Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aug 4, 2010

netcode in this game sucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX
achewood is so bad and every time it's posted it's a really really bad long and wordy one which is weird because you'd think the person posting a comic would at least pick and choose a funny one but oh he can't because it's achewood

wit
Jul 26, 2011
Don't think I'll get this game but I hope other people do because the cutscene or promos on youtube are loving gorgeous.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
I watched a couple of streams of it to get some idea. It basically looks EXACTLY like a spammier TF2, except with Call of Duty 4 maps? There's no reason that wouldn't do really well, and giving everyone an ubercharge that you don't have to do anything to charge, means that even drooling idiots feel like they're 'progressing' or making a difference, and even doing well. Its your typical Blizzard "poo poo game that feels rewarding to play even if you don't earn any rewards".

What I DID see though, was there was a guy playing the cowboy (is he called Macready? Like the dude from the thing?) and actually, since you can get headshots with him, if you're good at FPS's, you can actually just play him and utterly utterly dominate. Until someone presses their Ultimate button, and you die no matter what. But until then, skill matters!

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
Most ults are easily dodgeable because it plays a sound a second or two before the ult actually happens. They are more about area denial. I guess what I'm saying is git gud, m8.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Germstore posted:

Most ults are easily dodgeable because it plays a sound a second or two before the ult actually happens. They are more about area denial. I guess what I'm saying is git gud, m8.

I mean, I haven't played the game, I was watching a korean dude play who was insanely good, to the point you'd assume he was aimbotting, but he'd walk around a corner and there'd be an exploding DVA or a Reaper doing his 'die die die' thing and while he'd react pretty quickly, sometimes its just unavoidable. And thats good, variance is actually good, because it keeps things exciting. But it does mean that you'll have absolute loving idiots who can't play for poo poo, that just cant make reasoned decisions, who confound you with idiocy at every turn, claiming that they're really good and that you're bad, because one time they pressed the win button and it worked really well.

I dunno if I can be bothered with that tbh.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

I don't know about Reaper, but D.Va's ult is insanely easy to dodge because it beeps for several seconds, which is good because her ult charges super fast.

vug
Jan 23, 2015

by Cowcaster
they said they wanted to make a non elitist shoot 'em up. like how in an mmo you can have characters on the team that just spam a heal spell the whole time or whatever. I suppose the immediate analogue in a team arena game is not being able to shoot for poo poo

seems like with that tank guy that casts the big shield you could serve an important role in the team just by standing in a particular spot and pressing the button, that sort of thing

vug fucked around with this message at 16:33 on May 31, 2016

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

!Klams posted:

I mean, I haven't played the game, I was watching a korean dude play who was insanely good, to the point you'd assume he was aimbotting, but he'd walk around a corner and there'd be an exploding DVA or a Reaper doing his 'die die die' thing and while he'd react pretty quickly, sometimes its just unavoidable. And thats good, variance is actually good, because it keeps things exciting. But it does mean that you'll have absolute loving idiots who can't play for poo poo, that just cant make reasoned decisions, who confound you with idiocy at every turn, claiming that they're really good and that you're bad, because one time they pressed the win button and it worked really well.

Welcome to online first person shooters!

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

wit posted:

Don't think I'll get this game but I hope other people do because the cutscene or promos on youtube are loving gorgeous.

Seconding this, I doubt I'll buy the game but the cinematic promos on YouTube are a hoot.

I also bought the game's soundtrack on iTunes based solely on the music in the promos, and was not disappointed.

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Xenomrph posted:

Seconding this, I doubt I'll buy the game but the cinematic promos on YouTube are a hoot.

I also bought the game's soundtrack on iTunes based solely on the music in the promos, and was not disappointed.

Wow, this post is like a whole other level of pathetic.

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

empty quote

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Just like your posting

rabble rabble
Mar 24, 2015

Nap Ghost
guys everyone knows the only way to make a game good is to make it so most people don't have fun playing it, idiots

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

!Klams posted:

What I DID see though, was there was a guy playing the cowboy (is he called Macready? Like the dude from the thing?)
McCree, like this guy

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

!Klams posted:

if it helps the way to get those ults are to be good at the game, so if they're bad they're not going to get those ults often

also some dudes have funny counters, like the guy who parries a shot can parry soldier 76's aimbot ult back at him if they position well

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

His default skin is basically the man with no name. I'd love if they made a Dirty Harry variant skin but it would change the silhouette too much so they'll never do it.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

The soundtracks of games have got increasingly awesome. Half of my playlist is hotline miami and the artists. Game music got good, gramps.

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

wit posted:

The soundtracks of games have got increasingly awesome. Half of my playlist is hotline miami and the artists. Game music got good, gramps.

hahahaha loser

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

maybe you haven't heard of a little track called Baba Yetu :smug:

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
lol at playlist full of videogame music but hotline miami's OST is legit

game music has gotten better but thats less to do with games getting better and more the rear end dropping out of the value of music, can pay a p. good amateur musician a ham sandwich and get a full soundtrack for your project

vug
Jan 23, 2015

by Cowcaster

wit posted:

whether or not you reckon the music is good is irrelevant, duhhh

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

Germstore posted:

maybe you haven't heard of a little track called Baba Yetu :smug:

Kehveli
Apr 1, 2009

Push It Like You Push Your Girlfriend

vug posted:

they said they wanted to make a non elitist shoot 'em up. like how in an mmo you can have characters on the team that just spam a heal spell the whole time or whatever. I suppose the immediate analogue in a team arena game is not being able to shoot for poo poo

seems like with that tank guy that casts the big shield you could serve an important role in the team just by standing in a particular spot and pressing the button, that sort of thing

well yes but wouldn't you rather be doing this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQtgCMG6Eug

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

Kehveli posted:

well yes but wouldn't you rather be doing this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQtgCMG6Eug

cool looks like a lovely messier version of tf2 I am all about that

right as soon as im done listening to video game music and acting like im cool because of it lmao

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I have a feeling that the only real reason people compare overwatch to tf2 is the shading engine or whatever, the graphics have a sort of similar style. Gameplay wise it's like saying marvel vs capcom is a rip off of mortal kombat or some poo poo

vug
Jan 23, 2015

by Cowcaster
pub servers tf2 again tonight. lost will to live
its horrible

how are the pubbies in overwatch? i'll take anything above completely loving awful

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
i am gonna run my own 24/7 2fort server anyone want to play

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

vug posted:

pub servers tf2 again tonight. lost will to live
its horrible

how are the pubbies in overwatch? i'll take anything above completely loving awful

runs the gamut from poo poo to fantastic, but since there's a limit of 6 people per team your own ability to contribute to success is much higher than in like 16v16

I have definitely been in situations where one sniper was the reason the other team was winning

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.

www posted:

netcode in this game sucks

it's actually really good.

With latency, there's always gonna be some level of bullshit where the game state doesn't perfectly reflect what you see. But Overwatch goes with "favor the shooter," so if you click the right pixel on your screen, you 100% get a hit. That's good, that's the most fair option, even if it means sometimes you see yourself dodging but get hit instead.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

just noticed all of the filenames of the overwatch gang tags are hosed up

i can only imagine what sort of wacky hijinks ensued

vug
Jan 23, 2015

by Cowcaster
i've got the game now. i like reaper but i tihnk overall my favourite dude is lucio so far. It plays like how i like to go healer in MMOs (e.g. a nightblade healer/dps hybrid in elder scrolls online)

Aug 4, 2010

Zorodius posted:

it's actually really good.

With latency, there's always gonna be some level of bullshit where the game state doesn't perfectly reflect what you see. But Overwatch goes with "favor the shooter," so if you click the right pixel on your screen, you 100% get a hit. That's good, that's the most fair option, even if it means sometimes you see yourself dodging but get hit instead.

actually no its bad

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I've been doing really, really well as Mercy. Game rocks.

vug
Jan 23, 2015

by Cowcaster
Overwatch: Good, or bad?

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
Turns out it's good

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Tf2 has been an unplayable mess ever since they came out with custom load outs.

Harrower
Nov 30, 2002
Much like ranch dressing is water for fat people, Overwatch is garbage for retards.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

vug posted:

Overwatch: Good, or bad?

Sorry op but it turns out it is bad, so bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Sorry op but it turns out it is bad, so bad

in fact it is good

• Locked thread