Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
The best costuming is when Apocalypse gives three horsemen nearly full body armor but only gives Psylocke a leotard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Is it me or did the Magneto helmet look really bad in Apocalypse? It looked like they made a bigger one that didn't quite fit right.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

WHOOPS posted:

The best costuming is when Apocalypse gives three horsemen nearly full body armor but only gives Psylocke a leotard.

Clearly she needs the ease of movement. Gymnasts don't wear leather bodysuits, you know.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

BrianWilly posted:

Nightcrawler's was openly red. I think even Jean and Scott's end-of-film suits are pretty distinct and really evoke their 90s suits.

It's just unfortunate that modern costume technology is still unable to give us Jean's kooky 90s face-mask thing.

Oh no. Not the Jim Lee flesh-coloured one? :v:

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

Clearly she needs the ease of movement. Gymnasts don't wear leather bodysuits, you know.

Counter point: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97hO7FlaAok

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Wheat Loaf posted:

Oh no. Not the Jim Lee flesh-coloured one? :v:
More yellowy, less fleshy. You can see some clear shots of it here. (Mild non-spoilers in this behind-the-scenes footage)

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Hahaha McAvoy 100% looks like an actual child in that suit with the bald head. He looks like he's there for a Make A Wish day or something. The wheelchair is too big for his lil body.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

The reason why Psylocke has a more colorful costume is that they casted Olivia Munn after looking at a photoshopped mock up of her as Psylocke and saying thats perfect

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Her costume is technically purple but muted just like the rest of them.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

What, and the guy who can fly doesn't also need freedom of movement?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
It's too bad that the movie makes Apocalypse feel really under developed. One of the most terrifying villains in all of the marvel universe while being powerful, just seems like he's doing what he does becuase that what the plot demands he does. It was like they saw how Doom has been written in Fantastic Four movies and said "lets do that".

Specific stuff about the movie As others have said, the main story feels really weak, with the kids being a much more interesting story. I'd have loved for the majorty of act 1 focusing on Scott, Jean, Kurt and Quicksilver would be much more interesting that seeing McAvoy and Fassbender as the center. Honestly, I think if they weren't playing the characters, the stories would not be nearly as compelling. I was really happy that Sophie Turner was good, because her accent was something I worried about, but nope, nailed it. Also nothing makes Angel cool, glad he was the only one who actually died.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
To be fair that is also how comics apocalypse operates.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

In other comic news the Rock has officially been cast as Doc Savage.

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2016/05/30/its-official-the-rock-is-doc-savage

I am looking forward to this, particularly with Shane Black at the helm. I hope they go full on with the source material and have Doc performing behavioural correcting surgical procedures on the bad guys at the end, just like in the movie from the 70's.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

I liked Apocalypse on the whole! Miscellaneous thoughts:

I think that somehow my biggest complaint is ... everything about Mystique? She had some decent bits early on when saving Kurt and interacting with Caliban and his mutant trafficking underground thing but honestly, I just ... want her gone? Make her go away. I don't care about her or her interactions with Charles and Erik. I feel weird saying this because I'm one of the folks what clamors for more female heroes, but like. Give me anyone else. Focus more on Jean. Give Psylocke a line or two. Anything.

Bring Wanda into the X-Men films and have her whisper "No more Mystique." Just deliver me from having her as a focal point. I'm really looking forward to what the franchise can do without centering around those three. I'll happily go see that 90's space X-Men movie, or New Mutants, or whatever's next on the docket.

I liked Magneto's plotline a lot. Some of the special effects of his Horseman exploits were really rad and just pleasant to look at. There is a weird disconnect, after watching Civil War, in how no one loving cares about the damage done to the planet at large? Like. The death toll of this film seems like it has to be in the millions, at least. That's bonkers. It's nuts! And yet. Ho-hum, "rebuilding has already started," a scene of Jean and Magneto rebuilding the school, yaay.

Charles is boring too, now that I think about it.

Really wanted more of the kids. I'll wait for the Blu-Ray for the deleted mall scene, I guess. Spending more time with them would've been fun and done the movie a service, I think. I would have also liked for Psylocke to have felt more consequential. Storm was fuckin' rad, though.

I think the thread doesn't like Oscar Isaac's Apocalypse much, but I thought he was cool.

Beast's costume/makeup for his blue form was a god drat disaster.

Anyway, there was tons of melodrama and neat action scenes and it was basically a throwback superhero melodrama soap opera thing in a lot of ways and I found that really fun for the most part. Except for all the poo poo I complained about, but eh. For the most part it did the things I wanted from an X-Men movie about Apocalypse.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I forgive The Wolverine cameo because they had him in his Weapon X gear. It looks like someone working on the movie actually opened a comic for a moment

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

The Question IRL posted:

In other comic news the Rock has officially been cast as Doc Savage.
I can't believe that heap got off the ground finally. I remember hearing that Arnie was going to helm it after like the Matrix.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Apparently Kismet is going to be in Thor 3, and will be the main villain in GOTG 2, which makes sense

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Oh yeah, something else I quite enjoyed about X-Men: Apocalypse was the title sequence. After all this time I think we've all gotten pretty tired of the shifty weird mutant whatever graphics, and they found a way to make this one quite entertaining instead.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

I didn't care for X-Men Apocalypse. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't great just completely forgetable. Once again, the highlight was Quicksilver and, once again, entirely too much time was spent on Mystique / Xavier / Magneto.

I look forward to a New Mutants movie with a brand new cast that somehow still revolves around Xavier and Wolverine followed by an X-Force movie headlined by Mystique and Deadpool.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

BrianWilly posted:

Oh yeah, something else I quite enjoyed about X-Men: Apocalypse was the title sequence. After all this time I think we've all gotten pretty tired of the shifty weird mutant whatever graphics, and they found a way to make this one quite entertaining instead.
It was cool until the stupid little cgi toy planes flew down the time tunnel. That sucked the interesting out of it.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Heathen posted:

I didn't care for X-Men Apocalypse. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't great just completely forgetable. Once again, the highlight was Quicksilver and, once again, entirely too much time was spent on Mystique / Xavier / Magneto.

I look forward to a New Mutants movie with a brand new cast that somehow still revolves around Xavier and Wolverine followed by an X-Force movie headlined by Mystique and Deadpool.

I really loving hope not. Actually, I want them to do New Mutants with Magneto as headmaster, with McKellan as Magneto.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Olivia Munn is the second biggest draw in the movie according to audience polls, so they need to get Fassbender and McAvoy the gently caress out quick.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

It was cool until the stupid little cgi toy planes flew down the time tunnel. That sucked the interesting out of it.
um sorry no that's wrong
sorry

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

BrianWilly posted:

um sorry no that's wrong
sorry
Excuse me sir, but it's obvious the appropriate thing would have been a dude punching the gently caress outta a rocket and falling into the time sea.

VvV
That Wolverine just phased into himself. He remoted into 70s Wolvie with Kitty's l337 haxor skillz

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Jun 1, 2016

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

I forgive The Wolverine cameo because they had him in his Weapon X gear. It looks like someone working on the movie actually opened a comic for a moment

So are there two wolverines running around because of the one that went back to the past?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Nah. In Days of Future Past, Wolverine just sent his consciousness back into his former body. When that was done, his consciousness returned to the future.

The current Wolverine who appears in X-Men: Apocalypse will presumably have his consciousness wiped out by that future Wolverine at some point. :buddy:

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

twistedmentat posted:

It's not comics accurate at all, they didn't wire his dick directly into his eye.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

If Psylocke is the second biggest draw I'm guessing Mystique is number one and Jean is number three.

It did get an A- on CinemaScore so apparently people are happy with it.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yeah if you want a real cinematic trainwreck there's always the warcraft movie.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy
I enjoyed Apocalypse, but there are some issues.

There were a lot of monument destruction shots seemingly thrown in at random during the Apocalypse scenes that never amounted to anything and just felt dumb.

Does anyone else feel like Angel's wing blades were an obvious Chekhov's Gun that never got resolved? He buried the first set in brick walls and then never used them again.

twistedmentat posted:

I don't because his Weapon X Gear looked like plastic, which leads into one of my biggest complaints: so many of the practical and VFX to look like *poo poo*. Off the top of my head: The scene where Apocalypse meets Storm, the guy he buried in the wall looked awful, Wolverine's plastic Weapon-X hat, the two short bits involving the boatyard under Magneto's influence looked like plastic toys, and every CGI human was detextured and looked like a Toy Story character, which is especially noticeable on Olivia Munn who is covered in freckles.

Aphrodite posted:

Olivia Munn is the second biggest draw in the movie according to audience polls

Really? I thought her acting was the weakest out of everyone who didn't die. Didn't she only have like, three lines?

A Tin Of Beans posted:

no one loving cares about the damage done to the planet at large? Like. The death toll of this film seems like it has to be in the millions, at least. That's bonkers. It's nuts! And yet. Ho-hum, "rebuilding has already started," a scene of Jean and Magneto rebuilding the school, yaay.

They showed the Sydney Opera House get ripped apart, while Sydney is on the opposite side of the planet from Egypt, so this is a whole-world event and the cities they showed got *decimiated*. I don't see a way to say that fewer than a billion people died.

All that said, the movie was enjoyable and I got to see mutants being mutants, which is more or less what I wanted. As expected, Quicksilver's scenes are pretty much the highlight of the movie. Apocalypse is pretty well done, but I'm not sure about the audio effects on his voice. Overall it was okay to good, and I'd watch it again.

Shit Fuckasaurus fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Jun 1, 2016

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Plastik posted:

Does anyone else feel like Angel's wing blades were an obvious Chekhov's Gun that never got resolved? He buried the first set in brick walls and then never used them again.

Really? I thought her acting was the weakest out of everyone who didn't die. Didn't she only have like, three lines?

Maybe people are going based off of name recognition alone? I couldn't even fault her acting because she hardly said gently caress-all. Tangential: There was one point where she ran off where I thought for sure she was going to save Archangel, but I don't think we actually ... saw that? Did we? I won't lie, I was hoping we'd get some more interaction between them. ... Or for Psylocke to have done anything at all besides 'be a Horseman.' Even Angel got a decent bit of characterization from what we saw of him in the mutant cage-match scene. She just felt weirdly underserved to me.

quote:

They showed the Sydney Opera House get ripped apart, while Sydney is on the opposite side of the planet from Egypt, so this is a whole-world event and the cities they showed got *decimiated*. I don't see a way to say that fewer than a billion people died.

Yeah, I was being really conservative with my estimate honestly. It's loving bonkers and felt like it deserved at least a litttttle more than it got. Maybe next movie ...? I feel like the X-Men movies, since they're not as tied to having a really broad ~extended universe~ - have more chance for poo poo that happens in them to actually affect world politics and history and so on. Like, they can and have more easily made this an alt. history than the MCU can.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Plastik posted:

I believe the idea was that Magneto was targeting specific monuments through the earth, not just earthquaking everything so depending on the time of day he may have only murdered a couple hundred people. Still means Chuck's rubbing elbow pads with a mass murderer in the end (they probably should have went with mind control if they wanted to maintain that status quo)

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Heathen posted:

If Psylocke is the second biggest draw I'm guessing Mystique is number one and Jean is number three.

It did get an A- on CinemaScore so apparently people are happy with it.

I can't find it now, but the article I read it in only mentioned Lawrence and Munn. It had a bunch of other statistics about demos and stuff too.

It did note that both are a significant drop from Jackman. He's in the movie of course, but it wasn't heavily advertised.

I have no clue how they phrase these audience polls either. Like I was definitely more excited to see Psylocke than yet another Magneto and Professor X appearance, but that has little to do with the actress or character.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Sgt. Politeness posted:

I believe the idea was that Magneto was targeting specific monuments through the earth, not just earthquaking everything so depending on the time of day he may have only murdered a couple hundred people. Still means Chuck's rubbing elbow pads with a mass murderer in the end (they probably should have went with mind control if they wanted to maintain that status quo)

Even if that's true, at least the city where the Apocapyramid was erected was just outright obliterated and at least one non-Egyptian coastal city was obliterated and shown as burning husks of what looked to once be skyscrapers. They're not going to "empty districts!" their way out of this one, the very most conservative death toll would be a million people, which is a third of the population of Giza (where the pyramids are). So even if all his damage to other areas were purely architectural, building that pyramid killed a million people, making Bad Guy Team Apocalypse the most murderous villain group I've ever seen on screen.

It's strange to me, Man of Steel caught a lot of flak for the implied massive casualties, and the reaction to that across the last three superhero movies has been a spectrum: BvS talked about empty districts and uninhabited islands to underscore zero innocent civilian deaths, Civil War took the issue head-on but still killed a dozen civilians and several dozen german and UN police, and then Apocalypse didn't even nod to the criticism but proceeded to kill more people than most actual wars have.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

A Tin Of Beans posted:

Maybe people are going based off of name recognition alone? I couldn't even fault her acting because she hardly said gently caress-all. Tangential: There was one point where she ran off where I thought for sure she was going to save Archangel, but I don't think we actually ... saw that? Did we? I won't lie, I was hoping we'd get some more interaction between them. ... Or for Psylocke to have done anything at all besides 'be a Horseman.' Even Angel got a decent bit of characterization from what we saw of him in the mutant cage-match scene. She just felt weirdly underserved to me.

That's how it's been with every single X movie. The henchmen are there to do their couple cool scenes and that's it

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Plastik posted:

Even if that's true, at least the city where the Apocapyramid was erected was just outright obliterated and at least one non-Egyptian coastal city was obliterated and shown as burning husks of what looked to once be skyscrapers. They're not going to "empty districts!" their way out of this one, the very most conservative death toll would be a million people, which is a third of the population of Giza (where the pyramids are). So even if all his damage to other areas were purely architectural, building that pyramid killed a million people, making Bad Guy Team Apocalypse the most murderous villain group I've ever seen on screen.

It's strange to me, Man of Steel caught a lot of flak for the implied massive casualties, and the reaction to that across the last three superhero movies has been a spectrum: BvS talked about empty districts and uninhabited islands to underscore zero innocent civilian deaths, Civil War took the issue head-on but still killed a dozen civilians and several dozen german and UN police, and then Apocalypse didn't even nod to the criticism but proceeded to kill more people than most actual wars have.

The X-Men movies are completely campy comic-booky movies that don't really try to be anything but which is probably why it gets glossed over because it treats civilian casualties the same way comics do where mega crossover events somehow don't end up with literally hundreds of millions dead.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Whizbang posted:

It's not comics accurate at all, they didn't wire his dick directly into his eye.

At as I said, it looks like someone actually looked in a comic and said "lets put that on screen". It's not 1:1 but its close enough.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Off topic, but does anyone remember the goon's name that got the movie accurate Batman Begins (Dark Knight?) costume made? He had it in an armoire with batarangs and everything.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Thor 3 will incorporate aspects of the "Planet Hulk" comic arc; including Jeff Goldblum hosting a Gladiatorial fight to the death between Hulk and cosmic beings.

Also, Hulk will wear something other than Purple Pants for the first time ever in the MCU.

http://www.avclub.com/article/hulk-might-be-wearing-more-stretchy-pants-thor-rag-237567

The report also says that Hemsworth is getting his head partially shaved during the movie. RIP those beautiful golden curls.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jun 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

Retardog posted:

Off topic, but does anyone remember the goon's name that got the movie accurate Batman Begins (Dark Knight?) costume made? He had it in an armoire with batarangs and everything.

That dude is still out there buying useless jerryrigged poo poo on ebay, posting it in The Action Figure Thread

• Locked thread