Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

poop dood posted:

This is very likely because the American IPAs you're getting in England are much older than the local stuff, for obvious shipping-related reasons.

This, and the expense, are why I've kinda given up on paying out for US import IPAs.

Saisons have a better shelf life as a rule? I grabbed a bunch of crooked stave Vielle and St.Bretta Pomello at the weekend, since I've never seen it over here before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008

Spanish Manlove posted:

Edit: someone unsurprisingly mentioned the key factor of freshness, IE botting/canning date to drinking date.

Tons of them are way too sweet. Since just adding 9000% the normal amount of hops would make something a bitter mess you have to increase the amount of malt, which adds more sugars and makes the beer more sweet. There's a bunch of extra douchy mumbo jumbo to it beyond what already pretentious babble I'm putting down so don't worry about it.

Malt = sweet
Hops = bitter
that's really all you need to know.

This is what I meant originally in a roundabout fashion, the big IIPAs (and triples etc) just taste malty, sweet and heavy to me. There are exceptions of course (the Pirate Life IIPA has gotten a lot of love in Australia in the last year and deserves it imo). It also pretty much answers my question so cheers!

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Spuckuk posted:

The Cloudwater DIPA v3 is one of the only british IPAs I can genuinely say is worth whatever it costs to get one anywhere you can.

I drank the last of mine a few days ago, now I'm stuck fiending for v4

Local shop here still have a good supply of them. Stored cold :smug:.
Where are you though? Id love to talk brit craft.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Spuckuk posted:

Saisons have a better shelf life as a rule? I grabbed a bunch of crooked stave Vielle and St.Bretta Pomello at the weekend, since I've never seen it over here before.

yes, and Crooked Stave stuff in particular as it's bottle-conditioned and they use all kinds of fun, funky yeast/bacteria strains

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

everythingWasBees posted:

We still have to go to dedicated liquor stores in MD. :argh:

You mean for liquor, right? Because one of the best beer stores in MD not too far from me is in a gas station, and even has a growler fill station.

In DE you can't sell any alcohol in supermarkets or gas stations, but that doesn't really bother me at all.

Jorge Von Bacon
Nov 1, 2010
Is anyone from Indianapolis or familiar with some of the smaller breweries in the downtown?

I'm here a couple of nights and if I could, I'd like to check out a new place.

Been to Sun King and I think I'm in walking distance to Twodeep, chilly water, and metazoa.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
Lickinghole brewer, lol at the name from a place called goochland also lol. Makes a terrible terrbile ginger of a mess beer that has no rights being barrel aged.
Bourbon Barrel & Ginger Three Chopt Tripel

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Spuckuk posted:

Some of my favorite saisons were shelf turds that I picked up 2 years after bottling date. One even had the cork fly out of it a little after I took the cage off it. Bottle conditioned saisons, or wild ales etc, are the only style I actually prefer aged compared to as fresh as possible.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Local shop here still have a good supply of them. Stored cold :smug:.
Where are you though? Id love to talk brit craft.

Liverpool, so pretty close to Cloudwater :)

The only beers I've deliberately held onto for any period of time have been belgian tripel/quadrupels. Though I did have a 2013 Siren barleywine at the weekend that was pretty incredible!

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Coincidentally, as part of my weekly attempt to drink down my cellar, this evening I'll be enjoying a 2014 Saison DuPont and a 2015 Saison-Brett.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Spuckuk posted:

Liverpool, so pretty close to Cloudwater :)

The only beers I've deliberately held onto for any period of time have been belgian tripel/quadrupels. Though I did have a 2013 Siren barleywine at the weekend that was pretty incredible!

Oh dang man youre also close to Mad Hatter!
Their double nightmare is a bit of an addiction of mine. Their whole line up is now that i think about it.

As for beer keeping I had the incredible luck to find a bottle of 2013 Chimay Blue languishing in a pub earlier this year. It was like communing with god.
Personally I cant stand having a beer in my home for longer than 2-3 weeks tops. The temptation is too grrat.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 18:49 on May 31, 2016

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

Juaguocio posted:

But seriously, if you're looking for a bar in Vancouver with a good beer selection, you could try St. Augustine's, Craft Beer Market, or the Alibi Room.

If you want to visit some tasting rooms, there are a couple areas where numerous breweries are clustered relatively close together:

Bomber, Doan's, Off The Rail, Parallel 49. Powell St., Storm, and Strange Fellows are all in East Van, off Clark Dr. and Hastings St.
and
33 Acres, Brassneck, Main St., R&B, and Red Truck are all in Mt. Pleasant, near Main Street and Broadway (and the aforementioned Craft Beer Market).

33 Acres, Brassneck, and Parallel 49 would be my top 3 from that list. I'm also a fan of these other breweries from elsewhere in BC:

http://bridgebrewing.com/
http://dageraadbrewing.com/
http://driftwoodbeer.com/
http://www.fourwindsbrewing.ca/
http://www.moonunderwater.ca/
http://www.oldyalebrewing.com/
http://www.persephonebrewing.com/
https://phillipsbeer.com/
http://www.spinnakers.com/
http://steelandoak.ca/
http://www.yellowdogbeer.com/ (I guess the website isn't a priority for them)

Thanks for all that great info. Exactly what I was looking for.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

sterster posted:

Lickinghole brewer, lol at the name from a place called goochland also lol. Makes a terrible terrbile ginger of a mess beer that has no rights being barrel aged.
Bourbon Barrel & Ginger Three Chopt Tripel

it's Lickinghole Creek, which is actually the name of the stream that runs through the property, and Goochland is named after an early governor of the state. i wish i could do more to defend the beer itself, but, well, i can't. are you out this way or did you get some in trade? i honestly had no idea the version of the beer you listed even existed.

oh, and if any of you Oregon folk wanna snag me some of that pfruity Pfriem...

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Perfectly Cromulent posted:

If you want to try something new and unique go to Big Rock and try the Earl Grey ESB and the Rye Saiseweizen. I work for the company that made the unique yeast strains that they used. What's special about the yeast is that we're selectively breeding it for particular attributes and it's unable to produce hydrogen sulfide, so the other aromatics really stand out.

We wanted to to showcase what our yeast can do at the Canadian Brewing Awards last weekend so we got Big Rock to make some trial batches. They turned out so well that they put them on tap at their brewery downtown. We got to sample a few growlers of each at work and they both tasted amazing.

The Saiseweizen is made with a hybrid between a French Saison yeast and a Bavarian Hefeweizen yeast. It maintains the aroma profiles of both parents, so you get the citrus, pepper, and bubblegum flavours you’d expect from a Saison and the clove and banana flavours you typically find in a Hefeweizen. I'm pretty sure that this is the first hybrid beer yeast in the world.

The Earl Grey ESB is made with what we're tentatively calling an "Aromatic Ale" yeast, which was selectively bred for intense fruit-forward aromatics. This gives the beer strong aromas of stone and tropical fruits, such as nectarine, plum, mango, and pineapple and the addition of tea gives just a hint of fresh Earl Grey.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
I guess I'll have to give Big Rock another shot. The last brews I tried from there were very bad, so I haven't had anything of theirs for a few years. I see they've ditched some of the trendy crap like lime lager, which is a good sign.

Had a nice Rye IPA from Doan's last night. I've really been enjoying that style recently.

Perfectly Cromulent posted:

You're welcome! Feel free to send a PM if you want any more info (good music venues, parks to get loaded in, etc.)

Juaguocio fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jun 1, 2016

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Juaguocio posted:

I guess I'll have to give Big Rock another shot. The last brews I tried from there were very bad, so I haven't had anything of theirs for a few years. I see they've ditched some of the trendy crap like lime lager, which is a good sign.

Was it their Alberta stuff? Because yeah, that is pretty bad. They have gone a different route entirely in Vancouver and have invested a lot of money into building a state-of-the-art brewery. Our QA scientist was particularly impressed with their facilities and it's one of the reasons why they were one of our first choices for trials. They have some resistance to overcome because they're larger, not local, and their Alberta products are uninspiring, but in Vancouver they're doing things right as far as I can tell.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

funkybottoms posted:

it's Lickinghole Creek, which is actually the name of the stream that runs through the property, and Goochland is named after an early governor of the state. i wish i could do more to defend the beer itself, but, well, i can't. are you out this way or did you get some in trade? i honestly had no idea the version of the beer you listed even existed.

oh, and if any of you Oregon folk wanna snag me some of that pfruity Pfriem...

No, I'm still between Mercury and the Sun, aka PHX. Someone brought it to a share which had many amazing things. I honestly started questioning the persons' motives for bringing it.

sterster fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jun 1, 2016

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Do you believe in heroes?

Jorge Von Bacon posted:

Is anyone from Indianapolis or familiar with some of the smaller breweries in the downtown?

I actually work at Sun King, hope you enjoyed!

Skip Metazoa and Chilly Water, and I'm not sure about TwoDeep. You'll want to take a drive to Irvington (maybe 10 minutes east of downtown) to hit Black Acre.

Aside from that St. Joseph's a few blocks north of Sun King usually has an interesting arrangement of styles, I haven't had anything stupendous from them but they're in a cool converted church building.

If you head to a bar, try out anything from Taxman. They're a small brewery half an hour or so south of downtown that specializes in Belgian styles. Their IPAs are quite tasty and their house dubbel and tripel are very solid for house beers.

Millions fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jun 1, 2016

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!
I guess I finally drank that Cuvee Renee that's been sitting for a year or two. It was pretty darn good. I'm spoiled though because the only other gueuze I can really remember having is Beatification. I still pee the bed while dreaming of that beer. What a taste!!!

Olde Hickory Lindley Park is also really loving good and one of my favorites

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

cryme posted:

You mean for liquor, right? Because one of the best beer stores in MD not too far from me is in a gas station, and even has a growler fill station.

In DE you can't sell any alcohol in supermarkets or gas stations, but that doesn't really bother me at all.

Apparently it's more county to county but here you can't get beer anywhere outside of a wine and spirits store.

No_talent
Jul 30, 2009

Juaguocio posted:

McGavin posted:

Was it their Alberta stuff? Because yeah, that is pretty bad. They have gone a different route entirely in Vancouver and have invested a lot of money into building a state-of-the-art brewery. Our QA scientist was particularly impressed with their facilities and it's one of the reasons why they were one of our first choices for trials. They have some resistance to overcome because they're larger, not local, and their Alberta products are uninspiring, but in Vancouver they're doing things right as far as I can tell.

I've been hearing a lot about how the brewpub out there has been making stuff FAR better than any of the AB output. It's going to be neat to see what they do when they expand to Toronto this summer. IF only they didn't use the same loving yeast for EVERY SINGLE GOD DAMNED BEER.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

No_talent posted:

IF only they didn't use the same loving yeast for EVERY SINGLE GOD DAMNED BEER.

Tell me about it, I'm working my butt off trying to change this. One of the first comments we usually hear from brewers is how surprised they are when our yeast doesn't stink during fermentation. That's because the yeast you're using is garbage. :bang:

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

sterster posted:

No, I'm still between Mercury and the Sun, aka PHX. Someone brought it to a share which had many amazing things. I honestly started questioning the persons' motives for bringing it.

well, at least it wasn't Magic Beaver, because there would be no way i could dam the jokes with that one!

krustster posted:

I guess I finally drank that Cuvee Renee that's been sitting for a year or two. It was pretty darn good. I'm spoiled though because the only other gueuze I can really remember having is Beatification.

i try not to be the most pedantic motherfucker in the thread, but some days...

McGavin posted:

Tell me about it, I'm working my butt off trying to change this. One of the first comments we usually hear from brewers is how surprised they are when our yeast doesn't stink during fermentation. That's because the yeast you're using is garbage. :bang:

what company do you work for? i work at a brewery in Virginia and am curious about your yeast, but i won't be offended if you would rather not make that public

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

funkybottoms posted:

i try not to be the most pedantic motherfucker in the thread, but some days...

to say nothing of the fact that cuvee rene is significantly better than beat :biotruths:

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Zombina says "si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes!"

Millions posted:

I just moved to Louisville from Chicago and stopped at Sun King in Indy on the way down. I had never been before, and had wanted to try your stuff for a while. I was super disappointed though with the take away coolers - all the Osiris and IPA was well over a month old. Is this normal there? I'm not super picky about date (although 2 day old Anti Hero is amazing), but I was surprised something would be that old at the brewery.

Jorge Von Bacon
Nov 1, 2010

Millions posted:

Thanks for the suggestions! Ill keep an eye out.

Maybe I'll just head back to Sun King again. Really enjoyed it last time when they had a coffee wee Mac on.

Other than sun king, the only local I've had much of is flat 12- both of those weren't too impressive either.

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Do you believe in heroes?

Paul Proteus posted:

I just moved to Louisville from Chicago and stopped at Sun King in Indy on the way down. I had never been before, and had wanted to try your stuff for a while. I was super disappointed though with the take away coolers - all the Osiris and IPA was well over a month old. Is this normal there? I'm not super picky about date (although 2 day old Anti Hero is amazing), but I was surprised something would be that old at the brewery.

Yeah, on the sales team we're embarrassed by that too. We just reached statewide distribution a few months ago and have been prioritizing the freshest stuff going out to accounts. We're in the process of making some big production changes, so the cooler at the brewery should have fresher stuff once we work the kinks out. Sorry about that!

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Millions posted:

Yeah, on the sales team we're embarrassed by that too. We just reached statewide distribution a few months ago and have been prioritizing the freshest stuff going out to accounts. We're in the process of making some big production changes, so the cooler at the brewery should have fresher stuff once we work the kinks out. Sorry about that!

Holy poo poo... Someone who cares!!!

Can you work for other breweries, too??

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty

Millions posted:

Skip Metazoa and Chilly Water, and I'm not sure about TwoDeep. You'll want to take a drive to Irvington (maybe 10 minutes east of downtown) to hit Black Acre.

Aside from that St. Joseph's a few blocks north of Sun King usually has an interesting arrangement of styles, I haven't had anything stupendous from them but they're in a cool converted church building.

If you head to a bar, try out anything from Taxman. They're a small brewery half an hour or so south of downtown that specializes in Belgian styles. Their IPAs are quite tasty and their house dubbel and tripel are very solid for house beers.

Black Acre is pretty rad. When I was there last, they had a pretty decent selection of beers from Central State, who make some really awesome 100% Brett Beers. The 2 I had were good times. I'm starting to see their HOUSE beer show up in liquor stores now.

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Zombina says "si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes!"

Millions posted:

Makes sense, I can appreciate that logic - congrats on being able to distro that far now. I enjoyed the stuff I got so far, but look forward to trying some super fresh. If I wasn't driving I would have tried the taps.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
Yeah, the turnaround on Sun King has been interesting. That dustup last year with the volume limitation sucked the distribution range way down, but I'm seeing the beers show up more now - unfortunately, it's a ton of Sunlight and not much else.

I quite like the Fistfull of Hops variants and my friend is kinda mental for Wee Mac.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Cigar City's El Cat round 3 just ended and you can renew for round 4 now, but with a twist: you can get a 2 bottle allotment for double the price, which makes sense. The two new ones sound kinda goofy but interesting.

Bottle #5

quote:

Decoherence is a 50/50 blend of two distinct beers: an imperial porter aged in bourbon barrels (Outskirts), and an imperial stout aged in brandy barrels (brewed only for this beer). Then, because we like to have fun, we aged it on coffee and coconut.

The coffee blend for this beer was crafted by our brewmaster Wayne with our friends at Buddy Brew. Wayne wanted the blend to focus on rich chocolate notes to help accentuate the coconut.

We used what can only be described as a “very large” amount of toasted coconut for this beer. We consulted some of our brewery friends in the industry and spent months in our lab dosing the proper amounts to ensure the final result was perfect.
They also mention drinking this one literally as fresh as possible and not to age it, which should be pretty obvious given it's a coconut beer and doubly obvious since it's a CCB beer.

Extra bottle:

quote:

Hapax Legomenon refers to a word or form that occurs only once in a document. And often, it is a word that you’ll find only one time in an author’s entire oeuvre. For example, Shakespeare used the word “satyr” exactly once in all of his writings.

Hapax Legomenon began as a Belgian-style Tripel brewed with rice and aged in gin barrels. Before they became gin barrels, these barrels were used to age bourbon, giving the final beer a unique quality.

After some time in barrels, we blended in some American Grapefruit Sour Ale. The strong grapefruit character from this beer plus the spice from the gin helps to create an interesting “gin and juice” feel.

When it’s all said and done, we think we can safely say that this will be the only occurrence of a gin barrel-aged Belgian-style Rice Tripel blended with an American Grapefruit Sour Ale to be found in our oeuvre.

Hapax Legomenon is 9.4% ABV and is first available for purchase online to El Catador Club members for a period of one week. Any bottles that remain after this period ends will go on sale to the general public in the tasting room.

I'm betting this one's weird enough that people won't buy it for themselves so expect douchy florida traders trying to flip it just because it's an El Cat beer.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Spanish Manlove posted:

I'm betting this one's weird enough that people won't buy it for themselves so expect douchy florida traders trying to flip it just because it's an El Cat beer.

I'm a sucker for gin so... bought. Even though I kinda hate tripels!

I've been pretty surprised by the general lack of interest in El Cat bottles and the few people who have tried to flip them in hilarious trades even though people seem to be falling over themselves to get in the club...

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Round 4 should be insane. Tons of awesome sounding beers have gotten label approval as of late, so upgrading to the double bottle membership is a no-brainer.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

Round 4 should be insane. Tons of awesome sounding beers have gotten label approval as of late, so upgrading to the double bottle membership is a no-brainer.

poo poo. Was looking to maybe give up my membership... Details?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

danbanana posted:

poo poo. Was looking to maybe give up my membership... Details?

$150 for the regular thing, one bottle each of five different beers.

Double allotment is $300 and gives you two bottles each of the five different beers.

When you go to renew there should be an option for single or double allotment.

Edit: something not really obvious is that for both allotments you only get one of the exclusive glass.

Spanish Manlove fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jun 1, 2016

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Spanish Manlove posted:

$150 for the regular thing, one bottle each of five different beers.

Double allotment is $300 and gives you two bottles each of the five different beers.

When you go to renew there should be an option for single or double allotment.

I meant details of the potential beers that BOSC was discussing.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

danbanana posted:

Oh derp.

Well the one that struck me was DBH so I forgot about everything else.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

danbanana posted:

Obviously nothing is 100% certain, but they've gotten label approvals for:

Brandy Barrel Hunahpu
Rum Barrel Hunahpu
Double Barrel Hunahpu
Rum Zhukov

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Hail Mary coming:

Are any of the breweries/brewpubs in the Quad Cities worth a road-trip lunch stop?