Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Linedance posted:

Kamikaze bubble helmet, gotta be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
Miffed that the '72 is a hipster bike now.
I have yet to really go deep with buying frivolous parts for my bike - where can I find some footpegs for my '48 that will throw up sparks when they connect with pavement? In the interest of visibility. Because I'm doing it basically every in-town turn these days.

Revvik fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jun 1, 2016

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches
I'm heading to Alaska in like 40 hours and this morning another loving spark plug backed itself out. Not sure if there's something going on or if I just didn't snug them down last time I was in there. Made sure they were all tight, did an oil change and packing is almost entirely done. :kingsley: slight panic setting in.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Skier posted:

I'm heading to Alaska in like 40 hours and this morning another loving spark plug backed itself out. Not sure if there's something going on or if I just didn't snug them down last time I was in there. Made sure they were all tight, did an oil change and packing is almost entirely done. :kingsley: slight panic setting in.

Be sure to bring your spark plug socket.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
I was doing about 85mph on the highway yesterday and got passed like I was sitting still by something. Didn't get a great look at it but from what I could gather it was a newish Japanese naked. All I could catch of it was: graphite grey paint job, gold forks, no obvious graphics on bodywork, tall & flat bars, and a low-slung exhaust. Any ideas?

Edit: I should note it wasn't either of the newer FZ/MT's

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Skier posted:

I'm riding a Buell up. Panic is my normal state.

Should I have thought about new spark plug wires? Probably.

Also, it's probably good we're leaving this week and not last... read on ADVRider:

quote:

"Day 28...Sunwapta Rocky Mountain Lodge to Prince George
Had ANOTHER completely soggy day today. Wasn't bad when we left the lodge this morning but the last 200 kms to Prince George sucked. Torrential rain and cold. Got to my host's house in Prince George around 1700 and got to drying stuff out. While our jackets were drying next to the wood stove we had a great dinner at Boston Pizza in town. Not much to report."

That chance of precip next week though... oh yes.

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jun 1, 2016

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Deeters posted:

Isn't turning everything into a scrambler the next thing? I think your time is limited.

Yeah but you start with street versions of bikes and turn them INTO scramblers.

I'm waiting for the opposite to become the cool thing to do.
That or TALL bikes with tiny wheels and big handlebars.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

Springfield Fatts posted:

I was doing about 85mph on the highway yesterday and got passed like I was sitting still by something. Didn't get a great look at it but from what I could gather it was a newish Japanese naked. All I could catch of it was: graphite grey paint job, gold forks, no obvious graphics on bodywork, tall & flat bars, and a low-slung exhaust. Any ideas?

That sounds sort of like my SV1000, but I don't have gold forks on it. Was it an SV1000?

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Possible. Didn't have twin pipes but it was an aftermarket one so he might of just done a two-to-one setup. Can the SV take GSX-R shocks? Owner might have just swapped them.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Yeah but you start with street versions of bikes and turn them INTO scramblers.

I'm waiting for the opposite to become the cool thing to do.
That or TALL bikes with tiny wheels and big handlebars.

I wish I could find that picture of a full-size dirt bike with 50cc wheels slapped on it now.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Like a 1290 Supermoto? :v:

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches

clutchpuck posted:

I'm riding a Buell up. Panic is my normal state.

Should I have thought about new spark plug wires? Probably.

Also, it's probably good we're leaving this week and not last... read on ADVRider:

That chance of precip next week though... oh yes.

Yeah most of the trips I take to Alaska involve me being cold and wet for a vast majority of it.

Looking forward to crossing paths with you up there!

Set up for two-up dry camping and food for a week or two. Wifeunit is a tetris pro.

But I'll have extra room after she flies back home out of Anchorage. Tent on passenger seat instead of being separated into poles+stakes, compression sack for rain cover, compression sack for tent shell.

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3

That sounds a poo poo ton like a newer Kawi Z1000. Google and you should get a ton of gray with gold forks.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Skier posted:

Yeah most of the trips I take to Alaska involve me being cold and wet for a vast majority of it.

Looking forward to crossing paths with you up there!

Set up for two-up dry camping and food for a week or two. Wifeunit is a tetris pro.

But I'll have extra room after she flies back home out of Anchorage. Tent on passenger seat instead of being separated into poles+stakes, compression sack for rain cover, compression sack for tent shell.

Crazy, one of our guys' wife is flying out of Anchorage too.

I'm like a kid the night before Disney Land right now.

We'll be at Liard hot springs on Monday.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Possible. Didn't have twin pipes but it was an aftermarket one so he might of just done a two-to-one setup. Can the SV take GSX-R shocks? Owner might have just swapped them.

?

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Just heard my ninja 300s auxiliary fan turn on for the first time. Hot day.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

PaintVagrant posted:

Just heard my ninja 300s auxiliary fan turn on for the first time. Hot day.

Ironic, I just replaced the thermostat on my 500 because the drat thing takes forever to warm up and seems overcooled while riding. My fan has kicked on a lot on hotter days at stoplights though.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug

I think we have a winner.

predictive
Jan 11, 2006

For awesome, press 1.
A local dealer here sells Husqvarna and Hyosung (and Victory, but they don't have any Victory bikes on the floor). I was pretty surprised they can make a living off those brands; especially since one's a more expensive KTM, and the other I always assumed made low-quality Japanese knockoffs. Maybe Hyosung is better than I thought?

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

predictive posted:

Maybe Hyosung is better than I thought?

No.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
There are just lots of people who are ignorant enough to buy them. Think KIA.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Made it from Chilliwack, BC to Prince George.

My VSS quit on me about 60 miles out of PG, so no speedometer and I got some free uncounted miles. But the fan doesn't work without knowing the bike is moving, so it got hot and weeped some oil through the pushrod housing seals.

Turned it off and back on and the speedo worked fine again.

I blame the poo poo house EBR race ecm I'm running. The thing is a little glitchy.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

clutchpuck posted:

Made it from Chilliwack, BC to Prince George.

My VSS quit on me about 60 miles out of PG, so no speedometer and I got some free uncounted miles. But the fan doesn't work without knowing the bike is moving, so it got hot and weeped some oil through the pushrod housing seals.

Turned it off and back on and the speedo worked fine again.

I blame the poo poo house EBR race ecm I'm running. The thing is a little glitchy.

You know, the Chiche-custom tune could have really saved you some trouble there.

Chichevache posted:

Got the horn and the fan backward, so now when I press the button the fan comes on. :pseudo:

Bring me a six-pack of ginger beer and I'll teach you a thing or two:haw: (help me).

Good to see you're making headway. Any cool pictures yet?

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Adventures in laser printable water proof stickers part 1.

side view

Lessons learned:
- the sticker is fragile as all hell when removed from the backing paper.
- big stickers is hard to get right on a curved helmet, use smaller ones.
- Durability when dried? who knows.

I'll just use my helmet normally and see how durable it is when it dries.
Next round will be with smaller stickers and clear plasti dip for sealment

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I've had some stickers I go off etsy on my helmet for almost three years now, and they're still solid. If the material is roughly the same, those should last you. Looks good.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

There's gonna be an adventure bike show on NatGeo about the Paris-Dakar rally and probably other things, two people on new Africa Twins. Could be interesting.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

People split so freaking fast on the 405. I feel like a noob

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

A MIRACLE posted:

People split so freaking fast on the 405. I feel like a noob

I'm not a noob and I'm still really conservative about splitting. Don't think you need to speed it up if you're not comfortable, you're probably fine.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I've been riding a little while and I'm still one of the slowest splitters out there. I get passed every day and about once every 2 weeks do I pass someone. People split way, way too fast.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Isn't the safe limit from that Berkeley study 10 to 15 mph above the speed of traffic?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Deeters posted:

Isn't the safe limit from that Berkeley study 10 to 15 mph above the speed of traffic?

That sounds about right - any faster than that and you're absolutely reliant on other drivers not to be fuckwits and that's never a comfortable position.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Well I'm about to split through malibu to get back to Ventura from Santa Monica this afternoon. They squeeze three lanes going northbound which means I'm guaranteed to bump mirrors with an F250. wish me luck

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Deeters posted:

15mph delta to 50mph. I saw a plated CRF this morning lane splitting at 90mph. thats uh.. yeah too much for 6 loving 30 am when most people are still drooling on their shirts.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Splitting at 20 when traffic is stopped saves a ton of time; splitting at 90 when traffic is doing 60* is pointless because it's only a 50% boost and only while you're going exactly that fast. You'd have to be doing it continuously for 10 minutes to save even as little as 5 minutes on your commute, and what's the point in that?

This applies to clear roads too, blitzing it for short sections adds up to only a few seconds gained, if you want to significantly shorten any given journey time you'd have to speed the whole way and even then it's pointless on any trip shorter than half an hour.

*obviously splitting at 90 when traffic is stopped would save you a massive amount of time. Years, in fact, because you'll be dead soon.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
Splitting at 90 is the only way I can feel anymore :emo:

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Chichevache posted:

Splitting at 90 is the only way I can feel anymore :emo:

To be fair, I split at 90 all the time. Maybe because people are doing at least 80 and it feels safe if I do it one pair at a time.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

"safe"

but the trick to riding in traffic is to just turn off the part of your brain that thinks about poo poo like that I guess

I split the 101 at 80 for about 20 miles through more sparse traffic today. 405 northbound was amazing to view, so many cars. I love socal for that actually, I enjoy marveling at traffic engineering. I also like to pretend I'm Dredd from the movie Dredd

edit holy poo poo just made this connection about the Honda NM-4

A MIRACLE fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Jun 9, 2016

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

A MIRACLE posted:

"safe"

but the trick to riding in traffic is to just turn off the part of your brain that thinks about poo poo like that I guess

I split the 101 at 80 for about 20 miles through more sparse traffic today. 405 northbound was amazing to view, so many cars. I love socal for that actually, I enjoy marveling at traffic engineering. I also like to pretend I'm Dredd from the movie Dredd

edit holy poo poo just made this connection about the Honda NM-4

What bike is dredd's bike in reality? Looks like a CBR600 or GSR750 or something with a busabro swingarm.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

A MIRACLE posted:

"safe"

The trick is to be constantly terrified of what will happen if a truck sucks me up into the wheel well, but even more terrified that someone will honk at you for riding slow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Slavvy posted:

What bike is dredd's bike in reality? Looks like a CBR600 or GSR750 or something with a busabro swingarm.

It's a Suzuki GSX750, and if you were on the ball and had stacks of cash you could have bought one.

In addition to the stretched swingarm it sounds like they cut up and lengthened the frame in front too, so god knows what it's like to ride.

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jun 9, 2016