Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Electric Hobo posted:

Weird. Mine don't separate on my palette at all. They really need a black/brown undercoat if you want them to cover properly though.
It's good paint IMO, the gold set has pretty much replaced Vallejo's Liquid Gold for me.

I use one of those weird porous-paper-on-wet-sponge wet palettes because the place I live has less than 10% humidity nearly year round. It means wet blending is pretty much impossible but I don't need to wait very long between layers when glazing.

I heard scale75 paints are especially bad at wet-blending / good at glazing, so if you live in a desert like me they are probably ideal.

I wouldn't know though, I've never been able to get wet-blending to work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

I don't normally do this, but crossposting my oath here:

Signal posted:

Oath Complete!

Alguaciles

Their brave leader (and the model I'm least happy with)

Jaguars

Bandit (sneaky bastard is in my oath declaration post, but I forgot to call him out. Hope he still counts)

Claiming Journal for Daenerys Lupe's shoulder dragon. Also claiming the SquadGoals Achievement, which I believe these qualify for.

Ignoring Lupe, who's kinda just bad, what should I be working on? I also know my photos aren't great, but that's a different issue.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Thanks for all the replys guys! Glad to know I can go with pretty much any brand, I'm even more torn now haha. So pumped to get back in.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

always be closing posted:

Thanks for all the replys guys! Glad to know I can go with pretty much any brand, I'm even more torn now haha. So pumped to get back in.

I missed the original question, but here's my list of paints across all the major brands that people recommend the most often: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3705692&perpage=40&pagenumber=109#post451418381

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Avenging Dentist posted:

I missed the original question, but here's my list of paints across all the major brands that people recommend the most often: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3705692&perpage=40&pagenumber=109#post451418381

Could probably add the entire Vallejo Metal Color line :v:

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

TTerrible posted:

Could probably add the entire Vallejo Metal Color line :v:

Added, thanks!

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Mango Polo posted:

I put this together as a reference, maybe it'll help.

^^ For those unaware of how lovely they are.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Cross-posting my WMH Archidon from the Oath thread:

This rear end in a top hat was the first thing I've painted in 5 years and it was kind of a poo poo storm. I'm happy with him for tabletop/arms length/cell phone sized pic but I shutter to think what he looks like full sized on a computer screen.

GoodBee's How Not to Paint a Mini
My first problem was the primer. I didn't have any. I'd ordered some black because that's what I want to use on most of my army. I felt this guy should be primed a lighter color, like I think I did the two lizard monsters in the background. My friend was nice enough to bring over some Army Painter Bone Primer for me. Unfortunately I hosed up the priming and it ended up fuzzy. I don't have anything to strip it with and I'm lazy so I decided, gently caress it, and scrubbed him a bit with an old toothbrush, then hit him with more primer. He was still a little fuzzy.

I guess my real first problem was assembly. I built this rear end in a top hat about five years ago and he's been banging around with my D&D minis. He's been broken and repaired a couple of times. There was some half-assed gap filling and super glue fingerprints that really stood out after priming.

My metal is pretty simple, paint black, drybrush a couple of silvers, call it a day. It looks extra bad when fuzzy.

His skin is base coated, drybrushed, then washed. Unfortunately the paint I used to make my own wash wasn't cooperating. The red and brown pigments in it kept sinking to the bottom and the green kept floating to the top. To be clear, this was one pot of paint, I didn't get ambitious and try to blend my own color out of red, brown and green. It just didn't cooperate with my mix of dish soap, water and matte medium.

Wings are hard. I think you can kind of see where the pigments separated on them.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

always be closing posted:

Picking up an old Mordheim Undead warband, need to paint about 10 zombies, a necromancer, a vampire and some wolves. I have no paints, so need some good color and brand recommendations, I am fine with paying for Citadel paints, but not opposed to Vallejo if they are of equal quality(seems they are).

I watched Sorastro's Zombie painting tutorial, so I think i will be using his awesome Army Painter quickshade method, and finishing all my models with the Testor's Dullcote. Im really just looking for a nice starter set of paints for the dark dank city of Mordheim.
FYI, keep your paints on the lighter side - if you go for dark, the AP Quickshade is going to darken everything and make it all muddy. If that's that you're going for, that's fine. but if you want to have a little color, go a bit brighter.

Also, don't waste your time highlighting - just paint your basecoat. It will look like crap, but the AP will settle into the recesses and create shadow and "highlights" for you.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe

Signal posted:

I don't normally do this, but crossposting my oath here:

Ignoring Lupe, who's kinda just bad, what should I be working on? I also know my photos aren't great, but that's a different issue.

You should normally do that, though; your stuff is looking good! Don't be afraid to show off! (I'm still marveling at the little things, like your mutant ability to consistently superglue those clear plastic discs to your minis without them turning into a glazed-over mess.)

For content, here are my dudes from this month's Oath.

(I haven't finished the scenic base I originally intended for the worm, but that's only because I haven't started it yet. Hopefully within the next few days I'll get that completed and photographed....)

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

berzerkmonkey posted:

Also, don't waste your time highlighting - just paint your basecoat. It will look like crap, but the AP will settle into the recesses and create shadow and "highlights" for you.

You can also sparingly reapply the base color as a "highlight" after washing, and it'll look pretty sharp. I know a guy who does only this (base, wash, touch-up) and his stuff looks great relative to the amount of work he puts in.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

berzerkmonkey posted:

FYI, keep your paints on the lighter side - if you go for dark, the AP Quickshade is going to darken everything and make it all muddy. If that's that you're going for, that's fine. but if you want to have a little color, go a bit brighter.

Base>highlight>wash looks better.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

We are talking about the Army Painter, thick, goopy, non-acrylic Quickshade or Army Painter's acrylic wash?

Don't highlight before gooping, it defeats the point of the goop which is basecoat -> apply goop -> matte varnish -> base and done.

You can highlight after but I'd honestly use something that behaved a little better than the goop if I wanted to do an effort paint job.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

berzerkmonkey posted:

Great tip, thanks.

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Their flashing tongues, spitting out blood and poison.
Fun Shoe
cross-postin' from the Oath thread. I oathed a ton of gak, this is the fun one though.

Lizard-dude piloting an Ork fighta

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
I should post pictures of my minis more often. Here's some crosspostin' from the oath thread

Lord Hypnostache posted:

I was just about to hit bed when I remembered I hadn't uploaded my oath complete pictures yet. So, here we go! I even remembered to add in my username, something I had difficulties with last season.

With a right color scheme, Empire Wizards make fine Necromancers.

Claiming Where are my dragons! since these are fantasy themed armoured skellingtons. I also gave them a Night's Watch inspired banner, though I'm not too pleased with my freehand skills. Eh, good enough.

Also claiming #Squadgoals since that is also a complete troop of Revenants for Kings of War.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
What's a good airbrush primer?

Edit: also, which Vallejo airbrush metallic looks the most like Reaper's True Silver?

wdarkk fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jun 1, 2016

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Vallejo airbrush primers are pretty awesome. Not the normal dropper pot that says "Primer Grey" as that's just a colour match. The actual 200ml polyurethane ones.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

wdarkk posted:

Edit: also, which Vallejo airbrush metallic looks the most like Reaper's True Silver?

http://www.badgerairbrush.com/Stynylrez.asp

http://www.acrylicosvallejo.com/es_ES/surface-primer/familia/22

Yeast fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jun 1, 2016

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I wanted to cross-post that hydra from the Oath Thread:

That stupid pose looks way more menacing when he's rotated about 30 degrees!

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I was hiding under your bench because I don't want to work out
Does anyone know of any tutorials on building your own thingy that you mount the mini on while you paint it so you dont have to touch it while you paint it? They tend to have a bit at the top you can rest fingers on.

I dont even know what to call it so googling it has not been fruitful.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
A helping hand?

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

wdarkk posted:

Badger Stynlrez is great and all I use. But then I'm a big fan of Badger. I've heard from some scale modelers that the Vallejo primer is too plasticky and doesn't stick well, but who knows how well anyone is cleaning and prepping a surface they're painting on.

Lethemonster posted:

Does anyone know of any tutorials on building your own thingy that you mount the mini on while you paint it so you dont have to touch it while you paint it? They tend to have a bit at the top you can rest fingers on.

I bought 50 used wine corks and stuck paper clips into them. I also drilled holes into a bit of scrap wood to hold the corks. It's a bit much since I only really needed a few, but Blu-Tak or Uhu's White Tack on top of an old pill bottle or even a thick wooden dowel provides more of a handhold. There's someone that's making really posh ones with a metal bit that extends over the model for your index finger to rest on, but those are about 15 euros apiece, I reckon I could make one myself for cheaper.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Lethemonster posted:

I dont even know what to call it so googling it has not been fruitful.

If it's already on the base: old paint pot/pill bottle/cork + blutac
If it's not on the base but has metal tabs/pins underfoot: document binder clip.
If it's not on the base and has nothing to put into the base: pin the feet, see #1.

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

They are all too small for me - I can't grip small things for a long time. *snort snort*

It did at some point occur to me to google "miniature holder" and voila, I found all the things I wanted.

I'm gonna try making a set of them from some air dry clay I've got that have wider, relaxed grips and slots to put model bases in. Gotta go buy some heavy duty wiring to make finger rests from and some more blu tak for sticking minis to whatever I make.

I noticed my blu tak was missing when I went to use it to mask off bits of my necron scythe. The mystery was solved when I found the dog frowning in the garden struggling to get out his tacky-poos.

I hope you enjoyed this post.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Lethemonster posted:

I noticed my blu tak was missing when I went to use it to mask off bits of my necron scythe. The mystery was solved when I found the dog frowning in the garden struggling to get out his tacky-poos.

/thread

that's it, thread's done! :golfclap:

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Lethemonster posted:

They are all too small for me - I can't grip small things for a long time. *snort snort*

It did at some point occur to me to google "miniature holder" and voila, I found all the things I wanted.

I'm gonna try making a set of them from some air dry clay I've got that have wider, relaxed grips and slots to put model bases in. Gotta go buy some heavy duty wiring to make finger rests from and some more blu tak for sticking minis to whatever I make.

Those square containers chessex dice come in are pretty nice, and larger than a pill bottle. They're 1.5" x 1.5" x 3". Fairly easy to hold onto.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Lethemonster posted:

Glue three corks from wine bottles together; plenty of size and extra stability for setting it down.

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

Stop offering reasonable and cheap home made options damnit, I want to expand my gadget collection :argh:

I am very much one of those people who spends more time collecting and reading things than actually doing the thing.

Edit: Dog is currently digesting an arm from a now out of production Black Reach special character model and god help me if I can't find a replacement I'm going to have to sift poo.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
I'm a terrible gearhead as well...for anything, whether it's sports, painting, models, games, whatever.

I'm even worse when thinking 'WEEEllllll...*I* could make that...'

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
Another project finished! (X-posted from the 30K thread)

I had a lot of fun putting this guy together.

Seriously an enormous chunk of resin.

Just as sexy from the other side. Yes, the lascannon sponsons move.

Top view!

Gunner detail view.

Invictus Lex - Undefeated Law

Hoc est inimicus in finem - this end towards the enemy

Painted the interior bay before slapping it together.

Praenuntius - Harbinger

Mortis Volubilis - Rolling Death

Ultio - Vengeance

Domitor - Conqueror

Pew intensifies.

I switched out the front casemate heavy bolters for heavy flamers - the kit didn't come with any so I stole a pair of heavy flamers from leftover Sentinel bits.

Hell of a view from the front.

Illud - Bring it!

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."

Drake_263 posted:

Another project finished! (X-posted from the 30K thread)

I had a lot of fun putting this guy together.

Seriously an enormous chunk of resin.

Just as sexy from the other side. Yes, the lascannon sponsons move.

Top view!

Gunner detail view.

Invictus Lex - Undefeated Law

Hoc est inimicus in finem - this end towards the enemy

Painted the interior bay before slapping it together.

Praenuntius - Harbinger

Mortis Volubilis - Rolling Death

Ultio - Vengeance

Domitor - Conqueror

Pew intensifies.

I switched out the front casemate heavy bolters for heavy flamers - the kit didn't come with any so I stole a pair of heavy flamers from leftover Sentinel bits.

Hell of a view from the front.

Illud - Bring it!

That's a beautiful tank right there. Speaking of the Horus Heresy I decided to revisit everyone's favorite primarch Lorgar. I wasn't very happy with his armor or his face so I just decided to redo everything. Still have a few details rap up as well as reattaching his mace but Im really happy with the new and improved Lorgar. As always comments and criticism are welcome.

The Sisko fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jun 1, 2016

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
I love it!

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

The Sisko posted:

That's a beautiful tank right there. Speaking of the Horus Heresy I decided to revisit everyone's favorite primarch Lorgar. I wasn't very happy with his armor or his face so I just decided to redo everything. Still have a few details rap up as well as reattaching his mace but Im really happy with the new and improved Lorgar. As always comments and criticism are welcome.

Awesome work, love the pale and sickly color to his face - Chaos must really be taking a toll!

Scowny
Jul 11, 2006

Nice guy, that Kharne
I don't think I've ever dared look in this thread before, but since I've started Oathing, here's my crosspost:
C&C definitely welcome, I'm trying to get into painting in a serious way now - I've got a huge backlog of models (who doesn't?) and barely get to game anymore, so I want to actually get something out of what I've got. I even tried entering a painting competition with this Raptors Sgt. Telion:

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Scowny posted:

I've got a huge backlog of models (who doesn't?)

Fact: If every mini you own is completely painted, you will die. Can't let that happen.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Scowny posted:

I don't think I've ever dared look in this thread before, but since I've started Oathing, here's my crosspost:

C&C definitely welcome, I'm trying to get into painting in a serious way now - I've got a huge backlog of models (who doesn't?) and barely get to game anymore, so I want to actually get something out of what I've got. I even tried entering a painting competition with this Raptors Sgt. Telion:

Could you try taking some photos close up? Even at full size I can't see Telion well enough to really offer a critique.

As for backlogs, my dad painted some models ~2 years ago that he'd bought on his honeymoon. His honeymoon was 40 years ago.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

SRM posted:

As for backlogs, my dad painted some models ~2 years ago that he'd bought on his honeymoon. His honeymoon was 40 years ago.
Yeah, I have poo poo still in blister that's probably 30 years old at this point. :cripes: I did force myself to rigidly adhere to a "no more WW2 minis until I have at least one completely painted force" policy, though. Made letting that 20% discount + free shipping offer from Warlord Games expire feel like a punch to the gut, though.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

The Sisko posted:

I really like how you did the gold. It's something I really struggle with. What did you use/how did you do the gold?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

I finally got rid of some old, unpainted minis I was never going to want to play with. The friend I gave them to then gifted me an unopened Perdita starter box from Malifaux to go along with the Order models I might get around to painting eventually.