Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
like, the entire "industry" is based around lying to the parents and then convincing them that anything their kid says to them about the camp is a lie to get the parents to take them home, and these are often parents who feel like they're at the end of their rope and who are in a vulnerable state, and they're horribly taken advantage of by a bunch of cocksuckers like Sue Scheff

don't kill them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Literally The Worst posted:

i would not kill te parents because they are often lied to about what the camp entails in order to get the money

they should do their research. The internet exists, and is full of horrifying accounts of what these places are. If you're such a lovely parent you have your kid kidnapped to be taken away for 'tough love', regardless if its truly what is advertised or the eternity, you don't deserve to have kids in the first place. And if you don't do your research before doing so, you deserve far worse.

edit: and if you don't trust your kid when they're telling you they're going through terrible poo poo at the camp, you're a piece of dogshit.

and describing these parents as vulnerable and at the end of their rope is generous. Half the parents are sending their kids there because they're emo or they want to be a hair stylist, or just unhappy. These parents are awful people and the industry would not exist without them.

juggalo baby coffin has a new favorite as of 03:38 on Jun 1, 2016

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

If you consider that a lot of them pack their kids off because they're gay or "willfully insolent" I think some of those parent have it coming.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

FirstPersonShitter posted:

edit: and if you don't trust your kid when they're telling you they're going through terrible poo poo at the camp, you're a piece of dogshit.

they are literally told by the camp that their kids are going to say this, and that it's going to be a lie to get the parents to take them home and that the parents have to stay strong

your vitriol for people who are lied to and fuckin scammed and taken advantage of is insane. yeah, they hosed up. they should have done research. but they are not nearly as bad as te people who feed off human misery for money.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Jack Gladney posted:

If you consider that a lot of them pack their kids off because they're gay or "willfully insolent" I think some of those parent have it coming.

the pray the gay away parents absolutely deserve to swing

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

they are literally told by the camp that their kids are going to say this, and that it's going to be a lie to get the parents to take them home and that the parents have to stay strong

your vitriol for people who are lied to and fuckin scammed and taken advantage of is insane. yeah, they hosed up. they should have done research. but they are not nearly as bad as te people who feed off human misery for money.

it doesn't matter, trust your kids over some camp that you did sooo little research on that you don't even know what it really is. I don't care if they're scammed, ignorance isn't a defense for being that lovely a human being. I don't care if you think you're sending them to loving disneyland, drugging your kid and having people kidnap them is unacceptable. It's a betrayal of the basic bond of trust between parent and child. You're supposed to be a caregiver and on their side, but you're such a failure at that job that you have them kidnapped.

the pray the gay away parents absolutely deserve to swing

so you think its fine to let them swing if their motivation for doing the exact same fuckin thing is that they've also been conned by abusive faith beforehand.

juggalo baby coffin has a new favorite as of 03:45 on Jun 1, 2016

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

it doesn't matter, trust your kids over some camp that you did sooo little research on that you don't even know what it really is. I don't care if they're scammed, ignorance isn't a defense for being that lovely a human being. I don't care if you think you're sending them to loving disneyland, drugging your kid and having people kidnap them is unacceptable. It's a betrayal of the basic bond of trust between parent and child. You're supposed to be a caregiver and on their side, but you're such a failure at that job that you have them kidnapped.

ok guy

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
countdown to someone interpreting this as me saying i'm totally okay with the camps and think the parents are blameless saints begins now

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Dreddout posted:

Reminds me of the documentay "Kidnapped for Christ". Essentially, parents sign up for their kids to be dragged from their beds at night and flown to a private island where Jesus camp poo poo goes down. Highly recommended, for the unnerving factor.

This movie is boss because the director starts out totally unaware that anything's wrong, thinking it's just like a fun church camp, and as the movie goes on she starts to pick up what's going on as she talks to the kids and the people in charge. At the same time, the people running the camp start to realize that she's catching onto them, meaning that she slowly turns more critical and they slowly start to restrict her access. It's kind of a thriller in that regard. Kudos to that kid (she made it while still in school at like 20 or something) for not closing her eyes to what she was seeing.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

countdown to someone interpreting this as me saying i'm totally okay with the camps and think the parents are blameless saints begins now

you seem to think its understandable and pardonable to have your kids literally kidnapped when your defense is that you were too lazy to do any research. Literally, just google the name of any of these camps and the horror stories come up. But they couldn't spare that effort because they were so emotionally exhausted by their kid wanting to be a hair stylist that they just had to hand over the 16 grand and drug their daughter.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Jack Gladney posted:

This movie is boss because the director starts out totally unaware that anything's wrong, thinking it's just like a fun church camp, and as the movie goes on she starts to pick up what's going on as she talks to the kids and the people in charge. At the same time, the people running the camp start to realize that she's catching onto them, meaning that she slowly turns more critical and they slowly start to restrict her access. It's kind of a thriller in that regard. Kudos to that kid (she made it while still in school at like 20 or something) for not closing her eyes to what she was seeing.

I'm always really skeptical when a documentary comes out that starts with the premise of the filmmaker not knowing something's wrong with a situation. Why the f would you be making a documentary about how great the place is? What is the upside of that?

There've been so many documentaries in the last decade or so that start with the "I didn't know what I was filming at the time" selling point that I'm really doubtful of most of them at this point. Not that the documentary itself is probably bad or anything, but it just seems like a dumb twist premise to get people's attention to me.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Aesop Poprock posted:

I'm always really skeptical when a documentary comes out that starts with the premise of the filmmaker not knowing something's wrong with a situation. Why the f would you be making a documentary about how great the place is? What is the upside of that?

There've been so many documentaries in the last decade or so that start with the "I didn't know what I was filming at the time" selling point that I'm really doubtful of most of them at this point. Not that the documentary itself is probably bad or anything, but it just seems like a dumb twist premise to get people's attention to me.

She was a born-again (evangelical convert, possibly) at bible college at the ripe-old age of 20. I can believe that she really was that naive. It's clearly a student's first film. Also, I don't think she went on to be a documentarian, though she's now some kind of liberal protestant because of what she went through.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I should also mention that this actually happened to a good friend of mine when we were in 9th grade. He was a ginger kid who was really high energy, funny, etc. but he smoked weed and dress like/listen to punk and was starting to do bad at school so his mom (whom I was familiar with enough that I can say was absolutely insane and abusive) had him kidnapped and shipped off to a christian place in Colorado. We lived in PA.

He said he woke up around 3am to two men in his room and tried to escape in his boxers, but they wrestled him to the floor and handcuffed him. His mom came in and was yelling at him while this was going down and he was screaming and struggling. They eventually got him out to the car and had clothes they managed to get him into. They got him to the airport and by then they'd all calmed down a little. One of the guys bought him some food and was trying to be nice to him. When they weren't paying attention he made a run for it again and they tackled him and drug him back. This would've been in 2002 so it's hard for me to even imagine how the gently caress this would go down in an airport without people freaking the gently caress out/being denied a flight. How powerful can these places really be?

Anyway, he came back halfway through senior year and was basically totally brainwashed. Always wore khakis and polos or button-downs and was hyper religious where before he was really anti-religion. Was still nice and had some of his former qualities but it was a huge shock. Despite that it only took like 6 months of hanging out with us again that he was back to the old Bill and started talking about how horrific the "School" he was sent to was. They did pretty much all the stuff listed above (except for blatantly beating people, although they would make you run til you passed out from exhaustion) and it sounded totally horrifying to me cause I never knew that was a thing until then.

He lucked out and had a wealthy aunt who loved him and eventually invited him to stay with her so he could escape from his mother, and she funded him through the CIA (the cooking one) and he's got a pretty good job as a sous chef at a Connecticut country club now so things at least worked out for him.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

you seem to think its understandable and pardonable to have your kids literally kidnapped when your defense is that you were too lazy to do any research. Literally, just google the name of any of these camps and the horror stories come up. But they couldn't spare that effort because they were so emotionally exhausted by their kid wanting to be a hair stylist that they just had to hand over the 16 grand and drug their daughter.

i think theyre saying that maybe not all the parents deserve execution, not that its a cool fun thing to do to a kid

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Aesop Poprock posted:

I should also mention that this actually happened to a good friend of mine when we were in 9th grade. He was a ginger kid who was really high energy, funny, etc. but he smoked weed and dress like/listen to punk and was starting to do bad at school so his mom (whom I was familiar with enough that I can say was absolutely insane and abusive) had him kidnapped and shipped off to a christian place in Colorado. We lived in PA.

He said he woke up around 3am to two men in his room and tried to escape in his boxers, but they wrestled him to the floor and handcuffed him. His mom came in and was yelling at him while this was going down and he was screaming and struggling. They eventually got him out to the car and had clothes they managed to get him into. They got him to the airport and by then they'd all calmed down a little. One of the guys bought him some food and was trying to be nice to him. When they weren't paying attention he made a run for it again and they tackled him and drug him back. This would've been in 2002 so it's hard for me to even imagine how the gently caress this would go down in an airport without people freaking the gently caress out/being denied a flight. How powerful can these places really be?

Anyway, he came back halfway through senior year and was basically totally brainwashed. Always wore khakis and polos or button-downs and was hyper religious where before he was really anti-religion. Was still nice and had some of his former qualities but it was a huge shock. Despite that it only took like 6 months of hanging out with us again that he was back to the old Bill and started talking about how horrific the "School" he was sent to was. They did pretty much all the stuff listed above (except for blatantly beating people, although they would make you run til you passed out from exhaustion) and it sounded totally horrifying to me cause I never knew that was a thing until then.

He lucked out and had a wealthy aunt who loved him and eventually invited him to stay with her so he could escape from his mother, and she funded him through the CIA (the cooking one) and he's got a pretty good job as a sous chef at a Connecticut country club now so things at least worked out for him.

like i said, these people should swing

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011

Dreddout posted:

Reminds me of the documentay "Kidnapped for Christ". Essentially, parents sign up for their kids to be dragged from their beds at night and flown to a private island where Jesus camp poo poo goes down. Highly recommended, for the unnerving factor.

I did a bunch of research on Christian reform schools for a creative project, and the school in "Kidnapped for Christ" isn't anywhere close to being the worst that is/was out there. There are definitely worse than this one, but it springs to mind:

New Beginnings Girls Academy

quote:

The abuse was nothing short of daily physical and psychological torture. I did receive Licks while at the Home, which Brother Mac insisted on “supervising.” The reason I got Licks was because I had still refused to accept their “faith” and additionally had self-injured and had gotten an infection, which forced me to confess and ask for antiseptic. I refused to stand up and bend over, especially in front of him. I said something to the effect of, “Oh, you get to watch too? Fat f***ing pervert.” So Brother Mac called 12 Helpers in to restrain me, but they looked like they were so reluctant to do it. I didn’t want to fight the other girls, so I just complied and received my Licks with 14 people in the room. Brother Mac had a centered view, right behind me.

I was on Redshirt for about a month, in April/May of 2001. I had to stand with my nose on a white wall in a sweltering hot room for hours upon hours. I was supervised while standing there for that (approximate) month. I was not allowed to close my eyes. I was not allowed to move. My hands had to remain at my sides and my feet flat on the floor. Basically they take away all stimulation until you break down inside many times over. There were more than 20 of us Redshirts at the time, and every hour or so one of us would just fall backward onto the floor from the dizziness. It was mental hell. It was torture.

I had my constitutional rights completely stripped from me from the day that I walked in that door until the day that I left forever. The directors control everything, even the other adult staff and "junior staff." They were extremely manipulative people, to say the very least.

Over the (approximate) four and a half years that I was there, I saw so much. It’s hard to know where to begin. I’ve seen girls held down and beaten with rods (not just on the buttocks.) The Directors use girls in the Home and Junior Staff to restrain the girls so that they can keep accusations to a minimum. This hurts the girls’ ability to trust each other and deepens those feelings of isolation. Some girls experience deep, guilty feelings because of being made to do what they were told, holding other girls down and helping the Directors, but we all did what we did out of fear. We did what we had to do to survive. This place is truly a cult. We were all subjected to psychological abuse daily.

The anxiety was just driven higher and higher every day. I saw girls beaten with whatever items were readily on hand, tackled, thrown into pools. I saw girls starve themselves for days in hopes that they'd be sent home. I saw girls pull off “Shawshank Redemption” worthy escapes. One slit her wrists. Another bit holes the diameter of pennies almost completely through her cheeks. I saw so many exhausted to the point of disassociation. One threw herself head first off a toilet in a 4x5 foot stall to try to kill herself, leaving a huge gash in her face. I saw a girl try to stab another girl with a fork for no explained reason – just to be sent somewhere else. I saw a girl try to murder - literally MURDER - another girl just to go to jail rather than stay at New Beginnings. She stabbed her Buddy in the ear with a pencil and the stunned room full of girls tried to pull her off of the girl she was attempting to kill while she tried like hell to twist and shove the pencil deeper into her ear canal.

... I saw a Helper slam a girl’s head through a wall, leaving a huge concave dent in the wall, and the Helper got patted on the back for her loyalty to God thereafter. I saw girls who were naturally white as sheets forced to lay out in the sun for 3+ hours a day every day until their skin split and bled. I’ve heard the Directors call girls “fat,” “heifer,” “human being,” “monkey,” “retarded,” “slut,” “whore,” and the list goes on. Brother Mac came into the dorm a couple of different times in the middle of the night and accused girls of masturbating because he said he could - in his words - "smell it."

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
Maia Szalavitz's book Help at Any Cost about these torture schools/camps is deeply disturbing.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
https://www.law.umich.edu/special/exoneration/pages/casedetail.aspx?caseid=4504

What a hot loving mess. Poor woman :smith:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Phanatic posted:

You would not legally be arrested, and if you were arrested you'd have cause for a massive civil rights lawsuit because you're engaged in clearly protected speech. Brandenburg v. Ohio. It's not even a close call, it's a clearly established right and you could sue even the individual cops who arrested you and they wouldn't have any immunity.

You might be assaulted, but then the cops would arrest the people who assaulted you for breaking the law, not you for making other people distressed or angry.

Which is why Britain is sane in this instance and America isn't. This guy wasn't arrested over freedom of speech. He was arrested because he was deliberately attempting to get other people to break the law by attacking him.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Good thing they also arrest women in short skirts before someone rapes them right? :can:

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

Wildeyes posted:

I did a bunch of research on Christian reform schools for a creative project, and the school in "Kidnapped for Christ" isn't anywhere close to being the worst that is/was out there. There are definitely worse than this one, but it springs to mind:

New Beginnings Girls Academy

What in the actual name of everloving gently caress

quote:

There were two girls that I graduated with who were forced to get a tan before graduation. They were told that they were too “white” and that was a sin because being white was something that “gothic” people did. They wanted to talk to their parents about it but the directors would not let them tell them. They were made to stay outside during practically the whole time we were in school for, I'd guess, 6 hours a day with tanning oil all over them while we could see them out the window. I remember looking out there and feeling bad for them because they did not want to get a tan but they had no choice. They tanned until they were burnt and their knees were purple and they had huge blisters. The tanning did not stop until a few days before graduation.

quote:

I was 15 when I went in to the home and I turned 16 there. I remember my 16th birthday unlike most. It was by far the worst birthday of my life, if not the one of the worst days of my life altogether. We were in Mission, Texas on one of the tours and we were sleeping in this building filled with bunk beds with no sheets and plastic mattresses. It was so hot, had to be over 100 degrees, and I just remember sticking to this mattress all night long. That morning of my 16th birthday [b[Bro. Mac told me that my grandfather had cancer and was going to die and it was my entire fault because I was wicked.[/b] I think it was at that point where I completely shut God out all together from my heart because I became so numb and so cold to everything. I knew that my only purpose at this point was survival.

quote:

I also remember the night pretty vividly in Dorm One when Brother Mac told us that black people were “cursed people." I just remember being so disgusted that he said the Bible said it. He went on and on about it for at least a ½ an hour and right in front of the black girls in the home without any rhyme or reason to it. The man was completely heartless throughout his entire rant. Speaking down to them, stating things like their family and heritage were all cursed before God.

Goddamn. That's just...horrific. Poor girls :smith:

There is a documentary/news article on this site from 5 years ago, I've just started watching it

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/independent-fundamental-baptist-discipline-call-tough-love-abuse/story?id=13310172

eta- it's not specifically about the Girl's School above, but some horrifying church that punishes a girl for getting pregnant from a rape by one of the other members of the congregation. Sample- "You didn't cry out, so you were complicit in it" "Spanking a 2 week old baby is fine, you need to break its will"

Rondette has a new favorite as of 15:18 on Jun 1, 2016

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Jedit posted:

Which is why Britain is sane in this instance and America isn't. This guy wasn't arrested over freedom of speech. He was arrested because he was deliberately attempting to get other people to break the law by attacking him.

Oh, that's ridiculous. First, no he wasn't, and if he was, he was doing a really lovely job of it given the period of time over which he wore it and the utter lack of attacks on his person that resulted. Making speech illegal on the grounds that "well, that sort of speech really pisses people off and makes them break the law" is enabling the heckler's veto, and tells people "If you don't like a particular sort of speech, just get violent when you see it, because then we'll make it illegal." Second, the law he was actually charged violating with doesn't even meet your not-very-narrow description.: "he displayed writing which was threatening, abusive, insulting and caused harassment, alarm or distress." Unless you're arguing that being able to arrest people and charge them with a crime for merely being insulting and causing "alarm" or "distress" is sane. Third, America has a "fighting words" exception to free speech as well, which means "words that by their very utterance are likely to incite an immediate breach of the peace." This guy's T-shirt doesn't even vaguely qualify, as again demonstrated by the fact that it failed to actually incite any breaches of the peace.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
imagine protecting that guys right to mock the deaths of innocent strangers being the hill you choose to die on

e: i think the guy should have been beaten by an angry crowd personally

fun hater has a new favorite as of 17:08 on Jun 1, 2016

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

fun hater posted:

imagine protecting that guys right to mock the deaths of innocent strangers being the hill you choose to die on

First Amendment absolutists always baffle me, every rule has some exception or else society wouldn't work.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Dreddout posted:

Reminds me of the documentay "Kidnapped for Christ".
coincidentally I juuuuust thought of a GREAT band name...

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Shillary posted:

First Amendment absolutists always baffle me, every rule has some exception or else society wouldn't work.

Yes. And the Supreme Court jurisprudence is that the exception is imminent danger, not (A) being disgusting or (B) doing something that will make people angry. I think this is a reasonable line. Wearing a "gently caress [your favorite group]" shirt is not saying "And beat me up if you disagree". We've tried that, and oddly enough the people beaten were often anti-war protestors, people being arrested by police, and so on. See also the Nazis marching through Skokie. Trying to provoke other people into being angry is not actually an excuse for assault.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
p.s. ALL HAIL KING FIRSTPERSONSHITTER

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Jedit posted:

Arresting anyone for trying to provoke anything is really really dumb. Like just as an idea is primarily empowers those who are already in power. The fact that those in power happen to be on the right side in this instance doesn't matter. If I blatantly use Waco of an example of crazy cultists who needed to be stopped I should not be arrested for provoking crazies to attack me. I might be an idiot if I do it in certain areas of rural Texas, and my death attached to the back of a pickup would be fairly expected. That doesn't mean it should be outlawed to keep me from seducing crazy rednecks to violent crime.

Hell just look at the Paedogeddon thread to see why Britain's speech laws are a despotic nightmare. Everyone knows that the majority of their politicians are pedophiles and have been using the mechanisms of power to cover up their raping of children, but even on a random internet forum people need to walk on eggshells about the whole thing to avoid having their lives ruined by libel/slander charges.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

fun hater posted:

Imagine defending the right of cops to arrest you based on the fact they didn't like your t-shirt. That's just loving crazy to me.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Nobody is "too lazy to do any research", you dummy. They haven't been equipped with the life skills to think about research! A frightened, worried mother was told by a person who spoke calmly and with authority that this camp can fix her son (he just won't do his schoolwork why does he do drugs why won't he listen to me), do you seriously think they pause and go "Eh, I could check this out, but that takes effort"?

Not everybody has been trained to be skeptical, don't be a doofus.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

As a progressive i think there are a lot of problems that can be solved with brutal executions

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Detailed list of what's wrong with the death penalty, imo:
- doesnt murder enough white people wearing bad tshirts
- not enough christians

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Jedit posted:

So the hypothetical people who would have attacked him have no agency in the matter? What prevented them from choosing to respond with something other than violence?

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Maybe the authorities could just make him turn his shirt inside out and send him to the principal's office. Or they could cover the shirt with some kind of black burqa-like garment.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

theflyingorc posted:

Nobody is "too lazy to do any research", you dummy. They haven't been equipped with the life skills to think about research! A frightened, worried mother was told by a person who spoke calmly and with authority that this camp can fix her son (he just won't do his schoolwork why does he do drugs why won't he listen to me), do you seriously think they pause and go "Eh, I could check this out, but that takes effort"?

Not everybody has been trained to be skeptical, don't be a doofus.

Being an easily-misled dumbass isn't a defence for doing something totally evil. That defence has never held up in court anywhere any time it's been tried. I love the characterization of these people as frightened and worried mothers. If your kid wanting to be a hair stylist frightens and worries you, you're a piece of poo poo.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Being an easily-misled dumbass isn't a defence for doing something totally evil. That defence has never held up in court anywhere any time it's been tried. I love the characterization of these people as frightened and worried mothers. If your kid wanting to be a hair stylist frightens and worries you, you're a piece of poo poo.

I personally like your portrayal of these people as pure evil people, probably killing puppy puppy dogs in their spare time. Question, if the parent finds out the horrible things that happened to their kids after the fact should they still hang?

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos

doodlebugs posted:

last seconds of the Jonestown Massacre

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5tpQcbyvK0

sorry for digging up a post from 20 pages ago but

"How do I make this scene of an actual shooting more intense? I'm just gonna play some HARD, loving METAL right now" :laffo:

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

''But I thought beating the poo poo out my kid would make him stop being a human being'' probably sounds like a good defense to some people in this thread for some reason.

Alain Perdrix
Dec 19, 2007

Howdy!
"Welcome to the something awful human typology index, please select:

1. in favour of public hangings
2. in favour of child abuse

thank you"

"Is there a third opt--"

"Welcome to the something awful human typology index, please select..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RikkiTikkiTavi
Aug 24, 2008

Here, have some content about a weird immersive movie set.

The Set That Ate Itself

quote:

The rumors started seeping out of Ukraine about three years ago: A young Russian film director has holed up on the outskirts of Kharkov, a town of 1.4 million in the country's east, making...something. A movie, sure, but not just that. If the gossip was to be believed, this was the most expansive, complicated, all-consuming film project ever attempted.

A steady stream of former extras and fired PAs talked of the shoot in terms usually reserved for survivalist camps. The director, Ilya Khrzhanovsky, was a madman who forced the crew to dress in Stalin-era clothes, fed them Soviet food out of cans and tins, and paid them in Soviet money. Others said the project was a cult and everyone involved worked for free. Khrzhanovsky had taken over all of Kharkov, they said, shutting down the airport. No, no, others insisted, the entire thing was a prison experiment, perhaps filmed surreptitiously by hidden cameras. Film critic Stanislav Zelvensky blogged that he expected "heads on spikes" around the encampment.

quote:

"Are you going to augment the city with CGI later?" I ask, just to ask something.
Khrzhanovsky jumps in place and winces. "See, if one of the guards heard you, he would fine me a thousand hryvnias [about $125]," he says. "Because you're my guest. It doesn't matter that I am the boss. I get frisked like everyone else. You can't use words that have no meaning in this world."
[...]
The fine system is the Institute's latest innovation. Khrzhanovsky decreed it a few months ago, fed up with staffers smuggling cell phones and talking about Facebook. Other finable offenses include tardiness, which costs a whole day's pay, and failure to renew the fake Institute pass. The program has been a hit. Not only has morale improved, a whole new euphemistic vocabulary has sprouted up. ("Google" is now "Pravda," as in "Pravda it.") The fine system has also fostered a robust culture of snitching. "In a totalitarian regime, mechanisms of suppression trigger mechanisms of betrayal," the director explains. "I am very interested in that."

quote:

Life on the project has a way of sucking people in. Since 2008, more than a few crew members stopped pretending this was a temporary gig and have moved to Kharkov. Most are fresh out of film school, but several have left behind serious careers. Some moved their families to Kharkov. Others started new families right here. Anton, a sad-eyed, bearded young man who minds the project's database of extras, has spent two and a half years on the project. His wife, whom he met here, had given birth two weeks before I arrived.

This article is is from 2011. The film was supposed to premiere in 2014, but as far as I can tell it's still in post production.

NPR bit on it
Photos of the set