Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

GotLag posted:

Even with photos people won't believe you.

Wasn't this one heated by a torch to remove the nut?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

frozenpussy posted:

from reddit

House had no proper ground, Electricity grounds out through Gas line

This is totally fine exactly until your gas line springs a leak.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

LordSaturn posted:

This is totally fine exactly until your gas line springs a leak.

At which point the electrical guy can blame the gas guy! Brilliant!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

For both of those photos, one should keep in mind that a cell phone camera (or any digital camera) has a CCD in it, and they tend to be more sensitive in the infrared than the human eye. So things will glow more on camera than they do from you looking at them.

Also for the water heater one, possibly the gas has been turned off, even if the power is still on.

And, the natural gas being preheated before injection into the burner probably makes the burner more efficient?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Leperflesh posted:

And, the natural gas being preheated before injection into the burner probably makes the burner more efficient?

This one weird trick the energy companies don't want you to know!

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Even if the gas is off I'd not keep all that cardboard next to a hot line.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

Leperflesh posted:

For both of those photos, one should keep in mind that a cell phone camera (or any digital camera) has a CCD in it, and they tend to be more sensitive in the infrared than the human eye. So things will glow more on camera than they do from you looking at them.

Also for the water heater one, possibly the gas has been turned off, even if the power is still on.

also the gas flow woulda acted as active coolant as long as the heater was running- if the heater is inefficient enough, i can see that maybe keeping the temp down enough to not-glow at least some of the time, which would explain how it prolly took a while for anyone to get on that

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

How much power is typically flowing to ground?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

In a typical house? Not much.

However, considering the house was wired without a ground, I imagine there may be other issues that would cause high ground current, at least for the thin walls of a steel tube not designed for current.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
Unless you're dealing with some crazy-rear end single-wire earth return rural bullshit, the ground current should be negligible. If the description of that photo is accurate, I would imagine that there is some sort of short from hot to ground that has somehow not tripped the breaker, in the process revealing the flaw in their choice of ground.

Either that, or an appliance's neutral was wired to ground and directly connected up to the gas pipe, bypassing the breaker completely.

for the love of god someone tell me if i'm completely off base

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Slanderer posted:

Unless you're dealing with some crazy-rear end single-wire earth return rural bullshit, the ground current should be negligible. If the description of that photo is accurate, I would imagine that there is some sort of short from hot to ground that has somehow not tripped the breaker, in the process revealing the flaw in their choice of ground.

Either that, or an appliance's neutral was wired to ground and directly connected up to the gas pipe, bypassing the breaker completely.

yeah I would call it a short, but I don't know much about residential anything

source: 1,285 comments and counting, good luck

https://www.reddit.com/r/WTF/comments/4l348u/house_had_no_proper_ground_electricity_grounds/

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
If the gas is on isn't it displacing the O2 in the line, preventing combustion? Wouldn't turning it off slowly allow air to flow in someway

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Enourmo posted:

In a typical house? Not much.

However, considering the house was wired without a ground, I imagine there may be other issues that would cause high ground current, at least for the thin walls of a steel tube not designed for current.

I bet that the ground was wired but the neutral connection to the pole went/is bad. If the two phases aren't perfectly balanced the difference that would normally take that low resistance return is now going to find a way out. Even if there is a properly installed grounding rod or foundation ground, odds are the many yards long buried metal gas line is an even better path.

What's also scary is that inside the walls there is some 14 or 12ga Romex carrying the same current that turned the pipe cherry red.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
Some quick math suggests that the gas connector is carrying at a bare minimum 20 amps, and possibly several times more than that.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Leperflesh posted:

For both of those photos, one should keep in mind that a cell phone camera (or any digital camera) has a CCD in it,

That's why CCD cameras have pretty strong infrared filters installed over the CCD to prevent infrared light from screwing with the photos. If you want to do infrared photography with most digital cameras, you need to modify them to remove the filter or just deal with very long exposure times.

Crimpanzee
Jan 11, 2011
Quick dump:
http://imgur.com/a/xNceG

Pics 1&2 A 3' three outlet extension cord above ceiling, powering a plasma TV. Jammed in the ~1" gap between the concrete deck and top of the conduit/mounting pipe.

Pics 3&4 One of the "buildings" on my folks new property. This is a TWO STORY unattached addition to the original house, which is also a nightmare in its own right. Not to mention another shanty/shed that was inhabited and a pump house built out of fire wood and prayer. Everything is severely slanted, we're tearing it all down of course.

Pic 5 I see this all over the place, how do you bend a pipe that much without damaging the threads and leaking everywhere?

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Instead of threading metal-to-metal the urinal downpipe seals with a thick gasket at the bottom that gives you a lot of wiggle room by design, but that's pretty extreme.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

frozenpussy posted:

from reddit

House had no proper ground, Electricity grounds out through Gas line

:ohdear:

I've heard of old shorted out runs of BX glowing like that, but never a gas line!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

nmfree posted:

All you need is some tusks and a googly eye and you could always obliquely mention "the elephant in the room"

Ooh our old country place had a glacial erratic with a profile very much like that, maybe a bit bigger, between the tractor shed and the chicken house and we called it Elephant Rock. There were some much bigger ones at the edge of the forest and one of them always had rabbit poo poo on it (which is really odd since I don't see why an animal would climb a big rock just to do a poo) and we called it Rabbit poo poo Rock. Welp that's my big rock story hope you enjoyed it :tipshat:

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

From the Dodgy Techs Facebook group. No info on where the poster saw it, but he's based in the US.

It's a good group if you do a lot of production work.

And for something less crappy. Security first.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

kelvron posted:

From the Dodgy Techs Facebook group. No info on where the poster saw it, but he's based in the US.

I have a confession to make. I like this.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

frozenpussy posted:

I have a confession to make. I like this.

Me too. Add a small label [Electrical Panel Inside] to the front and you're golden.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Gounads posted:

Me too. Add a small label [Electrical Panel Inside] to the front and you're golden.

is that the deficiency? I feel like signage would detract from the secret squirrel appeal though.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
It doesn't need a sign it needs a chime

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9d3qCPcMgH4

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I thought it was a safe at first, and I was like, sweet, that's a pretty solid job. Then I realized what was actually going on and, well, nope.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

kid sinister posted:

:ohdear:

I've heard of old shorted out runs of BX glowing like that, but never a gas line!

A guy in AI a while back worked on a car where the ABS module failed in such a way that it shorted to ground... that ground being the rear brake line. It was glowing brightly when he lifted it up, and rusted to poo poo once he disconnected the battery (the other lines were shiny and the car was decently new iirc).

Brake fluid is pretty drat flammable, though obviously not generally explosive.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Slanderer posted:

SWER is some wierd crazy bullshit. My friend has it on a property WAY up in the flinders ranges and the earthing system on that thing is NUTS. Earthing rod is 6m long, bout an inch diameter solid steel pin clad with copper, and theres multiples of them.

DocCynical
Jan 9, 2003

That is not possible just now

kelvron posted:

That is definitely not readily accessible. Looks nice though.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
The electrical panel at my work is exactly like that, slightly different wall panel system but otherwise identical situation.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Builders, more like buildurrrrrrrs

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

It turned out that the layer of leaves at the bottom of my gutters was load bearing.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Shifty Pony posted:

It turned out that the layer of leaves at the bottom of my gutters was load bearing.

Did your roof cave in?

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Shifty Pony posted:

Who thought that was a good spot?

My house had some bad toilet paper placement when I bought it:

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Elder Postsman posted:

And I thought cats and toddlers were bad...

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Elder Postsman posted:

I just realized I've never actually seen a forced air system. They actually blow that strong? I guess it doesn't take much to move toilet paper! The house I grew up in had ducts like those but warm air just sort of came up, there was no force behind it. Everywhere else it's been electric base board garbage or hot water radiators.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Elder Postsman posted:

Well, yeah, the toilet paper end should go under the roll :can:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
YOU SHUT YOUR WHORE MOUTH

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Geirskogul posted:

YOU SHUT YOUR WHORE MOUTH

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQod276-7Mo

:colbert:

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

Baronjutter posted:

I just realized I've never actually seen a forced air system. They actually blow that strong? I guess it doesn't take much to move toilet paper! The house I grew up in had ducts like those but warm air just sort of came up, there was no force behind it. Everywhere else it's been electric base board garbage or hot water radiators.

I've definitely never seen a register that blows w much force. I can see it if the HVAC is oversized for the living space or you're doing some goofy min-max thing by shutting almost all the registers to increase airflow through the remaining open ones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

NancyPants posted:

Did your roof cave in?

Not yet, but the carport ceiling was dripping because the gutter was clogged with a large enough amount of debris to form a dam holding an inch or two of water on the roof. Clearing out the leaves caused the bottom of the gutter to fall out when I washed out the dirt with a hose.

But depending on how much damage was done to the wooden carport structure over the years that the previous tenants ignored the problem a roof collapse might just be in the future!