Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Darth Walrus posted:

Finally, there's Carta's EB-06rs Graze Ritter. The Ritters are ceremonial suits not designed for front-line combat, a blast from Gjallarhorn's heroic past, and so they're optimised for a forgotten form of warfare - mobile suit combat. They don't just share their Valkyrie ancestors' weapons, but also their design priorities - their massive pauldrons and enhanced chest armour are designed to defend against attacks from an angle that no soldier or mobile worker could reach. They aren't terror weapons, but larger-than-life saviours, designed to remind the crowds they perform in front of what Gjallarhorn protected them from.

So yeah, I like cool little details in my mechanical design, and the Graze family are full of them. They really make them feel like actual parts of a world, rather than just things that look badass. Any cool little details in Gundam mech design you like?

The Graze designs are really nice and look like they come from an army running on standardized parts and frames. You're wrong on the Ritter though, the shoulder armor is different to protect the atmospheric thrusters there, and the long shoulder paldrons that look designed to eat incoming damage are only for Carta's custom variant. Her squadmates all have a version more in-line with the original Graze's and the chest armor isn't all that much better than it either. They carry swords because they're designed to be largely ceremonial rather than practical, because as far as they think no-one would ever be insolent enough to DARE come attack Earth, and their CO is the epitome of arrogant upper-crust nobility. The Grimgerde was designed for the real thing - to wade in and slice the poo poo out of Mobile Suits/Gundams up close and personal while deflecting hits with rounded shoulders, wrist-mounted shields and a recessed eyepiece.

The only bad thing for the Graze design is it's really not great for a show with a model kit line - It means you get a half-dozen kits that are fundamentally identical and every other IBO kit announcement is/was, gasp, another near-identical Graze with new hat shoulders :nallears: (Physically, I mean, not including the varying paint-schemes). They really needed to go nuts with the modular frame premise for more than just thigh thrusters for atmospheric flight/maneuvering on the Ritters to get some better variation. Stick some missile pods on the thighs/shoulders or heavy armor, that kinda thing, instead of a single accessory pack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Monaghan posted:

I am sorta surprised how well unicorn and this song goes together.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5jnaextwrQ

Holy poo poo that's good.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The Graze designs are really nice and look like they come from an army running on standardized parts and frames. You're wrong on the Ritter though, the shoulder armor is different to protect the atmospheric thrusters there, and the long shoulder paldrons that look designed to eat incoming damage are only for Carta's custom variant. Her squadmates all have a version more in-line with the original Graze's and the chest armor isn't all that much better than it either. They carry swords because they're designed to be largely ceremonial rather than practical, because as far as they think no-one would ever be insolent enough to DARE come attack Earth, and their CO is the epitome of arrogant upper-crust nobility. The Grimgerde was designed for the real thing - to wade in and slice the poo poo out of Mobile Suits/Gundams up close and personal while deflecting hits with rounded shoulders, wrist-mounted shields and a recessed eyepiece.

See, I'd disagree on this count - the Ritter may be ceremonial, but it's ceremony with a purpose. The sword is basically just a fancier version of the eminently practical battle blades used by the Graze Ground Types on Earth, and while the upper-body armour isn't as practically-built as the Grimgerde's, there is still more of it. All Ritters have both that extended chest armour (angled to a forward rather than downward point to deflect away attacks from the front) and the long pauldrons to protect their torso and shoulder joints - Carta just has that extended cowling for the shoulder thrusters as well. They're definitely better protected from mobile suit attacks than your standard Graze, even if it's in much the same way that a Society for Creative Anachronism guy in home-made plate armour is better protected from broadsword attacks than average.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

Not particularly, but all of the Amerian suits are based on iconic Zeon designs. The Jahannam is the Zaku I, a somewhat dweeby, out-of-shape prototype design. The Space Jahannam is the Zaku II, its bulkier, more intimidating mainstay big brother with heavier shoulder armour (and a shield that fits with its shoulder armour in a manner reminiscent of the MS-06's big flat shoulder-plate). The Montero is the Gouf, a blue ace suit with a whip. The Hecate is the Dom, a heavily-armoured assault suit with an unusual head design and a huge gun. The Armorzagan is a Bigro that can turn into a Big Zam.

That leaves a short, round special-ops suit with a domed head and a dark colour scheme. Even before you take into account the eye thing, the Grimoire's parallels with the Acguy are pretty clear.

I'll give you the Jahannams, but I'm not really convinced about the rest of these. The Montero isn't like the Gouf at all aside from being blue, and the Grimoire and G-Arcane both have the same whip, so it's not as though it's exclusive to the Montero. Similarly, the Armorzagan isn't really similar to the Bigro or Big Zam except for being a Mobile Armor and green (and a completely different shade of green at that). While both the Hecate and Dom have unconventional heads, they're unconventional in very different ways and don't resemble each other at all and the same goes for their guns. While they're both big, one is a bazooka and the other is a gatling gun.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
The Montero is a high-mobility CQB-focused MS with an energy whip, which is probably where the comparisons to the Gouf come from.

It's a shame Aida's custom Montero and the special ops Montero never made it into the show:

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I'm fine with Aida's Montero not appearing since we got the G-Arcane instead. I like the G-arcane a lot.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Droyer posted:

I'm fine with Aida's Montero not appearing since we got the G-Arcane instead. I like the G-arcane a lot.

I don't think having the Montero would have meant no G-Arcane. :v:

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Lemon-Lime posted:

I don't think having the Montero would have meant no G-Arcane. :v:

I don't have a source on this so pinch of salt and all that, but i vaguely remember reading the Montero was gonna be Aida's suit before they changed it to the G-Arcane, so that is what it would mean.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Droyer posted:

I don't have a source on this so pinch of salt and all that, but i vaguely remember reading the Montero was gonna be Aida's suit before they changed it to the G-Arcane, so that is what it would mean.

I think the intention was that she had a Montero initially, but upgraded to the G-Arcane early on.

Guess I should watch the last few episodes of G-Reco. See if that thing ever transforms.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Droyer posted:

I'll give you the Jahannams, but I'm not really convinced about the rest of these. The Montero isn't like the Gouf at all aside from being blue, and the Grimoire and G-Arcane both have the same whip, so it's not as though it's exclusive to the Montero. Similarly, the Armorzagan isn't really similar to the Bigro or Big Zam except for being a Mobile Armor and green (and a completely different shade of green at that). While both the Hecate and Dom have unconventional heads, they're unconventional in very different ways and don't resemble each other at all and the same goes for their guns. While they're both big, one is a bazooka and the other is a gatling gun.

You're looking at this too literally. Consider the Leo from wing, for instance - it doesn't have the same eye design as the Zaku, the same colour scheme, or even the same weapon loadout, but it's very obviously inspired by it. Yes, other Amerian suits have whips, but the Montero still fits the Gouf's 'far-reaching melee weapon' niche by mounting two whips on either end of a great big javelin. The Armorzagan has the same torso/fuselage design as the Bigro and Big Zam, a lenticular disc with a large monoeye on top. Its ground mode mounts it on top of two huge legs, like the Big Zam, while its weapon pods fulfil the role of the Bigro's class in its flight-mode. Neither is the exact same shade of green, but they are green, much as no Zaku is the exact same shade of green as the Jahannams. Finally, there's the Hecate. Its gun may not be the same kind as the Dom's, but it is a huge gun, in much the same way as the Space Nahannam has that massive, fancy folding beam axe instead of the Zaku's little heat hawk. The head design is both round and blocky, much like the Dom's, and the four eyes basically shape out a negative of the Zeon suit's cruciform monoeye track. The shin armour, too, is much bulkier than the Space Jahannam's. Even the pinkish-purple colour scheme is reminiscent of the Dom's paintjob, even if it's not the exact same shade.

There's quite a few parallels, even if Gyobu was very creative in how he reinterpreted the decades-old designs.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BizarroAzrael posted:

I think the intention was that she had a Montero initially, but upgraded to the G-Arcane early on.

Guess I should watch the last few episodes of G-Reco. See if that thing ever transforms.

Nope, completely forgotten altogether :v:.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It transforms in the G-Reco Gundam Evolve-thing episode!

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
Transforming goes against Aida's sense of style.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
It'll transform when G-Reco is finally added to Super Robot Wars.

It'll happen, just you wait! I'm gonna make Aida Queen of the Aces! :colbert:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

It transforms in the G-Reco Gundam Evolve-thing episode!

That episode was basically just one long apology to Aida. She's effectively its main character.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

So,just got Gundam Breaker 3,and I just can't figure out this Bounty Hunter mode. Mostly because all of my opponents are way stronger with a 2-to-1 advantage,and no one ever seems to join me for multiplayer. :sigh:

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

VolticSurge posted:

So,just got Gundam Breaker 3,and I just can't figure out this Bounty Hunter mode. Mostly because all of my opponents are way stronger with a 2-to-1 advantage,and no one ever seems to join me for multiplayer. :sigh:

I'll join you if you are on PS4. What's your PSN?

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

TaurusOxford posted:

I'll join you if you are on PS4. What's your PSN?

Megase-Xlr. PS.Don't have voice comms,if that's not a deal-breaker. Also,I'm taking a break right now,but I'll be on again later tonight.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Oooooooh, the universe,
Flickering heartbeats in their veins,
Star childreeeeeeen, sky high!!!

(song still stuck in my head)

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Lances are pretty great in Gundam Breaker 3, I've got a nice configuration with Epyon's heat rod that lets me smash face. But I liked Trans Am with the teleport sidestep, which I previously needed the 00 Twin Drives for. I just got the 00Q pack, which has a GN Drive, but it doesn't enable Trans Am, the torso does. Just wanted something less massive than the 0 Raiser or Seven Sword pack until I unlock the ability.

Going to try and share once I've figured out how.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I don't remember seeing this posted. It's a guy taking someone else's translation of a transcript and tweets at face value so it could be BS. There are a bunch of stereotypically cranky Tomino statements in there but not quite so many that it's obvious parody:

Tomino says G-Reco is 500 years after Turn A

EDIT: vvvv yeah I'm not remembering anything today it appears. Thanks!

Midjack fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jun 2, 2016

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Midjack posted:

I don't remember seeing this posted. It's a guy taking someone else's translation of a transcript and tweets at face value so it could be BS. There are a bunch of stereotypically cranky Tomino statements in there but not quite so many that it's obvious parody:

Tomino says G-Reco is 500 years after Turn A

Yeah, this went around a while back. It makes no sense with anything considering the shows as broadcast, but... Tomino does like making timeline obsessives miserable.

Anyway, I think some staff on the show said something about "What? We didn't have any idea about this" when it first came up, but I can't remember too clearly. Someone else'll have to fill in the details, if there are any.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

It's worth keeping in mind that you can make option parts vastly more powerful than the normal melee and ranged weapons.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I wish the translations of stuff Tomino says were more comprehensive, instead of sensational

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I think it makes way more sense for g-reco to take place after turn a, rather than the other way around.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

When Attack on Titan was airing Tomino had positive and negative things to say about it

Cue a lot of articles talking about Tomino being a cranky out of touch old man who hates everything

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Srice posted:

When Attack on Titan was airing Tomino had positive and negative things to say about it

Cue a lot of articles talking about Tomino being a cranky out of touch old man who hates everything

Old man yells at anime cloud.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SeanBeansShako posted:

Old man yells at anime cloud.

You just described half the Final Fantasy threads on the internet.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Darth Walrus posted:

See, I'd disagree on this count - the Ritter may be ceremonial, but it's ceremony with a purpose. The sword is basically just a fancier version of the eminently practical battle blades used by the Graze Ground Types on Earth, and while the upper-body armour isn't as practically-built as the Grimgerde's, there is still more of it. All Ritters have both that extended chest armour (angled to a forward rather than downward point to deflect away attacks from the front) and the long pauldrons to protect their torso and shoulder joints - Carta just has that extended cowling for the shoulder thrusters as well. They're definitely better protected from mobile suit attacks than your standard Graze, even if it's in much the same way that a Society for Creative Anachronism guy in home-made plate armour is better protected from broadsword attacks than average.

So they wind up mildly better than the typical Graze at taking on Mobile Suits by accident/not understanding why it can? Okay, yeah I could see that.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

You just described half the Final Fantasy threads on the internet.
Only half?

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Luminaflare posted:

It's worth keeping in mind that you can make option parts vastly more powerful than the normal melee and ranged weapons.

Please go into more detail on min-maxing the systems and stuff, and what's actually useful to have stat-wise.

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

Kurui Reiten posted:

Please go into more detail on min-maxing the systems and stuff, and what's actually useful to have stat-wise.

Phonepost but it basically boils down this, you can stack option part damage up to 15k on every part that can have it, this leade to a 60k bonus, due to the way option part dps is calculated this makes some things do absolutely batshit damage.

I'm running the gold frame backpack claws on one of my suits with about 30k increase total, this turns it into a oneshot against everything apart from bosses and defence cores, on difficulties below extreme its a oneshot against everything including the final boss, newtype is still challenging. Option melee also does stupid damage with this setup. Good things for this setup are health on break, option on break/kill and option capacity/charge speed( I'm running around with enough capacity to start with 50 health kits instead of 20)

You can also make a superkilly shooty suit by using the damage increase for your weapon type, piercing rounds, and the aim mode bonus damage, good options for complementing this setup is ammo/reload speed.(raw damage weapons are the best for this, not elemental ones)

Then as an aside you want to have the orange systems to match these things since they apply seperately. Which causes the numbers to go funny. As in 300k per gatling gun round funny.

Generally good to have is EX on break/kill, health on break/kill and burst charge on break/kill. Passive health regen helps but you need a crapton of it once your health goes above 1.5 million.

If you have a specific EX type you use a lot, it's worth upgrading that with cubes as well. I've never bothered with it since my suit pretty much just has a variety of hypermodes and more weapon systems than i can map to the d-pad(crossbone kai kai+ gold frame backpack)

Pretty sure the JP version isnt compatible with the asian release, kinda tempted to grab it so i can play with goons.(the translation guides and interpeting moonspeak was always part of the gundam breaker experience)

AzMiLion fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Jun 3, 2016

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
I found 0083 okay but forgettable. I also found Uraki's actions and motivations baffling. Gato was a dumb piece of poo poo, but at least I understood him.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I just finished 45, so not much left to go in Zeta.
-Scirocco is just a creep. I don't really find him interesting, I don't think he makes for a good villain. But ignoring that, he has some sort of mind control thing going on with his new type powers right? It hasn't been outright said, but it seems like a pretty plausible explanation for how people act towards him.
-I love how Jerid's character arc seems to be getting progressively more and more badass and nearly loving up everyone's poo poo and plans only to still fail at the last possible moment because he is Jerid. Also his rise in the Titans seems to be based around the fact that everyone in the titans are just constantly dying but him, its hilarious. Jerid is the best.
-Jerid is the worst because he kill Apolly
-Axis Zeon is more interesting than vanilla Zeon. Harman is a way better villain than Scirocco. The bit where she is basically laughing in Char's face by telling Mineva that the AEUG is now working for them was great.

Astonaige is my favorite character I can never remember the name of.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Scirocco can't directly mind control people, but he's a ludicrously, monstrously powerful newtype and is portrayed as incredibly charismatic and manipulative to an almost hypnotic level.

Jerid becomes the most elite MS pilot in the Titans besides Yazan by virtue of being the only one to come back without dying on a consistent basis, yes.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Kanos posted:

Jerid becomes the most elite MS pilot in the Titans besides Yazan by virtue of being the only one to come back without dying on a consistent basis, yes.

And I've just realized he's probably inspiration for Patrick in 00.

Jerid had a good story arc in Dynasty Warriors Gundam 2, even though it was born of a nonsensical alliance between the Titans and ZAFT.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Kanos posted:

Scirocco can't directly mind control people, but he's a ludicrously, monstrously powerful newtype and is portrayed as incredibly charismatic and manipulative to an almost hypnotic level.

I think that he can exert a degree of mind-control. He can definitely adversely affect people's brains in some pretty extreme ways, and being capable of more delicate work absolutely fits with him as a character.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Darth Walrus posted:

I think that he can exert a degree of mind-control. He can definitely adversely affect people's brains in some pretty extreme ways, and being capable of more delicate work absolutely fits with him as a character.

I guess I'm just stuck on the phrasing "mind control". He's charismatic and incredibly adept at manipulating people to do what he wants and swear their loyalty to him. How much control he can exert over them is entirely dependent on how receptive they'd be to him in the first place; characters like Sara and Reccoa, who are already attracted to him and are trying to find a purpose in their lives, are extremely vulnerable to his particular talents of manipulation. Characters like Jamitov and Bask who openly distrust Scirocco's motives and are only allied with him out of convenience are largely immune to his more subtle manipulations and have to be tricked and backstabbed the old fashioned way.

If he was capable of messing with most peoples' thoughts consistently he certainly would have deployed that ability against the various people who stood in his way or were inconvenient for his plans. I don't think there's any evidence of him being able to directly gently caress with peoples' brains except for his final strike against Kamille, which appeared to be simply a brute force "I'm going to scream my psychic death throes directly into your mind" attack.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Jun 3, 2016

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

So, I was rereading a bit of The Origin, and I have to take back something I said earlier.

Revil never lied to Degwin.

At least, not in so many words.

Looking at it, everything he said can read in two ways. He's saying things Degwin takes as "Yep, I'm going back and giving my bosses your plea for peace/surrender."

But it can also be taken as, well, "Zeon is exhausted!"

Clever man, Revil. If he'd survived the war, things would probably have spent much less time going to poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

From the Weird Fanart Thread.