Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Deified Data posted:

It's no elevator to nowhere or "RETRIEVE THESE GREAT SOULS TO BYPASS THE SMALL PILE OF RUBBLE" but it's still unsatisfying.

Not only did the Great Monarch skip everything the emerald herald ever said, they also skipped leg day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
The statue apparently saws off its own head completely because if you look at it again after the cutscene its head is in the basin.

Also for some reason some of the Charge-enabled spears like the Pike get A scaling with INT/FTH infusions. Other ones stay at C-E forever in every stat because screw you.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

So uh Carthus/Smoldering Lake connection to DS2? Shield of Want, Dragonrider Bow, Wolnir's backstory that kinda fits I guess.. I don't think there's much to be had but I figure Old King's Antechamber doesn't necessarily HAVE to be referring to ODK..

Was going through thr area again and just thought it was neat, but ultimately just seems like fan service

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

are any of the lances good?

Greatlance/Pike are hilariously bad. Only slightly more damage than regular spears, with a much slower moveset. This would be fine if not for the fact that they saw fit to give none of the moves hyper armor, meaning it's a slow poking weapon you cannot reliably trade hits with! A far cry from the lances of DS2.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

turtlecrunch posted:

The statue apparently saws off its own head completely because if you look at it again after the cutscene its head is in the basin.

Also for some reason some of the Charge-enabled spears like the Pike get A scaling with INT/FTH infusions. Other ones stay at C-E forever in every stat because screw you.

so how did they raise the ladder back before things went to poo poo? did they replace the statue? does the statue grow a new head? why is the only way up to the castle a single ladder at the back of a church?

the answer, of course, is who cares but still it made me laugh when all that bullshit was just for lowing a ladder that honestly you could have just reached up and grabbed

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

How did people get around Lothric without someone on the other side of the doors to let them through?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

RBA Starblade posted:

Not only did the Great Monarch skip everything the emerald herald ever said, they also skipped leg day.

BEAR
SQUAT
SQUAT
LEST

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

The curse of the undead is to not be able to pull doors open

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
The answer is that no setting in the Souls series has ever been inhabited by people. They've existed in perfect stillness forever waiting for a Chosen to wander past and disrupt them. Any item descriptions that hint at the possibility of life ever having existed there are the delusions of a lonely Undead seeking meaning in the meaningless. This post started tongue-in-cheek but honestly I think this is probably the case.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

is there any place to farm large titanite shards before beating abyss watchers? the wiki says those big knights in cathedral of the deep drop them but i have killed those dudes a lot of times and they drop nothing..

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Atreiden posted:

The curse of the undead is to not be able to use his giant fuckoff sword or fire magic to bust down simple wooden doors

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Atreiden posted:

Is it still not kosher to post Far Side comics? Just pretend I posted Midvale School for the Gifted.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

I just wanna know why the Lothric Knights have such a hard on for decapitation.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Self-sacrifice. It makes sense in a country/society built on ritual self-immolation (linking the flame). Everybody is supposed to aspire to be the guy who dies for the greater good like the Lords of Cinder.

Manatee Cannon posted:

so how did they raise the ladder back before things went to poo poo? did they replace the statue? does the statue grow a new head? why is the only way up to the castle a single ladder at the back of a church?

the answer, of course, is who cares but still it made me laugh when all that bullshit was just for lowing a ladder that honestly you could have just reached up and grabbed

There's spiral staircases going up to the upper level, but there's a waist high swivel-fence blocking them, so they are 100% unusable for heroic Heroes on a Quest.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Ah yes the Waist-High Obstacle, Bane of Heroes.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Earwicker posted:

is there any place to farm large titanite shards before beating abyss watchers? the wiki says those big knights in cathedral of the deep drop them but i have killed those dudes a lot of times and they drop nothing..

No the farming spots all comes after. I don't think the cathedral knights drop them, I've farmed them for weapons on a couple of characters and only seen them drop titanite shards.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

MarshyMcFly posted:

...but you don't need to keep buying resin... you have carthus flame arc forever.

So what? Its not like you're gonna be starved for souls in this game unless you're making a new PvP build and have to buy tons of different items.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

I just wanna know why the Lothric Knights have such a hard on for decapitation.

Don't kinkshame

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jun 1, 2016

mechacop
May 12, 2014

Add me on SNES Live

Sakurazuka posted:

Pretty sure that's literally the level progression of Ghouls n Ghosts

Lol now I wanna do a GnG build where I remove armour every hit. Suggestions to make it rlly fun?

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

mechacop posted:

Lol now I wanna do a GnG build where I remove armour every hit. Suggestions to make it rlly fun?
You could wear the Old Knight Set and let the removal take care of itself :haw:

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
not mine
https://fat.gfycat.com/RemarkableVillainousFallowdeer.webm

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

That is known as a netcode ninja. They are feared throughout the land, and throughout time and space.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
that's some high level tech

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

So what? Its not like you're gonna be starved for souls in this game unless you're making a new PvP build and have to buy tons of different items.

So what? It's a waste of souls. You wouldn't buy crack red eye orbs from the vendor if you had the whole one. Or buy homeward bones if you have the sword fragment. Personally I'm a huge miser when it comes to everything so I have to get all the infinite use things so I don't need to waste souls buying things I don't need to buy.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The point is that if you have an attunement slot, it makes more sense to use something that you can't just replicate with a very low cost item.

Does int/faith make much of a difference in the flame arcs damage?

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Having an open spell slot is worth more than the souls you'd spend on resin.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Digirat posted:

The point is that if you have an attunement slot, it makes more sense to use something that you can't just replicate with a very low cost item.

Does int/faith make much of a difference in the flame arcs damage?

I think so. With 40int/40fth and a +10 pyro hand you have 207 spell buff, flame arc has 86% scaling so that's +178 damage. Considering that a lot of damage gets knocked off by flat reduction, that would be a significant increase.

MarshyMcFly posted:

So what? It's a waste of souls. You wouldn't buy crack red eye orbs from the vendor if you had the whole one. Or buy homeward bones if you have the sword fragment. Personally I'm a huge miser when it comes to everything so I have to get all the infinite use things so I don't need to waste souls buying things I don't need to buy.

You wouldn't put points into faith and attunement just to use the homeward miracle.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
deprived literally starts with the base stats for it there is no investment. also i'm dumb and forget to hit up vendors all the time.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

I think so. With 40int/40fth and a +10 pyro hand you have 207 spell buff, flame arc has 86% scaling so that's +178 damage. Considering that a lot of damage gets knocked off by flat reduction, that would be a significant increase.

You wouldn't put points into faith and attunement just to use the homeward miracle.

You laugh, but in demon's souls I upgraded faith just so I could use evacuate

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Atreiden posted:

The chosen undead is that dumb kid from the farside comic thats pushing on a pull door

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

MarshyMcFly posted:

Waste of an infinite resource you grind out easily.

Did it ever occur to you that by using flame arc you're wasting mana that could be used on other spells and weapon arts?

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
I absolutely level Faith for Homeward (when I wanna do something at least halfway related at least), there's nothing worse than "ugh I am almost out of homeward bones better buy some" *doesn't buy some* "god loving drat it" *dies, has little souls* *still doesn't buy the loving bones*

Especially in DS2 where for whatever reason you can't buy unlimited bones until more than halfway through the game.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Million Ghosts posted:

deprived literally starts with the base stats for it there is no investment. also i'm dumb and forget to hit up vendors all the time.

Nobody's arguing with that. If you've already got the stats for it, why not? But it's kind of dumb to invest the stats and spell slot specifically and only for something that can be replicated with items.

Digirat posted:

You laugh, but in demon's souls I upgraded faith just so I could use evacuate

I did that too in my first game of DS1. Then I realized how dumb that was.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
everyone should always run Deprived therefore you have 0 reason to not use Flame Arc :colbert: simple logic jeez

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Million Ghosts posted:

everyone should always run Deprived therefore you have 0 reason to not use Flame Arc :colbert: simple logic jeez

It still costs a spell slot and FP that could be used for other things.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
i'm not trying to argue, i'm actually really curious what else i can do with 10 int/fth that would be halfway useful.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Magic weapon before you can buy the magic resins actually since those appear later than charcoal resins.

Fire orb is good early on against some fire weak enemies like the giant tree swingers with spooky skulls in the swamp.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

the superior pyromancy that grants poise for lower int/faith

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
wait poise that actually does something or 'poise'? i also totally didn't notice magic weapon has the same lax stat requirements time to play around with that a bit too.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

poise that does something. (iron flesh)

of course you can't really...move but that's not so much a problem in pve. in pvp its good if you're ever in a confined space with someone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

I did that too in my first game of DS1. Then I realized how dumb that was.

It actually makes sense in DeS since the homeward bone equivalent (shard of archstone) is incredibly rare.