Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Waffleman_ posted:

Hmmm yes, this channel will surely last a long time and is a good long-term use of my money.

Well, they wouldn't disagree with you there

quote:

Risks and challenges

Things that could go wrong in this project:
Stolen unicycles (this has happened before)
Not enough danks skills
Bad ideas (like starting a kickstarter)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

:wtc:

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Yes, a set of signs that say "do not disturb" and "please talk to me I'm lonely" are sure inventive.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

Is this Busco Quadnery Guy's new computing method or something?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

His backers don't seem so impressed either:

:capitalism:

Edit: ah ha ha ha ha ha, I did a google search and found this old Reddit discussion:

loving hell, that's lovely as hell but also kind of brilliant. :v:

The Russian Paypal complaint shows a fundamental misunderstanding of how Kickstarter works. You can't scam like that because the person running the Kickstarter doesn't get any of that info, they just get the money from Amazon.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Note that this is the second time they're tried to Kickstart this gaming cafe, the first time was cancelled after it became obvious that they weren't going to raise the $200,000 they were aiming for. They reposted the exact same project just with a lower $45,000 goal even though they didn't even get a tenth of that the first time.

Also the project creator's KS bio is just his alleged RPG stats:

quote:

Bard of Brewing

Str - 9
Dex - 11
Con - 12
Int - 12
Wis - 14
Cha - 16

Yeahhhhh I'm not so sure your Int and Wis scores are anywhere near that high, buddy.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Are those out of 100

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJfog8xjwZ8

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
Even Str 9 is way overestimating himself. Twig arms is maybe Str 6.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
No, see, those dashes are actually minus signs.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

With 16 points for charisma he shouldn't have trouble with making a successful KS.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
16 points of charisma he should be a drat movie star.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Patent suit from Fogo de Chão, incoming.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

laserghost posted:

With 16 points for charisma he shouldn't have trouble with making a successful KS.

Critical miss on a persuasion check.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Yeahhhhh I'm not so sure your Int and Wis scores are anywhere near that high, buddy.

Above average CHA is even more unbelievable. He listed his CHA above INT or WIS.

Germstore posted:

16 points of charisma he should be a drat movie star.

EFB

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

quote:

Even with a bare minimum donation goal achieved, we still offer:
(...)
Safe environment with anti-harassment policies.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Depending on where that guy lives a barcade would probably be a smarter idea.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I love that he thinks that he can run a bar with a predominantly nerd clientele but it'll also be a safe space where people will abide by the established communication protocols and respect one another. Try to imagine a bunch of Tumblrina SJWs and a bunch of neckbearded fedora-wearing PUAs inhabiting the same space .... and they've all been drinking.

If nerds had functional social skills they wouldn't need a special nerd bar.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I'm the community treasure chest for cosplayers

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

unpacked robinhood posted:

I'm the community treasure chest for cosplayers

Empty except for a spool of black thread and a packing peanut, forty-five seconds after the first foam girl visits?

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

I love that he thinks that he can run a bar with a predominantly nerd clientele but it'll also be a safe space where people will abide by the established communication protocols and respect one another. Try to imagine a bunch of Tumblrina SJWs and a bunch of neckbearded fedora-wearing PUAs inhabiting the same space .... and they've all been drinking.

If nerds had functional social skills they wouldn't need a special nerd bar.

I found that the local (now closed because it was run by idiots) barcade just ended up attracting normal people, with a handful of nerds huddled in the corner.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Germstore posted:

I wish he'd make his funding goals so he could experience the heartbreak of eight nerds playing magic for four hours and buying one coffee, leaving and going to mcdonalds, and then coming back for another four hours and maybe buying a second coffee.

A business whose entire clientelle are the unwashed community college students clogging up the manga section of Books-A-Million for hours at a time.

Lodin posted:

Here's a Fable cardgame made by some ex-Lionhead dudes. Considering Microsoft still owns the license and the game is only coming to PC and Bone it's pretty obvious that MS is skulking somewhere in the shadows. Pretty loving shady but then again Sony probably did the exact same thing with Amplitude.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/flamingfowl/fable-fortune-a-fable-ccg-with-co-op-pvp-and-quest

If you want to cite Sony it's hard to be top them having enough confidence in Shenmue 3 to give the Kickstarter time on their E3 presentation but still making the fans bankroll development. Then again it raised over $6 million without any actual gameplay footage or concrete info about the story and gameplay so it obviously worked.

Or

OR

loving OR

You could just use two colored Solo cups like every school library in America already does.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I am unfamiliar with these cups. Then again, I went to school in the 20th Century. :corsair:

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I am unfamiliar with these cups. Then again, I went to school in the 20th Century. :corsair:

remember getting arm cramps from having your arm raised?

now you put a cup on your desk and sit quietly until a teacher addresses it

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Mortimer posted:

remember getting arm cramps from having your arm raised?

now you put a cup on your desk and sit quietly until a teacher addresses it

Is it an actual thing now ? Is there a rotating knob to display my pronouns ?
How about don't keep your arm raised more than 10 secs ?

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I never thought that the idea of being quiet in a library would be a windmill that GBS would tilt at in their unending war against everyone younger and happier than they are but here were are.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Why do you have a teacher in your library, teachers are for the classroom

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Kids these days should just be grateful to have libraries. Back in my day the whole school had one book, and it was written on parchment and stored in the dungeon.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

TetsuoTW posted:

Kids these days should just be grateful to have libraries. Back in my day the whole school had one book, and it was written on parchment and stored in the dungeon.

Yeah, but that book had like spells or some other badass poo poo written on it.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

TetsuoTW posted:

And that book was the bible.

unpacked robinhood posted:

How about don't keep your arm raised more than 10 secs ?

Just start yelling at the teacher if they haven't called on you in that time.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Hey, ever feel like there just aren't enough different set designs for chess? Well time to fix that with these GAMELUMI BOY Chess Piece Sets!

Because I know I'd rather play chess with expensive flat tokens than the usual affordable pieces that are easy to move around.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

it's only $150 :psyduck:

these things are going to sell like hotcakes

probably to people who don't know how to play chess

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

it's only $150 :psyduck:

these things are going to sell like hotcakes

probably to people who don't know how to play chess

That's the earlybird, it's actually 250.

Magypsy
Apr 2, 2010

People call me Pine! (Pine!)
Eastern Venus Space Police.
If there's slime, (There's slime!)
Involved in a crime, (Bad crime!)
We'll clean them up on the beat! (The beat!)
I can imagine toppling over like 6 of the pieces near you whenever you try to move one because they're so thin.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I can't imagine Nintendo being too happy with that design.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

"Perfect for chess collectors".

Ah, the tested by time method of making a stupid item look more appealing by invoking the ethereal "collector's value" (which means it's worth only as much as someone is willing to pay).

Fat Pony
Oct 7, 2005

THAT'S GOOD ENOUGH
I was hoping that Requiem wouldn't make this thread. I run in one of the same circles as the creator and tried gently asking him to list what exactly he needed the money for, since opening a coffee shop can be ludicrously expensive. The initial 200k goal was actually reasonable for a basic coffee shop (without "production values" and retail space and a board game library etc etc etc). I said that a breakdown of a) what they were going to spend the money on and b) how it would meet their needs to make sure that they had enough to open would help inspire folks to donate. I never got an answer other than what's in the FAQ which is "We have an accountant" and "it will happen because we're passionate about it. " :smith: The only details are in the pretty renders.

Any time a crowdfunding/money raising project uses "We're PASSIONATE!" as a selling point I tap out. Passion don't pay your bills, son. Passion can also blind you to details like practicality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I laughed at how he's talking to people who did set design for Game of Thrones and how they'd love to help design the shop, if he can get the money. Like no poo poo they'll do stuff if you actually pay them to.