Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

defectivemonkey posted:

For a long time I made smoothies in some non-Vitamix bullshit and would try to put some leafy greens tougher than spinach in and it would always be grainy and not-quite-totally-blended. Now I snap the beets off of beet greens, wash them off and throw the leaves and stalks in a Vitamix with some smoothie stuff and it comes out floofy and red and great. Get it. It was my tax return spending one year and I haven't regretted it for a second.

Is there a preferred model? I'm having trouble seeing the difference between the lot of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

PRADA SLUT posted:

Is there a preferred model? I'm having trouble seeing the difference between the lot of them.

My neighbor swears by the 1363 she got last christmas. Said it's the best blender she's ever had. I'm not sure I could or would ever spend 500 bucks on a blender but it made some insanely good pina coladas.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012
Mine's a 7500 because my kitchen is small and I needed it to fit under cabinets (and I leave it out all the time. If you're not making a ton of stuff at a time you may want to look at the smaller S-series ones. Mine doesn't love it if I try to blend a small amount of stuff (like less than half a cup blended will just hang out on the bottom under the blades). There are also some that have an extra container to grind dry stuff like flour and grains so if you're into that option then look for that.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

I always use the bones I've eaten from. It only takes a couple of seconds at simmer temperatures to sterilize anything, and it's going for hours. Unless your mouth is full of volcano dwelling extremophiles nothing is going to be alive in there when it's done.

That Works posted:

Yeah it's no problem. I save all the bones from our meals and toss em in the freezer until I get a good bag full and make stock. If you are worried, bring it up to a rolling boil for a couple minutes before dropping to a simmer, or bonus, use a pressure cooker and save a lot of time and have virtually 0 concerns about sterility.

Thanks, that makes perfect sense. Now I just get to regret wasting all those bones until now.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
Would you guys have any recommendations to prepare swordfish steaks for cooking on the barbecue grill?

In the winter, I made them sous vide + finished pan frying in panko batter, that was pretty good but I don't think it'd play out to the grill's strengths.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I need some dried guajillo chillies and found some in my cupboard, but they expired in 2012. I have never used them before, will they be usable?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Probably usable but considering that a bag is like a buck or two I'd get some fresher ones

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Thanks, I'm in the UK and deeply resent how hard it is to find things like this, I'd probably have to order online and I want to make a chilli tomorrow!

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Anjow posted:

Thanks, I'm in the UK and deeply resent how hard it is to find things like this, I'd probably have to order online and I want to make a chilli tomorrow!

I know what you mean. Especially frustrating reading Food Lab and having Kenji spouting how important it is to have fresh chiles. Kenji, try living outside of California for a little bit. :argh:

What I've personally found is that older chiles will retain the heat but not much of the flavour. So, not that interesting. :(

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I'm making limoncello with this method:
http://gizmodo.com/how-to-make-the-best-limoncello-youve-ever-had-1533528095

But I realized that I got the lemons set up so just a tiny lIL bit is in the vodka, like so:

Is this gonna ruin my batch?

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

Jan posted:

Would you guys have any recommendations to prepare swordfish steaks for cooking on the barbecue grill?

In the winter, I made them sous vide + finished pan frying in panko batter, that was pretty good but I don't think it'd play out to the grill's strengths.

Just olive oil salt and pepper should do. We would do a fruity salsa too like mango sometimes.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.
e: nevermind

dhamster fucked around with this message at 01:24 on May 30, 2016

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

Mr. Wiggles posted:

If it's a whole piece, Put the whole tri tip on the cool side of your grill for about 10 a side, then sear it off on the hot side to get it all nice and crusty.

If it's not, them do whatever you want I guess. I've never cooked tri tip except as the entire cut.

I had 3 "steaks" cut about 1 to 1-1/2 inches square by 4-6 inches long. Ended up trimming the fat, marinating in orange and lime juice with garlic, pepper, cumin, fresh oregano and cilantro, and olive oil for about an hour after poking them full of holes with a jaccard.

Grilled them over direct medium heat uncovered for 10 minutes on a side, and they turned out really tasty - juicy, medium to medium rare. Retained enough of the marinade taste to make it interesting.

Would have been perfect if I hadn't dropped one of the three on the deck when taking it off the grill :ohdear:

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Jan posted:

I'm partial to the method Jacques Pepin uses in his "Grilled Swordfish With Spicy Yogurt Sauce" recipe: Oil liberally, season to taste, throw it on the grill for a bit, and finish in a very low oven. ("180 degrees" is not a typo. And yes, it's in Fahrenheit.) And that recipe is loving delicious. Swordfish also takes well to smoke if you want to throw some wood chips on.

You can do the whole cook on the grill if you'd prefer; with a normal cut, you're probably looking at 4–5 minutes per side to get just barely done in the middle.

If you're cooking for someone who needs their fish definitively cooked through, though, definitely throw it in the oven for a longer finish over grilling longer. ~16 minutes at 180 gets a steak that's fully cooked through, at a safe center temperature, but still incredibly juicy, tender, and worth eating.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Molten Llama posted:

I'm partial to the method Jacques Pepin uses in his "Grilled Swordfish With Spicy Yogurt Sauce" recipe: Oil liberally, season to taste, throw it on the grill for a bit, and finish in a very low oven. ("180 degrees" is not a typo. And yes, it's in Fahrenheit.) And that recipe is loving delicious. Swordfish also takes well to smoke if you want to throw some wood chips on.

Hmm, sounds good! As much as I like sous vide, I wouldn't mind skipping all the setup if it's only a marginal improvement. Thanks!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Stuff them with ricotta and fry them.

Thanks this is delicious.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Steve Yun posted:

Thanks this is delicious.

Holy poo poo. Well done!

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
As an aside, "squash blossom" is one of the most euphemism-for-butthole sounding food words I've ever heard.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Wife just came home with a little planter pot of cinnamon basil. What should I be using it for?

deadparrot
Aug 11, 2015
With summer just beginning, looking for recommendations for a compact standing or tabletop outdoor grill. Charcoal isn't allowed by my apartment complex, so I'm limited to gas or electric. Balcony is about 3 feet deep by 6 feet wide, so space is at something of a premium. I'm very much a casual/novice griller, so I don't need tons of bells and whistles--just a good, steady product for when I have a few friends over and want to do some burgers and brats.

Just browsing Amazon, I've come up with what appear to be a few good options in regards to rating vs. price point...would love recommendations on these or any others that might be out there.

For electric:
Char-Broil TRU Infrared: http://www.amazon.com/Char-Broil-Infrared-Electric-Patio-Bistro/dp/B00BFPMLOW/
George Foreman Indoor/Outdoor: http://www.amazon.com/George-Foreman-GFO240S-Outdoor-Electric/dp/B00OHRH3HA/

Gas:
Cuisinart Portable Outdoor Propane Grill: http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-CGG-200-Portable-Outdoor-Tabletop/dp/B001TOWLTO/

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I made chili on Monday evening. Will I die if I eat it for dinner on Thursday night? It's been in the fridge the whole time.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I'm still alive and I've eaten single pot foods from the fridge for way way longer than that

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

AnonSpore posted:

I'm still alive and I've eaten single pot foods from the fridge for way way longer than that

Yeah, upwards of two weeks, depending on what it is.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Red_Fred posted:

I made chili on Monday evening. Will I die if I eat it for dinner on Thursday night? It's been in the fridge the whole time.

Monday evening as in yesterday? You'll be fine. Hell, I've eaten chili that's sat in the fridge for over a week and been fine. Even if you mean Monday the 23rd it's probably still fine.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
My Monday as in your Sunday most likely. For some reason I thought left overs wouldn't last past a few days.

I was also concerned as I put chilies adobo in it that had been left out of the fridge overnight. Figured they are spicy so that would be fine.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I usually toss meat containing leftovers after a week, never had any issues.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
If I can reasonably eat chili for two weeks from the fridge then I'm busting out both of my slow cookers this weekend.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Lawnie posted:

If I can reasonably eat chili for two weeks from the fridge then I'm busting out both of my slow cookers this weekend.

You can also freeze chili, I've frozen it and eaten it over a month later and it was just as good as if I left it overnight in the fridge.

Vixenella
Mar 24, 2009
My grandmother loves Lemon Earl Grey shortbread cookies and is requesting them often now... We first bought her some from a local store but they seem to be out of stock. Does anyone have a reliable yummy recipe?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Lawnie posted:

Two weeks is pushing it but let it sit overnight to meld then freeze individual portions. Eat dat poo poo for months.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Vixenella posted:

My grandmother loves Lemon Earl Grey shortbread cookies and is requesting them often now... We first bought her some from a local store but they seem to be out of stock. Does anyone have a reliable yummy recipe?

I've made this recipe before and it's good: http://www.canadianliving.com/food/baking_and_desserts/pick_a_tea_shortbread.php

Substitute lemon rind or whatever other citrus thing you want for the orange rind (blood orange makes it look kinda neat).

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Can you guys recommend any sites for brining/marinating/seasoning tofu, mainly for frying/scrambling?

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
How long does chicken broth in the original container keep in the fridge after it's been opened?

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy
I have a ton of canned tuna and salmon in my pantry that's been sitting forever. What can I do with it besides casserole and tuna salad?

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Lawnie posted:

How long does chicken broth in the original container keep in the fridge after it's been opened?

Depends, probably about a week barring any preservatives etc. Smell it.

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

Stinky_Pete posted:

I have a ton of canned tuna and salmon in my pantry that's been sitting forever. What can I do with it besides casserole and tuna salad?

Croquettes?

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Stinky_Pete posted:

LongSack's got a good idea. Also if you normally make celery/mayonnaise tuna salad you can introduce some flavor variety by using any or all of capers, sliced olive, or diced pepperoncini and using the stuff in oil (or adding olive oil to the water-packed tuna) instead of mayo :toot:

e: For that matter, you could also substitute white or brown rice or barley for the noodles in the casserole and try different flavors, maybe with spinach or broccoli.

hogmartin fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jun 2, 2016

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy
Awesome, thanks!

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Lawnie posted:

6-10 days I'd guess? That depends though. You said original container so I'm assuming it's store bought. It should last a good week after opening if that's the case. After about 8 or 9 days I don't know if I'd trust it if it's been opened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
And if you are at 5 or 6 days since you opened it, freeze it of you don't think you will use it soon enough