Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
Googles 5x case is super rad. It has fabric on the back and is very nice quality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Spiegen cases are mostly great but for me hit or miss, the 6P tough armour one has awfully stiff unusable buttons. I still fall back to Diztronic, they're plain but so good and cheap.

Is that different from the 'Rugged Armour'? I have one of those on my 6P and it has excellent button feel compared to the Diztronic I had on my old N4

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

dissss posted:

Is that different from the 'Rugged Armour'? I have one of those on my 6P and it has excellent button feel compared to the Diztronic I had on my old N4

Sorry yeah, this one: https://www.amazon.ca/Spigen®-Rugged-Ultimate-Protection-Resilient/dp/B016CBFBVI

The buttons are so stiff it's bascially an unusable case. Think it's worth checking with their support?

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
Just don't get the blue diztronic case if you have a white backed Nexus 5X, it stains it.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Sorry yeah, this one: https://www.amazon.ca/Spigen®-Rugged-Ultimate-Protection-Resilient/dp/B016CBFBVI

The buttons are so stiff it's bascially an unusable case. Think it's worth checking with their support?

Your link isn't working for me but this is the one I have and the buttons are fine (good even): http://www.spigen.com/products/nexus-6p-case-rugged-armor

I'd definitely return your one and see if the replacement is better

e. General comment on the case - it's rather thick and does add a lot of bulk to the phone but is easy enough to remove that I tend to take my phone out of it once I get to work anyway (the worst that is going to happen there is the phone might fall on the carpet)

dissss fucked around with this message at 02:11 on May 29, 2016

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

dissss posted:

Your link isn't working for me but this is the one I have and the buttons are fine (good even): http://www.spigen.com/products/nexus-6p-case-rugged-armor

I'd definitely return your one and see if the replacement is better

e. General comment on the case - it's rather thick and does add a lot of bulk to the phone but is easy enough to remove that I tend to take my phone out of it once I get to work anyway (the worst that is going to happen there is the phone might fall on the carpet)

Just wanted to chime in and say that I have this case and it's very nice :)

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

hooah posted:

Goddammit Google, why does your keyboard not show predictions in your own search app??

I want to like google keyboard but every time I try it this pisses me off to no extent.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
I noticed you can't add words to dictionary by tapping them anymore? So now it just autocorrect and gives me no option otherwise.

How was Google's keyboard from loving froyo better than it is now?

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

Bob A Feet posted:

I noticed you can't add words to dictionary by tapping them anymore? So now it just autocorrect and gives me no option otherwise.

This is pissing me off too. I figured the option was still there, but I can no longer make it work.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Further thoughts on the Nexus 6p after a week in: Still like it. Now that I've retrained myself (charging by habit) I realize I get two days of use out of it before charging instead of a 1/2 day, so I'm pretty impressed by the battery thus far. I also use YouTube/music player a lot more since it feels like it has the horsepower to handle it, unlike my previous phone. Fingerprint sensor has yet to mess me up, though I do feel that it shunts to lock mode too quickly, though maybe that contributes to the longer battery life. I will say: if you got little hands you should look elsewhere, or resign yourself to two-handing it like a tablet. I can do everything like a one hander, but I have pretty outsized hands. The reception/antennae seems a lot better too; on my old phone I'd always lose 3G when moving in and out of wifi, sometimes having to cycle power just to get signal back, but that has yet to happen with the 6p. I will say that I'd consider a cover of some kind for the back nearly a requirement, the metal body is not resistant to dings and scratches at all. I spent a day without a cover and noticed 2-3 small imperfections that could only have come about by co-existing in my front pocket with a plastic lighter. (Note: don't keep phones in your back pocket)

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
6p battery: I am a heavy user and my battery will go all day, 6am to 7pm or so. It's usable for me, not spectacular, the redeeming value however is that plugging it in for 15 minutes (quick car trip, or 15 minutes at my desk) will give you 50% of battery life and add another 6 hours of heavy use time. The USB C charging is amazing.

Amara
Jun 4, 2009
I'm sorry if this has already been covered, but has anyone had issues with the 6p microphone recently? I didn't get any complaints until just this week and now it seems like no one I talk to can hear me clearly. I can hear them totally fine, so it's not a reception issue, and it happens to multiple people (literally everyone I've called) with many different phones whether I call out or receive calls. I'm calling multiple people per day with my cell as part of my job so it's been very clear that my phone was working fine one week and then suddenly working terribly. My phone updated recently, not sure if it has anything to do with that. Any troubleshooting tips? Do I have to take my phone somewhere to fix it? Where would I even go?

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Amara posted:

I'm sorry if this has already been covered, but has anyone had issues with the 6p microphone recently? I didn't get any complaints until just this week and now it seems like no one I talk to can hear me clearly. I can hear them totally fine, so it's not a reception issue, and it happens to multiple people (literally everyone I've called) with many different phones whether I call out or receive calls. I'm calling multiple people per day with my cell as part of my job so it's been very clear that my phone was working fine one week and then suddenly working terribly. My phone updated recently, not sure if it has anything to do with that. Any troubleshooting tips? Do I have to take my phone somewhere to fix it? Where would I even go?

Take a look at the mic, make sure it's not covered in lint or anything like that.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
Compressed air to get Cheeto dust out.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I just posted this in the Fi thready but I've had a 6p for a few weeks now and the call quality has been awful and from my home I have to constantly just call people back via landline. I really hope it's just the service and not the phone as my last day to return it is tomorrow. :smith:

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Keyser S0ze posted:

I just posted this in the Fi thready but I've had a 6p for a few weeks now and the call quality has been awful and from my home I have to constantly just call people back via landline. I really hope it's just the service and not the phone as my last day to return it is tomorrow. :smith:

Fi was absolutely awful for me with constant dropped calls, slow/lack of service in/around San Francisco. It probably really depends on where you are but it's not like the price is good enough to entice you to stay.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Amara posted:

Read the thread title.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

uPen posted:

Fi was absolutely awful for me with constant dropped calls, slow/lack of service in/around San Francisco. It probably really depends on where you are but it's not like the price is good enough to entice you to stay.

I travel between Sac and SF and it was pretty bad everywhere for call/voice quality - and even worse in Oakland (where of course it always chose some Sprint 2G poo poo tower) over my prior MotoXP15 on Tmobile (which was still bad but not horrible). Oh well, I gave it 2 weeks, meh. I guess I'll switch to a TMobile prepaid.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
So I just got a Galaxy S7 Edge, and it's great... except that it seems slower running games than my old S6? :wtc:

New phone, nothing messed with, just updated to latest OS.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
I've used Google Voice for basically every text message for some years now, and after switching to Fi a week ago, I now use hangouts.

I kinda miss Google Voice.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

photomikey posted:

I've used Google Voice for basically every text message for some years now, and after switching to Fi a week ago, I now use hangouts.

I kinda miss Google Voice.

I'm not sure what you're saying here. Do you mean you used the Google Voice app? Because Hangouts works great as a Google Voice SMS client...I've used it that way for years.

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice
One would think that when you are listening to voicemail in the phone app (Nexus 6P using google voice), that it would recognize that you have the speaker up to your ear, and NOT blow out your ear drums with full volume notifications as they come in at the same time.

Also, one annoying thing that I hope gets fixed in the final version of N: I was replying to a hangouts message using the nice new quick reply in the status bar pulldown, when I recieved a second message from someone else. This takes away your quick reply and the message you were typing. I get this is in beta, but boy is it stupid.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
You know something I've never done before on my phone, even though I've had cell phones for almost 20 years now? Listen to music on it. Now I have a 6P and some sweet new bluetooth headphones and I just put a bunch of albums from my computer into the "Music" folder on my Nexus and...I have no idea how to access them on my phone. What I'd like to avoid is using any streaming or cloud-based service, because I'll be listening to music in places where I don't have a connection, like on the subway or in the gym. What kind of music player software do I need, or would I just be running my songs off of my VLC player?

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Fhqwhgads posted:

You know something I've never done before on my phone, even though I've had cell phones for almost 20 years now? Listen to music on it. Now I have a 6P and some sweet new bluetooth headphones and I just put a bunch of albums from my computer into the "Music" folder on my Nexus and...I have no idea how to access them on my phone. What I'd like to avoid is using any streaming or cloud-based service, because I'll be listening to music in places where I don't have a connection, like on the subway or in the gym. What kind of music player software do I need, or would I just be running my songs off of my VLC player?
Your phone has a built in music playing app. Search for 'music' in your apps.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

You should use Google music even if you don't want to stream. It's way better for backup and syncing than plugging into a computer and managing your own library. If you want to listen offline, pin the song/album/artist/playlist. It's silly not to use it.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

Gobbeldygook posted:

Your phone has a built in music playing app. Search for 'music' in your apps.

RZA Encryption posted:

You should use Google music even if you don't want to stream. It's way better for backup and syncing than plugging into a computer and managing your own library. If you want to listen offline, pin the song/album/artist/playlist. It's silly not to use it.

I'll just have to pay around with it more I guess. I'll need to figure out how to get it to play just what I already have and not stream it for no reason. I'll get it sooner or later.

Fhqwhgads fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jun 1, 2016

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

RZA Encryption posted:

Is plugging your phone in and dragging and dropping a bunch of folders really more difficult than pinning albums one at a time? If Google would ever get around to letting us pin an entire artist, then maybe that would be faster.

Fhqwhgads posted:

I'll just have to pay around with it more I guess. I'll need to figure out how to get it to play just what I already have and not stream it for no reason. I'll get it sooner or later.

There's a toggle in the menu to only show "downloaded" music, which will only display what is on your phone. It's not going to stream anything.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

My Nexus 5 has hit the 30 month self obsolescence limit. Bluetooth drains the battery to zero in a few hours, even when not actively in use. The wireless charging coil seems to be failing because it won't charge unless I squish my phone a few times just right before putting it down.

The 6p/5x didn't really impress me, so I've been trying to hobble to the 5xx/6px out whatever shows up this year, but I'll be damned if this phone isn't trying it's hardest to make me replace it sooner.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Mr. Powers posted:

My Nexus 5 has hit the 30 month self obsolescence limit. Bluetooth drains the battery to zero in a few hours, even when not actively in use. The wireless charging coil seems to be failing because it won't charge unless I squish my phone a few times just right before putting it down.

The 6p/5x didn't really impress me, so I've been trying to hobble to the 5xx/6px out whatever shows up this year, but I'll be damned if this phone isn't trying it's hardest to make me replace it sooner.

I destroyed mine trying to replace the battery but yeah, mine wasn't doing much better than yours at 2.5 years. I ended up buying a refurb N5 for $170 that I'll use for a spare once the new ones come out.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

Mr. Powers posted:

FWIW, the 5X is basically a better 5. Better camera, mainly.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

nocal posted:

FWIW, the 5X is basically a better 5. Better camera, mainly.

Yeah, I guess I was expecting a bigger jump, and the Snapdragon 820 hit the need shortly after so I figured I'd wait until I could a Nexus with an 820.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Is plugging your phone in and dragging and dropping a bunch of folders really more difficult than pinning albums one at a time?

Yeah

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I have to agree here. A normal user shouldn't be using a file browser for anything.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I'm so old I use MusicBee. I just sync that locally.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I have a 2013 Moto X which I love (I like Moto's glance-esque software and the phone was generally nice but just too sluggish now).

Amazon has this for sale today: https://www.amazon.com/ZenFone-Special-Unlocked-Cellphone-Warranty/dp/B015ZKK2ES?ie=UTF8&ref_=gbps_tit_s-3_8062_5f6637d3&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

One of my biggest issues with my phone is the 16 gig storage which is poo poo. 128 gigs for this price seems hard to pass up.

Anyone have this phone?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

BonoMan posted:

I have a 2013 Moto X which I love (I like Moto's glance-esque software and the phone was generally nice but just too sluggish now).

Amazon has this for sale today: https://www.amazon.com/ZenFone-Special-Unlocked-Cellphone-Warranty/dp/B015ZKK2ES?ie=UTF8&ref_=gbps_tit_s-3_8062_5f6637d3&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

One of my biggest issues with my phone is the 16 gig storage which is poo poo. 128 gigs for this price seems hard to pass up.

Anyone have this phone?

Did you like the size of the Moto X? This thing is a ton bigger: http://www.phonearena.com/phones/size#/phones/size/Motorola-Moto-X,Asus-ZenFone-2/phones/7885,9050

It also probably just isn't that great: http://www.androidcentral.com/asus-zenfone-2-review

Though if storage is your big concern, not sure what else will be better. 16GB Nexus 5X is cheap and good, but 16GB.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

RVProfootballer posted:

Did you like the size of the Moto X? This thing is a ton bigger: http://www.phonearena.com/phones/size#/phones/size/Motorola-Moto-X,Asus-ZenFone-2/phones/7885,9050

It also probably just isn't that great: http://www.androidcentral.com/asus-zenfone-2-review

Though if storage is your big concern, not sure what else will be better. 16GB Nexus 5X is cheap and good, but 16GB.

I actually felt like my Moto X was too small so I welcome the large screen.

I might just go with the Moto X Pure 32 or 64 gig. More than $100 more, but at least I know I like the Motos.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
I was incredibly thankful not to have to use a File Browser for music anymore, even as someone with the technical knowhow to do so. It's so much loving easier to just load music up in Google Play Music and never have to drag + drop between SD cards, phones and devices ever again. Hell, the 50k song My Library without a subscription is a lot bigger than most people's music library anyway.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Is the G5 a bust? I'm on AT&T and in need of a phone in a hurry, and I can't afford to buy a 6P outright at the moment. I loved my G3 but something went catastrophically wrong and it melted while charging. I suppose I could cheap out and get a G4 with a shorter Next plan so that I could upgrade again sooner since there seems to be a dearth of good Android phones on AT&T right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Godinster posted:

I was incredibly thankful not to have to use a File Browser for music anymore, even as someone with the technical knowhow to do so. It's so much loving easier to just load music up in Google Play Music and never have to drag + drop between SD cards, phones and devices ever again. Hell, the 50k song My Library without a subscription is a lot bigger than most people's music library anyway.

I love google music in every way but the phone interface. Just give me a loving list view instead of cards for browsing albums and artists, ffs.