Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
It's kind of weird that the entire world nuclear arsenal was just disarmed, and seemingly nobody noticed or remarked on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

greatn posted:

It's kind of weird that the entire world nuclear arsenal was just disarmed, and seemingly nobody noticed or remarked on it.

I suppose in a world where there's dozens of people running around with the power to fart nuclear explosions, a nation's nuclear stockpile doesn't matter as much, but it'd still be pretty big if a giant portion of every superpower's stockpile just got tossed out.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Sure, season one of Flash had General Eiling going on about how nukes were going to be on the way out anyway once governments realised they could weaponise metahumans.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

greatn posted:

Or how Felicity forgot / got over the fact she nuked a town in the final scenes where the team was going their separate ways.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I really liked the Arrow finale and season as whole as well. I feel like it's in an interesting place going into next year. Mayor Queen should be fun.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I liked it too but man was the Darkness dialogue painful every time they said it.

And they threw up massive flags for Laurel not being dead again, which after the other episodes has convinced me they are cruel bastards.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Stephen Amell is saying that next season's Arrow villain won't have any powers.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

muscles like this? posted:

That's good. I had a long conversation with my brother last week that the problem with this season of Arrow really goes back to the Flash. After Flash season 1 came out with all those fancy metahumans and got great critical and fan buzz, Arrow writers/showrunners felt the need to keep up so they were like "Well poo poo we'll have a superpowered antagonist too!" Only since metahumans are Flash's thing, they had to think of another way to explain his powers so they went "how about magic?" only to find out halfway through that it was actually really hard to write a season with a villain who was immune to all the protagonists' (very limited) methods of attack and had a massive criminal organization backing him.

In short: Batman Green Arrow should stick to fighting non-powered threats (or at least low-powered like guy-who-can-throw-skin-cards) when he's not in Justice League comics crossover episodes

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Speaking of, how the gently caress are they going to raise the stakes for season 5? Can't really outdo "nuclear apocalypse" and Flash already has dibs on "destruction of the multiverse."

Maybe more personal stakes?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Scyantific posted:

Speaking of, how the gently caress are they going to raise the stakes for season 5? Can't really outdo "nuclear apocalypse" and Flash already has dibs on "destruction of the multiverse."

Oliver will have to defend the glades from it's worst enemy yet: gentrification!

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Because next season, OLIVER IS OLIVER'S WORST ENEMY!!!!

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Medullah posted:

Because next season, OLIVER IS OLIVER'S WORST ENEMY!!!!

But they already did that in S3E01?

Also I will laugh my rear end off if they rip off Hush from Batman.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Scyantific posted:

But they already did that in S3E01?

Also I will laugh my rear end off if they rip off Hush from Batman.

I actually think that'd be a great way to do it. There's a poo poo ton of old baddies to pull out of the woodwork. I thought the first Flash/Arrow fight worked well and given how dumb Barry has been this last season I could see Oliver beating him on tactics and trick arrows. And no one from the "Destroy the Glades to Save the City" crew in flashbacks from season 1 has shown up much except Merlyn.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Skwirl posted:

I actually think that'd be a great way to do it. There's a poo poo ton of old baddies to pull out of the woodwork. I thought the first Flash/Arrow fight worked well and given how dumb Barry has been this last season I could see Oliver beating him on tactics and trick arrows. And no one from the "Destroy the Glades to Save the City" crew in flashbacks from season 1 has shown up much except Merlyn.

I just think it would be a nice change of pace if they remembered Merlyn was a villain at the beginning of the season rather than the end like the last two seasons.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Medullah posted:

I just think it would be a nice change of pace if they remembered Merlyn was a villain at the beginning of the season rather than the end like the last two seasons.

I don't think there's any way he's not the central villain for most of next year.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Scyantific posted:

The bad guy is going to vape. And really wants you to know it.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Scyantific posted:

I posted this in the Arrow thread as well, but...

This article about super hero movie tropes is appropriate: http://uproxx.com/filmdrunk/superhero-movie-cliches-to-retire/

quote:

Countless superhero movies, especially in the past decade, have ended with the heroes having to thwart a bad guy pointing a giant laser thingy at Earth: to suck its power, to terraform it (Man of Steel), to plunge it into darkness so that it can be ruled by Dark Elves (Thor: The Dark World), etc. I suspect this came about as a consequence of the fallacy that “bigger stakes = bigger drama!” Superhero movies kept trying to top each other, with evil plans that got bigger and bigger, until it wasn’t just the Earth being threatened, but “the very fabric of reality” (The Dark World again, which, actually, works great as parody).

Aside from the fact that any plot point that gets repeated enough eventually becomes a droning sound the audience learns to tune out, the idea that bigger stakes equals bigger drama doesn’t even work. It never has. One of the best explanations of the phenomenon comes in Ace in the Hole, a Billy Wilder movie from 1951 starring Kirk Douglas as unscrupulous news man Chuck Tatum. At one point, trying to explain how to sell papers, Tatum describes the concept of human interest to the junior reporter, Herbie:

TATUM: One man is better than 84. Didn’t they teach you that?

HERBIE: Teach me what?

TATUM: Human interest. You pick up the paper. You see something about 84 men. Or 284 men. Or a million people, like in a Chinese famine. You read it, but it doesn’t stay with you. One man is different. That’s human interest. You want to know all about him. Somebody all by himself — like Lindbergh over the Atlantic.

Or, as Lush Life author Richard Price put it (in a quote you can find all over Pinterest):

“The bigger the issue, the smaller you write. Remember that. You don’t write about the horrors of war. No. You write about a kid’s burnt socks lying on the road. You pick the smallest manageable part of the big thing, and you work off the resonance.”

Sure, writing superhero movies isn’t exactly the same as writing about atrocities (though the writers of Batman v Superman and Civil War sure seem to want it to be), but getting people to care is the same. We don’t need the heroes to save the whole Earth or the universe or the fabric of reality in order to be invested. It’s actually kind of alienating. What’s a movie from the last few years that everyone loves? How about John Wick? He’s not saving the Earth, he’s just pissed because some guys killed his dog. Truth is, the audience cares more about one dog than the entire Earth. Probably the best thing about Civil War (and a big part of the reason it got so many good reviews) is that they didn’t have to save the world at the end.

The worst part about the saving-the-entire-planet, let’s-make-these-stakes-huge trope is that the superhero movie writers seemed to realize it. Yet instead of changing anything, they just wrote the characters feeling bad about all that collateral damage. Oh joy, mopey superheroes, just what I’ve always wanted. (You know, there’s a reason Stan Lee’s plans for “Introspection Man” never got off the ground). Both Civil War and Batman v Superman had their characters mourn their respective franchises’ past crappy writing. At least Civil War had the decency not to just do it all over again anyway.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

It's obviously going to be the American electorate in that case. :v:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

irlZaphod posted:

It's obviously going to be the American electorate in that case. :v:

Make Star City Great Again

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

McSpanky posted:

Make Star City Great Again

We're gonna build a great wall and keep these metahumans out, and make Central City pay for it!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
"You know we're gonna keep Lian Yu open and load it up with some bad dudes."

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Tom Cavanagh is confirmed to still be a series regular for season 3 of The Flash. I imagine that he'll still be around because Barry's Flashpoint shenanigans kept him alive.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Tom Cavanagh is confirmed to still be a series regular for season 3 of The Flash. I imagine that he'll still be around because Barry's Flashpoint shenanigans kept him alive.

He's gonna play Earth-3 Wally West.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

So, this will be the... fourth version of Wells he's played?

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Gaz-L posted:

I think just 3rd. He's played O.G. Wells, Thawne-Wells, and Harry Wells. He'd presumably just be playing O.G. Wells again, who we only saw before being taken over by Thawne on the bridge.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Gaz-L posted:

I imagine the timeline changes may not impact all the Earths and he'll become aware of what Barry has done.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
On earth 3, he's called Allen Scott.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
SPOILER WARNING

twistedmentat posted:

On earth 3, he's called Allen Scott Captain Bubblebeard.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Scrubs was always part of the DC universe. JD could Vibe.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

FX has officially ordered Legion to series for an 8 episode season to air next year.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

FX has officially ordered Legion to series for an 8 episode season to air next year.

8 episodes huh? I like it.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Also, let's be honest, that's based entirely on Noah Hawley's name. No way in hell is a show about Professor X's mentally ill son getting to series if the guy behind Fargo isn't producing.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

I'm still convinced Legion is going to somehow enter development hell at some point. I'll probably continue believing this up to the day it airs.

Speaking of development hell, there is still no news on that Hellfire show Fox is allegedly making that was announced at the same time as Legion. I'm even more confident Hellfire will never get made because I can't imagine anyone who'd want to watch an X-Men TV show about a random cop investigating a group of X-Men villains.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

There's been news. They hired a crew, and they all left for another show.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Aphrodite posted:

There's been news. They hired a crew, and they all left for another show.

Ah, right, the team that left for the new 24 show :v:. In fairness, that pitch about the random cop was their pitch so if Hellfire does somehow get made, who knows what the pitch they go with will be.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I'm watching Arrow, in season 2, and I'm pretty goddamn tired of how most episodes consist of two members of Team Arrow being snipy miserable cunts at each other for 35 minutes. Also extremely tired of the fact that everyone holds endless grudges that never take into account context or severity. Lying about something that ends in somebody else being killed is apparently directly equivalent to actually killing them in the Arrow-verse, even though that doesn't make any goddamn sense.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Toxxupation posted:

I'm watching Arrow, in season 2, and I'm pretty goddamn tired of how most episodes consist of two members of Team Arrow being snipy miserable cunts at each other for 35 minutes. Also extremely tired of the fact that everyone holds endless grudges that never take into account context or severity. Lying about something that ends in somebody else being killed is apparently directly equivalent to actually killing them in the Arrow-verse, even though that doesn't make any goddamn sense.

Wait until you get to later seasons, where killing people isn't even roughly equivalent to killing people. In fact, you could argue that killing more people is less bad than killing less people, unless you kill too many and then it becomes bad again.

ToastyPotato fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jun 1, 2016

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

Toxxupation posted:

Enjoy it while you can. Season 2 is Arrow at its best.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Toxxupation posted:

Wait until you literally see a character get in trouble for making a decision that was in ever single way the correct one.

Wait, what? Netflix is making a She-Hulk series???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

No I think that's fake.