Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Huxley posted:

Lucio thoughts from ~6 hrs played and a 70% winrate with him:
  • You should always just be firing at open doors and entry points. People will definitely just ride through your fire, but they'll also get tagged and build your ult. And occasionally you'll catch someone slow coming through a choke who has no chance of closing distance on you. You may not ever actually hit him or even know he was there if you're not wallhacking, but if it forces him to spend 10 seconds circling around to another entry, that's 10 seconds you were on point that he wasn't.

• Speed Boost is more useful than just rushing points, it's also your primary escape mechanism and you should swap to it it any time you hear an ult where your ult either isn't up or doesn't make sense. You will save an extra life or two nearly every time Dva, Pharah, or Hanzo go off (at least once you get to the point you're playing with people who understand how LoS works). Damage prevention is the same as healing, and speed boosting your attackers behind poles will waste bad D.Va ults all day.

• Boop is useful for more than just sending people off cliffs. You'll start to see more opportunities for it as you play. Like sending people off the platform at Hanamura B, especially people with bad movement like McCree, Mei, or Zarya, is essentially a 5-second CC. Even just blasting a person from the side will mess up their aim and spacial awareness enough to take them out of a fight for a couple of seconds. It's not great booping straight into their face, but if you catch people from behind or the side, it's often better just to slam them in some new and exciting direction. As good as sending a Roadhog off a cliff is, it's also pretty great to watch McCree inform a bare wall that it's high noon. Or shoving a Mercy out of cover into the meat grinder.

So just like any character, playing with him can be a lot more involved than just healbotting while circling capture points.

I'm basically constantly firing as Lucio even if there's nothing for me to shoot at. Someone is always bound to run into it. Also there is really nothing more satisfying with Lucio than quickly running up to a nearly dead enemy and blasting them in the face with his Sonic Amplifier. It makes them look like they just explode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i kinda want to try ranked to see if people put more effort into actually communicating, winning the game, etc.

i don't have high hopes but you never know!

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Zorodius posted:

What is the counter to six Reinhardts?

Bastion/Pharah/Junkrat/Winston are all good counters.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Pro lucio tip:

In the middle of your crossfader you'll see a number, that's how many people are currently under the influence of your aura.

Lament as it never goes above 1.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Lucio is just less flashy than Mercy and Zen, but with okay positioning you're gonna be contributing a lot more to the team than they'll ever realize. Quite often, especially in KOTH, I end up with gold healing (6k or thereabouts), gold objective eliminations and objective time because pre firing corners hurts people and denies access to a point/peeking snipers, I can pick off whoever's already dying if needed be and I'm healing 3 people at least.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Zorodius posted:

What is the counter to five Reinhardts and a Lucio?

That comp has zero way to deal with a Pharah shooting at the tops of their heads.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

One thing with Lucio's wallriding I've noticed is that some people really don't know what to do when a character uses non-standard ways of moving around. I've avoided deaths solely because I juked them by making my escape on a wall rather than staying grounded.

Seems modern FPSes have trained people to aim exclusively at normal headshot level and as a result changing your height really fucks with them.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I had a game on Sanctum in Nepal (the control map where the point is on a lowered platform with a pit next to it) as Lucio. The other team was at 99%, my entire team was dead. I managed to survive for the 10-15 seconds it took my team to get back against the entire other team by just being REALLY obnoxious with my auras. I'd use speed to zip around them dodging fire, once they did some damage I'd switch back to healing to get back to full health, then do it again. All the while using my knockback to kick people off the ledge.

Lucio is really good and can be an absolute terror to deal with.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Huxley posted:

That comp has zero way to deal with a Pharah shooting at the tops of their heads.

they do actually: looking up

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.

Huxley posted:

some of the Reinhardts shield up like that scene in 300

MY ABACUS!
Oct 7, 2003

Katamari do your best!
I had to return the art book from the collector's edition to Amazon due to it being jacked up when I got it, and I was very clear that I didn't want to return the game itself or invalidate the game code.
As soon as I dropped it off at UPS, I got an email saying I got a full refund.
Anyone have any experience with this? Should I worry that my game will be revoked?

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
Doesn't Symmetra's orb go through shields?

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

HellCopter posted:

Doesn't Symmetra's orb go through shields?

It does!

Reinhart has really bad vertical movement so just set up a couple Bastions up high and start wailing away.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Zorodius posted:

some of the Reinhardts shield up like that scene in 300

I use the spray tag of Rein looking up with his shield as a reminder to look up.

Zonekeeper posted:

One thing with Lucio's wallriding I've noticed is that some people really don't know what to do when a character uses non-standard ways of moving around. I've avoided deaths solely because I juked them by making my escape on a wall rather than staying grounded.

Seems modern FPSes have trained people to aim exclusively at normal headshot level and as a result changing your height really fucks with them.

This is very true. people naturally aim where people will run to. No one naturally aims where people will fly, climb, or wall ride to.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Does anyone know if enemy heroes hear my voice lines? I heard someone say that they don't but I have a hard time of believing that

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

for real tho the reinhardt phalanx squad is poo poo and you're gonna lose if you try it because you're just gonna sit their throwing the fire thing every now and then while the entire other team can just shoot you from a distance

junkrat's ult will kill your whole team because you'll just be sitting their with your shields up and it'll drive right through them and explode. junkrat in general will gently caress you up because he can trap your charge and knock you around with mines that you can't effectively deal with

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

totalnewbie posted:

It does!

Reinhart has really bad vertical movement so just set up a couple Bastions up high and start wailing away.

This is the legit counter to a bunch Reins and a lucio.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
5 Symmetra + Lucio is the counter for 5 Reinhardt + Lucio

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
You definitely hear enemy lines. I frequently run up to the enemy spawn to spam Hello and voice lines, and you can hear muffled emotes on their end through the door.

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

MY ABACUS! posted:

I had to return the art book from the collector's edition to Amazon due to it being jacked up when I got it, and I was very clear that I didn't want to return the game itself or invalidate the game code.
As soon as I dropped it off at UPS, I got an email saying I got a full refund.
Anyone have any experience with this? Should I worry that my game will be revoked?

If it's Amazon don't worry. They refund my stuff fully even if I just want an exchange. They're really big on customer satisfaction.

MY ABACUS!
Oct 7, 2003

Katamari do your best!
Okay thanks Pumpy Dumper.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

When Uncharted 4 arrived a day late they extended my Prime membership by a month

Let's all agree to buy products from Amazon

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Does "E" rotate Symmetra's teleporter like Mei's Icewall?

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

Say what you will about Reaper's dopey design and the terrible pub players he often seems to attract, his shotguns and ult owns in those king of the hill maps that force a lot of close range fighting and clustering on points.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

MacheteZombie posted:

Does "E" rotate Symmetra's teleporter like Mei's Icewall?

Look down, there's an arrow that points to the exit (it's always pointing towards you, so just put your back to the direction you want your team to face when exiting).

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
as lucio last night i started running back to the spawn and speed ferrying our slower team members back. It seemed helpful and also kinda kept the team together so we accidentally got some nice pushes with most of the team hitting at once.

Then the next game I sat at Anubis 2 spamming "my ultimate is ready" "group up here" and not 1 drat person showed up. Sure just keep running into the double turret bastion squad guys [switches to '76 and runs off]

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Edmond Dantes posted:

Look down, there's an arrow that points to the exit (it's always pointing towards you, so just put your back to the direction you want your team to face when exiting).

Yeah I knew that, was just curious if it could be rotated.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

you can't rotate torbjorn's turret either, can you? (please say you can't, if you can and i just haven't noticed all this time i will be shamed forever)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Vermain posted:

I don't mean to make it sound like he's bad or anything - he's clearly very good and 100% necessary on KotH - but he often ends up feeling rather dull. If his LMB had a faster projectile speed, I'd probably enjoy playing him more.

Learn to lead his shots, its actually pretty satisfying once you do. Takes skill but if you land all 3 of the blaps on somebody it does a LOT more damage than most people seem to realize.

Big guys especially are pretty easy targets for landing lots of hits and doing pretty huge damage.

Help Im Alive posted:

When Uncharted 4 arrived a day late they extended my Prime membership by a month

Let's all agree to buy products from Amazon

Every time Amazon has messed something up, I've gotten them to give me free money.

Once I got them to give me over a hundred dollars because of a free game promotion, and it ended up the free games wouldn't have even been worth that much.

Their customer service is amazing.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Someone Awful! posted:

you can't rotate torbjorn's turret either, can you? (please say you can't, if you can and i just haven't noticed all this time i will be shamed forever)

torby's turret has 360 degree vision so it actually doesn't matter which way it's facing

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

MacheteZombie posted:

Yeah I knew that, was just curious if it could be rotated.

You can't; forcing it to be dropped facing you turns out to be a pretty elegant way to ensure that players aren't placing teleporters that face walls or sit on cliffs (except one time when a friend managed to somehow accidentally do this anyway).

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Brosnan posted:

You can't; forcing it to be dropped facing you turns out to be a pretty elegant way to ensure that players aren't placing teleporters that face walls or sit on cliffs (except one time when a friend managed to somehow accidentally do this anyway).

I died to a Symmetra teleport that led straight into the void. It wasn't even a troll, it was just that badly placed.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Kerrrrrrr posted:

torby's turret has 360 degree vision so it actually doesn't matter which way it's facing

It has some tracking time though. There's even a tip that says you should point in the direction you expect enemies come from, which is hilarious since you can't actually rotate it.

jubelio
Dec 10, 2003
if you can balance a tac-hammer on your head, you can head off your opponent with a balanced attack

Kerrrrrrr posted:

That extra second it takes to turn is kind of a big deal.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I basically just learned that Reaper consumes souls of the people he kills to bring back health. The floating orbs never registered with me before :downs:

Reaper is interesting. He's really strong but requires your team to be somewhat coordinated because it really helps for the enemy to be distracted when you attack them. I mean you can obviously stand around your team too and help attack with the group but he seems to work particularly well 1v1 against most of the characters (aside from Mei, the most terrifying character in the game). It also feels way easier to headshot with him than the other classes.

I wish his Blackwatch skin wasn't through the origin edition because I think it's great but I'm not paying $60 for a game the base game is $40. His Plague Doctor skin is dope though and that might be the next skin I get. Also I love how over the top campy he is and Blizzard 100% realizes that. One of his lines he has is "I'm not a psychopath. I'm a high functioning psychopath." I appreciate that Blizzard didn't take characters like him or Solider 76 all that seriously. They wouldn't have worked otherwise.

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

"Sorry about this! Competitive Play will be coming later in *JUNE*, not July. Apologies again for the error."

Looks like Ranked's back on the June menu boys.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Similar to Bastion, Torbjorn's turrets should usually have some walls protecting a side/backside.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Macaluso posted:

I basically just learned that Reaper consumes souls of the people he kills to bring back health. The floating orbs never registered with me before :downs:

Reaper is interesting. He's really strong but requires your team to be somewhat coordinated because it really helps for the enemy to be distracted when you attack them. I mean you can obviously stand around your team too and help attack with the group but he seems to work particularly well 1v1 against most of the characters (aside from Mei, the most terrifying character in the game). It also feels way easier to headshot with him than the other classes.

I wish his Blackwatch skin wasn't through the origin edition because I think it's great but I'm not paying $60 for a game the base game is $40. His Plague Doctor skin is dope though and that might be the next skin I get. Also I love how over the top campy he is and Blizzard 100% realizes that. One of his lines he has is "I'm not a psychopath. I'm a high functioning psychopath." I appreciate that Blizzard didn't take characters like him or Solider 76 all that seriously. They wouldn't have worked otherwise.

Reaper is my favorite offensive character because of his versatility. He is very good while flanking and harassing, but his health pool and shadowform mean he is also really good at flanking an enemy push on a point and then staying there to hold it. You can react to what is happening and contribute in multiple ways. If poo poo goes bad you can just crash the point with other people and get a lot done as in those moshpits he can put out a poo poo ton of damage and is harder to kill than other offensive heroes. than once it stabilizes you go back to harassing snipers and poo poo.

jubelio
Dec 10, 2003
if you can balance a tac-hammer on your head, you can head off your opponent with a balanced attack

Macaluso posted:

He's really strong but requires your team to be somewhat coordinated

I prefer the characters that can hoist a bad team up and drag them kicking and screaming across the victory screen. Torb, Widow, maybe Lucio and Reinhardt but not as much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

The maps in Overwatch tend to be complex enough that a solo Reaper can pick off a lot of people no matter how bad your team is. His teleport is invaluable for getting places no one expects you to be.

I tend to play support, but after a few matches where no level of Lucio'ing would save the team last night I switched to Reaper and had a ton of fun tearing the backside out of the opposition.