Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

beatlegs posted:

Actually Walsh will be forgotten in the trash heap of history while Maru will be long-remembered as a pop culture icon. Imagine that, being worth less than a cat.

Well cats bring more value and substance to the internet than Matt Walsh, so...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Hi reactionaries aren't people and beating them should be a national sport god bless

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
Obviously he's acting under duress.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDnvXAkMnx8

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
CC Johnson, Walsh, Crowder, they're all weak. If they really cared, they'd be out there like Dean.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

This all could have been avoided if that guy had been wearing a helmet.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Moktaro posted:

Republicans are the party of the Bible and fiscal responsibility.

Which is why they put you in a trillion-dollar plane that's buggy as poo poo and say "Thou shalt kill."

This is some inaccurate bullshit right here

it was 1.5 trillion

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Also Walsh is just salty that American Pharoah is exponentially more valuable than him by the only metric that really matters. :v:

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

swampland posted:

I do not subscribe to the "They're just words" mindset. Screaming at potential rape victims they deserved it and should be mocked for it is a form of assault in itself in my view. I feel bad that this guy got to the point of becoming so loving awful but I couldn't care less he got hit in the head with a baseball bat by someone who was probably a rape victim who had been screamed at by this guy regularly.

'Fighting words' is a real legal term recognized by the court of law and isn't protected by the 1st amendment.
https://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/fighting_words

It's up to the judge to decide if this guy actually was 'asking for it'

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Necc0 posted:

'Fighting words' is a real legal term recognized by the court of law and isn't protected by the 1st amendment.

It's incredibly unlikely to work as a defense. The court has been narrowing to definition of fighting words ever since they were established.

Cohen v. California alone makes it a terrible defense without any personally abusive language.

And that was against the state. There is no way the court is going to let a regular person go around bashing skulls in, even if they belong to assholes.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
Yeah that was more in response to the guy I quoted. If someone is running up to people and yelling at them that they deserved to be raped they're gonna get beat up. Don't know how aggressive this guy was though

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

Necc0 posted:

"Fighting Words" have- to my (limited) knowledge been very narowlly defined.

quote:

The "fighting words" doctrine comes from the Supreme Court's decision in Chaplinsky v. New Hampshire in 1942. Fans of censorship like to quote the broader language of the opinion:

"There are certain well defined and narrowly limited classes of speech, the prevention and punishment of which have never been thought to raise any Constitutional problem. These include the lewd and obscene, the profane, the libelous, and the insulting or "fighting" words — those which, by their very utterance, inflict injury or tend to incite an immediate breach of the peace."

But censors generally don't quote the later language of the opinion narrowing the First Amendment exception:

"It is a statute narrowly drawn and limited to define and punish specific conduct lying within the domain of state power, the use in a public place of words likely to cause a breach of the peace. . . . A statute punishing verbal acts, carefully drawn so as not unduly to impair liberty of expression, is not too vague for a criminal law. . . . .

Nor can we say that the application of the statute to the facts disclosed by the record substantially or unreasonably impinges upon the privilege of free speech. Argument is unnecessary to demonstrate that the appellations "damned racketeer" and "damned Fascist" are epithets likely to provoke the average person to retaliation, and thereby cause a breach of the peace."

This is the heart of the "fighting words" doctrine — a prohibition on face-to-face insults likely to cause a brawl. In that sense, it's entirely consistent with the Supreme Court's subsequent clear and present danger doctrine, in which advocacy can only be punished when it is "directed to inciting or producing imminent lawless action and is likely to incite or produce such action."

People who cite the "fighting words" doctrine never tell you how it has been treated in the courts for the last half-century. The Supreme Court has refused every opportunity to rely upon it to uphold censorship, and in fact has consistently narrowed it. It was already narrowed by 1970 in Cohen v. California, when the Court refused to use it to justify punishment of a man who wore a jacket bearing the words "gently caress the Draft." The Court made it clear that the "fighting words" doctrine was narrowed to direct confrontations likely to provoke violence:

"This Court has also held that the States are free to ban the simple use, without a demonstration of additional justifying circumstances, of so-called "fighting words," those personally abusive epithets which, when addressed to the ordinary citizen, are, as a matter of common knowledge, inherently likely to provoke violent reaction. Chaplinsky v. New Hampshire, 315 U. S. 568 (1942). While the four-letter word displayed by Cohen in relation to the draft is not uncommonly employed in a personally provocative fashion, in this instance it was clearly not "directed to the person of the hearer." Cantwell v. Connecticut, 310 U. S. 296, 310 U. S. 309 (1940). No individual actually or likely to be present could reasonably have regarded the words on appellant's jacket as a direct personal insult. Nor do we have here an instance of the exercise of the State's police power to prevent a speaker from intentionally provoking a given group to hostile reaction. Cf. Feiner v. New York, 340 U. S. 315 (1951); Termniello v. Chicago, 337 U. S. 1 (1949). There is, as noted above, no showing that anyone who saw Cohen was, in fact, violently aroused, or that appellant intended such a result. "

Later, in Texas v. Johnson, the Supreme Court refused to use the "fighting words" doctrine to justify a ban on flag burning:

"Nor does Johnson's expressive conduct fall within that small class of "fighting words" that are "likely to provoke the average person to retaliation, and thereby cause a breach of the peace." Chaplinsky v. New Hampshire, 315 U.S. 568, 574 (1942). No reasonable onlooker would have regarded Johnson's generalized expression of dissatisfaction with the policies of the Federal Government as a direct personal insult or an invitation to exchange fisticuffs."

https://popehat.com/2014/02/03/professor-than-rosenbaum-deceptively-carries-on-the-tradition-of-censorship-cheerleading/ (A biased source but generally good on legality and free speech matters)

I'm going to imagine just off the top of my head but I'm guessing that that any invocation of "fighting words" is going to determine if Dean's words were directed at Brubaker as a individual.

Nckdictator fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Jun 1, 2016

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Sir Tonk posted:

edit, found the problem

Let's do the interview from inside our blanket fort!
...Dad strikes me as a man who has seen too much. :stare:

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Goatman Sacks posted:

Hi reactionaries aren't people and beating them should be a national sport god bless

But if you do, what's the justification for not beating them to death? Just giving the dude one solid hit--sure, it might make you feel like you've accomplished something with your day, but that's a sketchy justification for violence.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Is it assault to just jump the guy and start kissing him? Man or woman, I expect that would mess him up way worse than any kind of violence. Maybe throw in a little ball massage. God knows universities don't take sexual assault cases seriously.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
People advocate for non violence by I'm not sure why we should follow that path. Sure, in some colonial situations it lets you get the moral high ground (like India) but violence seems to work just as well in those situations (America, Vietnam, China).

In a civilized society I'm for universal healthcare and against guns. That way if you talk poo poo and get hit you are likely to survive with an important lesson learned.

Racist police complicate this but only insofar as you accept the legitimacy of the police. I don't.

Its no different from ancient Sparta or any other slave society you could name. The warrior class claims a false legitimacy. You have nothing to lose but your chains.

Revolutionary Suicide remains the best path forwards.

swampland
Oct 16, 2007

Dear Mr Cave, if you do not release the bats we will be forced to take legal action

fishmech posted:

He's constantly going to different high schools, colleges, etc. Many have booted him from the premises in the past, the one someone finally whacked him good at was one that hadn't booted him yet.

I'm sure in your country some rear end in a top hat could hang out at a university campus for a couple hours before getting booted and moving on too.

Oh true I got the impression from that vice clip he was just a regular at the same one my bad

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Shbobdb posted:

People advocate for non violence by I'm not sure why we should follow that path.

... Because even being objectively right with regards to the opinions you espouse doesn't grant immunity to politically motivated violence? The prohibition on violence as a means to quell dissent is part of a social contract that prevents people who hold views in opposition to yours from freely doing the same thing to silence you. Even if we agree, for the sake of argument, to suspend higher minded or ethical concerns, there's still a very real element of reciprocity here where society as a whole agrees that it's innapropriate to respond with violence to views that you deem incorrect or offensive because otherwise you wind up with gangs of thugs roaming around trying to silence their political rivals with violence and threats of violence.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Shbobdb posted:

People advocate for non violence by I'm not sure why we should follow that path. Sure, in some colonial situations it lets you get the moral high ground (like India) but violence seems to work just as well in those situations (America, Vietnam, China).

In a civilized society I'm for universal healthcare and against guns. That way if you talk poo poo and get hit you are likely to survive with an important lesson learned.

Racist police complicate this but only insofar as you accept the legitimacy of the police. I don't.

Its no different from ancient Sparta or any other slave society you could name. The warrior class claims a false legitimacy. You have nothing to lose but your chains.

Okay then, you're drifting into crazy territory. As screwed up as the country is, we are nowhere near the point where bloody revolution is either necessary or possible.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Shbobdb posted:

you first

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

I thought only Russians hang carpets on the walls

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Shbobdb posted:

Listen, we all miss LF but this isn't going to bring it back.

Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx

I remember being 15 and angry.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
There is already a great deal of politically motivated violence going on without reprisal. The woman hitting the man with a bat is an example of reciprocal violence against the very violent patriarchy. I'm OK with that. Most violence against women is not reciprocated and I think that is a shame.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Shbobdb posted:

There is already a great deal of politically motivated violence going on without reprisal. The woman hitting the man with a bat is an example of reciprocal violence against the very violent patriarchy. I'm OK with that. Most violence against women is not reciprocated and I think that is a shame.

It's not sporting to get rid of your avatar just so people will bite, shbobdb.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
We all agree she was in the wrong to actually attack him, and she'll serve her time.

...he still deserved it.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jun 1, 2016

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams

RareAcumen posted:

While you were crying about a dead cop, 410 BILLION BABIES WERE ABORTED IN THE LAST TWO MINUTES.

Pro-joke. :golfclap:

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

CommieGIR posted:

We all agree she was in the wrong to actually attack him, and she'll serve her time.

...he still deserved it.

What is right and what is just don't always align.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Didn't the ACLU basically say that it's wrong to suppress hate speech (either with violence / authority), and the best way to fight it was to use free speech of your own to counter it?

I'm not entirely sure how I feel about that. I remember my senior year of college, the school made a decision to ban the LaRouche pac and anti-abortion supporters (who would hold up blown up pictures of aborted fetuses) on campus on the basis that it didn't contribute to a healthy learning environment. Hell, when they were on campus, I would take routes to avoid having to deal with them. I don't think anyone besides them shed a tear that they were gone.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Goatman Sacks posted:

Why are they not people? You keep posting this same worthless garbage over and over.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Also,to whoever asked, the best and most effective way to deal with people like this is to make fun of them non-stop. Point and laugh and get other people to point and laugh also.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

oh my god how is this an actual debate people are having? if the blackshirts are preparing to march down to the parliament and seize power by force then by all means, bash the fash. otherwise no, you can't assault people for saying things you don't like

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

icantfindaname posted:

oh my god how is this an actual debate people are having? if the blackshirts are preparing to march down to the parliament and seize power by force then by all means, bash the fash. otherwise no, you can't assault people for saying things you don't like

stop me nerd

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

you're gonna be censured by the party disciplinary committee and sent to re-education or a struggle session if you keep it up

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

icantfindaname posted:

This is true, but if someone does assualt someone saying things I don't like or presenting themselves in an abhorrent fashion, I will still be happy to see it. That's all despite knowing that it's wrong.

Like that guy. Or Milo. Or Crowder or Walsh. Assaulting people is wrong but if someone does it I will be glad because they suck and I hope that it won't be deemed so extreme that the assualter is shot on sight.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Shbobdb posted:

People like this are why I am a liberal but not a leftist.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

I don't even know where to put this...

Creationist, Ken Ham, blames gorilla killed because of sin

quote:

Because we live in a fallen world, sin has affected everything, including gorillas and three-year-olds.

Therefore when deciding what to do in a situation where a human being, made in God’s image, is in the control of a sin-cursed animal with no sense of human morality, we must do all we can to protect the child from harm.

We are all saddened by such an event when an animal is killed and a child is harmed. But it is a reminder that we do live in a fallen world—and a reminder of the value of each human life made in the image of God.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I don't think original sin applies to animals, otherwise the Catholics would let dogs into heaven.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Shbobdb posted:

you my sad friend, are an rear end. you remind me of those dudes who comment on the police abuse/blm threads, who say they want blood on the streets and to murder every cop and uninvolved bystander.

Deified Data posted:

People like this are why I am a liberal but not a leftist.

this.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

I don't even know where to put this...

Creationist, Ken Ham, blames gorilla killed because of sin

wait. how the gently caress do animals "sin". i know its ken ham and he "needs" to believe poo poo like that. but holy poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Ken Hamm believes that bananas are proof that god loves us, yet is conspicuously silent on the subject of pineapples.