Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Depends. The recolored Killing Joke looks like garbage but the recolored 1991 Xmen looks good and the Simonson Thor can go either way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Detective No. 27 posted:

Being ad free is one of the reasons I switched to digital. :colbert:

Yeah I honestly wouldn't read comicbooks (or at least not weekly releases) if digital wasn't ad free. It just breaks up the flow of the story too much. Like, I get that it's a small thing to just flip another page and get over it but I'm very easily taken out of a story/book so a single page of ads would do it for me.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

DrProsek posted:

I'm very easily taken out of a story/book so a single page of ads would do it for me.

They make medicine for that. Get medicine.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I wish there was medicine I could take to stay in a comic book forever

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Travis343 posted:

Yeah no, "modern" coloring can gently caress right off. I don't even like it in most "modern" comics.

whattya talkin about, everything looks better covered in gradients

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Alaois posted:

whattya talkin about, everything looks better covered in gradients

I like a background of orange people wearing orange clothes

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Teenage Fansub posted:

Do we have digital numbers from anyone to quantify any of that? Marvel's largely given up on any sort of digital forward stuff.
No one has given any specifics, but Marvel stated that with digital included, Ms. Marvel was outselling Uncanny X-Men when Bendis was writing it. G. Willow Wilson has also made some tweets about seeing the real sales numbers (being the writer and all) and they're not at all what people think. That Ms. Marvel Vol 1 TPB is still showing up on Diamond's sales charts is very, very telling, as well.

So in short, no, not really, but we can infer a lot. The short version being that comics targeted at people other than traditional comics readers (i.e. middle-aged white cis males) may not necessarily sell very well in floppies, but can do very will in both digital and collected forms.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's Rebirth week 1!

Out today are

Batman Rebirth #1
Green Arrow Rebirth #1
Green LanternS Rebirth #1
Superman Rebirth #1

I enjoyed three of these and have yet to read the fourth!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

So are they gathering together to punch Dr Manhattan in the face?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The colouring on the beard in Superman Rebirth is hilarious, like they realized too late that it needed to be filled out and someone dragged a blurred brush around in Photoshop for a few seconds.

Mahnke's Death of Superman recap looked great, though.

Here's his resurrection longhair from the flashback for fun.

Batman didn't really have room for the set-up and a villain story. It was okay, but they should've gone one way or the other.
e: Though a moulting Calendar Man is amazing.

Green Lanterns wasn't really anything. They're mercifully not on the series going forward, but I really do not enjoy looking at EVS and Ed Benes pages. Ick.

e: Here's the new logo/number treatment on a regular issue and limited series. Guessing in print the price goes into the issue number circle.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Jun 1, 2016

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
Green Lanterns ends on what's possibly the worst drawing of a cat ever commited to paper.

Holy gently caress, what happened for Dex-Starr to end up so horribly twisted and broken?

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:
I think I liked the Green Arrow Rebirth issue? The art rules. The dialog is a bit corny.

We'll see. It was better than the Batman Rebirth issue. Sheesh.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Any of these have Watchmen fuckery in? Where's that going to be?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Unkempt posted:

Any of these have Watchmen fuckery in? Where's that going to be?

Expect it to be paid off as quickly as Nick Fury's Thor whisper.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Are they really doing another Green Lantern from Earth? How do they even justify it at that point?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

muscles like this? posted:

Are they really doing another Green Lantern from Earth? How do they even justify it at that point?

Funnily enough, that's a question posed by just about everyone in the comic.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

muscles like this? posted:

In JL 50 they don't even really explain. Even in comic the existing lanterns are like "ok but why".
E:f,b

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

:wiggle:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Would the logic not just be 'Earth is where all the poo poo starts, best to have a whole bunch of space cops there to deal with it'?

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
So these "rebirth" issue aren't the post rebirth series are they? They're taking place alongside the main rebirth comic?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Superman's is obviously post-Rebirth. Batman's I don't think matters one way or the other. I haven't read either of the Green Dudes.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Kingtheninja posted:

So these "rebirth" issue aren't the post rebirth series are they? They're taking place alongside the main rebirth comic?

They're effectively issue 0 of each new series.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Post that in the 'Badass Panels' thread.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Teenage Fansub posted:

Post that in the 'Badass Panels' thread.

Let's make a Goodass Panels thread for it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Superman Rebirth was really good, the extended interaction between Old Clark and New Lana was great. I eagerly look forward to the next issue. And GAR was equally enjoyable and I'm digging the poo poo out of the art.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Of the three Rebirth issues I read I did not go in expecting Tom King's Batman to be the clear weakest of the lot. Superman Rebirth was easily the best though. It feels good to be regularly looking forward to Superman books again.

Kingtheninja posted:

As someone else said they're like 0 issues. Rebirth isn't an event, it was a one shot comic. All these books follow that comic.

X-O fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Jun 1, 2016

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

It feels good to be regularly looking forward to Superman books again.

Good but weird as gently caress right?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rhyno posted:

Good but weird as gently caress right?

When I saw they even put Bloodwynd into the Doomsday panels I smiled. And then they showed the Resurrection Suit and tried to find the Regeneration Matrix. I was definitely liking that book.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

When I saw they even put Bloodwynd into the Doomsday panels I smiled. And then they showed the Resurrection Suit and tried to find the Regeneration Matrix. I was definitely liking that book.

I cam into comics roughly 2 years prior to the death so that was definitely playing my song. Not to sound all old man but it's nice that my comics "count" again.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

X-O posted:

Of the three Rebirth issues I read I did not go in expecting Tom King's Batman to be the clear weakest of the lot. Superman Rebirth was easily the best though. It feels good to be regularly looking forward to Superman books again.

As someone else said they're like 0 issues. Rebirth isn't an event, it was a one shot comic. All these books follow that comic.

Oh weird, I kept expecting a house of M type thing where everyone gets their memories back or something. Which sounds weird, now that I'm typing it.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rhyno posted:

I cam into comics roughly 2 years prior to the death so that was definitely playing my song. Not to sound all old man but it's nice that my comics "count" again.

That's around the time I got into Superman comics as well. If they start do the Shield Numbers on the Superman book covers again I'd be a happy person.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

That's around the time I got into Superman comics as well. If they start do the Shield Numbers on the Superman book covers again I'd be a happy person.

I think they said they'd be reserving those for crossovers like the one that just ended.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

So uhhh I liked that superman book a lot more than batman.

Neat that I'll be buying a superman book again!

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Everyone posted:

Batman wasn't very good.

Sad, that's my guy. I guess I'll be looking forward to Superman then. How much of the last stuff do I need to know to get into this stuff? Is it ok to have just read Rebirth?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

X-O posted:

Eh, Green Lanterns Rebirth was the one I was most interested in reading and it was really pointless and kinda bad. You can't introduce two new heroes by having them immediately start arguing with each other and also having them both point out that their roles are completely unnecessary. I'll give it a couple more issues, I guess, but I went from excited for the new GLs to on the verge of not caring about them as per usual. Really weak opening.

Batman was kind of a mess, but I chalk that up more to having to intro two different series with two different writers that ended up co-writing this issue. It does feel a bit schizophrenic. But yeah, once King and Snyder are by themselves I'm sure it'll make for better writing, so I'm still confident.

Superman was clearly the best of the lot though, yeah. Really great first issue.

SonicRulez posted:

Sad, that's my guy. I guess I'll be looking forward to Superman then. How much of the last stuff do I need to know to get into this stuff? Is it ok to have just read Rebirth?

Superman Rebirth's basically one long recap issue anyways. Only read Rebirth (well, L & C 8 as well) and it worked fine for me.

Guess you can read L & C 8 if you want the full context, but it's certainly not necessary.

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jun 1, 2016

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
batman rebirth was ok but the B cover gave batman a gigantic dick and it was distracting

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Literally The Worst posted:

batman rebirth was ok but the B cover gave batman a gigantic dick and it was distracting

:magical:

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Literally The Worst posted:

"gave" Batman a giant dick as opposed to "accurately portrayed Batman's giant dick"

That's what this forum is named after, Batman's shamefully gigantic hog

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

He's like Jon Hamm, except instead of "stop talking about my enormous penis, I'm an accomplished performer, please acknowledge my body of work and not my veiny Glycon", Batman's like "stop talking about my dick, you are the Riddler not the Dick-Talker, I'm right here ninja-punching you with million-dollar gloves, they're made of space shuttle ceramics".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I don't know what you guys are talking about. Nightwing looks the same size he's always been.