Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Cant apply it AND Carthus Rouge at the same time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Million Ghosts posted:

wait wait does Carthus Flame Arc really have like no int/faith requirement? why doesn't literally everyone use this?

It has really bad scaling compared to the other weapon buff spells. For the price of the spell you could buy 200 charcoal resins for roughly the same effect, and you don't even need an attunement slot for them.

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Jun 1, 2016

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

but you wouldn't use other spell buffs if you didn't invest anything into int/fth so it's a moot point

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
doesn't it last longer than item buffs anyways? it's not a game changer but why not take free attack power. also i always start as deprived so it takes literally no stat investment.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

It barely adds any damage at all though. I just tested it out on my character with 40/40/10/10 and a +10 refined longsword. Against the Lothric knight in front of the twin princes fog door I was doing 248 damage without the buff and 270 with. That kind of sucks!

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
is there something better to run on a primarily weapons only character? pyro doesn't do much damage with 10 int/faith and it beats nothing.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

a bow

Asimov
Feb 15, 2016

Fister Roboto posted:

It barely adds any damage at all though. I just tested it out on my character with 40/40/10/10 and a +10 refined longsword. Against the Lothric knight in front of the twin princes fog door I was doing 248 damage without the buff and 270 with. That kind of sucks!

An extra ~8.8% damage for basically nothing on a deprived seems like a pretty good deal, but I agree it is very modest all things considered.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

If I put on a fire clutch ring and tank my defenses It goes up to 273 damage! WOW

Million Ghosts posted:

is there something better to run on a primarily weapons only character? pyro doesn't do much damage with 10 int/faith and it beats nothing.

I'd argue that it's not worth the stat investment for a melee only character. Again, charcoal resins can do the same thing without needing the stats.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

Not for PVP. That bit of extra damage can mean a world of difference.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

Fister Roboto posted:

If I put on a fire clutch ring and tank my defenses It goes up to 273 damage! WOW

I'd argue that it's not worth the stat investment for a melee only character. Again, charcoal resins can do the same thing without needing the stats.

if there was stat investment then sure, but like i said i only run deprived and guess who has 10s

always have a bow, but the pyro hand weighs nothing so why not.

Million Ghosts fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Jun 1, 2016

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
There's no reason to cast flame arc when you can just use a resin instead.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

It's alright if you just want to fire-stun a dude w/o switching weapons since a lot of enemies in this game stop-drop-and-roll at the dimmest pyrotechnics. Dogs,leech men/leech monsters, the pus of man, naked undead, etc all hate fire.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

gently caress the Pus of Man those guys keep murdering me all the time.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

SynthOrange posted:

Anything fire wrecks them, I tend to just toss bombs from a distance

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Finally finished this after waiting a month for my computer to get fixed. gently caress Jailers.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Internet Kraken posted:

There's no reason to cast flame arc when you can just use a resin instead.

It's a real shame because the fire weapon buff in DS2 kicked so much rear end that it had to be nerfed pretty heavily.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

Anything fire wrecks them, I tend to just toss bombs from a distance

yeah this works well. there's a little cooldown period where you can't stagger them right away, but if you can time it right any fire attack can keep them basically stunlocked. also a lot of them can be killed before transforming but I think that means you get stuck with regular hollow souls/drop table

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah you don't get anything good from killing them while they're normal hollows

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Manatee Cannon posted:

yeah this works well. there's a little cooldown period where you can't stagger them right away, but if you can time it right any fire attack can keep them basically stunlocked. also a lot of them can be killed before transforming but I think that means you get stuck with regular hollow souls/drop table

That's correct. The two in the High Wall have a guaranteed drop the first time you kill them, an ember and a shard each, so definitely let them spawn.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Asimov posted:

An extra ~8.8% damage for basically nothing on a deprived seems like a pretty good deal, but I agree it is very modest all things considered.

Charcoal Pine Resin is +85 fire damage, doesn't require an attunement slot, and doesn't cost FP to use. If you're somehow not able to afford resins (how???) then it can be a good deal I guess, or maybe if you're running out of resin uses while you run around?

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

SynthOrange posted:

If only you had Flame Arc they'd be cake.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

So if I summon two players for a boss, head into the boss fog and start the fight, then the two player drop/ditch me the boss's health does reduce, right?

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Golden Goat posted:

So if I summon two players for a boss, head into the boss fog and start the fight, then the two player drop/ditch me the boss's health does reduce, right?

I don't think so. Earlier today two summons of mine got stuck behind a boss fog wall and eventually left/got smashed through it, I was only doing a fraction of what I normally did on the boss's health bar.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

QuarkJets posted:

Charcoal Pine Resin is +85 fire damage, doesn't require an attunement slot, and doesn't cost FP to use. If you're somehow not able to afford resins (how???) then it can be a good deal I guess, or maybe if you're running out of resin uses while you run around?

To be fair a good chunk of that damage is going to be soaked up by flat damage reduction just like flame arc. Flame arc is supposed to add 86% of your spell buff so even with an unupgraded pyro hand and minimum stats it would be +86 damage before DR, making it slightly better than a resin. But I stand by my position that it's not worth the stat investment.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Odobenidae posted:

I don't think so. Earlier today two summons of mine got stuck behind a boss fog wall and eventually left/got smashed through it, I was only doing a fraction of what I normally did on the boss's health bar.

Wonderful, turns out what I needed to beat the Dancer was for her to have extra health and no help.

E: Also that basin & statue mechanism was really silly when it just releases a ladder down for you.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

If only you could climb those little gates on those stairs

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

It's all very symbolic i'm sure.

Over in the BF's run he's burning out fast on Pontiff's fight. He's still doing well since he switched to bleed weapons instead though.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.
For all the criticism From gets for their patch notes, it could be worse. The last three patches for DOOM have been just one line: 'Various bug fixes'.

Is NG+ just more health for all enemies or do the deal more damage too?

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
The issues in Doom are really minor while Dark souls 3 is broken as gently caress and it's just the fact that the game is still really good that has allowed us to enjoy it anyway. Wish they could patch the middle of the game to make it interesting.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

MZ posted:

For all the criticism From gets for their patch notes, it could be worse. The last three patches for DOOM have been just one line: 'Various bug fixes'.

Is NG+ just more health for all enemies or do the deal more damage too?

A small damage increase I think, but compared to DS2 for example the NG+ is very tame and not much of a challenge after the late game areas.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
So I was unaware until last night that there was any sort of item dupe glitch for the PS4. Started a new character as a SL50 Catacombs invader. I glitched the Dancer, and was down summonbro'ng for Vordt to pick up a few extra embers before I leveled up. So keep in mind I am maybe SL15-ish with an unupgraded weapon.

I get summoned, and a guy is standing there in Artorias' armor, with Sword Master and the other NPC summon (Lion Knight somebody?). He's not gesturing hello or anything but I see him twitching a bit, then he moves and there's an item on the ground. So I pick it up, and it's some late-game weapon (I forget which). I bow to say thank you, and he starts rapidly dropping more stuff - all late-game or boss soul weapons - maybe 40 in total. Not all late-game gear, but most of it. Then he drops 99 Embers, 99 Souls of a Great Champion, 99 Souls of a Champion, and 99 Souls of a Venerable Old Hand.

So he's all :homebrew: while I'm all :stonklol:

So we finally go into the boss fight, and I'm wondering if I'm on NG++++++++++++++++++++++ or something, but no - a normal NG Vordt fight happens, and the host wasn't doing an unusual amount of damage either.

I tried messaging him via Recently Met players, but I got the wrong guy. I went to bed and looked up to see if there is an item dupe glitch out in the wild. Seems there was one for Boss Souls only, but reports are fuzzy on whether or not it's been patched out. Only other thing I can think of is a save file edit of some sort.

Anyone seen anything similar? Am I gonna be banned? :ohdear:

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

VodeAndreas posted:

A small damage increase I think, but compared to DS2 for example the NG+ is very tame and not much of a challenge after the late game areas.

I thought this until I reached Dragonslayer Armor on NG++. More like Dragonslayer SPONGE. His health bar starts moving at a snail's pace. That's not a hard fight but it became an endurance battle on NG++. NG+ wasn't too bad.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

HaB posted:

So I was unaware until last night that there was any sort of item dupe glitch for the PS4. Started a new character as a SL50 Catacombs invader. I glitched the Dancer, and was down summonbro'ng for Vordt to pick up a few extra embers before I leveled up. So keep in mind I am maybe SL15-ish with an unupgraded weapon.

I get summoned, and a guy is standing there in Artorias' armor, with Sword Master and the other NPC summon (Lion Knight somebody?). He's not gesturing hello or anything but I see him twitching a bit, then he moves and there's an item on the ground. So I pick it up, and it's some late-game weapon (I forget which). I bow to say thank you, and he starts rapidly dropping more stuff - all late-game or boss soul weapons - maybe 40 in total. Not all late-game gear, but most of it. Then he drops 99 Embers, 99 Souls of a Great Champion, 99 Souls of a Champion, and 99 Souls of a Venerable Old Hand.

So he's all :homebrew: while I'm all :stonklol:

So we finally go into the boss fight, and I'm wondering if I'm on NG++++++++++++++++++++++ or something, but no - a normal NG Vordt fight happens, and the host wasn't doing an unusual amount of damage either.

I tried messaging him via Recently Met players, but I got the wrong guy. I went to bed and looked up to see if there is an item dupe glitch out in the wild. Seems there was one for Boss Souls only, but reports are fuzzy on whether or not it's been patched out. Only other thing I can think of is a save file edit of some sort.

Anyone seen anything similar? Am I gonna be banned? :ohdear:

There is a soul dupe for both PS4 and PC right now that requires backing up your save file and another person to summon. So it's possible a friend of his who was on NG+ (those souls only appear on New Game Plus) did the dupe with him. That doesn't explain the boss soul weapons/late game weapons though.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Golden Goat posted:

Wonderful, turns out what I needed to beat the Dancer was for her to have extra health and no help.

E: Also that basin & statue mechanism was really silly when it just releases a ladder down for you.

People harp about dark souls 2 all the time for that elevator but this was incredibly silly and I'm not sure why it doesn't have a similar reputation. You have to do all this to...lower a ladder?

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Digirat posted:

People harp about dark souls 2 all the time for that elevator but this was incredibly silly and I'm not sure why it doesn't have a similar reputation. You have to do all this to...lower a ladder?

In ds2 you have to travel all over the place and kill the 4 big bosses because you can't crawl over a small pile of rocks

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
I figured the architect was a peculiarfella, and just like in real life the upper class didn't want to mix with the lower class and keep them away like that.

I cannot figure out the DS2 elevator or how to make sense of it even in a fantasy world. Or many other things.

At least DS2 doesn't get my armoured rear end perma-stunlocked by tiny weak enemies.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Was gonna run Smouldering Lake for the first time tonight but my Brother-in-Law pinged me as soon as I was online to play FIFA.

I chose... poorly.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Replaying BB with my friend, I still can't beat Father G without a phantom. Neither could my friend, and he blew enough blood vials that we gave up and summoned because gently caress grinding for vials. I'm so glad estus is what it is in the rest of the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

RBA Starblade posted:

Replaying BB with my friend, I still can't beat Father G without a phantom. Neither could my friend, and he blew enough blood vials that we gave up and summoned because gently caress grinding for vials. I'm so glad estus is what it is in the rest of the series.

Yes, but you have already illustrated that you are playing an entirely different game from the Bloodborne the rest of us know and love.