Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Doesn't she always talk about someone taking her to balls though? In my mind that was always about the outsider.

I might be mixing stuff up, it's been a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

We don't know that Granny has been visited, but she's definitely got all sorts of weird stuff going on, and the outsider has a monopoly on weird stuff.

Is there any confirmation that the mark has to be on the hand?

Edit: oh, and I'm pretty sure he's only talking about people who are alive at that point, and I'm pretty sure the rat boy died. edit2: actually no, the interrogator should still be alive at this point now I double check the timeline.

Deformed Church fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jun 1, 2016

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Granny Rags was definitely marked by the Outsider. And just like with Daud and his Whalers, it's possible for her to teach others like the Royal Interrogator how to use the Outsider's powers.

Fathis Munk posted:

Doesn't she always talk about someone taking her to balls though? In my mind that was always about the outsider.

I might be mixing stuff up, it's been a while.

Granny Rags was an aristocrat before she got all creepy and super-powered. All those mumbling are about her past and the life she used to lead.

"The Journal of Granny Rags" posted:

[Excerpt from the ramblings of a street denizen]

Of course I’ll tell you, dearie. I won’t keep any secrets from you in the end. All the dreary days of my life are like the windows of a house. From the kitchen, I can see out into the garden where the leaves and stalks are brown and bug-eaten. You can see a little lump of dirt where something was wrapped in a blanket and laid to rest along the rows of twisting vines.

The front room looks out into the street, where the neighbors are all setting fire to their homes, barricading themselves inside. Warm and snug, dearie.

Don’t forget about the bedroom, either. It sees into a dreary alley, where hooligans are playing a game with an old man. The first two are hitting him with sticks and the girl with them is kicking at his dry, old ribs. Oh, to have those bones, to boil them in a pot.

No one lives in my house anymore dearie. No one you’d want to meet.

When I lived there with my husband, we were fine, fine people. Vera Moray, everyone would say, your house is as grand as Boyle Manor. Better even. Your dinners are lavish and your parties are the best.

When that young Sokolov came to paint my portrait I was nearly still in my prime. Radiant, he said, and he was just barely a man, so young, painting all the best people across the land. Everyone wanted a portrait by his hand, all my friends. I was the only one, dearie, wet with his paint, glistening on the canvas for a pretty coin.

But it wasn’t all parties and paintings. My husband and I weren’t always at home, no. We traveled together, he and I, to the far ends of the Isles. Beyond even, all the way to the red cliffs of Pandyssia, to dig in the rock and crawl through the caves, holding up candles and squinting at the walls. Many precious things we came upon, but none so precious as the boy with the black eyes, dearie. All those marks and bones, carved so deep and polished so bright.

I brought the old bones home. Hid them from my dear husband. Then I learned to boil them and carve them myself. They made such good presents, dearie. The little mute boy took them home. He loved them so. All the time he came back with new bones for me, holding them up so I could see it in his eyes, even though his tongue was still. Granny, his eyes would say to me, carve these bones for me. Make me another present. And he went so far, so far, all the way to Dunwall Tower, the Royal Headsman himself now. My little mute boy and his shiny, shiny sword.

Better bones were what I needed, you see. Better bones to carve and polish, scrape and gleam. My dear old husband was always tired. I made him soup and then he was sick. Better bones, was all. For my little mute boy, carved in the name of the one with the black eyes. And after my husband was gone, given away as birthday gifts, I didn’t want to live there any more.

So now I’m old and don’t have many to give my presents to. It’s sifting through the garbage for Granny Rags, and feeding the little birdies that gather at my feet. No one wants to have tea, dearie. Especially those rude louts on Bottle Street. Slackjaw and his boys, always meddling with an old woman just trying to make her way.

In the end we’ll be together with him. You and me in the dreary night with the stars above and below. And always the one with the black eyes, dearie.

Fun Fact: That book is only available if you pre-ordered the game.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
We know Daud grants his followers power, but Granny has real power, is capable of real feats all her own. She understands witchcraft, and knows its power, unlike Piero's dabbling in the arcane (the Heart, for one) which is unknowingly implanted by the Outsider and is mostly out of Piero's control. And she talks a lot of the young man with dark eyes. She knows the Outsider. We've seen Sokolov's knowledge of the Outsider, someone who has tried to grasp power without it being given. Sokolov really knows very little of the Outsider himself, but Granny knows him in a way Sokolov never can.

Whether she's still visited, we can't say. She does seem incessantly preoccupied, and perhaps her detached madness is due to the lost contact with the Outsider, but she definitely has his power. She is no mere thrall. If Granny isn't marked, then I don't know how she can be anything else.

I have this DLC, I'm sure. I'll have to go run through it.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
That Granny Rags lore is in the GOTY edition, with the pile of bonus bone charms and statues that come with the other pre-order DLC. There are lore books about Slackjaw and the Torturer as well.

Llab
Dec 28, 2011

PEPSI FOR VG BABE

Brainamp posted:

Fun Fact: That book is only available if you pre-ordered the game.

Do you mean in-game? It also shows up for GOTY owners. That, and a billion charms I never use. Slackjaw's rise was also good.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

SpookyLizard posted:

Yeah, the Outsider specifically says that they're bearing his mark. Dauds many assassins' don't have the mark, but they did learn how to blink. Granny Rags definitely knows a lot but does she just worship the outsider, or is she marked? And considering that some of those people, much like that boy, Daud, and Corvo, have all died, or are all going to die soon, or are at serious risk of an imminent death, that low number doesn't surprise me.

This is specifically explained by a note you can find in the Flooded District - one of the powers granted to Daud by the Outsider is the ability to share some of his magical abilities with people that are loyal to him.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Llab posted:

Do you mean in-game? It also shows up for GOTY owners. That, and a billion charms I never use. Slackjaw's rise was also good.

It was pre-order dlc only before. Didn't know what all the goty edition included.

Llab
Dec 28, 2011

PEPSI FOR VG BABE
I think GOTY editions like to include all the pre-order stuff. Fallout: New Vegas GOTY comes with all 4 of the pre-order exclusives that you could only get from separate retailers.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
If you don't have the GOTY, the Voidwalker's Arsenal is the DLC that collects the four different pre-order bonuses. The books are on Granny Rags, Slackjaw, the Spymaster/Lord Regent and Daud.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I suppose it's a symptom of being a player character (and a mere assassin) that Daud and Corvo don't fundamentally understand the nature of the void. They can tap into its power, and use it intuitively, but they can never get really creative with it like Granny and Delilah.

Phobophilia fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Jun 2, 2016

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Daud and Corvo have access to an arsenal pretty much relevant to murder and sneakery, because that's what the Outsider has given them. Granny and the Witches have various different powers becasue they've figured them out or otherwise gained access to magic. It's never clearly stated just how anyone other than Corvo got their powers beyond "whale bone charms" and "rituals" and "the outsider". Just because people are visited by the outsider, or have magic powers, doesn't mean they have The Mark, which i kinda took to be one of the Outsider's Chosen. Someone otherwise non-magical or non-occult, who The Outsider was just like "here, have some loving magic" and let them get on to making life interesting. I don't think we see anyone else in the game whoa actually has a Mark besides Daud and Corvo, so it's hard to tell if other people have marks or if Daud's Whalers have a weaker version of said mark. It doesn't appear so, because the Marks apparently glow when using magic and Daud's will show through his glove.

tl;dr I'm pretty sure its not that there are eight magic users in the world, there are eight people that the Outsider finds super special interesting.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Spoilers, dude :( .

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

SpookyLizard posted:

Daud and Corvo have access to an arsenal pretty much relevant to murder and sneakery, because that's what the Outsider has given them. Granny and the Witches have various different powers becasue they've figured them out or otherwise gained access to magic. It's never clearly stated just how anyone other than Corvo got their powers beyond "whale bone charms" and "rituals" and "the outsider". Just because people are visited by the outsider, or have magic powers, doesn't mean they have The Mark, which i kinda took to be one of the Outsider's Chosen. Someone otherwise non-magical or non-occult, who The Outsider was just like "here, have some loving magic" and let them get on to making life interesting. I don't think we see anyone else in the game whoa actually has a Mark besides Daud and Corvo, so it's hard to tell if other people have marks or if Daud's Whalers have a weaker version of said mark. It doesn't appear so, because the Marks apparently glow when using magic and Daud's will show through his glove.

tl;dr I'm pretty sure its not that there are eight magic users in the world, there are eight people that the Outsider finds super special interesting.

It's specifically stated in the companion book that Granny Rags has the Mark, and the Whalers being able to use Bink is explained in a note you find in the Flooded District - Daud can grant limited powers to those he chooses.

grack fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jun 2, 2016

Sorites
Sep 10, 2012

On a totally other note: This guy's handling of the duel in Lady Boyle's Last Party is the best thing I've ever seen in my entire goddamned life.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Sorites posted:

On a totally other note: This guy's handling of the duel in Lady Boyle's Last Party is the best thing I've ever seen in my entire goddamned life.

The ultimate chumping, truly.

e: Holy poo poo you can possess tallboys! I wonder if there's a mod or something to give me an infinite mana and rune supply just so I could gently caress around much more easily.

Zomborgon fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Jun 2, 2016

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
There's a trainer, if you want to really get into it.

My greatest shame is that I will never be as good at video games as that guy. Holy poo poo.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
It's honestly less impressive than you might think. Saving a game mid mission saves the random seeds, so basically all he has done here is route something for a specific save game. StealthGamesBR does a lot of that, just basically messing around with one specific instance and doing something fun with it, which is fine and makes for great viewing, but is not really indicative of actual competency with the game.

He also hacks pretty obviously, you can hear him drinking mana potions and he outstrips the 9 maximum mana potions in the first like minute. It's less apparent because he turns off the UI. Again, makes for great viewing, but again, not actually following the constraints of the game.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Thanks, Houdini.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Sorites posted:

Man all of those videos are insane I wonder how much time of took him to elaborate these plans and pull them off so perfectly.

There's deffo some cheating going on (infinite mana potions, maybe some one hit kill stuff) but drat that's beautiful.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Since I've been doing a fair bit of routing myself, I'd guess that probably a good 2, maybe 3 hours of planning goes in to an average 6-10 minute video, with another 30 or so to actually get the video (since even once you know what you're going to do, you're bound to mess it up without practice).

Previous familiarity with the game almost doesn't matter in situations this optimized, since there's always little differences between overall playthroughs - enemies will take slightly different pathing, timings will be different, etc. Only in a given save game does all that stuff stay consistent, so I doubt it's going to be much less than that in terms of preparation. Guards being 10 feet away from where you remember them being in your last save game will totally foul up your routing on things like this.

Certainly nothing to sneeze at effort wise, especially when you consider how many videos he has up.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Yeah, every time I see an impressive ten-thirty seconds of gameplay I wonder how long it took to get right. Like sometimes it was obviously random chance and they happened to have the camera rolling and other times I can see, for instance, skidmarks and crashed cars from previous failures. It's all impressive, though.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Orv if i keep holding my bottle of wild turkey as gingerly as an empress's heart until it sings thoughts through my ears, will you keep sciencing?

I have ideas but if you want to be done with LP making for now i can respect that

Orv
May 4, 2011
I will promise one episode of DLC science, so make your ideas known now, that goes for anybody.

Also get better alcohol.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Orv posted:

I will promise one episode of DLC science, so make your ideas known now, that goes for anybody.

Also get better alcohol.

It's a good thing I live real close to Total Wine.

Orv
May 4, 2011

SpookyLizard posted:

It's a good thing I live real close to Total Wine.

Good man.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
3.7 stars total wine reviewers? What the gently caress!

Glenlivet 12 year will always hold a special place in my heart, as it's the first whisky i ever really had. My friends bought me a bottle for my 21st.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.

SpookyLizard posted:

Glenlivet 12 year will always hold a special place in my heart, as it's the first whisky i ever really had. My friends bought me a bottle for my 21st.

I will never really love any whiskey quite like Glenlivet 12. You have good taste.

Orv
May 4, 2011

SpookyLizard posted:

Yeah it's basically a crime. Glenlivet is great, and it doesn't cost you an arm and a leg to enjoy it, even if it's as good as something way pricier.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
I may have to pick some up the next time I go in. The best time to drink is when watching lets plays. I've been meaning to try new things to fit my new, sunnier location, but fuckit whisky is whisky.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

i am just popping in to say that i heartily approve of all whisky chat in any thread i make anywhere

also, while it is not a proper whisky in that it is a blended/spiced thing, if anyone has an angle on Jeremiah Weed Spiced Whiskey I will happily pay for a few bottles. i've been trying to find this crap all over Kansas City to no god drat avail.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Dishonored 2 needs fluff books of cocktails and the drinking culture of the Empire. I'm curious to see what alcohol people drink on boats when the sea is possessed by murder whales. I don't think a gimlet is going to cut it for naval officers in that context.

Twiggymouse
Mar 4, 2013

Well, take this with a grain of salt, but
Lagavulin

Nothing against Glenlivet, but I prefer my single malts to taste like a well trodden peat bog that's just suffered an irreparable fire. Also good for keeping you warm while surrounded by fog, salt, and murderous beasties.

Mind, my father's a Laphroaig man, so that's what I grew up on.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I'll drink pretty much any malt out of Islay, but Laphroaig was what brought me into the world of being a giant dick about my drinking so it has a place on my shelf.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.

Damned good stuff but at too high a price point, at least for me at this stage of my life. I have half a bottle, but I save it for important poo poo/incredibly depressing days.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

The bar I frequent in town has a Glenfidditch 21-year-old that I get for a slight discount because the bartender knows gently caress-all about scotch, so when I ask for it neat she gives me a full rocks glass of it for the price of what they'd charge if she poured it over a full rocks glass of ice. :cawg: $18 for a full rocks glass of 21 year old scotch is the best.

But yeah, my real Bourbon love is Woodford Reserve, but like gently caress am I going to be able to shell out 50 bucks for a 750 every time I want bourbon. Wild Turkey's just good enough, in the supply my small-rear end town gives me, for half the price. It's better than Ancient Age at least.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Great, now I really want them to get Brian Cox for the Whiskey and Cigars DLC.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Hannibal Rex posted:

Great, now I really want them to get Brian Cox for the Whiskey and Cigars DLC.

Hey, if Witcher III can have a "Blood and Wine" DLC....

gregory
Jun 8, 2013

METAL GEAR!
Man, all this booze talk makes me kinda wish I could stomach any of that stuff. Unfortunately even a tiny sip of scotch, bourbon, or whiskey leaves me worse off than someone who's just been possessed by Corvo (normally because they die/get choked out immediately instead of vomiting for the next twelve hours).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twiggymouse
Mar 4, 2013

Well, take this with a grain of salt, but

gregory posted:

Man, all this booze talk makes me kinda wish I could stomach any of that stuff. Unfortunately even a tiny sip of scotch, bourbon, or whiskey leaves me worse off than someone who's just been possessed by Corvo (normally because they die/get choked out immediately instead of vomiting for the next twelve hours).

More's the pity. Are you one of those folk who can't have dark liquor, at all?

Also, speaking of "too high a price point", I stumbled upon this, today: Yamazaki 35 Yr Single Malt.
(You can skip the email if you just click the arrow at the bottom of the page)

With all the loot Coolguye's managed to pick up, surely Corvo can afford at least one bottle, right?

• Locked thread