Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Samara posted:

All soldier 76 teams are nigh impossible to beat. Wow is that a crazy comp.

Heals. Speed boosts. Long range poke. Devastating ults when staggered.

Get 2 winstons and some ranged hitscan, either a 76 of your own or a widow or a mccree. Soldier really can't handle the double jump in very well, the two bubbles will last long enough for the winstons to melt anyone who sticks around. Your own hitscan guys ensure that happens. It is a pretty easy comp to break honestly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
My favorite part about Reaper is deflecting his ult as Genji. Might not save my team, but at least I can punish him and stop his ult halfway through. (In return, that same Reaper stopped me from flanking a lot, so it was pretty even!)

Basically I just love the reflect and I need to practice using it against Hanzo and Widowmaker.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

speaking of hanzo and genji, reflecting the scatter shot is hilarious and has netted me double kills a few times during this weekly brawl

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

jubelio posted:

I prefer the characters that can hoist a bad team up and drag them kicking and screaming across the victory screen. Torb, Widow, maybe Lucio and Reinhardt but not as much.

I guess Widow can carry if you're getting tons of kills, but even then only really on defense. I do love playing widow though.

Roadhog on the other hand can seriously carry a team, you can tank and heal yourself while also hooking enemy characters and murdering them one by one. And once you learn how to properly take advantage of his ult, its insane.

Reinhardt is also a pretty huge carry, the problem being that if he's really blocking for other people he can't also be fighting, and that means the team needs to shoot. If they're so dumb they can't hit the broad side of a barn, he isn't going to help at all, just stand around feeling frustrated that his team is useless. Roadhog isn't as tanky but doesn't have that problem at all.

Lucio and Mercy are so important to team success that one or the other is pretty much mandatory, but again if your team sucks at shooting you're still not going to be able to carry them kicking and screaming to victory.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Lúcio's doots also destroy clustered Symmetra turrets.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

HardDisk posted:

It does 25 damage, so it's a real good way to finish off injured enemies if your aim is kinda garbage.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

HardDisk posted:

I've come to the conclusion that Lucios doots are OP. Push people off cliffs, great at killing blows, throwing enemies off balance by tossing them around, destroying Syms turrets, pushing back roadhog/rein when they think they've closed the gap. The list just keeps going.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Is a body shot from a widowmaker's mercy-boosted sniper rifle enough to kill a 200hp player?

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Zombie Samurai posted:

It does 25 damage, so it's a real good way to finish off injured enemies if your aim is kinda garbage.

How's the range on that? Isn't it melee range anyway?

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Has the matchmaking gotten weird for anyone once they hit like level 30? I just got matched up against two level 70 guys while my team had two people around level 15

jarbv
Jul 10, 2004

Sometimes Mei's freeze is unreliable as gently caress. I froze someone and had them stop moving, immediately hit M2, and then they punched me in the face, killing me. I don't get how long people are supposed to be frozen or if I'm supposed to know exactly when it is safe to switch attack types.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Is a body shot from a widowmaker's mercy-boosted sniper rifle enough to kill a 200hp player?

No, it deals 195 damage (Mercy boosts for 30%). But you can just click again at any charge.

TASTE THE PAIN!!
May 18, 2004

A little more Lucio chat, just be careful spamming when there's a Roadhog on the other squad. I've been hooked quite a few times now without enough ammo to bop him back because I was firing mindlessly.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

It was in closed beta!!!! Only does 195 damage now though.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
e; i have bad info

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
They specifically nerfed Mercy's damage boost so that didn't happen because it was nigh-required for every team to have a damage-boosted Widowmaker.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

HardDisk posted:

No, it deals 195 damage (Mercy boosts for 30%). But you can just click again at any charge.

so what you're saying is, get a zenyatta to debuff and a mercy to buff the widowmaker. a perfect plan

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Help Im Alive posted:

Has the matchmaking gotten weird for anyone once they hit like level 30? I just got matched up against two level 70 guys while my team had two people around level 15

It seems to prioritize groups and W/L ratio over any other metric. That being said I've had a few groups of 15-25rank absolutely demolish opposing 25-45ranked groups.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

jarbv posted:

Sometimes Mei's freeze is unreliable as gently caress. I froze someone and had them stop moving, immediately hit M2, and then they punched me in the face, killing me. I don't get how long people are supposed to be frozen or if I'm supposed to know exactly when it is safe to switch attack types.

iirc it freezes for 1.5s

jubelio
Dec 10, 2003
if you can balance a tac-hammer on your head, you can head off your opponent with a balanced attack
In case anyone was wondering, yes the ranking system for master overwatch is garbage. Behold the 3rd best player in the world:

https://masteroverwatch.com/profile/pc/us/purposeful-1830

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Lady Naga posted:

They specifically nerfed Mercy's damage boost so that didn't happen because it was nigh-required for every team to have a damage-boosted Widowmaker.

Yeah I checked the furious paul page immediately after posting and did a double take because i coulda sworn the damage boost was 50%. But it isn't!

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Zaphod42 posted:

I guess Widow can carry if you're getting tons of kills, but even then only really on defense. I do love playing widow though.

Roadhog on the other hand can seriously carry a team, you can tank and heal yourself while also hooking enemy characters and murdering them one by one. And once you learn how to properly take advantage of his ult, its insane.

Reinhardt is also a pretty huge carry, the problem being that if he's really blocking for other people he can't also be fighting, and that means the team needs to shoot. If they're so dumb they can't hit the broad side of a barn, he isn't going to help at all, just stand around feeling frustrated that his team is useless. Roadhog isn't as tanky but doesn't have that problem at all.

Lucio and Mercy are so important to team success that one or the other is pretty much mandatory, but again if your team sucks at shooting you're still not going to be able to carry them kicking and screaming to victory.

Reinhardt is really fun to play with friends but I don't pick him much when solo because depending on your team to actually do things is just really frustrating.

Hey, maybe one of the three offense classes standing right behind me could maybe shoot through this shield at the torbjorn turret? No? Okay...

On the other hand once they actually figure out what the giant blue rectangle is for he's pretty good at convincing your team to actually push forwards and move onto the objective instead of just sitting around a chokepoint for 10 years waiting for a defender to charge out.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Willie Tomg posted:

Yeah I checked the furious paul page immediately after posting and did a double take because i coulda sworn the damage boost was 50%. But it isn't!

Closed beta invitationals were always interesting, especially now that we've had a post-release tournament that looks nothing like them.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
A reminder, rank level only informs a person how much someone else has played. not if they are actually any good.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

rank is just your total points earned, yeah? not exactly a great system but it's no worse than the normal leaderboards where the top is always hundreds or even thousands of people who played one game without dying/losing and then quit

jubelio
Dec 10, 2003
if you can balance a tac-hammer on your head, you can head off your opponent with a balanced attack

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Reinhardt is really fun to play with friends but I don't pick him much when solo because depending on your team to actually do things is just really frustrating.

Hey, maybe one of the three offense classes standing right behind me could maybe shoot through this shield at the torbjorn turret? No? Okay...

Same. Hey guys, I just knocked down 4 people and melee'd them to death. Could you possibly just shoot that reaper a few times before he murders you all? No, no, you're right I was out of position after that quad kill.

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

Manatee Cannon posted:

so what you're saying is, get a zenyatta to debuff and a mercy to buff the widowmaker. a perfect plan

The discord orb alone would be enough. I wonder if that would be the best way to get the Zenyatta Rapid Discord achievement; orb and snipe in rapid succession. Seems to be one of the tougher ones to get because of how far you generally are from the battle and the speed of the orb.

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.
From earlier Lucio talk, I find it useful to let me team know when some of them are starting to stray away from my aura. This does two things:

1: It warns them their infinite supply of beats by lucio is about to run out and they're on their own

2: it tends to keep a ground near the point, which is where I generally am (ducking behind a tank). I'm keeping my tank alive, so this generally keeps the team within line of sight of the tank, which means they're being a bit more useful near the point as opposed to chasing some rear end in a top hat genji right into an ambush.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Playing games where ranking is based on total time played (Overwatch, Rocket League, etc.) just goes to show that the standby of "10,000 hours of practice in your field indicates mastery" isn't necessarily true. Some people are capable of putting stupid amounts of time into something and still being garbage at it.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

whatspeakyou posted:

From earlier Lucio talk, I find it useful to let me team know when some of them are starting to stray away from my aura. This does two things:

Yes! Always let your team know they aren't by you. I've lost so many games in the final minute because my team is pushing to the enemy spawn because "we have the game in the bag" only for 2-3 of their guys to get past the line, get to the point and take out me and a torb, bastion, or sym and cap the point.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

ranking in rocket league is based off of wins, not time played. there's a leveling progression but that's not the same thing

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

DrSeRRoD posted:

The discord orb alone would be enough. I wonder if that would be the best way to get the Zenyatta Rapid Discord achievement; orb and snipe in rapid succession. Seems to be one of the tougher ones to get because of how far you generally are from the battle and the speed of the orb.

I feel like the best way to get that Zenyatta achievement would just be mopping up after a mei/reinhardt/zarya ult.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Manatee Cannon posted:

ranking in rocket league is based off of wins, not time played. there's a leveling progression but that's not the same thing

Yes I'm comparing the leveling of rocket league to Overwatch neither of them are really "rankings" but people call them that. But my point in the first place was that they both indicate time played, so what's the point in correcting me.

jubelio
Dec 10, 2003

PantsBandit posted:

Yes I'm comparing the leveling of rocket league to Overwatch neither of them are really "rankings" but people call them that. But my point in the first place was that they both indicate time played, so what's the point in correcting me.

pedantry. the reason for pretty much everything on the internet.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Sites like MasterOverwatch are cool but they are in no way accurate, as there are probably 10x as many players that play than will ever visit and have their stats added to the pool. It's just like astats.nl- point values for cheevos change as more people join the site.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

jubelio posted:

That extra second it takes to turn is kind of a big deal.

i've only accidentally placed a turret backwards once but i remember it being pretty dang quick to turn around, like almost instantly? same for when it turns around to kill a genji that's trying to gank it. definitely not a full second.

i'd have to test it to be sure. backwards turrets all day

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

PantsBandit posted:

the ranking system in overwatch is per class by how many points you have. like you can say it isn't really ranking if you want but that's pedantic. good or bad, that's what it's called so that's what it is. the ranking system in rocket league is separate from the leveling progression; they aren't the same thing so the comparison doesn't work. if you want to call it pedantic then ok but you're not exactly doing anything different here

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

PantsBandit posted:

Playing games where ranking is based on total time played (Overwatch, Rocket League, etc.) just goes to show that the standby of "10,000 hours of practice in your field indicates mastery" isn't necessarily true. Some people are capable of putting stupid amounts of time into something and still being garbage at it.

It's 10,000 hours of practice. People aren't necessarily practicing when they play Overwatch.

jubelio
Dec 10, 2003

Manatee Cannon posted:

the ranking system in overwatch is per class by how many points you have. like you can say it isn't really ranking if you want but that's pedantic. good or bad, that's what it's called so that's what it is. the ranking system in rocket league is separate from the leveling progression; they aren't the same thing so the comparison doesn't work. if you want to call it pedantic then ok but you're not exactly doing anything different here

The gently caress are you talking about? go to masteroverwatch.com, there is a cumulative rank as well as per character rank. We arent talking about the overwatch leveling system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Solumin posted:

My favorite part about Reaper is deflecting his ult as Genji. Might not save my team, but at least I can punish him and stop his ult halfway through. (In return, that same Reaper stopped me from flanking a lot, so it was pretty even!)

Basically I just love the reflect and I need to practice using it against Hanzo and Widowmaker.

Someone posted a Genji reflect on a loving High Noon shot earlier in this thread, good poo poo.