it, some stuff is trivially easy and some stuff is unexpectedly hard, it's a different but satisfying playstyle overall.

...cant wait to fight the champ :suicide:

It's because Oceiros is likes to charge if you have any distance between you, and his charges do a fuckton and are hard to avoid. If you're not using a shield, a good option would be to close in and try to stay under him. Casters usually try to keep their distance and that gets punished in this fight. Throw a handful of Great Chaos Fireballs when opportunity arises and he's toast.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I summoned Hawkwood because I couldnt find any player summon signs and let him draw all of Consumed's attention while I fireballed him.

I'm almost done with my pyro run and overall it's like the difficulty's inverted from my melee fighter. Fights that pasted my bleed build I breezed past with fireballs, and fights that were easy turned out to be super hard. Except the Deacons, Wolnir and Dancer, both fights were easy/easy/hard respectively. Some fights were really tough because I didnt have the armor or health to take the hits and died in one shot. Still have to face the cripple twins though.

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jun 1, 2016

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Internet Kraken posted:

Forget about that one, use the Dragon Barracks bonfire instead (the one before the bridge with the dragons) because if you've killed the dragons and opened the main gate it's a short and easy runback and all you have to do is dodge one sword knight.

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

MrLonghair posted:

My greatest PvP moments have been me VS host/invader, and none of us flasked. I'm not a honournerd who wants bowing before engaging but that has been the greatest ever. DLC better bring variable geometry arenas.

Yesssss!!! Bring back the blood covenant arena battles from dark souls 2! I loved never being able to rank up as I progressed once in the covenant to get instantly sent back down again as I lose a single match!

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Can someone clarify the Dancer of Boreal Valley's grab attack to me? Sometimes when sometimes the grab happens and she then immediately slams the character to the ground in a fiery burst. Other times it seems like she's performing a crushing attack or something but then no damage happens and my character just falls out of it and is fine? What is happening here? Can it be mashed out of or if you have high enough stamina do you outlast the attack or something?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I have never seen that second thing.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

turtlecrunch posted:

My first playthrough of this game sure was a helluva thing. :suicide:

I don't think I've died on any playthrough since then.

Okay, yeah, I can see why the deacons would be a threat.

I always play a melee in DS, and I just happened to rock a halberd so this took alot less time for me. Street sweepin' with the one-hand and two hand R2s

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

SynthOrange posted:

I have never seen that second thing.

I'm trying to make it happen a third time, if I do I'll upload video.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Uuuuugh if I killed you once it means I dont want you to summon me, dead lady.

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

Neo Rasa posted:

Can someone clarify the Dancer of Boreal Valley's grab attack to me? Sometimes when sometimes the grab happens and she then immediately slams the character to the ground in a fiery burst. Other times it seems like she's performing a crushing attack or something but then no damage happens and my character just falls out of it and is fine? What is happening here? Can it be mashed out of or if you have high enough stamina do you outlast the attack or something?

I think you were spamming your straight sword so hard the dancer forgot that you staggered her. Basically every one of her grabs hits you for a huge amount of damage but you happened to hit her at the right time and get no damage from her grab. Happened to me during the nameless king as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEdv4yRXno4

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

MarshyMcFly posted:

I think you were spamming your straight sword so hard the dancer forgot that you staggered her. Basically every one of her grabs hits you for a huge amount of damage but you happened to hit her at the right time and get no damage from her grab. Happened to me during the nameless king as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEdv4yRXno4

This is exactly what happened. :O "Hurray for attacking!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
wait wait does Carthus Flame Arc really have like no int/faith requirement? why doesn't literally everyone use this?