Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice

Drunk Beekeeper posted:

Jake is out of surgery! They said he did well. One leg will be slightly shorter than the other, but not noticeable. They put in rods and plates and screws, he's a regular hardware store now. Hoping to see him tonight and possibly take him home tomorrow. He will have to be crated while he heals so he doesn't jump on furniture etc, which could injure him. The recovery is going to suck since he loves having the freedom of roaming the house and back yard. I will post post-op X-rays when we get them. Thanks all for the support. :unsmith:

Bonus (older) pic of his big stupid face:

Love the pic! So glad it went well!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

slap me silly posted:

I'm afraid this guy is going to that big sofa in the sky pretty soon. He's lost a ton of weight and has low blood cell counts - probably cancer of some sort. Not gonna do a bone marrow biopsy under anesthesia to find out the details, because he's twelve and a half. I'm sure I'll shed a tear for him when it comes, but he's had a good life :3:

E: working hard:

Im sorry bud, Im glad you have taken the hard decision to let nature take it's course. I feel it is undeniably selfish to keep a pet alive for your own benifit. It's really sad but very noble as I am sure you've had some amazing companionship with him. What's his name?

I was under the mistaken impression that greyhounds and related breeds would be too energetic for my taste but I have learnt the error of my ways. My new housemate has a greyhound cross (that keeps jumping the fence and running away to chase roos and horses :() and I am totally smitten with him. Such a beautiful lanky lazy dog, who happens to enjoy going for 8km sprints twice a day. To lighten the mood, here is a clip of him dominating the backyard.

Forgive me for the vertical video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lgYQtmZjFI

(I tried embedding but failed horribly)

lilbeefer fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Mar 24, 2016

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Holy poo poo! Yeah mine used to do that too, he would corner so hard he fell over sometimes :3: His name's Rocky. Completely inappropriate, he is a total softie

Uh, not 8km sprints though. More like 8m.

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

slap me silly posted:

Holy poo poo! Yeah mine used to do that too, he would corner so hard he fell over sometimes :3: His name's Rocky. Completely inappropriate, he is a total softie

Uh, not 8km sprints though. More like 8m.

He sounds beautiful. Im sure hes happy lazing around which seems to be the greyhound perogative :)

Slightly exaggerating the 8 km thing. But i have to confess my housemate excercises him by driving around the local (empty) gravel roads at a scary pace with Paddy in tow. He is typically away for 15 or 20 mins of HARD running. I'm sure this sort of behaviour is frowned upon but the dog loves it. My housemate has clocked him at 60km/h on the speed before while running along side, so we'll call it 55 kmh because speedos always read over. This is about 34 mph to non metric people. Not bad for a "wolfhound x".

For the record I do not condone getting your dog to chase your car habitually....

Anyway best wishes to you and Rocky :)

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

We only have this on insta, pls dont spam him or anthing. Paddy at full pace.

https://www.instagram.com/p/5qu9-sw4Zj/

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Wow! Can't quite tell, does he have the greyhound double suspension gait? Looks like it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wtuZzeulmI&t=90s

Drunk Beekeeper
Jan 13, 2007

Is this deception?
Jake has been home for a few hours now. Lots of whining, peed a couple times on the floor unfortunately. Lots of long, audible farts. Drinking water like a maniac. Post op X-ray is here:

Current status:

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
My mom decided that Wren was "too skinny" and got her a sweater.

Wren was obviously thrilled about this.

Drunk Beekeeper posted:

Current status:

Aw, well I'm glad your pup is okay. Hope he heals fast. :3:

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

Drunk Beekeeper posted:

Jake has been home for a few hours now. Lots of whining, peed a couple times on the floor unfortunately. Lots of long, audible farts. Drinking water like a maniac. Post op X-ray is here:

Current status:

Nice plate-rod fixation :thumbsup:

Just a word of warning: anesthesia can do funny things to their bowels, usually resulting in them not pooping for several days after surgery, but for Rory, it was the opposite: she had massive, blow-out rear end lava the day after her dental last summer. If he's already farting, well...speaking from experience, maybe keep him off of things that aren't machine washable. :)

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

slap me silly posted:

Wow! Can't quite tell, does he have the greyhound double suspension gait? Looks like it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wtuZzeulmI&t=90s

Ive never heard the term, thanks for introducing it to me. I haven't seen him close while galloping in situ (too fast!) But he seems to have to use the back half of his spine as a springboard, like a cheetah!

https://youtu.be/V8vejjVgIHg

Of course he probably isn't, but it seems like it.

Drunk Beekeeper
Jan 13, 2007

Is this deception?

pastor of muppets posted:

Nice plate-rod fixation :thumbsup:

Just a word of warning: anesthesia can do funny things to their bowels, usually resulting in them not pooping for several days after surgery, but for Rory, it was the opposite: she had massive, blow-out rear end lava the day after her dental last summer. If he's already farting, well...speaking from experience, maybe keep him off of things that aren't machine washable. :)

Good to know. No blowouts yet. He's struggling to walk and stay upright. Not sure how much of that is the sedative vs the actual physical issues. My wife set up a pillow and blanket on the floor so she could lay next to him. He got up, stumbled over there, and took a huge bloody piss right on the pillow. He then flopped onto the pillow, coating his side in the piss. We moved him back to his bed and he was like dead weight. He does seem to at least want to get out to pee, which is good. We're using a lot of Nature's Miracle.

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

Drunk Beekeeper posted:

Good to know. No blowouts yet. He's struggling to walk and stay upright. Not sure how much of that is the sedative vs the actual physical issues. My wife set up a pillow and blanket on the floor so she could lay next to him. He got up, stumbled over there, and took a huge bloody piss right on the pillow. He then flopped onto the pillow, coating his side in the piss. We moved him back to his bed and he was like dead weight. He does seem to at least want to get out to pee, which is good. We're using a lot of Nature's Miracle.

Those puppy pee pads that people use to teach their dog it's okay to pee in the house house break their dogs are great for post-op care, especially if he's already a fountain of pee. It's what we used in the hospital. You can carpet his kennel area with them and they make cleanup much, much easier than having to run a load of laundry every five minutes. The constantly peeing thing should taper off soon, though. He's probably loaded with IV fluids and like you said, probably pretty gorked from the drugs, so he's not getting his signals that he needs to go out yet.

pastor of muppets fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Mar 24, 2016

Drunk Beekeeper
Jan 13, 2007

Is this deception?

pastor of muppets posted:

Those puppy pee pads that people use to teach their dog it's okay to pee in the house house break their dogs are great for post-op care, especially if he's already a fountain of pee. It's what we used in the hospital. You can carpet his kennel area with them and they make cleanup much, much easier than having to run a load of laundry every five minutes. The constantly peeing thing should taper off soon, though. He's probably loaded with IV fluids and like you said, probably pretty gorked from the drugs, so he's not getting his signals that he needs to go out yet.

Yeah we are using pads, they helped soak up the blood oozing from his incision. But he still manages to move them around and somehow pee between them. My wife just brought home a 100 pack of them, we are gonna coat the place with them :)

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

:burger:April 1st is Tess's birthday, which means our dogs need to eat a burger.:burger:

Tess is a little timid about taking food. Casey is not. They both enjoyed their burger very much.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
:kimchi:

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

I am proud to have been even fractionally responsible for more greyhounds getting burgers.

Fuzz Feets
Apr 11, 2009

Happy Birthday Tess!

ghostgirl118
Oct 15, 2013

I've seen some shit
How is Jake feeling?

Drunk Beekeeper
Jan 13, 2007

Is this deception?

ghostgirl118 posted:

How is Jake feeling?

He is doing pretty well, thanks! He has cabin fever from restricted movement, so he whines for attention and entertainment, sometimes around 3am. He had some more X-rays last week and the vet has cleared him for light, short walks. We take him to a vet all the way across town who was a former vet at a greyhound track so we trust his judgement. His incision (around 10 inches) is nearly invisible at this point as his fur is growing back and it's healing nicely.

He's out of the crate completely and back to making GBS threads in the yard like a good dog. He went through a phase where he wouldn't get up or even move to pee, so it took a lot of constant cleanup. Went for his second walk today and got some looks from the neighbors, but I suppose he is limping pretty badly. Mrs. Beekeeper and I are very relieved that he is recovering so quickly. :)

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

Great to hear! At this point, the limping is probably more from lack of use than actual pain. It'll resolve itself the more he uses it.

Ghostgirl, how is Tatiana doing these days?

e: Some Rory pics since I haven't posted any in a while:

I work at the central office for a local school system then happens to share a building with the county's vocational and tech school. They have an Animal Medicine class, and every once in a while, the class will have a fundraiser where they'll do photo sessions, grooming, etc. for staff pets for a small donation. I brought The Roo in for just a bath since she's not exactly high maintenance on the grooming front. She spent the better part of the workday with the kids and the teacher said they loved her. They had all kinds of questions about her ear tattoos and her racing history. Rory is welcome back to hang out with them any time. :3:

pastor of muppets fucked around with this message at 16:34 on May 1, 2016

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Burger Dog owners,

My wife and I are in the process of getting a pair of hounds from a local adoption group. I previously adopted a greyhound about 7 years ago but had to part with him quickly due to separation anxiety and lack of space for a 2nd dog. So, I know a decent amount about the dogs and absolutely love them. I'm very excited this time because I think having a pair really is the way to go and a second person makes for a more stable environment as well.

I would like to ask y'all a couple of questions:

1) We could probably put two kennels in our apartment but its going to be tight and not the best aesthetic. We are wondering if its viable to instead dog proof the spare bedroom and let the dogs sleep on the bed and generally hangout in there when we are gone. Or maybe just give the dogs the run of the house, but that makes us both a little nervous especially at first. If two Kennels is best then we'll do it but we'd like to see what our options are before we make the change and buy the equipment.

2) Any advice for adopting a pair? Should we look for a certain gender pairing, age or personality match? I know greyhounds generally get along with other dogs extremely well and these are mostly ex-racers who should be very used to living with fellow dogs, but I'm not sure if there a good formula for finding two.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I have been considering the same thing . . . if I ever have more greyhounds after my oldster pops off I will probably have two at once. And if it was me, I would start with two crates in the spare bedroom and gradually expand from there over the first six months or a year. Especially if they haven't already been fostered for a while first. It sounds like a pain in the rear end to me too, but I expect you and the dogs will all be much more comfortable with that.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal
Gannon gets free run of the house these days and it's not an issue so that's not an unrealistic goal. Starting with the crates is a good idea though, especially if they haven't been fostered and house trained. You could definitely just use the entire spare bedroom as a "crate" if it was just one dog but with two they're gonna want to have their own clearly defined crates while they make the transition. Sharing a bed is gonna be a completely alien concept to them and I'd focus on knowing where and when to relieve themselves and getting them used to their new environment and schedule before throwing that curveball at them.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Lagomorphic posted:

Gannon gets free run of the house these days and it's not an issue so that's not an unrealistic goal. Starting with the crates is a good idea though, especially if they haven't been fostered and house trained. You could definitely just use the entire spare bedroom as a "crate" if it was just one dog but with two they're gonna want to have their own clearly defined crates while they make the transition. Sharing a bed is gonna be a completely alien concept to them and I'd focus on knowing where and when to relieve themselves and getting them used to their new environment and schedule before throwing that curveball at them.

If it makes a difference, most of the dogs we're looking at have been in foster homes for a bit of time and have experienced some of the home living idiosyncrasies like staircases and peeing outside. The most recent ex-racer has been in a home for ~6 months. I don't think they even let you adopt dogs straight from the track unless you've been dealing with them for a while.

It does sound like 2 kennels is really the best bet though since both of y'all are saying thats a safer route.

Xguard86 fucked around with this message at 19:25 on May 2, 2016

Drunk Beekeeper
Jan 13, 2007

Is this deception?
Any Arizona hound owners here? Or just Arizona goons thinking about getting a skinnydog? The track in Tucson is closing sometime before the end of the year. Local adoption groups are asking for help as they are already getting a lot more hounds than usual.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
omfg i want a whippet so bad

ghostgirl118
Oct 15, 2013

I've seen some shit
She's doing really well actually! She finished up chemo, and has started her low dose chemo. She moves around great, except for stairs of course. We've mostly given up on stairs, and just carry her up. She tends to get hurt if she tries. BUT, huge change, we got another dog! We had been talking about it for a while before we brought him home, but we thought that having another dog might cheer her up anyway. She was super happy when he came home, and I'm fairly sure she likes him. At least she certainly did until he discovered squeeky toys. She is less happy about the lack of quiet now. Update photo dump with new pup Regulus!!

Tatianna, still happy

on the way home!

Regulus is actually Tatianna's son, and he just came off the track. We got pretty lucky that we got along with her breeder, and she emailed me that he had failed racing. He happy and healthy which is lucky. I've never fostered a dog right off the track but I'm not working right now some I'm able to work with him at home alone. The only problem we have is that he's started eating the squeakys from his toys. He has vomited up the only one we thing he actually swallowed, but he keeps trying. Does anyone have a good way to redirect so that he plays with it but doesn't destroy it?

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

That's so cool that it's her son! He's beautiful. And it's great to hear her doing so well.

I'm afraid I don't have any advice as far as toys except to watch out with those squeakers. One may pass through just fine, but I once worked on a dog that had a dozen stuck in his stomach and had to be surgically removed. I wouldn't let him play with them unsupervised, at least.

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

I had to stop giving Remy squeaky toys at home because he ends up deciding the best time to chew them is around 3AM. You could try 'tough' toys if you still want to let him have them. They don't necessarily work with persistent dogs, but Remy tends to give up after a minute or two.

Drunk Beekeeper
Jan 13, 2007

Is this deception?

Lhet posted:

I had to stop giving Remy squeaky toys at home because he ends up deciding the best time to chew them is around 3AM. You could try 'tough' toys if you still want to let him have them. They don't necessarily work with persistent dogs, but Remy tends to give up after a minute or two.

Check these out: http://www.hear-doggy.com

We got some for Jake, it helps a lot when we're trying to sleep or watch a show. It's kind of amazing to squeeze the toy, hear nothing, and watch your dog's face perk up.

Fuzz Feets
Apr 11, 2009

Speaking of Jake, how is he doing?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Drunk Beekeeper posted:

Check these out: http://www.hear-doggy.com

We got some for Jake, it helps a lot when we're trying to sleep or watch a show. It's kind of amazing to squeeze the toy, hear nothing, and watch your dog's face perk up.

I have one of those, unfortunately Abby just kind of ignores most toys in general outside of the five minute window when they are brand new. Every so often one will perk her interest though.

She just had her yearly bath, and has smelled like oatmeal for a few days. She was getting a lot of dandruff so I figured it might be best.

I found out some sad news - one of her litter mates, Sugar, had to be put down after a cancer diagnosis. Her owner is a member of GPA here and was very helpful in getting my adoption of Abby done.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Is dandruff pretty normal? My vet gave me some kind of oily supplement to add to the dog food (Vitamin D maybe?) and it hasn't helped much. Also my dog is black so the dandruff is super noticeable.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
My black 'un has constantly had dandruff phases, it comes and goes. I was never able to figure out if there was anything in particular that triggered it.

Fuzz Feets
Apr 11, 2009

What a beautiful photo of Abby, thank you for sharing.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Fuzz Feets posted:

What a beautiful photo of Abby, thank you for sharing.

That's sugar, her sister that died.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

slap me silly posted:

My black 'un has constantly had dandruff phases, it comes and goes. I was never able to figure out if there was anything in particular that triggered it.
either when it gets a lot warmer, or when it gets a lot colder (and you crank up the heating indoors) for my dog

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Mine had really dry, flacky skin when we first got her. Fish oil pills helped out a lot. Seems like she got over it after a year or so. I assume it probably had something to do with her diet.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Sigh. Whippet chat. My parents decided to adopt a couple relatively young whippets recently: Thor in brindle, and Trix in brown.

They're named after these corn snacks. :v:

Our last whippet, Blake, died sometime around Thanksgiving 2014. Mom's been wanting another dog or two ever since (empty nest syndrome, all us kids are on our own now), but dad's been against it. (Red flag #1.) But, here they are, with two new puppies! They're about 1~1.5 years old, so still very young. (Red flag #2.)

Trix is apparently very similar to Blake, calm, quiet and definitely not insane-o running around like typical puppies. Thor, though...

Red flag #3. Yep, that's a chewed-through leash, a broken potted plant, and an attempted escape. :shepface: He's gonna be a handful.

Dad's pretty pissed off, especially since the dogs are really more my mom's idea than my dad's, and he's annoyed at having to contribute to taking care of them. Thor also apparently knows how to open doors??? Which freaks my parents out. My brother and sister are at the family home for now, so they're being monitored throughout the day, but when they're gone...we might have problems.

I feel like my mom kinda rushed into this decision (dad just sort of begrudgingly acquiesced to it), and I'm not sure they can handle puppies/a non-geriatric dog. Trix is great and all, but Thor might be too much for them, especially since they're used to an old, lazy fatass of a dog that didn't do much all day anyway. I'm worried that they might end up giving Thor back and keeping Trix, which kinda pisses me off.

It might be a bit too early for any useful advice, but is there anything to do to prevent more problems like this? My parents are mostly calling Thor's destruction a result of separation anxiety, which is weird because my brother and sister haven't actually been away yet.

In any case, welcome to poo poo motherfuckers :downs:

edit: Dad says his name is Thor, so whatever~

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 21:15 on May 31, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

We have a pair of 5 year old ex-racers just adopted 2 weeks ago. They've been excellent dogs but I have 1 concern around bedtime. I haven't gotten a solid night's sleep in weeks b/c the dogs just move around so drat much. Not like running around or anything overtly disruptive just little shifts and sighs and roll-overs that add up. I tried baby-gating them in the living room but 1 of girl cried almost all night and one of them (not sure which) had a pee accident.

I like having them in the room so I'd rather let them stay but drat I'm worried i'll never sleep right again. I've moved the two previously unused crates into the room and I'm slowly getting them comfortable with them. I'm hoping that the crates will limit some of the shuffling and give us a strong bedtime routine. I'm also running a white noise machine and hoping I'll adjust to two 50lb animals sleeping with me so I'm less sensitive to their movements.

What do y'all do with your dogs at night?